connecting to a new machine

Hi-  I added another machine to my network .. I tried to connect to my
database via admin. with connect and the server name did not show up on the
list (file, connect, server)...  So it is not recognizing the Server...  Why
I wonder?

Brent

0
sagemaster (106)
2/27/2007 11:23:31 PM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

type in the server name.

"Brent" <sagemaster@mvdsl.com> wrote in message
> Hi-  I added another machine to my network .. I tried to connect to my
> database via admin. with connect and the server name did not show up on
> the list (file, connect, server)...  So it is not recognizing the
> Server...  Why I wonder?
>
> Brent

0
anonymous (74723)
2/27/2007 11:40:15 PM
Nope- I wish it was that easy.  The crazy thing is that I can connect to an
other server on an other machine, but not the other machine...

"root" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> type in the server name.
>

> "Brent" <sagemaster@mvdsl.com> wrote in message
>> Hi-  I added another machine to my network .. I tried to connect to my
>> database via admin. with connect and the server name did not show up on
>> the list (file, connect, server)...  So it is not recognizing the
>> Server...  Why I wonder?
>>
>> Brent

0
sagemaster (106)
2/28/2007 12:07:04 AM
Sounds like a Windows Firewall issue.  There was an entry way back when SP2
came out for XP that had the firewall.  There were a few things you had to
"customize" Windows Firewall to allow this to work.

--

John M.
> Nope- I wish it was that easy.  The crazy thing is that I can connect to
> an other server on an other machine, but not the other machine...
>
> "root" wrote in message news:...
>> type in the server name.
> "root" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> type in the server name.
>>

>> "Brent" <sagemaster@mvdsl.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi-  I added another machine to my network .. I tried to connect to my
>>> database via admin. with connect and the server name did not show up on
>>> the list (file, connect, server)...  So it is not recognizing the
>>> Server...  Why I wonder?
>>>
>>> Brent

------=_NextPart_000_0065_01C75B27.F3F684E0

Is your second computer using the same IP range ?
Maybe you can try to enter the computer IP instead of the computer name. =
But if you do that you will need to ensure that computer's IP is static.

JB

"Brent" <sagemaster@mvdsl.com> wrote in message =
> Hi-  I added another machine to my network .. I tried to connect to my =

> database via admin. with connect and the server name did not show up =
on the=20
> list (file, connect, server)...  So it is not recognizing the =
Server...  Why=20
> I wonder?
>=20
> Brent=20
>=20

------=_NextPart_000_0065_01C75B27.F3F684E0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#008080 size=3D2><STRONG>Is your =
second&nbsp;computer=20
using the same IP range ?</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#008080 size=3D2><STRONG>Maybe you can =
try to enter=20
the&nbsp;computer IP instead of the computer name. But if you do that =
you will=20
need to ensure that computer's IP is static.</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#008080 =
size=3D2><STRONG></STRONG></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#008080 =
size=3D2><STRONG>JB</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Brent" &lt;</FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:sagemaster@mvdsl.com"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>sagemaster@mvdsl.com</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; =
wrote in=20
message </FONT><A =
href=3D"news:uhHjMZsWHHA.1180@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl"><FONT=20
face=3DArial =
size=3D2>news:uhHjMZsWHHA.1180@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl</FONT></A><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; =
Hi-&nbsp; I added=20
another machine to my network .. I tried to connect to my <BR>&gt; =
database via=20
admin. with connect and the server name did not show up on the <BR>&gt; =
list=20
(file, connect, server)...&nbsp; So it is not recognizing the =
Server...&nbsp;=20
Why <BR>&gt; I wonder?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Brent <BR>&gt;=20
<BR>&gt;</FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0065_01C75B27.F3F684E0--

0
julien9996 (95)
2/28/2007 4:02:35 PM
Yes- it was a firewall issue which is now fixed.  Thanks
Brent
"John M." <anonymous@discussions.microsft.com> wrote in message
> Sounds like a Windows Firewall issue.  There was an entry way back when
> SP2 came out for XP that had the firewall.  There were a few things you
> had to "customize" Windows Firewall to allow this to work.
>
> --
>
> John M.
> "Brent" <sagemaster@mvdsl.com> wrote in message
>> Nope- I wish it was that easy.  The crazy thing is that I can connect to
>> an other server on an other machine, but not the other machine...
>>
>> "root" wrote in message news:...
>>> type in the server name.
>> "root" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> type in the server name.
>>>

>>> "Brent" <sagemaster@mvdsl.com> wrote in message

0
sagemaster (106)

New to Windows Live
I just switched over from Windows XP, where I used Outlook for my email. My new Windows 7 machine doesn't have Outlook, so I'm trying to read my email via Live. I have multiple accounts, and I actually like how the accounts are listed separately. For some reason, I can't seem to reliably receive email from my main gmail account. At first it was bypassing the inbox and going straight to "all mail"--and not showing as unread. I uninstalled and re-installed this email address, and now "all mail" is no longer showing. I get new email, but once ...

sending new e-mail message
got a new computer - am able to reply to a message that someone sends to me, but cannot "create" a new message and send it. Comes back undeliverable. Have typed in different e-mail addresses to try and send to and comes back with every one of them. Please post your version of Outlook when requesting help. Depending on your version, what happens when you use the Test Account Settings? Post the exact error message on the Errors tab. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.c...

SBS Connectivity issues
Experiencing intermittent delays and dropped connections to Small Business Server. Config is: SBS2003 SP2 (all current patches) running on HP ML110 server; 4 PCs onsite - 3 used by onsite staff; 1 used by remote user to access server via RWW. Users run basic Office apps, Outlook, Quickbooks, internet access. Also have an Avaya VIOP phone system (4 phones) on the network. Everything has been in place for almost 4 years. Having more frequent connectivity issues. Onsite PCs show delays in Outlook connecting to Exchange ('Trying to connect ...). Remote user reports...

ODBC Connection Not Connecting
I am using the below code to 1) automatically connect to a Microsoft ODBC for Oracle connection called "FIN_CUR" and 2) run an query on a linked table in FIN_CUR The issue i am having is that the ODBC connect part of the script appears to be working, but when it goes to try to run the query I still get the popup prompting for user name and password to make the connection to the ODBC. I have verify that the user name and password are correct, but don't know what I am missing. Here is my code Public Sub OraConnect() Dim strErr As String On Error GoTo...

New Exchange Server from an Old One
I have a currently running Exchange 2003 Std SP2 server. I am building a VMware VM for Exchange and was hoping to just move all of the mailboxes and what not to the new server. Is there a easy way to do this? If so, what are the steps? Move all the user mailboxes with movemailbox, then: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822931/en-us "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:309A5FA3-AE27-4C88-AB81-68E14EAA6063@microsoft.com... >I have a currently running Exchange 2003 Std SP2 server. I am building a > VMware VM for Exchange and was hoping ...

Outlook Win98SE Trying to Connect to Server time out. IBM 390E & Rogers.com
I have loaded Win98SE and Office 97 on an IBM 390E laptop using IBM Etherjet 10/100 network card connected to a D- Link 714P+ 4-port wire&wireless cable router. Network file transfers work fine, IE 6 works fine. Outlook often hangs when it loads and trys to connect to the (Rogers.com) server to download email messages. I contacted Rogers tech support and all settings are correct. If I take the router out of the loop and connect directly to the cable modem - Outlooks works like a charm & fast downloading of messages. I have 3 other PCs connected on the LAN and all work fine...

VPN can't connect to workstations
I am running a 2k3 network and I am trying to connect my laptop w/ Vista to it using VPN. I can connect to the server and use server shares with no problem. My problem is that it cannot connect to the workstations . Would appreciate any input on that. "john" <johnbahran@hotmail.com> said this in news item news:b4419f87-386b-41de-876a-e3546096ecc2@c34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > I am running a 2k3 network and I am trying to connect my laptop w/ > Vista to it using VPN. I can connect to the server and use server > shares with no problem. My problem is ...

Simultaneous socket connections. Is there a limit?
My client wants me to write an application that maintains 30 or 40 simultaneous socket connections to different hardware devices. For each device the throughput requirements are very small since only some small packets are sent occasionally at random intervals. Is there a simultaneous limit? 30 or 40 is far more then I have ever done. I don't want any surprises. Is there a limit? I assume XP Professional would handle this. Correct? Would XP Home be any different? My laptop has XP home. To certain incoming ports, its 10, although there are several cracks out their to remove this...

Something new
Hi, I have something weird on my worksheet. In the upper left of the worksheet, I have two small buttons with the numbers 1 & 2 on them. They are just to the left of the column headers. I do not have any sub totals so I do not know what they mean. can someone tell me what they are and how to get rid of them. Thanks Sounds like you have some grouped rows. Select all cells, goto Data>Group and Outline.. and ungroup them -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "TO" <...

server connect
When I first start up Outlook 2003, it contacts the mail server and everything is hunky-doory. However, when attempting to next access the mail account by the send/receive access or in background, it indicates that it cannot locate the server and gives me error (0x80004210A). This error number is not consistent other than for the 0x800 portion. The location does not change, so how can it find it initially, and not later on? I'm confused. What type of mail server? POP3, IMAP, Exchange, HTTP, Other...? Does the same happen when you disable your firewall and/or virusscanner (integra...

IMAP: A connection to the server cannot be established
I have Outlook 2007 Installed on Two Separate PCs. One has Vista installed, and the other, Windows 7. McAfee Security Center is the Anti-Virus software unstalled on both PCs. I have setup 2 IMAP Accounts on each PC and can only get the ones on the Vista Box to work correctly. This is the error I keep getting on the Windows 7 Box: Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders for [my-email-account].' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for [my-email-account]. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this ...

IE8 and Firefox won't connect to Yuku?
I've been having an issue tonight where my internet won't connect to the Yuku site first on IE8 then on Firefox, both sites got the same screen telling me it's an inactive site and I have connection issues. I ran the trouble shooter and it's telling me I don't have an issue? I'm on Windows 7 upgrade from XP, Windows Firewall is on, spyware is AVG and Spybot. I checked all the settings and nothing looked different as I was on the site like 2 days ago. Any ideas on what the problem is? Maybe you do have connection issues? 4thjet wrote: > I've been ...

Hotmail connection
I'm new to Microsoft Outlook, and want to view and send email using Microsoft Outlook. I have used Hotmail for quite a while, and am looking for a method of "re-routing". (?) I played around with the configurations, but still could not connect to my hotmail accout through Outlook. Can any one help? Thanks. Which version of Outlook? Microsoft(R) Outlook(R) (9.0.0.2711) Internet Mail Only Copyright (c) 1995-1999 Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved. "miker67@gmail.com" wrote: > Which version of Outlook? > > zephyrus17 <zephyrus17@discussions.micros...

New to Using Outlook Help Please
Hi I'm transferrring for the first time from using a paper diary to using Outlook. Is there such a thing as a basic tutorial in how to use Outlook and its features. If so would truly appreciate a link. Happy New Year there are tutorials all over the internet. I have these two sites with lots of information and tips for using outlook but it's not really specific to 'converting from a paper diary'. It's usually easier to play around with it to learn how it works then if you have a specific problem, search for it or ask here. Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.n...

how to compare the old code and new code?
I have old code and old description in my excel. Now company given me new code with same description. I want to compare the old code with new code but description is same. how to compare? regards, pradeep.K Lets say your old data is in A:B and new data is in C:D (with description in A and C) In E1: =VLOOKUP(C1,A:B,2,FALSE) This will find the old code. If you want to highlight where changes have occured: =VLOOKUP(C1,A:B,2,FALSE)=D1 -- Best Regards, Luke M "Pradeep_ji78" <Pradeep_ji78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5861DF32-4...

Intranet Connection
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C3CF10.F7EDF7A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am trying to connect 5 computers using Outlook XP intranet. What is = the best way to connect them....using MS mail, MS Exchange, etc. Thanks Douglas ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C3CF10.F7EDF7A0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD>...

Maintain network connectivity on shutdown?
Hello, we have added a script to run at Windows shutdown and in testing it seems to at least run, but the problem is part of the script process that needs to access a server on our network fails because it appears that network connectivity has been dropped at this point in the shutdown process. Is there any way to set it so that network connectivity is retained on shutdown? For example, if there is still at least IP connectivity (but the WINS service has been shutdown), then could we run something on a command line to invoke the network resource? Any help would be greatly appreci...

No Internet connections in Network connections!!!
Hi im new to this forum and really need help. Yesterday I decided to set up my computer again (It had been in the garage because I wasn't using it for a while). Anyways, when I first started it up it worked fine and the internet connection worked as well. Later on it began to shut off unexpectedly if i tried to remove a program through task manager that wasn't working, so since it didn't have any important data, I decided to reformat my hardrive and reinstall microsoft xp. When I started up my cpu again, I noticed that there were no connections, even though I had not unp...

Remotely connect to SBS 2003
I'm a little new here. Trying to remotely connect to a SBS2003 server. However, the ISP uses DHCP to assign addresses so every 2 days the external IP changes. How can I connect to the server without asking someone at the office to give me the new external IP all the time? I've already assigned a static IP to the server in the range of 192.168.1.XXX and allowed port 3389 to that address in the router. I can connect fine when I have the correct external IP. Thanks in advance! R. Hi Remi: Welcome..... You should have a static IP address, or a dynamic to static t...

when copying a worksheet to a new one, some of the information do.
I had a long spreadsheet that I wanted to break in 2. I created a new worksheet and copied the rows and columns that I needed to copy. When I was done, column "A" was not copied and the rest of the columns were misalligned. Any suggestions please ? What I would do is make two identical worksheets and delete in each one what's not needed. If you click on the empty gray block about Row 1 and to the left of Col. A, it's selects the entire worksheet including column sizes. Copy and paste into a new worksheet, and then delete in each one what you don't want in each o...

new to XMLReader
Hi, I'm doing an XML project, and I've gotten to the point where I retreive my data from my SQL Server, and execute my XML Reader. How can I display the XML in a browser window now? Here is my code: string tXML; SqlCommand objCmd = new SqlCommand ("up_get_XMLStandardExterior", dbConnect()); objCmd.CommandType=CommandType.StoredProcedure; SqlParameter objParam = new SqlParameter ("@nControlIDNumber", DbType.Int16); objParam.Direction=ParameterDirection.Input; objParam.Value=1; objCmd.Parameters.Add(objParam); System.Xml.XmlReader myXmlReader = objCmd.Exec...

Connections in Exchange 2003 server showing 2 connections.
My exchange server keeps giving me the following error in the event log: Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeTransport Event Category: Routing Engine/Service Event ID: 929 Date: 9/21/2004 Time: 1:15:24 PM User: N/A Computer: EXCHANGE Description: Failed in reading Connector's DS Info Process Id: 1940 Process location: C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe ConnectorDN: CN=IST external mail,CN=Connections,CN=First Routing Group,CN=Routing Groups,CN=First Administrative Group,CN=Administrative Gr...

Problem connecting socket
On one machine I am having problems making a socket connection. When I try to connect, I immediately get an FD_CONNECT notification response with a WSAENOTCONN error. Sometimes the connection works; most of the time it doesn't. I don't think I am doing anything fancy. The code has not changed and has been working for awhile. Suddenly this machine seems to have a problem. Below is the connection code without the notification code. Can someone think of something to look for? Thanks /*******************/ /* Create a socket */ /*******************/ m_hSocket = socket(PF_INET,...