Connecting to Sql Server

I have been using Named Pipes to connect to our SQL server for almost a year
now.  Sporadically, connection to the database is dropped, I have checked
cabling, UPS, switch, disconnected every piece of POS hardware it is still
will occur every great once in a while.  It usually occurs when trying to get
the date and time, however I have seen it happen immediatedly after scanning
an item too, and a slightly differerent error occurs.

Mainly I wonder if changing to a TCP/IP connection would help.  I have been
unable to get a connection to form between the server and a client this way.
The sql server Network Utility is setup for TCP/IP, uses port 1433, 1433  is
open and not blocked by any kind of firewall. I have tried using the name of
the server and the ip address but still no luck.  Is it worth even trying to
pursue this avenue or will it not make a difference

Patrick
0
Patrick2861 (490)
10/6/2005 9:01:08 PM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Set up static IP addys for each machine.  Put the server IP in the alias box
on the client util at each machine that accesses the dB.  Uncheck auto on
port assignment.  Make sure TCP/IP is listed prior to Named pipes in the
list.  It makes a big difference.  Now your pointing straight at a machine
and not searching UNC.
mt

"Patrick" <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been using Named Pipes to connect to our SQL server for almost a
>year
> now.  Sporadically, connection to the database is dropped, I have checked
> cabling, UPS, switch, disconnected every piece of POS hardware it is still
> will occur every great once in a while.  It usually occurs when trying to
> get
> the date and time, however I have seen it happen immediatedly after
> scanning
> an item too, and a slightly differerent error occurs.
>
> Mainly I wonder if changing to a TCP/IP connection would help.  I have
> been
> unable to get a connection to form between the server and a client this
> way.
> The sql server Network Utility is setup for TCP/IP, uses port 1433, 1433
> is
> open and not blocked by any kind of firewall. I have tried using the name
> of
> the server and the ip address but still no luck.  Is it worth even trying
> pursue this avenue or will it not make a difference
>
> Patrick

0
mastaT (109)

SQL Server Backup overwrite?
My current backups are stored here S:\backup\retail123.bak. I want to over write this backup with S:\backup\retail.bak using INIT. My question is will this make two copies (retail123.bak, retail.bak) or will this overwrite the existing retail123.bak and saves only one backup i.e. retail.bak. Do I need to add SKIP command also so that it will overwrite any backup exists in that folder with retail name? Please clarify.. On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:45:58 -0700 (PDT), Bero <robertatnova@gmail.com> wrote: >My current backups are stored here S:\backup\retail123.bak. >I want t...

Reinstall Exchange 2003 on Same Server
We have multiple problems on a current Windows 2003 Server (also a DC - will DCPROMO down first and wait for replication) with Exchange 2003; therefore, we would like to reinstall the OS on this server. **** The errors are related to an application we previously had installed on this server and no longer have.**** Anyhow, after the reinstall of the OS, we will put back Exchange 2003 DB (priv & pub files). Is there a proper high-level process you guys can tell me in how to approach this procedure? Thank you. you will need to use /DisasterRecovery switch http://www.msexchange....

SBS Connectivity issues
Experiencing intermittent delays and dropped connections to Small Business Server. Config is: SBS2003 SP2 (all current patches) running on HP ML110 server; 4 PCs onsite - 3 used by onsite staff; 1 used by remote user to access server via RWW. Users run basic Office apps, Outlook, Quickbooks, internet access. Also have an Avaya VIOP phone system (4 phones) on the network. Everything has been in place for almost 4 years. Having more frequent connectivity issues. Onsite PCs show delays in Outlook connecting to Exchange ('Trying to connect ...). Remote user reports...

New Exchange Server from an Old One
I have a currently running Exchange 2003 Std SP2 server. I am building a VMware VM for Exchange and was hoping to just move all of the mailboxes and what not to the new server. Is there a easy way to do this? If so, what are the steps? Move all the user mailboxes with movemailbox, then: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822931/en-us "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:309A5FA3-AE27-4C88-AB81-68E14EAA6063@microsoft.com... >I have a currently running Exchange 2003 Std SP2 server. I am building a > VMware VM for Exchange and was hoping ...

"Server Busy" error
Sometimes when I try to do a function wher Money needs to fetch something on the web I get a dialog box like this: SERVER BUSY This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose 'Switch to' to activate the busy program and correct the problem. SWITCH RETRY If I hit Switch, it only brings up the START menu. If I get Retry, it does nothing. I have no programs running in the background. When this happens I have to kill money with the task manager. Any ideas? Please mail to @JAIME_EMMANUELLI@Hotmail.COM (remove the @ before JAIME) if you can. -Jaime ...

FTE's in Portfolio Server vs Project Server
Is there a way that I can change the calendar for the calculation of FTE's in Portfolio Server? It appears to calculate FTE's based on an 8 hour day, resulting in my Project Server imported Resource Utilisation showing as 0.92 or something per FTE. FYI, the export from PPS to PS Resource Plan the value is correct 1 FTE = 1 FTE, it's just when I Update Availability do I see these different values. Any help would be great thanks, Martin Laukkanen ...

ODBC Connection Not Connecting
I am using the below code to 1) automatically connect to a Microsoft ODBC for Oracle connection called "FIN_CUR" and 2) run an query on a linked table in FIN_CUR The issue i am having is that the ODBC connect part of the script appears to be working, but when it goes to try to run the query I still get the popup prompting for user name and password to make the connection to the ODBC. I have verify that the user name and password are correct, but don't know what I am missing. Here is my code Public Sub OraConnect() Dim strErr As String On Error GoTo...

VPN can't connect to workstations
I am running a 2k3 network and I am trying to connect my laptop w/ Vista to it using VPN. I can connect to the server and use server shares with no problem. My problem is that it cannot connect to the workstations . Would appreciate any input on that. "john" <johnbahran@hotmail.com> said this in news item news:b4419f87-386b-41de-876a-e3546096ecc2@c34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > I am running a 2k3 network and I am trying to connect my laptop w/ > Vista to it using VPN. I can connect to the server and use server > shares with no problem. My problem is ...

Installing Intelligent Message Filter on additional servers
I am currently running Exchange 2003 SP1 on four servers, two of which are frontend servers. One frontend server already has Intelligent Message Filter installed on it. I am now planning to install IMF on the second Frontend Server, are there any issues I should be aware of, will the install on the second server cause the Message Delivery tab at the top of the organisation to be updated to it's default settings? Non of the docs on IMF are very clear about the issue. thanx Susie There should be no issue and settings should not be overwritten. Altough maybe you should consider up...

Simultaneous socket connections. Is there a limit?
My client wants me to write an application that maintains 30 or 40 simultaneous socket connections to different hardware devices. For each device the throughput requirements are very small since only some small packets are sent occasionally at random intervals. Is there a simultaneous limit? 30 or 40 is far more then I have ever done. I don't want any surprises. Is there a limit? I assume XP Professional would handle this. Correct? Would XP Home be any different? My laptop has XP home. To certain incoming ports, its 10, although there are several cracks out their to remove this...

Outlook Win98SE Trying to Connect to Server time out. IBM 390E & Rogers.com
I have loaded Win98SE and Office 97 on an IBM 390E laptop using IBM Etherjet 10/100 network card connected to a D- Link 714P+ 4-port wire&wireless cable router. Network file transfers work fine, IE 6 works fine. Outlook often hangs when it loads and trys to connect to the (Rogers.com) server to download email messages. I contacted Rogers tech support and all settings are correct. If I take the router out of the loop and connect directly to the cable modem - Outlooks works like a charm & fast downloading of messages. I have 3 other PCs connected on the LAN and all work fine...

server connect
When I first start up Outlook 2003, it contacts the mail server and everything is hunky-doory. However, when attempting to next access the mail account by the send/receive access or in background, it indicates that it cannot locate the server and gives me error (0x80004210A). This error number is not consistent other than for the 0x800 portion. The location does not change, so how can it find it initially, and not later on? I'm confused. What type of mail server? POP3, IMAP, Exchange, HTTP, Other...? Does the same happen when you disable your firewall and/or virusscanner (integra...

IMAP: A connection to the server cannot be established
I have Outlook 2007 Installed on Two Separate PCs. One has Vista installed, and the other, Windows 7. McAfee Security Center is the Anti-Virus software unstalled on both PCs. I have setup 2 IMAP Accounts on each PC and can only get the ones on the Vista Box to work correctly. This is the error I keep getting on the Windows 7 Box: Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders for [my-email-account].' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for [my-email-account]. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this ...

Linked Servers
I would like to create two linked servers to the same data source. The first linked server has fairly open access to the database. The second linked server will have limited access to the database (readonly on one view). The two Linked Servers would be configured to access the database through different logins on the source server with different access to the same database. The first Linked Server works fine. I can't seem to configure a second linked server to the same datasource, even if I define the Server type as another data source. How can I create two linked s...

Intranet Connection
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C3CF10.F7EDF7A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am trying to connect 5 computers using Outlook XP intranet. What is = the best way to connect them....using MS mail, MS Exchange, etc. Thanks Douglas ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C3CF10.F7EDF7A0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD>...

IE8 and Firefox won't connect to Yuku?
I've been having an issue tonight where my internet won't connect to the Yuku site first on IE8 then on Firefox, both sites got the same screen telling me it's an inactive site and I have connection issues. I ran the trouble shooter and it's telling me I don't have an issue? I'm on Windows 7 upgrade from XP, Windows Firewall is on, spyware is AVG and Spybot. I checked all the settings and nothing looked different as I was on the site like 2 days ago. Any ideas on what the problem is? Maybe you do have connection issues? 4thjet wrote: > I've been ...

Hotmail connection
I'm new to Microsoft Outlook, and want to view and send email using Microsoft Outlook. I have used Hotmail for quite a while, and am looking for a method of "re-routing". (?) I played around with the configurations, but still could not connect to my hotmail accout through Outlook. Can any one help? Thanks. Which version of Outlook? Microsoft(R) Outlook(R) (9.0.0.2711) Internet Mail Only Copyright (c) 1995-1999 Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved. "miker67@gmail.com" wrote: > Which version of Outlook? > > zephyrus17 <zephyrus17@discussions.micros...

Maintain network connectivity on shutdown?
Hello, we have added a script to run at Windows shutdown and in testing it seems to at least run, but the problem is part of the script process that needs to access a server on our network fails because it appears that network connectivity has been dropped at this point in the shutdown process. Is there any way to set it so that network connectivity is retained on shutdown? For example, if there is still at least IP connectivity (but the WINS service has been shutdown), then could we run something on a command line to invoke the network resource? Any help would be greatly appreci...

OWA Through Front End Server
I am connecting to OWA through a front end server. I am using forms, and have a relevent certificate on the front end. I am using SSL and can login ok.... However, after logging in, the OWA page is screwed up - it is like one quarter of the page is loaded - but in basic form. Any ideas? TIA Are you using IE? If so what version? If you select basic does it work? What about a different browser? Nue "Jim" <jim@hmail.com> wrote in message news:KcCdnazjmNukjQXZnZ2dnUVZ8tOdnZ2d@pipex.net... >I am connecting to OWA through a front end server. I am using forms, and >...

No Internet connections in Network connections!!!
Hi im new to this forum and really need help. Yesterday I decided to set up my computer again (It had been in the garage because I wasn't using it for a while). Anyways, when I first started it up it worked fine and the internet connection worked as well. Later on it began to shut off unexpectedly if i tried to remove a program through task manager that wasn't working, so since it didn't have any important data, I decided to reformat my hardrive and reinstall microsoft xp. When I started up my cpu again, I noticed that there were no connections, even though I had not unp...

Problem accessing remote SQL Server from C# application
I have a remote SQL Sever 2008 DB which works flawlessly when using Management Studio. However, whenever I try to reach the DB from a C# app developed on Visual Studio 2008, I get "40 =96 could not open a connection to SQL server" or something similar. I guess it has nothing to do with the connection to the server, since port 1433 is open on the server, and I can access the data, and perform any operarion with it, using Management Studio. Is there any other thing I should try? Thanks is advance http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2006/09/30/SQL-Server-2005-Remot...

SQL Server Question
I know that this is probably the wrong place to put this, but I don't know where the SQL server communities are. Therefore, I am hoping someone can help me anyway. I am very new to SQL server, but have extensive experience in Access. I am now moving an Access database to SQL Server. One of my tables has about 34000 records. I moved this to SQL and then added a new field called bit_Supply. Now I cannot modify any of the values of the table in Access. Here is the problem. For some reason, Access says the data in the field is "0" (zero). SQL Server says the data in t...

Remotely connect to SBS 2003
I'm a little new here. Trying to remotely connect to a SBS2003 server. However, the ISP uses DHCP to assign addresses so every 2 days the external IP changes. How can I connect to the server without asking someone at the office to give me the new external IP all the time? I've already assigned a static IP to the server in the range of 192.168.1.XXX and allowed port 3389 to that address in the router. I can connect fine when I have the correct external IP. Thanks in advance! R. Hi Remi: Welcome..... You should have a static IP address, or a dynamic to static t...