closing

What's the best way to close for the day? Making a backup is a given, but
what about the computer? Is it better to shut everything off every day, or
is it less wear and tear on the computer to leave it on all the time? Any
thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Craig

0
craig6967 (916)
5/4/2006 5:11:30 PM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

That's a matter of preference really. Personally I always turn off my rigs
at home when I'm done with them. At the store we leave most of ours on 24/7.
We've done it for years with no issues. Our register must be left on as it
does automatic backups to a tape drive every night. I'd set your monitors to
standby after 20 minutes of inactivity so they power down. The PC I'd just
leave running so it can do all it's automatic updates and whatnot (if it's
online) I like to reboot it at least once a month just to make sure
everything gets refreshed, free up any memory that isn't releasing, etc.
Other than that it's important to keep the PC clean and dust free. Invest in
some compressed air and take the side off the case once a month to blow the
dust off of everything (if you have an easy to get into tower.) That should
keep it in good condition no matter how you decide to run it. Dust is a PCs
worse enemy.

"Craig" <craig@cctropicalparadisepets.com> wrote in message
> What's the best way to close for the day? Making a backup is a given, but
> what about the computer? Is it better to shut everything off every day, or
> is it less wear and tear on the computer to leave it on all the time? Any
> thoughts on this would be appreciated.
>
> Craig

Craig,

Leave em on and do maintenance items in the middle of the nite.  Virus
checks, disk checks, update the OS, backups, defrags, create restore points,
etc.  We also schedule a restart at 6 every morning.

--
*

You must be using Outlook Express or some other type of newsgroup reader to
see and download the file attachment.  If you are not using a reader, follow
the link below to setup Outlook Express.  Click on "Open with newsreader"

http://tinyurl.com/75bgz

**********

"Craig" <craig@cctropicalparadisepets.com> wrote in message
What's the best way to close for the day? Making a backup is a given, but
what about the computer? Is it better to shut everything off every day, or
is it less wear and tear on the computer to leave it on all the time? Any
thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Craig

0
spam3944 (2163)
5/4/2006 7:09:40 PM

My name is Brian Katz and I am the General Manager and founder of a family
business based in Las Vegas, Nevada.   Our business consists of the design,
importation, distribution and retail of textiles which includes products such
as rugs, fabrics and ready- made drapes.   We currently operate twenty six
stores from California to Florida and are expanding.

We are seeking a dynamic professional to direct our technology department
who has a strength in RMS.

Can you provide some direction on where to find such an individual?

Thanks,

Brian

Sqyardbrian@earthlink.net

0
MIS9933 (1)
5/4/2006 11:53:01 PM
Morris and Jeff, thanks for your input. I sort of thought leaving them on
was the way to go, just makes me feel better knowing somebody that knows
what they're doing does it that way also.
Craig
"Jeff" <spam@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Craig,
>
> Leave em on and do maintenance items in the middle of the nite.  Virus
> checks, disk checks, update the OS, backups, defrags, create restore
> points,
> etc.  We also schedule a restart at 6 every morning.
>
> --
> *
>
> You must be using Outlook Express or some other type of newsgroup reader
> see and download the file attachment.  If you are not using a reader,
> follow
> under the MS Retail Management System on the right.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/75bgz
>
> **********
>
> "Craig" <craig@cctropicalparadisepets.com> wrote in message
> What's the best way to close for the day? Making a backup is a given, but
> what about the computer? Is it better to shut everything off every day, or
> is it less wear and tear on the computer to leave it on all the time? Any
> thoughts on this would be appreciated.
>
> Craig

0
craig6967 (916)

Open & Close Access Database Using Script
Using Access 2003: Is there a way to open and close access database using a script or a batch file? Please advise. Thank you. Brig On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:44:54 -0400, "Brig Siton" <bnospamsiton@yahoo.com> wrote: Sure. For example you can use the Windows Scheduler to run an Access program on a scheduled basis. You essentially run a command line like this: <path_to>msaccess.exe <path_to>your.mdb -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >Using Access 2003: > >Is there a way to open and close access database using a script or a batch ...

Project Closing
I have a Project for which I cannot close. The Project Closeout screen says the checklist is not complete. It only has 1 invoice which is have already received cash against. On the project screen itself, the project shows $0 in both Billings to Date and Receipts. Has anyone come across this issue before? The project had one fee & one misc log with with no profit associated with it. Thanks There is one workaround given in customersource for closing projects that doesnt fulfill project checklist. You may want to refer to that to close the project through workaround. Dont remember e...

Force MSN Money Updates when Closing Money 2003/2004
Is there any method for forcing money to synchronize with MSN Money on closing the software as opposed to it asking Yes/No? I always want it to sync and have hating always choosing yes. You can force it to never sync by checking a check box on the Yes/No prompt, but not to always sync as far as I can tell. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ...

windows close and dissapear
I have had this problem for months__a few windows are open and one of them,any one that starts to take a bit more time to open,I decide to terminate 1 window,and be blowed , all the widows shut together,bit of a problem when you are checking prices etc. on different pages and all just disappear any help with this please Running XP3 and IE6+ With kind regards Upgrade to IE8 ....Alan -- Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer http://dts-l.com/index.htm On Tue, 25 May 2010 18:09:15 +1000, in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, "Mr Percy Verence" <...

save & close after web query refresh
Hi, I am trying to automatically save & close a series of workbooks after refreshing all the web queries they contain. I have tried to follow the Help instructions on setting up an AfterRefresh event, but I modified the initiation sub so it refers to the last query table on the sheet: Dim clsQueryTable As New ClsModQT Sub RunInitQTEvent() Dim clsQueryTable As New ClsModQT Dim iQ As Integer iQ = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Input").QueryTables.Count clsQueryTable.InitQueryEvent QT:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Input").QueryTables(iQ) End Sub I was hoping to use this sub in the ...

Outlook is receiving POP email even when closed.
Outlook 2007 is receiving POP email even when closed. I have searched everywhere to shut this off. Can anyone help? Thanks Some common reasons why Outlook will not shut down completely when you = click either the X or Exit: 1. PDA synchronization software with your PDA in the cradle. 2. WinFax Pro (especially 10.02 in Outlook 2003) - contact their = support for an alleged fix. 3. Franklin-Covey Plan Plus! 4. COM Add-ins. 5. Mail reminder add-ins that keep a stub of Outlook open in the = background to check for new mail and fire reminders. 6. Anti-virus/firewall programs that are set t...

Close Referenced Workbook if it's No Longer Referenced
Let me give you some background information first. I have a workbook (Quote Generator v3.xls) that references an add-in workbook (QG Add-In v3.xla). The Quote Generator v3 workbook is password protected thus opened as read only and the sales team uses it to produce product quotes. When the user saves a quote they have to rename the Quote Generator v3.xls workbook (because it is read only). For example, user saves the quote as CompanyABC Quote.xls onto the server. The sales person may have several quotes open that reference the QG Add-In v3.xla workbook and they may have thei...

There are too many Find Public Folders dialogs open. You must close them in orde
Hi, I'm using Outlook XP 2002 SP-2 and I got error message "There are too many Find Public Folders dialogs open. You must close them in order to use the Advance Find. Do you want to close them now?" when I answer Yes I get "Outlook cannot perform your search. Outlook can't display this view. A folder by this name already exists". I tried to install "Microsoft Outlook Update: December 4, 2002" but I can't as it said it is already installed. Thanks, TR ...

Tab control with close (x) button
Hi, I have some tabbed panes within a frame window. How do I add a close (x) button at the top-right hand corner of each tab? If it needs to be owner drawn, can someone point me to some samples? TIA, SD ...

: How to close a window opened with ShellExecute?
Hi, I am woking with a dialog based application.On click of a button I opened a text file using ShellExecute(NULL, "C:\\Text.txt", szPath, NULL, NULL, SW_MAXIMIZE ); On clicking another button I should be able to close this file. Can anyone please help with some function that automatically closes a file when passed the file path to it or how do I close a window opened with SehllExecute. Thanks you can enumearate that process by using it's name and after getting getting it's handle can call TerminateProcess() see these api's OpenProcess() EnumProcesses() Regards Har...

Display Serial Number on RMA Closing screen
In doing RMA clsoings, it is helpful to know which Serial Number we select from the RMA line to close and would like to see it display on the form. We had ePartners do a mod for us to see the Serial Number ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.micr...

Unable to unplug the USB device if I open and close any document from USB device from my application
Hi, I have written a aplication which support specific file format document say .dat file. By using this application I can open \ read \ write the .dat files. But If I open a .dat file which is present in USB device and modify the content of a file and close the file properly then if i try to unplug the USB (without closing my application) then Windows Vista \ XP will not allow to unplug the USB device it says "Windows can's stop your Generic volume device....." message box. To unplug the USB device I have to close my application. Can anyone please tell me why I am u...

Can't get Outlook 2003 to close all the way---Please help
Hi all, I just installed Office 2003 on a Windows XP professional System. I can't get outlook to shut down all the way. I've searched Google and have discovered that this is not an isolated incident and that many are having this problem. I have not been able to located a posting that provides a soultion yet. Can anyone help? I do have a Pcoket PC with Active Sync installed. I also deleted my existing pst file and created a new one with no data in it and I still have the same problem. Please help. This product has bee out for a little while and with the widespread amount of people who...

cannot close, open, save workbook. get message "file GWXL97.xla c.
When trying to open, close or save an excel workbook an error message appears "file GWXL97.xla could not be found". The only way I can exit excel is clicking on the "x" in the upper right corner. Office 2000 Hi in Excel goto 'Tools - addins' and remove this addin -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany ttarver wrote: > When trying to open, close or save an excel workbook an error message > appears "file GWXL97.xla could not be found". The only way I can > exit excel is clicking on the "x" in the upper right corner. Office > ...

Outlook hangs on close
Each day when I shut down Outlook, I get a box showing it is closing, but that box does not go away. I have to kill it in task manager. What could cause this and how do I fix it? Office 2000, Win XP Pro Thanks, Mich there are several articles in the Knowledge Base you might want to take a look at: http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1 "M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message news:%23ZTzd171EHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Each day when I shut down Outlook, I get a box showing it is closing, but > that box does not go away. I have to ...

socket.close()
I need to close a socket and use it immedeiatly again with another local port. Is it enough to do socket.close() in order to release all resources, or must I do anything more(like a delete or similar) before I use the "new" operator? Regards Ronny Ronny wrote: > I need to close a socket and use it immedeiatly again with another local > port. You can't. > Is it enough to do socket.close() in order to release all resources, Yes, Close() is equivalent to Dispose(). But after you close the socket, it can't be reused. You have to create a new ins...

Calculating perfect combination of numbers to end up as close to 1700.0 as possible
Hello, I'm stuck with a problem. I use the following file: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...culations.jpg/ (which works perfectly) The file uses MAX 15 different numbers (as seen in the IgG (g) column, 2 left of the red circled column). Basicly what I want excel to do is to calculate all different possible combinations from that list and tell me which batches (1 till 15) I would have to use to come as close to 1700 gram in total as possible. Like if I use the numbers 1 till 14, I would get a total of 1675.7 gram. Which comes pretty close to 1700, but there is probably a combinat...

Outlook 2000 will not close #2
I am running Outlook 2000 on WinXP. When I goto close Outlook it hangs up at the screen "Please Wait While Microsoft Outlook Exits." This started happening after I tried a beta copy of Office 2003 on another pc of mine on our network. I have tried reinstalling Outlook but it still does the same thing. I have even formatted my pc. Does anyone have any clue as to how to fix this? Thanks, I am having the same issue here, have you found a resolution to this yet? >-----Original Message----- >I am running Outlook 2000 on WinXP. > >When I goto close Outlook it hangs up...

Close Tasks
Is there a way to close tasks in mass fashion? I have about 19,000 tasks that were imported but not closed. ...

file removal before Excel closing
Hello, Here is an academic case. I have 2 Workbooks : the first contain datas, the second contain program modules. When the application close : I close the data workbook, then I remove this workbook on the hard disk, and finally, if there are not other opened Workbook, I leave Excel, if not to close the program workbook. This Closing can occur: either by the Click on a button "To leave" of a personalized toolbar affected with a subroutine of my program workbook, or by closing data workbook (File/ Close or Cross [ X ] window of the data workbook) or finally by closing of Excel (...

Button disappear when I close down Outlook
Help I have Outlook 2000 SP-3 9.0.0.6627 I am adding buttons to my std toolbar... using customize and drag and drop into toolbar When I close down Outlook and fire it up again, I lose the added buttons. What gives? It's like the buttons are only added temporarily. Thanks for your help Sounds like your outcmd.dat file (hidden file) has become corrupted. Rename it to outcmd.old when Outlook is closed and see if the changes stick now. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with ...

Folders added to "Favorites" disappearing after Outlook 2003 is closed and reopened
As the subject says, when I move a folder into the Favorites pane, if I restart Outlook, it has been deleted. I have tried clicking and dragging, and right clicking and selecting "Add to Favorites" and the results are the same. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks in advance. Mike Freeman mfreeman@itw-sep.com Hi there If you start Outlook with the /resetnavpane switch, this will remove all your favorites (and hopefully clear down any corruption there might be in the favorites settings). Then try re-adding the ones you want and restart Outlook to test. -- TechieBird http://b...

Closing Excel Attachment Also Closes Excel Minimized App
When opening an Excel attachment and closing it, if I have Excel minimized on my task bar, the application will close and I lose data. This does not happen when opening a Word attachment. I can close a Word attachement and my minimized Word app stays open. I am running W2K, Outlook 2002 and Office XP Professional. Thanks! ...

Need macro help to close excel

to create more than 2 open-high-low-close graphs in the same chart
Hi, Is it possible to create more than 2 open-high-low-close graphs in the same chart? Could someone help me? I am using Excel 2007. Thank you. ...