GL Account Setup - Tender Over/Short Posting

While I've gotten my GL setup to post batches correctly to Quickbooks
2003, I'm having trouble with batches that contain any over or short
amount in the various tender types.  Currently I have one batch in
which closing amounts were entered incorrectly for cash and
visa/mastercard.  While I can create a GL entry in quickbooks basically
re-creating the way it "should" post, I can't get RMS to actually post
the batch correctly.  I have been using the "tender over/short" field
and posting to a Cash on Hand account in quickbooks.  Any ideas why
this wouldn't work?

Like I said, all other batches are posting correctly and this is the
only difference I can see between the previous batches and this one.

Thanks!

0
chris7718 (9)
5/13/2005 8:07:22 PM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Chris,

Which tender values are being sent to QB, and which tender values are left
blank (i.e. Tender Rcvd, Opening, Closing, Over/Short, etc.)?

Thanks,
Matt

"Chris" <chris@overturemusic.com> wrote in message
> While I've gotten my GL setup to post batches correctly to Quickbooks
> 2003, I'm having trouble with batches that contain any over or short
> amount in the various tender types.  Currently I have one batch in
> which closing amounts were entered incorrectly for cash and
> visa/mastercard.  While I can create a GL entry in quickbooks basically
> re-creating the way it "should" post, I can't get RMS to actually post
> the batch correctly.  I have been using the "tender over/short" field
> and posting to a Cash on Hand account in quickbooks.  Any ideas why
> this wouldn't work?
>
> Like I said, all other batches are posting correctly and this is the
> only difference I can see between the previous batches and this one.
>
> Thanks!

0
mrocha (144)
5/13/2005 9:42:00 PM
I have Tender Recieved and Tender Over/Short setup, all other tender
values are being left blank.

This seems to be the key, but I've tried various combinations with no
luck.

-Chris

0
chris7718 (9)
5/13/2005 10:47:10 PM
Chris,

When setting up QB for Tender Received, do the following:

1. Set credits and debits for drops and payouts.  Have you done drops or
payouts on the batch?  All go to cash type accounts except for payout's
debit, which is an expense type.
2. Tender Received should be a debit only to cash type.
3. Opening and Closing amounts should be blank.
4. Tender Over/Short is a credit only to cash type.

Do you use multiple cash currencies (ex. US & Canada at the same register)?
You'll need to debit to a cash type account.

I hope this helps.

Good luck,

> I have Tender Recieved and Tender Over/Short setup, all other tender
> values are being left blank.
>
> This seems to be the key, but I've tried various combinations with no
> luck.
>
> -Chris

0
mrocha (144)
5/13/2005 11:06:25 PM
Chris,

Also, what was your posting error message?

Thanks,
Matt

"Chris" <chris@overturemusic.com> wrote in message
> I have Tender Recieved and Tender Over/Short setup, all other tender
> values are being left blank.
>
> This seems to be the key, but I've tried various combinations with no
> luck.
>
> -Chris

0
mrocha (144)
5/13/2005 11:21:11 PM
Matt,

Actually, this is how it was set up before.  I didn't mention the drops
or payouts.  Everything is directing toward a single cash account for
both received and tender over/short.  I didn't do any drops or payouts
on the batch in question.

And, I'm only working with US currency, though my tender rounding error
is set to the same cash account.

The error I'm getting is a batch not in balance.  :-(  What's strange
is that the total for the batch is correct.  I.e. the amount I'm over
in one tender type is matched by the amount I'm short in the other
tender type.

Do you know if the Register Analysis Report the best/only way to view
what accounts RMS is posting to?  I haven't been able to find another
report that gives me all the info I think I need.

0
chris7718 (9)
5/13/2005 11:46:09 PM
Chris,

If you get that error it may not be just the tenders that are an issue.  How
do you handle cost of goods, sales, and sales taxes?  Do you have
commissions?  Do you do orders and/or layaways?

> Matt,
>
> Actually, this is how it was set up before.  I didn't mention the drops
> or payouts.  Everything is directing toward a single cash account for
> both received and tender over/short.  I didn't do any drops or payouts
> on the batch in question.
>
> And, I'm only working with US currency, though my tender rounding error
> is set to the same cash account.
>
> The error I'm getting is a batch not in balance.  :-(  What's strange
> is that the total for the batch is correct.  I.e. the amount I'm over
> in one tender type is matched by the amount I'm short in the other
> tender type.
>
> Do you know if the Register Analysis Report the best/only way to view
> what accounts RMS is posting to?  I haven't been able to find another
> report that gives me all the info I think I need.

0
mrocha (144)
5/13/2005 11:58:00 PM
Matt,

Most of my batches are posting just fine.  I don't do layaways or
comissions.  I'm using work orders, but it's my understanding that
these shouldn't affect anything because I don't take a deposit.

My Sales are posting to the "Sales:Total" account and COGS are all
being posted to the "COGS: Total".  I only collect one sales tax which
is posting to Tax Collected: "XXXX".  I'm not using the
Sales:Total+Tax.

I do have departments set up, but am using them to keep track of
product suppliers not to track COGS or Sales.  Could this be an issue?

I am shipping using the Shift F1 function, but while the shipping fee
collected doesn't seem to be represented under anything on the Register
Analysis Report (i.e. it shows up as an over / short amount at the
bottom of the report), this is posting just fine to my quickbooks
ledger in other batches.

It seems suspicious that the only batches that aren't posting are the
ones that have issues with tenders being over or short - yet the way I
have it set up is what both my partner and accountant recommended.

0
chris7718 (9)
5/14/2005 12:20:20 AM
Chris-

Change your accounting setup to Quickbooks file, then export to a file.
You will be able to see exactly what it is trying to post to
Quickbooks. Then you can determine exactly what needs to be fixed. This
will also mark the batch as posted, so you won't have to worry about
actually posting this batch - you can just hand enter the correct
information. Then - just change your accounting setup back to
Quickbooks direct.

Jared

0
Jared
5/14/2005 3:44:31 PM
Chris,

Jared is correct.  Please temporarily switch to QuickBooks file and post a
"failed batch" to a file to see what is wrong.
If possible, please list here what you set up for the GL account table.

Regards,

Kevin Pham

"Jared" <jared@2amconsulting.com> wrote in message
> Chris-
>
> Change your accounting setup to Quickbooks file, then export to a file.
> You will be able to see exactly what it is trying to post to
> Quickbooks. Then you can determine exactly what needs to be fixed. This
> will also mark the batch as posted, so you won't have to worry about
> actually posting this batch - you can just hand enter the correct
> information. Then - just change your accounting setup back to
> Quickbooks direct.
>
> Jared

0
kevinpha (33)
5/18/2005 6:17:09 PM
Kevin,

Cogs:Total
Customer Deposit:Made
Customer Deposit:Redeemed
Layaway: CLosed
Layaway: paid
Shipping Charge: Total
Store Account: Paid On and Paid To
Tender Dropped
Tender Paid Out
Tender Rounding Error: Total
Tender Over/Short
TEnder Received
Tax Collected: State Tax

That's it...

0
chris7718 (9)
5/18/2005 6:33:47 PM
Chris,

Please give more info, such as:

                                                        Debit Account
Credit Account
            Tender Received                            111
            Tender Over/Short
222
            Tax collected
333

I do not see  Sales: Total in your list.  It may cause the problem

Kevin

> Kevin,
>
> Cogs:Total
> Customer Deposit:Made
> Customer Deposit:Redeemed
> Layaway: CLosed
> Layaway: paid
> Shipping Charge: Total
> Store Account: Paid On and Paid To
> Tender Dropped
> Tender Paid Out
> Tender Rounding Error: Total
> Tender Over/Short
> TEnder Received
> Tax Collected: State Tax
>
> That's it...

0
kevinpha (33)
5/18/2005 8:48:28 PM
Kevin,

Revised with Quickbooks Accounts:

Cogs:Total  - Debit: COGS - Credit: Inventory Asset
Customer Deposit:Made  - Credit: Customer Deposits
Customer Deposit:Redeemed  - Debit: Customer Deposits
Layaway: CLosed  - Debit: Layaways
Layaway: paid - Credit: Layaways
Sales: Total - Credit: Sales
Shipping Charge: Total - Credit: Ship & Handling Fees Collected
Store Account: Paid On - Debit: AR - RMS
and Paid To - Credit: AR - RMS
Tender Dropped - Credit & Debit - Cash
Tender Paid Out - Debit: Miscellaneous Expenses - Credit: Cash
Tender Rounding Error: Total - Debit: Cash
Tender Over/Short - all Credit to Cash
TEnder Received  - All Debit - cash to Cash drawer, other tenders to
Undeposited Funds
Tax Collected: State Tax - Sales Tax Payables (not the default sales
tax account).

-Chris

0
chris7718 (9)
5/19/2005 5:22:08 PM
Chris,

Your GL configuration looks correct.  I am going to contact you offline to
see what is wrong.

~Kevin

> Kevin,
>
> Revised with Quickbooks Accounts:
>
> Cogs:Total  - Debit: COGS - Credit: Inventory Asset
> Customer Deposit:Made  - Credit: Customer Deposits
> Customer Deposit:Redeemed  - Debit: Customer Deposits
> Layaway: CLosed  - Debit: Layaways
> Layaway: paid - Credit: Layaways
> Sales: Total - Credit: Sales
> Shipping Charge: Total - Credit: Ship & Handling Fees Collected
> Store Account: Paid On - Debit: AR - RMS
> and Paid To - Credit: AR - RMS
> Tender Dropped - Credit & Debit - Cash
> Tender Paid Out - Debit: Miscellaneous Expenses - Credit: Cash
> Tender Rounding Error: Total - Debit: Cash
> Tender Over/Short - all Credit to Cash
> TEnder Received  - All Debit - cash to Cash drawer, other tenders to
> Undeposited Funds
> Tax Collected: State Tax - Sales Tax Payables (not the default sales
> tax account).
>
> -Chris

0
kevinpha (33)

2Up Post Cards & Merge
Need to send post cars with custom template and photo on one side, address info on other. Using Avery 8386. Having some problems. I created a master page of a background gradient with text overlay with some space reserved for a unique photograph, i.e. each card with have a different photo and different address. Haven't got to addressing yet. Using a SINGLE IMAGE per page, I inserted different photos on each page. WHen I print preview I do get cards each with a different photo. Now I need to add in the backs of the post-cards and the addressing. Confused. Do I add the postca...

Can Outlook be setup like Express with Messenger contacts appearance?
I just installed the Windows Messenger into our Windows 2000 network. Does anyone know if it is possible to make Outlook 2000 and Windows Messenger more interactive? Here is what I am looking for. 1). Inside of Outlook, contact list appears (similar to Outlook Express) 2). Contact list shows all users of exchange in Groups (Created once at Server) 3). Limit users from changing settings Please Advise. ...

outlook email account
i am tryig to create my email account for outlook 2003. the test email is failng because my sky server does not accept my password. what is the problem?? -- lyz Check with your ISP either by calling or checking their website for all the particulars regarding setting up your account. They will have all the server and authentication details you require. If you have any error messages, please include the exact details of the message. -- Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "lyz" wrote: > i am tryig to cr...

In excel how do I copy page setup format from one wsht to another
Excel 2003 Professional I have made multiple sheets in workbook, copied formatted sheet1 to other sheets, but the printing or page setup does not copy to other sheets. I want to be able to copy the page setup format to all other sheets in the workbook. Richard, With the sheet that has the correct settings active, right-click on the sheet tab and select "Select All Sheets", then use File/Page Setup and immediately click OK (don't change anything). Click on some other worksheet to get you out of "Group" mode now all sheets should have the same page settings! -- Paul...

PSTL Account Modifier takes 60 hours to combine accounts!
I'm reframing my clients GL Structure with GP PSTL Account Modifier. MBS has informed me that it takes approx 20 seconds to process one line / account. We tested this... I ran 4 accounts to combine into one. It took over a minute. I have 10,000 accounts to be processed... they said to expect 58 hours to execute the change.... Plus, there is no status or progress bar to indicate if the app is working or simply "Hung" SQL Profiler doesn't show any activity either... We think this is because the executible is doing all the work and Account Modifier is not driven by store...

sign out of account
How do I sign out of my WLM account? In what way do you want to sign out? If you go to Tools (ALT+T), Options, Connection you can tell WLM to stop signing in which will stop it from synching your contacts and calendar. -- Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us "paula" <nospam@plz.com> wrote in message news:OjVXEIp$KHA.1892@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > How do I sign out of my WLM account? > One does not have a 'WLM account'. One does have email accounts within WLM that perform a send and receive for each. One does have the ability to s...

View Accounts by Team
In order to facilitate the needs of a customer, I need to be able to display what accounts belong to which team. Does anyone know if this is at all possible without writing a query to SQL? -- HS ...

Post migration issue
A couple of months after swinging SBS2003 server to 2008 when I run the Exchange BPA I noticed that it still tries to communicate with the old migration PC. How can this be fixed? The Computer object doesn't exist in the AD any more. Also there are no DNS records referencing it. The migration PC is long gone so I can't use it to remove the routing group which apparently it was a master of. yaro Yaro: Suggest you contact www.sbsmigration.com for the answer to this question, as it is impossible to tell from here what you did or did not do, or what you might have missed for...

Post to GL vs Post Through GL Files
Ok.....a stupid question here. What exactly is the difference is having the boxes checked to Post to GL and Post Through GL Files? Is there any problem with having one vs the other or both of them checked? I would assume that not having the Post Through GL will require you to post each batch to the GL. I am surprised that you can have both boxes checked. In that instance, I am uncertain what would happen. Normally, you would have only one of the boxes checked. (You could also have none of the boxes checked if you don't want to post to the GL. For example, you might unmark these s...

How to assign online access to exsiting account
i am testing Money 2005 and have imported from an existing quicken 2004 file. it seems all my accounts moved, but it didn't retain the fact that some accounts like American express and my back have on-line services enable. i can't seem to enable those features again without creating a new American express account or bank account. is there a way to assign on-line access to an existing account? thanks m Before you get that question answered, make sure you know how to *UN*assign online access to an existing account. While some users experience satisfaction with that functionalit...

MSN accounts dosen't work in Outlook.

Import Accounts to Outlook 2003
I've changed computers. With my new computer, I've upgraded to Office 2003. I've been able to import my personal folder and mail rules, but have not seen a place to import my mail accounts. Is there a place or do I have to recreate them? Thanks, Unfortunately the ability to import and export your account information has been removed in Outlook 2003. This means that you will have to manually recreate the accounts. I hope this information is helpful. Robert Findlay Partner Technical Lead -- Outlook/Office Setup Microsoft Technical Support for Platforms and Business Appl...

Post To GL flag on Inventory Bchs Yeilds Out of Balance GL!
The Post to GL checkbox on the Inventory Batch Entry screen MUST be defaulted to checked. I have several customers that have been instructed to check this box. In all cases, we have had situations where this box was overlooked. IN ALMOST EVERY CASE, inventory batches need to be posted to GL. In the few situations where this is not desired, a consultant can turn off posting in the setup and delete the financial batches. THIS SWITCH IS NOT NEEDED and is a pothole. Transactions entered and posted without checking this box show in Inventory Transaction Inquiry, affect inventory cou...

WorkFlow for Sharing an Account via TEAM
I wanted to create a WorkFlow to Share an account to a team? Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks! Abid Hi, You need to do coding. Develop a workflow assembly for this purpose. There is no built-in feature to share a record to a team. -- uMar Khan :: MS CRM MVP Microsoft CRM Consultant Email :: imumar at gmail dot com Blog :: http://umarkhan.wordpress.com MVP :: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/umar.khan "Abid" wrote: > I wanted to create a WorkFlow to Share an account to a team? Any ideas or > suggestions? > > > Thanks! > > Abid ...

Missing Check Batch (Batch not hitting GL)
My client is on GP 8 and this happened 2 times already. Basically they post a batch of computer checks, they are set to post through to GL. They got an error about glpostcleanup and the batch became stuck in Batch Recovery. We 'freed' up the batch but afterwards it is nowhere to be found. The batch is not in Post Checks, not in GL Batches, not in SY00500. In both instances we had to post the checks in Bank Rec to GL. The checks did not hit BR either. This is starting to worry me. GP said to run the special upgrade procedure in GP Utilities and I ran this before my client ...

User tried posting checks to closed period.
I have a user who tried to post payables checks to a closed period. They didn't tell me about it until after they had clicked through the error. The batch is showing a status of remittance processing. It doesn't show up under post checks or print checks but it does show up under edit checks. Nothing shows up under batch recovery. Is there a way to force the transactions on through? They have already mailed the checks so we don't have the option of voiding them somehow and redoing them. Robert Fann Sorry. I luckily found the batch under process remittance and ...

Account Updates (CashEdge service)
Accounts that use cashedge have not updated in three days. Anyone else experiencing problems with updating accounts that use cashedge as the third party data provider? How does one know which service is updating which securities or accounts -- Neil "STinGA" <STinGA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:51F01DB0-0DB2-49F0-815F-FB6DF6B13180@microsoft.com... > Accounts that use cashedge have not updated in three days. > > Anyone else experiencing problems with updating accounts that use cashedge > as the third party data provider? In Microsoft M...

Posting negative 401k transactions
I have a typical 401k account setup with a corresponding cash account. I am manually balancing my account at the end of the quarter. In other words, I'm not using the 401k manager or "balance an account" wizard. In my investment account, I want to buy x shares of a stock for the quarter, however the final market value decreased for the account. Normally, a stock that increased for the quarter would show as a payment in the cash account. I want to show this as a deposit. If you use the balance an account wizard, it will somehow place a negative price so that it shows up as ...

Moving between accounts
HI Folks, In outlook 03 I used to be able to click on file then either change email account or move between email accounts i.e I have 3 different accounts set up wtihin outlook and I can only see one - the default at present. I have had a look on the site etc and can't seem to find how to do this one easily with new outlook. can anyone please suggest how to do this? Thanks HEAPS. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com "Cath" <cathjamo[at]hotmail[dot]com> wrote in message news:eXXFM5CzKHA.2436@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > In outlook 03 I used to be able to...

Account passwords
In setting up an Outlook Express e-mail account from an existing Outlook 2002 e-mail account, I can't change the password from the original. How do I change the password in an e-mail account? Try asking in an OE group as they have more answers for Outlook Express than this group which supports Outlook from Microsoft Office. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer Warren Bird <ano...

Transactions Lost Posting to GL
We've been using Great Plains (Dynamics V9) since 9/01/06, and are having some serious problems when posting to GL. In one case, one payment of two vouchers was lost going from A/P to GL. We only print about 30 checks a week, so at the end of the month when we posted to GL and noticed the discrepancy, it was relatively easy to track down the payment that was lost. The Accounting firm that helped with the installation was of no help. Their solution was to create a journal entry, which of course brough GL up to date, but didn't solve the problem. Now this month, we're about $8,000 of...

repeat formulae taking into account previous column's info?
Using Excel 2003. Trying to add up home accounts. Want to copy formulae from one column to another. Can Excel do this automatically? eg =SUM(B20+C16) to =SUM(C20+D16) to =SUM(D20+E16) where B, C and D are months, line 16 is the sub total and 20 is the total that I would like to carry through to the next month. Do I have to keep inputting =SUM etc, or is there someway of replicating this formula when the computer can change the letter of the column automatically? Help! Hi Debbie your formula of =SUM(B20+C16) can be corrected to either =SUM(B20,C16) or, better still =B20+C...

Restricting Old accounts
I have old GL accounts that we are not using anymore, what is the best way to ensure that they are not being used on our balance sheets generated within GP and in FRx? Hi Michael, If there are no balances and transactions for the open fiscal year, you can inactivate the account. Inactivated accounts are by default not included in GP reporrs and FRx will do the same. Lastly, accounts that are inactive will not be accidentally used in transaction entry. Hope this helps! Cheers, Dennis Araullo, MACS Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist GP,CRM,AX MCITP Installatio...

Trouble emailing from "Accounts"
I am having a delimma that I hope someone can help me resolve. In CRM 3.0 I am unable to send an email from an account. It doesn't matter if the address is internal or external. I can open up the contact under the account and send the email just fine. The error message I receive is the famous "at least one recipient does not have an email address or is marked as "Do not allow" email." I have checked to make sure both contacts and this account is marked "yes" under every category to send mail (Admin tab). Can anyone shed any light on what I am missing? We...

User Account Only by ODBC Not SSMS (SQL 2005)
I have a SQL Server 2005 database server that has a SQL user account that I would like to restrict it from connecting with SSMS only connecting with ODBC. Is there something I can do with the user account that allow it only to connect by ODBC? Is there something within SQL Server 2005 (SSMS), that can tell me how the user account was connection to SQL Server instance? (SSMS,ODBC,.etc) Please help me with ODBC connection to SQL Server 2005 database server. Thanks, Hi Joe, I doubt you will be able to do it. Regards, Balaji "Joe K." <JoeK@discussions....