Database backup whilst the POS is in use

I currently do my daily database backup during the night using a scheduled
Windows task. The backup is copied to multiple hard disks on different PCs.

I would like to do additional backups during the day whilst the POS is being
used. Does RMS SO actually allow this or would I have to briefly shutdown
the POS for the backup? I am on V2, SP2.

Thanks for your reply.

0
Gerd9246 (12)
2/25/2009 7:48:19 PM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Yes, you can run backups while POS is running. You can even run
backups when multiple manager programs are running. SQL server is
built to handle many different concurrent connections.
As another option, you can also use the command line to backup the
database - just search for 'SQL backup command' in the newsgroup.

Hope this helps
~Nate

On Feb 25, 2:48=A0pm, "Gerd" <G...@BAVARIAN-CONS.COM> wrote:
> I currently do my daily database backup during the night using a schedule=
> Windows task. The backup is copied to multiple hard disks on different PC=
s.

> I would like to do additional backups during the day whilst the POS is be=
ing
> used. Does RMS SO actually allow this or would I have to briefly shutdown
> the POS for the backup? I am on V2, SP2.
>
> Thanks for your reply.

Thank you very much for the reply.

I already use a command line script for the backup. I will change it to
include the date and time stamp in the backup file name and add additional
backup tasks to the Windows scheduler.

On Feb 25, 2:48 pm, "Gerd" <G...@BAVARIAN-CONS.COM> wrote:
> I currently do my daily database backup during the night using a scheduled
> Windows task. The backup is copied to multiple hard disks on different
> PCs.
>
> I would like to do additional backups during the day whilst the POS is
> being
> used. Does RMS SO actually allow this or would I have to briefly shutdown
> the POS for the backup? I am on V2, SP2.
>
> Thanks for your reply.

0
Gerd9246 (12)
2/26/2009 3:14:27 PM
Gerd

I would recommend an off-site backup as well. We do a backup at close/end of
day - one stay on computer on different drive other goes on USB drive which
we take home. If you had a fire - you would lose all your backups - if you
don't have an off-site backup.

Dan
"Gerd" <Gerd@BAVARIAN-CONS.COM> wrote in message
> Thank you very much for the reply.
>
> I already use a command line script for the backup. I will change it to
> include the date and time stamp in the backup file name and add additional
> backup tasks to the Windows scheduler.
>

> <natesawyer3@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes, you can run backups while POS is running. You can even run
> backups when multiple manager programs are running. SQL server is
> built to handle many different concurrent connections.
> As another option, you can also use the command line to backup the
> database - just search for 'SQL backup command' in the newsgroup.
>
> Hope this helps
> ~Nate
>
> On Feb 25, 2:48 pm, "Gerd" <G...@BAVARIAN-CONS.COM> wrote:
>> I currently do my daily database backup during the night using a
>> scheduled
>> Windows task. The backup is copied to multiple hard disks on different
>> PCs.
>>
>> I would like to do additional backups during the day whilst the POS is
>> being
>> used. Does RMS SO actually allow this or would I have to briefly shutdown
>> the POS for the backup? I am on V2, SP2.
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.

0
AliaS1 (93)
3/1/2009 5:24:34 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions. Off-site storage was the first thing I did.
My current backup always copied the backup file to multiple internal and
external disks on my 2 PCs in the store. Another copy was send every night
to our backoffice server.

"Dan-902" <alias@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Gerd
>
> I would recommend an off-site backup as well. We do a backup at close/end
> of day - one stay on computer on different drive other goes on USB drive
> which we take home. If you had a fire - you would lose all your backups -
> if you don't have an off-site backup.
>
> Dan
> "Gerd" <Gerd@BAVARIAN-CONS.COM> wrote in message
>> Thank you very much for the reply.
>>
>> I already use a command line script for the backup. I will change it to
>> include the date and time stamp in the backup file name and add
>> additional backup tasks to the Windows scheduler.
>>

>> <natesawyer3@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Yes, you can run backups while POS is running. You can even run
>> backups when multiple manager programs are running. SQL server is
>> built to handle many different concurrent connections.
>> As another option, you can also use the command line to backup the
>> database - just search for 'SQL backup command' in the newsgroup.
>>
>> Hope this helps
>> ~Nate
>>
>> On Feb 25, 2:48 pm, "Gerd" <G...@BAVARIAN-CONS.COM> wrote:
>>> I currently do my daily database backup during the night using a
>>> scheduled
>>> Windows task. The backup is copied to multiple hard disks on different
>>> PCs.
>>>
>>> I would like to do additional backups during the day whilst the POS is
>>> being
>>> used. Does RMS SO actually allow this or would I have to briefly
>>> shutdown
>>> the POS for the backup? I am on V2, SP2.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your reply.

0
Gerd9246 (12)

unable to "manually" run monthly, yearly tape backup jobs? help?
Heres the situation in my case: Our superloader3 unit, died (again), had to get a replacement.. so the monthly job that normally would hit say the first monday of the month passed (with errors obviously), also the yearly tape backup schedule i manually moved forward.. So.. we get the new unit in, i figured, ill just change the monthly to run say today at 4pm.. The job never started.. I thought, ok, lets set the yearly to run today at 5pm (since the monthly failed).. The job never started. Why does this occur.. how can i manually run the monthly tape backup and ye...

Money 2007 deluxe backup issue
for some reason Money is breaking up my backups to my 4gb usb flash drive around the 3 mb area - i have compact data checked - regular files are 8 & 12 mb are there settings to change to prevent this from happening there is plenty of space on the drive it names the file xxxd1 when i used my gigabank 8gb drive it did not do this but alas it died when i just try to continue on the 4g it says already used insert me medium advise please thanks In microsoft.public.money, tony wrote: >for some reason Money is breaking up my backups to my 4gb usb flash drive >around the 3 mb area...

Access Database Conversion to Excel Database
I need to convert a downloaded database in Access format to an Excel format I can use on my desktop. Hi Greg One way Use Data>Import External Data in the menubar -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "greg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:b0f301c3ec2b$2b12d830$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I need to convert a downloaded database in Access format > to an Excel format I can use on my desktop. ...

Nothing shows up in Database objects in Database Wizard
Hello, I am having touble with Visio 2003 once again. Though the db wizard, I created an excel spreadsheet (table) for data and am tryinig to link the chart back to this original database so that when I change something in the database it will change correspondingly. I am going back through the DB wizard, and can only get as far as selecting a database object to connect to. I have selected the original dada source, checked table, but nothing showes up under the database objects. Am I or my computer missing something? Please help! Thank You. Have you defined a name for the region ...

Can't open data file OR restore backup file on 2003
After reinstalling XP, and then Money, I cannot get Money to open my data file. I have gone through the standard process repeatedly but my data never shows up. I tried the the method described in "Run the Standard File Repair utility", downloading http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902466 and running it, but it gives me an error message about a missing DLL file and wont' run. Any ideas? Describe "cannot get Money to open" -- how are you doing this? What's happening? Error messages? How did you reinstall Money after reinstalling XP? "gbrumbe...

Huge database
Good afternoon, i have to make a huge database wich have to get data from excel file.That is not a big problem problem is that i have to get information for about 1000 families with 1000 elements for every family and this database have to storage this information at leaset one year. This make a huge pack of elements. Can Microsoft Access get so huge pack of data ? If yes i would be glad to read some ideas. Thanks If you are talking about 1000 columns in a table, Access can't do it. 255 is the upper limit. 1,000 * 1,000 is potentially a million records. However if the data is pr...

deleting or clearing recently used files in Publisher
Is there any way to delete the "recent file" list in MS Publisher 2003? I know that in MS Office 2000, for Word(which i am more famliar with) you can just go to the options tab and tell the program how many files to remember (under the general portion or the tab) I don't like that the next person that uses the program after me can see what file i was just working on and I can't figure out how to get that "OPEN" at the bottom of the left hand screen to not display the last files used. even in the most basic program... Microsoft Works..., there is a way to cle...

How to BackUp Outlook email folders and messages
I am new to Outlook as I have been using Outlook Express instead. How do I backup the folders and messages in Outlook? Thanks in advance for any help. Jim. Thanks Scott. I am using Outlook 2000 SR-1 (9.0.0.3821). I don't understand about the "mode I am configured in". I am an individual and I use Outlook as my email manager for home use only (does that help?). I did a search on my C: harddrive for *.PST but got no results. Where would the folder normally be for these email folders and messages? TIA, Jim. "Scott Atkins[MSFT]" <scatki@online.microsoft.com> wrot...

linking 2 databases in 1
Hi, I am running 2 hqs for 2 different purposes, now the company decided to use 1 hq for both purpose. How can i link the 2 databases into 1 database???? I tired to link them from SQL server enterprise manager-all task- export data from database A to B but some tables can not be exported and show me tables failure, is it possible to link them or im just trying something impossible? Advice me on that plZzzzZZzz -- Aliko ...

Error executing SSIS package used to populate GP Analysis Cubes
Hi, Our GP databases are installed on SQL Server 2000. I have installed GP Analysis Cubes For Excel on a SQL Server 2005 server. The installation worked without a hitch, however when I try to run the SSIS master package to populate the Data Warehouse database I get an error under the "Run Company" section stating: "Error: Error 0xC0014037 while preparing to load the package. The package is encrypted with a password. The password was not specified, or is not correct." And at the bottom of the execution trail there is a warning to the effect that "the number of ...

Importing Current Database into CRM Database
Hi, I would just like to know if it is possible to tranfer my current database into the Adventure Works Database(and if so how) or is it used just for a few records for testing purposes. You help will be highly appreciated... there is a redeployment tool on support.microsoft.com/downloads under microsoft crm. This may help you. -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Rock619" <rodger@intervigil.com> wrote in message news:5728edd40161d2cca1c0e079cfd86665@localhost.talkaboutsoftware.com... > Hi, > > I would just like to know if it is pos...

Use only part of the number
Hi guys, I've got a sheet as follows: Machine_Name Today 1St Day Hrs Wrkd Avg Hrs 8061237 9735.8 9735.8 0 0 8066201 4076.4 4049.4 27 1.08 8066314 6082 5833.2 248.8 9.952 8066315 11847.4 11510.7 336.7 13.468 8066537 3630.6 3472.6 158 6.32 8066543 5799.8 5469 330.8 13.232 In my next coloumn to the right, I need to get the values from "Today", but only the first 3 numerals from the right. eg: (manually typed) Machine_Name Today 1St Day Hrs Wrkd Avg Hrs Hrs Left 8061237 9735.8 9735.8 0 0 735.8 8066201 4076.4 4049.4 27 ...

Transform Dataset using XSL in-place?
Hello, I'm trying to apply an XSL to a dataset contents. More specifically, I want to apply an XSL to a dataset or an XmlDataDocument and put the resulting transformed data back into another DataSet or simply to modify the current DataSet. The first part is easy: Dim xmlDataDoc as XmlDataDocument = new XmlDataDocument(oracleDS) Dim xslTrans as XslTransform = new XslTransform xslTrans.Load("stylesheet.xsl") xslTrans.Transform(xmlDataDoc, Nothing.. Stream) Dim resultDS as new DataSet() resultDS.ReadXml(?) The problem becomes that XslTransform.Transform wants to output to a str...

how to start a database
hi guys, i want to start a database on excel 2000, i never had to do this before, and i know this can be done. i just dont know where to start from ! what i want to do is, it is a racing club, i want a listing of all pilot and a sheet where we can enter the number of the car(all pilot info need will be transfer) for final result of the race.(right now they enter the car no, name , city at every race at every registration, if he is register to 3 race they do the process 3 time.) like in access went we create the database and after the query, that what i want to do in excel. any tip or link...

Use Identity in Insert Trigger
Is it possible to know the Identity value of a record when processing an INSERT trigger? If so, can someone give me an example? Thanks. -- David Hi David During the trigger processing, the new row has already been inserted, so you can just either select from the underlying table, or select from the special INSERTED table to see the identity value. Or, if you haven't done any other INSERTs into identity columns, you can just select the @@IDENTITY function. Here's a very simple example: use tempdb; go create table t1 (a int identity, b varchar(25)); go cre...

how do i make the dot space dot space that are used in bulletins?
I need to know how to make this . . . . . . . . . . . . . for a bulletin. thanks There are several ways to create a dotted line... For example, you can use a tab stop with a dot leader. Alternatively, use a paragraph or cell border. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "mjm" <mjm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E87DFAD-002F-44BF-8183-3CCD17893754@microsoft.com... > I need to know how to make this . . . . . . . . . . . . . for a bulletin. > thanks ...

seperation of POS and RMS
I think that they need to create a new message board and seperate RMS and POS into 2 different sections. I purchased POS thinking it had all these features only to find out later that it was actually RMS that i was reading about. Anyone else with me on this? It'd make it so much easier for searching, etc. On May 14, 7:40 am, ABH Development <ABHDevelopm...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I think that they need to create a new message board and seperate RMS and POS > into 2 different sections. I purchased POS thinking it had all these > features only to find ou...

Use query from another database
Hi In the code below is there a way that qryOrderHistory could be in a separate database. If so how would i refer to it in the code. Thanks Dim db As DAO.Database Dim qd As DAO.Querydef Dim rs As DAO.Recordset Set db = CurrentDb Set qd = db.QueryDefs("qryOrderHistory") qd.Parameters("prmCustNo") = lngCustNo Set rs = qd.OpenRecordset() If Not rs.Eof Then .... code to populate an excel spreadsheet Change your 'Set db = CurrentDb' line to something like the following .. Set db = DbEngine.OpenDatabase("full path and name of target MDB here") -- ...

Database Queries with database views, that base on many database t
I created 2 database views. Each of them uses 256 database tables. From every database table only one column is used in the select list of the view. Every database table has one column which is used for the join. Each database table has 5 rows. The database tables have not any foreign keys and indexes. Both views works fine. When I use the database views in a query like this: SELECT v1.*, v2.* FROM v1, v2 WHERE v1.id=v2.id I should get 5 rows with 512 columns in the resultset. But I get the following error from the SQL-Server (after about 5 minutes): Msg 8621, Level 17, State 2...

Problems using excel as an oledb datasource
I have an application using Jet4.Oledb to select data from an excel spread sheet. My problem is that some of the field values contain the single quote char such as the brand name "L'Oreal" but when I get the data back it is returned as "Loreal". My sql statement is pretty basic: SELECT * FROM[Sheet1$] ORDER BY brand_name Everything else works fine, it just seems to not want to return a single quote as a literal part of the string. Any ideas how I can get around this? Thanks Lee ...

Form using Combo Box to enter info
Hi all, I know this should be a pretty simple question but I can not get the answer via forms and the 3 books I have. I have a table to track my internal invoices so I have the following fields: Vendor Invoice# Invoice Amt Invoice Date Date Paid I have a form that allows me to input the Vendor, Invoice#, Invoice Amt, & Invoice Date. Two weeks later when I get confirmation of the invoice being paid I tried to set up another form that does the following 1 - Select the invoice# 2 - Get Vendor, Invoice Amt, Invoice Date (for information for the user) 3 - Be able to enter the Date Paid I ...

Impact of changing database column width?
Hi, We are a software product company and are planning to begin using the Contract Administration module. To do so, we will be switching our inventory items from Track: None to Track: Serial Numbers and we will be storing our software license keys in the Serial Number field which is column SERLTNUM in table SOP10201. Unfortunately, SERLTNUM is CHAR(21) and our license keys are a few characters wider than 21. We can get the keys down to 21 characters by removing three embedded hyphens, but there are several databases outside of GP where the license keys must still exist with...

Daily Importing of External Data using Web Query
Every month I create a spreadsheet from a template by creating one ta for each day of the month named after day of the month/year (010104). then maually enter a Web Query on each tab which downloads dail weather information for an insect life cycle model. This is a very time consuming and tedious task because the onl difference in the links is the expression "20040101" (for January 01 2004) to "20040102" (for January 02,2004) INCLUDED IN THE LINK. Is it possible to use a macro (VBA code) to enter the Web Query addres in cell A1 on each tab when the workbook is created an...

Is there a way to create a splitter without using CSplitterWnd?
Hi, friend, In VC++ MFC, I am trying to create a (or more) splitter in a parent window so that a user may resize its 2 (or more) child windows. But I was told not to use CSplitterWnd in parent window since CSplitterWnd may limit flexibility in future. I tried many ways as I could think, but no luck. Is there a way to do so without using CSplitterWnd? If yes, what are the steps we should take? Any sample code, reference articles? Thanks a lot. Andrew wrote: > Hi, friend, > > In VC++ MFC, I am trying to create a (or more) splitter in > a parent window so that a user may...

Set Database in Excel
In Microsoft article 183446 under method 2, it refers to using "Set Database" on the Data menu. I am using Excel 2002 (the article says it applies to Excel 2002), but Set Database does not appear in my Data menu. Is this an error? It's an error due, I think, to very old menu structures. The article says that the information applies to everything from version 5.0 (1995) through 2003, inclusive. But I believe that the Set Database menu item disappeared from the Data menu as of Excel 97. And one has long defined a name using the Insert menu, not the Formula menu. But my rapidl...