Does HQ require a dedicated server?

I currently have 2 store running RMS v1.2.  I am adding another store and I
want to add HQ.  Do I need a dedicated server?   There seems to be a real
lack of info on the Microsoft website.  Are there any good manuals for HQ?
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

We have always installed a server and a full version of SQL Server with
HQ Installs - usually Small Business Server Premium.  HQ databases grow
much more quickly that Store databases, and the 2GB MSDE limit will
quickly become a problem.   Also, a server is generally a much more
robust piece of equipment, with at least some level of redundancy built
in.

You should contact your reseller to have your real needs assessed.

The documentation for HQ is about the same level as SO - basically a
print out of the online help.  There's a good e-learning course though.

Glenn Adams
Tiber Creek Consulting
http://www.tibercreek.com
glenn@tibercreek.com

Tony McLaughlin wrote:
> I currently have 2 store running RMS v1.2.  I am adding another store and I
> want to add HQ.  Do I need a dedicated server?   There seems to be a real
> lack of info on the Microsoft website.  Are there any good manuals for HQ?
0
glenn9672 (1267)
8/2/2006 6:23:04 PM
I don't know about 'need' but it's definitely a good idea.  I am running HQ
and Store Operations on the same server and that seems to work OK.  You
cannot use HQ Client on the HQ Server machine.

I run SBS Premium, just like Glenn said he recommends.  I knew that I'd need
the full version of SQL and SBS Premium is by far the least expensive way to
get there.  SBS is, um, different than a 'normal' server - do some homework
if you intend to DIY.

Tom

"Tony McLaughlin" wrote:

> I currently have 2 store running RMS v1.2.  I am adding another store and I
> want to add HQ.  Do I need a dedicated server?   There seems to be a real
> lack of info on the Microsoft website.  Are there any good manuals for HQ?
0
tomg2938 (389)
8/2/2006 7:43:20 PM
Oh crap.  What's "um different"? I was getting ready to buy a copy of SBS
Premium off eBay! I even bought a book!

"Terrible Tom" wrote:

> I don't know about 'need' but it's definitely a good idea.  I am running HQ
> and Store Operations on the same server and that seems to work OK.  You
> cannot use HQ Client on the HQ Server machine.
>
> I run SBS Premium, just like Glenn said he recommends.  I knew that I'd need
> the full version of SQL and SBS Premium is by far the least expensive way to
> get there.  SBS is, um, different than a 'normal' server - do some homework
> if you intend to DIY.
>
> Tom
>
> "Tony McLaughlin" wrote:
>
> > I currently have 2 store running RMS v1.2.  I am adding another store and I
> > want to add HQ.  Do I need a dedicated server?   There seems to be a real
> > lack of info on the Microsoft website.  Are there any good manuals for HQ?
0
mickie (104)
8/3/2006 2:17:02 AM
If you can't use HQ Client on the same machine as HQ Server, how does that
store communicate with HQ to trade information?

I was thinking about this very scenario. If have two small stores, each with
only one computer, can I install HQ on on of the machines?

The MS sales literature is woefully incomplete on the HQ product.

"Terrible Tom" wrote:

> I don't know about 'need' but it's definitely a good idea.  I am running HQ
> and Store Operations on the same server and that seems to work OK.  You
> cannot use HQ Client on the HQ Server machine.
>
> I run SBS Premium, just like Glenn said he recommends.  I knew that I'd need
> the full version of SQL and SBS Premium is by far the least expensive way to
> get there.  SBS is, um, different than a 'normal' server - do some homework
> if you intend to DIY.
>
> Tom
>
> "Tony McLaughlin" wrote:
>
> > I currently have 2 store running RMS v1.2.  I am adding another store and I
> > want to add HQ.  Do I need a dedicated server?   There seems to be a real
> > lack of info on the Microsoft website.  Are there any good manuals for HQ?
0
Jason4159 (666)

------=_NextPart_000_03DD_01C6B707.AE6ED130

Mickie,

Quite a bit.  Even the service packs are different between the two.

The latest version of SBS is starting to ship right now, so I'm not sure =
I'd be buying an older version off eBay.

--=20
*

You must be using Outlook Express or some other type of newsgroup reader =
see and download the file attachment.  If you are not using a reader, =
follow
newsreader"

http://tinyurl.com/75bgz

**********

  "Mickie" <Mickie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
  Oh crap.  What's "um different"? I was getting ready to buy a copy of =
SBS=20

  "Terrible Tom" wrote:

  > I don't know about 'need' but it's definitely a good idea.  I am =
running HQ=20
  > and Store Operations on the same server and that seems to work OK.  =
You=20
  > cannot use HQ Client on the HQ Server machine.
  >=20
  > I run SBS Premium, just like Glenn said he recommends.  I knew that =
I'd need=20
  > the full version of SQL and SBS Premium is by far the least =
expensive way to=20
  > get there.  SBS is, um, different than a 'normal' server - do some =
homework=20
  > if you intend to DIY.
  >=20
  > Tom
  >=20
  > "Tony McLaughlin" wrote:
  >=20
  > > I currently have 2 store running RMS v1.2.  I am adding another =
store and I=20
  > > want to add HQ.  Do I need a dedicated server?   There seems to be =
a real=20
  > > lack of info on the Microsoft website.  Are there any good manuals =
for HQ?
------=_NextPart_000_03DD_01C6B707.AE6ED130

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>Mickie,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>Quite a bit.&nbsp; Even the service packs are =
different=20
between the two.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>The latest version of SBS is starting to ship =
right=20
now, so I'm not sure I'd be buying an older version off =
eBay.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>*<BR>Get Secure! - <A=20
href=3D"http://www.microsoft.com/security">www.microsoft.com/security</A>=
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>You must be using Outlook Express or some other type of newsgroup =
reader=20
to<BR>see and download the file attachment.&nbsp; If you are not using a =
reader,=20
follow<BR>the link below to setup Outlook Express.&nbsp; Click on "Open =
with=20
newsreader"<BR>under the MS Retail Management System on the right.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><A =
href=3D"http://tinyurl.com/75bgz">http://tinyurl.com/75bgz</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>**********<BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"Mickie" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:Mickie@discussions.microsoft.com">Mickie@discussions.micro=
soft.com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:8A0CAE66-8F5F-4910-823B-978B650D7D5E@microsoft.com">news:8A0=
CAE66-8F5F-4910-823B-978B650D7D5E@microsoft.com</A>...</DIV>Oh=20
  crap.&nbsp; What's "um different"? I was getting ready to buy a copy =
of SBS=20
  <BR>Premium off eBay! I even bought a book!<BR><BR><BR>"Terrible Tom"=20
  wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; I don't know about 'need' but it's definitely a =
good=20
  idea.&nbsp; I am running HQ <BR>&gt; and Store Operations on the same =
server=20
  and that seems to work OK.&nbsp; You <BR>&gt; cannot use HQ Client on =
the HQ=20
  Server machine.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I run SBS Premium, just like Glenn =
said he=20
  recommends.&nbsp; I knew that I'd need <BR>&gt; the full version of =
SQL and=20
  SBS Premium is by far the least expensive way to <BR>&gt; get =
there.&nbsp; SBS=20
  is, um, different than a 'normal' server - do some homework <BR>&gt; =
if you=20
  intend to DIY.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Tom<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; "Tony McLaughlin" =

  wrote:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; I currently have 2 store running RMS =
v1.2.&nbsp;=20
  I am adding another store and I <BR>&gt; &gt; want to add HQ.&nbsp; Do =
I need=20
  a dedicated server?&nbsp;&nbsp; There seems to be a real <BR>&gt; &gt; =
lack of=20
  info on the Microsoft website.&nbsp; Are there any good manuals for=20
HQ?</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_03DD_01C6B707.AE6ED130--

0
spam3944 (2163)
8/3/2006 9:18:24 PM
Jason, I second that question. I was just sitting here trying to figure out
if I needed another system for my main office to run an SO or if I can
install SO on my HQ computer but how would they connect... I too would like
to know the answer...

"Jason" wrote:

> If you can't use HQ Client on the same machine as HQ Server, how does that
> store communicate with HQ to trade information?
>
> I was thinking about this very scenario. If have two small stores, each with
> only one computer, can I install HQ on on of the machines?
>
> The MS sales literature is woefully incomplete on the HQ product.
>

> "Terrible Tom" wrote:
>
> > I don't know about 'need' but it's definitely a good idea.  I am running HQ
> > and Store Operations on the same server and that seems to work OK.  You
> > cannot use HQ Client on the HQ Server machine.
> >
> > I run SBS Premium, just like Glenn said he recommends.  I knew that I'd need
> > the full version of SQL and SBS Premium is by far the least expensive way to
> > get there.  SBS is, um, different than a 'normal' server - do some homework
> > if you intend to DIY.
> >
> > Tom
> >
> > "Tony McLaughlin" wrote:
> >
> > > I currently have 2 store running RMS v1.2.  I am adding another store and I
> > > want to add HQ.  Do I need a dedicated server?   There seems to be a real
> > > lack of info on the Microsoft website.  Are there any good manuals for HQ?
0
Ryan (208)
8/7/2006 2:32:01 AM
You can definately run HQ and SO on the same machine.  You just need to
point the Remote Server / HQ Client application to the machine name, IP
of the box you are running these on...I think I rember omething about
(local) not working, when really it should but I amcertain if you use
the machine name or IP, you wil be fine...

Hope this helps,
Todd

Ryan wrote:
> Jason, I second that question. I was just sitting here trying to figure out
> if I needed another system for my main office to run an SO or if I can
> install SO on my HQ computer but how would they connect... I too would like
> to know the answer...
>

> "Jason" wrote:
>
> > If you can't use HQ Client on the same machine as HQ Server, how does that
> > store communicate with HQ to trade information?
> >
> > I was thinking about this very scenario. If have two small stores, each with
> > only one computer, can I install HQ on on of the machines?
> >
> > The MS sales literature is woefully incomplete on the HQ product.
> >

> > "Terrible Tom" wrote:
> >
> > > I don't know about 'need' but it's definitely a good idea.  I am running HQ
> > > and Store Operations on the same server and that seems to work OK.  You
> > > cannot use HQ Client on the HQ Server machine.
> > >
> > > I run SBS Premium, just like Glenn said he recommends.  I knew that I'd need
> > > the full version of SQL and SBS Premium is by far the least expensive way to
> > > get there.  SBS is, um, different than a 'normal' server - do some homework
> > > if you intend to DIY.
> > >
> > > Tom

0
todd.jensen (109)

RMS HQ Paid Out Report
is there a Paid Out report for Headquarters? I tried to use the one posted here a while back but it doubled each transaction. what went wrong? Thanks in advance ...

Remove First Exchange 2003 Server
I have read the MS article on removing the the first server in an exchange 2003 server. The server is the only server in an admin group. I have several other servers in various admin groups. each admin group corresponds to a child domain in our forest. This first server is to be completely decommisioned and the admin group removed and the child domain retired. So.... I have moved the MAPI Public Folder Tree, each admin group has its own OAB and generated by their server. The article says to replicate off pub folders, OAB, and Free Busy. But i think they are assuming that a new se...

Sharing SQL Server connections across Sheets
We have an Excel 2007 worksheet with 44 sheets. Each sheet executes a query against a view in Sql Server 2000. The user has to enter the password 44 times, once for each sheet! She is going crazy! Is there a way for the sheets to share one connection, or at least share the entered password? The ODC files contain the login and password but the password appears to be ignored. I am a DBA, not an Excel developer so please be kind. Thanks, Michael Hi Michael, I'm an analyst and work primarily in Excel & SQLServer. I write my own queries in SSMS and export my own d...

Priv.edb to new exchange server-very urgent
I would like to know if it is even possible to take a copy of the priv.edb, not a backup, a plain copy of the database and copy it to a new Exchange 2000 server install and be able to retrieve, read or see the mail, calender and contacts that are in this database with Outlook. The original server died and before it was reinstalled our tech just made a copy of the MDBDATA directory and wiped the machine clean and reinstalled everything setting up a new Exchange server. The company thought theyhad a backup and did not. My job is to try and settup another server to try and get back calender, ma...

List servers and their DNS server settings
I am trying to get a list of server names and their primary and secondary DNS server settings. If I try the following command: get-wmiobject Win32_networkadapterconfiguration -computername "servername | select name, DNSServerSearchOrder It would give me the specific servername and its dns addresses. I know have a list of computernames which I would like to list out and their DNSserversearchorder settings (DNS settings) I tried putting the list of computernames in a text file by using get-qadcomputer | export-csv C:\computername.txt -notype Then I used the get-con...

Exchange 5.5 help required
I have a situation here at work : We are using exchange 5.5 on windows 2000 and outlook 2000 client. Several people in the organisation need to be able to view others mail boxes for legitimate business purposes, so we have permissions set up on the exchange to allow them to do so. I need to be able to see when one of the users is looking at anothers inbox, as i beleive this system is being abused for political gain. I have switched on the tracking into log files, but now i'm stuck. I am not sure if this really gives me what I am looking for. The Aplpication log is no help as it only...

Shop Cost different from HQ Cost
We are using MS RMS at 14 stores and have an HQ database where item details are maintained. We use the Cost Update Worksheet to update item costs at the stores. The worksheet is reported as having processed successfully. However half the stores are showing the old cost and half showing the new cost (as reported in the ITEMDYNAMIC table through the "snapshot"). What might cause different stores to have different costs? (The item ID's are all okay so there appears to be no database integrity issue) Thanks in advance, Dave Dave, The first thing I do anymore when having issues...

Rules in Error
When I open Outlook 2002 I receive a dialogue box which states Rules in Error - Server Requested Client Action MoveCopy, Unable to create dest msg. I don't know where this came from. Thanks for the help in advance. ...

Rebuild HQ Item Data
I currently messed up with the HQ database. Since I still have an optimized database on my store, I would like to know if it is possible to import item and sales data into my "NEW HQ". I tried to sync it to the "NEW HQ" but RMS would not permit me because the store database is "flagged" to the "OLD HQ" Thanks ...

Reports in HQ
Does any one have a copy of the Sales>Department Costs/Sales for HQ as the installation does not have it? I have this report in the reports folder but When I go into HQ Manager into the reports > Sales > Department Cost/Sales it comes up with the qrp does not exist. "Jeff" wrote: > Kirsten, > > Not sure what you are talking about. The report is on both the 1.2 and 1.3 > CD's that I have. Look in the; > > \HQ\program files\Microsoft Retail Management System\Headquarters\Reports > folder > > Anyway the 1.3 version is attached. > ...

Sales by Batch Report for HQ
Does anyone know of a report that will show sales by batch for HQ? I have a report that works at Store Operations but not HQ. If you know how, use Excel to do a SQL query on the BATCH table in HQ. Or just do it in HQ Administrator. Query: Select * From Batch You will get a wealth of data. Warning - you have to sum the Returns and Sales columns to get actual sales. To get just what you want, you could do: Select BatchNumber, ClosingTime, StoreID, Sales + Returns AS 'Total Sales' from Batch "Jon" <Jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62982A...

The Project Server Database is unavailable
Hello, This is my first time to post a question in this forum. So I will apologise in advance if I don't detail my question correctly. I will do my best. I am very desperate for help. My Company has Project Server 2003 ERM Solution. I have two users that have suddenly are getting an error message when they log in to Terminal Server to run Project 2003 with their Windows Network ID's that "The Project Server Database is unavailable:" You can't access the Database for one of the following reasons": There is a problem with the enterprise global template in...

Exchange Server in Child Domain?
Hi, I am rather new on W2K/Exchange and need some help. I have one branch office with a W2K3 domain called ABC.com which is a part of the company's forest. In ABC.com there is one Exchange Server 2003 running, with administrative group called AG-ABC which is part of Company's Exchange Organization. There is one business unit that will be joined to the AD of that branch office. For some reasons, I want to create a child domain for this business unit, Unit1.ABC.com. My questions are: 1. Will members of Domain Admins group of ABC.com have full access on the child domain's resource...

problems with HQ connections
Hi . I am starting to have some problems in one of my clients. They have a location that run 18 stores running HQ r 1.2. Suddenly for some odd reason everytime the stores connect, create an incredible amount of connections (sometimes reaching 200 connections process) giving a hige degradation of performance. Does somebody know something about this?..... Thks in advance for your help Rodrigo ...

Hiding internal Exchange server IP/name
We have an internal Exchange server (2003) that resides on an internal IP address. The server communicates to a FreeBSD server in the DMZ running Sendmail. To send emails to the Internet we have configured a routing group to relay mail to the server in the DMZ (there is another option of using a Smarthost, but I have not tried this). The configuration works for sending and receiving emails. One side effect is that when Exchange relays mail to the DMZ its internal IP address is included in the mail header (as part of rfc822). For security reasons it would be preferred to not expose this...

wondering what happens if you host mailboxes on a FE server
I know that ..."A front-end server must not host any users or public folders" But what happens if it does? What is the result of hosting mailboxes on a E2K3 server that is marked as a front-end server? Will the server break? Will the mailboxes be reachable by Outlook or other exchange servers? Will the FE server continue to work but the mailboxes hosted on that server will be useless? What happens? Ken From KB 273296: "All HTTP, POP3, and IMAP4 requests to a front-end server are proxied to the appropriate back-end server, and thus cannot access local mailboxes. Messag...

Emptying Cache on Exchange Server
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I find myself having to empty the cache from my inbox folder every few weeks now. All of a sudden today I couldnt receive new emails and it tells me to empty cache. It worked fine all morning then just stopped this afternoon. It takes 5-6 hours to fully re-load all the emails in my inbox so this is becoming a huge burden. Does anyone know why this would be happening. I'm connected to my company's exchange server. <br><br>Thanks On 2/25/10 12:45 PM, Sean4510@officefor...

Leaving mail on server
I have upgraded Outlook to 2003. In Outlook 2002 there was a setting to leave mail on the server for a certin period of time. I can'y find this feature in 2003. It it there? Thanks Tools->Email Accounts->View or Change->Highlight your account->Change->More Settings->Advanced. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: Richard <richard@raymondsboats.com> asked: | I have upgraded Outlook to 2003. In Outlook 2002 there was a setting | to leave mail on the s...

HQ: New customers not being added to HQ with WS401
Recently created customers at all four of my stores have not been transmitted to HQ since Saturday. The 'missing' customers have no HQID in the Store Ops database (of course). I have tried making a change and clicking OK to change the LastUpdated value in hopes of having the data go to HQ with the next WS401. So far, no luck. WS410s have been running normally and HQ Manager shows all WS401s as being completed successfully. Ideas? Tom -- Stop fishing for e-mail Are the customers set as Global customers ? Mihir Diviasoft, Inc www.diviasoft.com "Terrible Tom" <...

pop3 server not starting
brand new domain setup. server2003, exchange 2003. everything appears to work very nicely. upon rebooting the server, the virtual pop3 server doesnt startup. in services, the pop3 service is set to automatic and claims to be started. but the server itself needs to be manually started through exchange system manager. any ideas? Any relevant events in Application Event log? jjd228@NOSPAMoptonline.net wrote: > brand new domain setup. server2003, exchange 2003. everything appears to > work very nicely. upon rebooting the server, the virtual pop3 server doesnt > startup. in services...

Modifying the "Required Attendee" lookup columns
Hello, Is there a way to modify which columns appears in the lookup view of the multi-select "Required Attendees" lookup on the Appointemnt? This special windows does not seem to take the usual "account" or "contact" lookup view. Right now it only shows the name and full name of the account or contact. Thanks Hi Fred, Did you happen to get the solution to your query as i am with the same problem and looking for someone to help....:( Thanks, Shashi "Fred Bang" wrote: > Hello, > > Is there a way to modify which columns appears in the...

Reducing the size of database in exchange server 2000
Hi I am using exchange 2000 server.I have 100 mailboxes on it.After reducing the mail boxes to 55.I have deleted the data around 16gb.But the size of actual database is still same.How can i reduce the size of the database .So that i can perform my routine backups on tape. I am facing so many problem to take the backup of big database. Thanx And hope i will get the solution here. Baljinder Hello Baljinder, If you dismount the stores and run eseutil /d drive and path to your priv1.ed and include the priv1.edb you will regain the whitespace. This is called an offline defrag. Just ...

Retail Realm HQ Utility [New Add-On Release for RMS HQ Users]
FYI - Retail Realm is releasing its New HQ Utility - [End user Price US$700] The HQ add-on has many features. This add-on has been designed to enhance the Microsoft RMS HQ. The features are: - Acknowledge Worksheets [Specify the dates and decides which WS needs to be acknowledged] - Delete Acknowledge Worksheets [Specify the dates and decides which Acknowledge WS needs to be Deleted] - Item Dynamic Fix [Fix the missing records in the Item Dynamic Tables] - Purchase Order Control [Control PO placed at stores, modify, edit, reject or accept “Mark as Placed”]. This feature treats the ...

Unable to restore backup
My business partner and I routinely exchange Money backups. I am able to access the the datafiles without a password but my partner suddenly cannot open anything I send to him - it is now requiring him to enter a password. I recently registered for a .NET passport but don't intentionally use it in Money - my partner does not have a .NET passport. Can anyone confirm the problem is .NET related? Ho do we fix it? ...

Exchange Server Stats
Hi, Is there any way to get stats on how many messages are being sent out and received into an Exchange 2003 server for a given period of time? i.e. How many e-mail did user A send and receive in a month? And then get more detail on who sent them most, the least, etc..? I know there are performance monitors, but they don't give me enough detail .... I think. Thanks, Bart You can parse the logs manually or go look at third party tool from Promodag, NetIQ or Quest. "Bart Verwilt" <bart@pro-2-call.com> wrote in message news:%23B3m$b3IFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...