closing

What's the best way to close for the day? Making a backup is a given, but
what about the computer? Is it better to shut everything off every day, or
is it less wear and tear on the computer to leave it on all the time? Any
thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Craig

0
craig6967 (916)
5/4/2006 5:11:30 PM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

That's a matter of preference really. Personally I always turn off my rigs
at home when I'm done with them. At the store we leave most of ours on 24/7.
We've done it for years with no issues. Our register must be left on as it
does automatic backups to a tape drive every night. I'd set your monitors to
standby after 20 minutes of inactivity so they power down. The PC I'd just
leave running so it can do all it's automatic updates and whatnot (if it's
online) I like to reboot it at least once a month just to make sure
everything gets refreshed, free up any memory that isn't releasing, etc.
Other than that it's important to keep the PC clean and dust free. Invest in
some compressed air and take the side off the case once a month to blow the
dust off of everything (if you have an easy to get into tower.) That should
keep it in good condition no matter how you decide to run it. Dust is a PCs
worse enemy.

"Craig" <craig@cctropicalparadisepets.com> wrote in message
> What's the best way to close for the day? Making a backup is a given, but
> what about the computer? Is it better to shut everything off every day, or
> is it less wear and tear on the computer to leave it on all the time? Any
> thoughts on this would be appreciated.
>
> Craig

Craig,

Leave em on and do maintenance items in the middle of the nite.  Virus
checks, disk checks, update the OS, backups, defrags, create restore points,
etc.  We also schedule a restart at 6 every morning.

--
*

You must be using Outlook Express or some other type of newsgroup reader to
see and download the file attachment.  If you are not using a reader, follow
the link below to setup Outlook Express.  Click on "Open with newsreader"

http://tinyurl.com/75bgz

**********

"Craig" <craig@cctropicalparadisepets.com> wrote in message
What's the best way to close for the day? Making a backup is a given, but
what about the computer? Is it better to shut everything off every day, or
is it less wear and tear on the computer to leave it on all the time? Any
thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Craig

0
spam3944 (2163)
5/4/2006 7:09:40 PM

My name is Brian Katz and I am the General Manager and founder of a family
business based in Las Vegas, Nevada.   Our business consists of the design,
importation, distribution and retail of textiles which includes products such
as rugs, fabrics and ready- made drapes.   We currently operate twenty six
stores from California to Florida and are expanding.

We are seeking a dynamic professional to direct our technology department
who has a strength in RMS.

Can you provide some direction on where to find such an individual?

Thanks,

Brian

Sqyardbrian@earthlink.net

0
MIS9933 (1)
5/4/2006 11:53:01 PM
Morris and Jeff, thanks for your input. I sort of thought leaving them on
was the way to go, just makes me feel better knowing somebody that knows
what they're doing does it that way also.
Craig
"Jeff" <spam@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Craig,
>
> Leave em on and do maintenance items in the middle of the nite.  Virus
> checks, disk checks, update the OS, backups, defrags, create restore
> points,
> etc.  We also schedule a restart at 6 every morning.
>
> --
> *
>
> You must be using Outlook Express or some other type of newsgroup reader
> see and download the file attachment.  If you are not using a reader,
> follow
> under the MS Retail Management System on the right.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/75bgz
>
> **********
>
> "Craig" <craig@cctropicalparadisepets.com> wrote in message
> What's the best way to close for the day? Making a backup is a given, but
> what about the computer? Is it better to shut everything off every day, or
> is it less wear and tear on the computer to leave it on all the time? Any
> thoughts on this would be appreciated.
>
> Craig

0
craig6967 (916)

ThisWorkbook.Close question
Please take a look at the code below: Public Sub DumbFoo ( ) ThisWorkbook.Close() Sheet1.Range("A1").Value = -1 ThisWorkbook.Save() End Sub Is it safe to assume that the code below the "ThisWorkbook.Close()" line will NOT be executed??? My question is basically: Does all VBA code stop executing once a .Close() function is called??? Thank you! I don't believe the code would execute at all because of the parentheses after Close. It would throw an error an tell you that something is missing, or type mismatch. But, if you did...

How to Enable Close(cross) button of MB_YESNO messagebox
Hi, I want to enable the close(cross) button in the right corner of YESNO message box. Can anybody tell me how to do this. Klic. "Klic" <rohit.turambekar@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1186120969.045121.287770@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > I want to enable the close(cross) button in the right corner of YESNO > message box. > Can anybody tell me how to do this. Why? If there is a valid answer other than yes or no, then how about a yes/no/cancel message box in which (I would guess) the x button is equivalent to cancel. That would be more standard. Da...

closing
What's the best way to close for the day? Making a backup is a given, but what about the computer? Is it better to shut everything off every day, or is it less wear and tear on the computer to leave it on all the time? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Craig That's a matter of preference really. Personally I always turn off my rigs at home when I'm done with them. At the store we leave most of ours on 24/7. We've done it for years with no issues. Our register must be left on as it does automatic backups to a tape drive every night. I'd set your monitors ...

Outlook closes and closes
Hi I have a strange bug. Windows XP Sp2 and outlook from office 20003 with all service packs applied. When I start outlook from windows out of standby postion, outlook immediately after the splash screen closes without reporting any errors in the eventlog or in any other log. If I start outlook the 10th time (or so) it stabilizes and does not close anymore and everything works again. info: My machine is fully patched and I am well known with keeping things healthy. Outlook.exe Version: 11.0.6353.0 Any ideas what to do? Thanks... try the detect and repair in the help menu. >----...

Help
When creating or fowarding an e-mail message using outlook 2000, scrolling through my "recipients" list (contacts) causes the program to close unexpectedly. So, I click "new", click "to", switch to my "contacts" list, and as I scroll through the names, the program just closes. Is there a possibility that one of my contact records is corrupt? I have opened all of my contacts and saved them without an error. This problem developed shortly after the install of Office 2000's calender update, and basic security update. I have since fully u...

Auto-close Quotes when Closing Opportunity
We would like the ability to close an opportunity and have it ask if you want to close all the associated quotes. Right now, it says you can’t close the opp until you close all the open quotes and you have to each one of those one by one. Barring that, if we could select multiple quotes and click on a menu item (Close all selected quotes), that would be most useful. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not ...

Workflow Rule -> Closing Activity
I set up a Manual Workflow Rule for Contacts to close out Holiday Season cards sent. The rule uses a condition to check for Contacts with cards sent and then Creates an Activity to add to each of the appropriate Contacts for future reference. What else do I need to do to close out all of activites rather than 1 at a time? Here is the workflow rule if that helps: if Contact.holidaycardlist = 1 then Letter: Send Holiday Card endif -- Dan W Systems Engineer Denver, CO ...

Data file not closed properly #3
I saw several post regarding this, but none had any answers, so I starting a new post. There is also nothing in the KB about this. Since othe people are having the same problem Microsoft should take a look at it. I get the message "The data file 'Personal Folders" was not closed properly" every time I close Outlook 2003. It runs a quick check/fix and starts up fine. I am running XP pro w/ SP-2. Outlook 2003 w/ SP-1 All patches and updates are current. My notebook was just rebuilt for so I could get a clean slate for the office 2003 install, (reformat drive and new ins...

Outlook2003 open and closed immediatly
I checked event log, nothing. And this happened when I just reboot my machine and first time tried to open Outlook, still same problem. But I found, when I double click anywhere in the Outlook Windows even it only gave me 0.5 second, then it won't close. Andy -------------------------------------------------------------- >>Look in task manager - processes, and see if multiple >>instances are running. If so, end all of them and try >>starting again. I had similar problem w/user, posted >>above. >>>>>-----Original Message----- >>>>>My O...

Outlook Closes After Closing an Email
When I click the 'X' to close an email after reading it, Outlook closes (or tries to close, but I get a warning because I have templates in my Outbox). This only seems to happen when I close a new email. I have Outlook 2003. Thank you. ...

YE Closing Procedures
The year end closing procedures need to be more efficient and user friendly. For example, the payables and receivable management is date sensitive except for amounts since last close, vendor yearly summary etc. These modules should be fully date sensitive and the ability to enter into multiple years without caveats should exist. Year end is stressful enough ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the b...

Permissions / Closing MDB left open
I need to learn how to create - well, I'm not actually sure what I need to learn... Let me explain: I'm a surgical resident. I've been working on an Access MDB as a patient census - for day-to-day management including tables, queries, and forms that print based on room number or service. Everything is setup as needed in the local file. I've been working on the content of the database on and off for a year. Recently, before I can implement my project, I realized I have a very big challenge to overcome related to usage of the file. Now, to complicate my iss...

Closed account not so closed?
Hi All... I have (had) an investment account with E*Trade, which I have since closed. In MS Money 2006, I have it as "Account Is Closed", in the account list. There are a few weird things going on: 1. When I go into the account list, this account appears in gray with $0.00 next to it, but the "To Review" column has "Update in Progress" in it. This account is definately not part of my regular online updates (though when it was active, it was). 2. When I click into this account, 2 securities are listed. Neither one of them has Quantity or Cost Basis,...

Closing Excel #2
I have inherited an App desigend by an ex employee Sometimes the program leaves Excel in the task manager The programe uses various routines and calling various functions that define Excel sheets etc (badly named) I'm finding it hard to follow (my 1st experince of .NET) is there a way to KILL any Excel instence when exiting the program. I have come across some posts about GC (garbage collection) like this System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(oXLWsheet) oXLWsheet = Nothing 'System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(oXLWs) oXLWs = Nothing oBook.Clos...

when closing outlook favourite files disappear
When I create a favourite file by right clicking it creates ok and appears in the favouites section. After closing and reopening outlook the file disappears from the favourites section Bummer! -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "ceh" <ceh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C6E3908-E47D-4398-B12F-376AC9A7A8F8@microsoft.com... > When I create a favourite file by right clicking it creates ok and appears > in > the favouites sec...

Messages Close When Outlook Closes
Our company has recently upgraded to Outlook 2003 from 2000. 2003 has one very annoying feature that was not present in 2000: When the main Outlook program is closed, any open messages are also closed. 2000 would allow the messages to remain open when Outlook closed. Is this change by design, by oversight or by error? Is there some hidden registry tweak to change this behavior? Heck, even Outlook Express will allow messages to remain open when the program is closed! Jerry Are you using Word as the editor? If so, they might stay open... note that Outlook 2000 didn't allow it - it ...

Inventory Year End Close Should Display Last Close Date
I have run into several clients that have accidentally closed their inventory module twice. I suggest that the Inventory Year End Close window display the 'Last Closed Date' on it so that users can easily see when the inventory module has been closed. This will reduce the number of support calls. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the ...

Bulk Email to Closed Leads
(MS CRM 3.0) I am not sure if I am loosing my mind or if this really isn't possible. I need to send an email to 250 of my closed leads. I created a marketing list of the leads and a quick campaign for the email but all emails failed with an error something about being blocked by the bulk email. I spot checked the lead's preferences and they all allow bulk email. Do I need to reactivate these leads to do this since you can't create an activity for a closed lead? If so, does anyone have any ideas on how to do this easily? what is the issue if you make them active and send...

Multiple workbooks open -- closing workbooks
Dear Clever People, I hope this is not the "silly question of the day". We were wondering (when you have multiple workbooks open and you close one workbook) why are all other workbooks forced to be closed, too? Is it possible to ever close one workbook and leave all the others open? Thank you, Janet Close it by going to file>close or by pressing Ctrl + F4 or by clicking the smaller X below the big red X -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Janet Panighetti" <JanetPanighetti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1C9BC30B-BE1A-4605-B215-99C07CB1D366...

DoCmd.Close not closing form
I'm trying to automatically close a popup form (frmSearch), when the user clicks on a control in a continuous subform (frmSearchResults). My DoCmd.close statement appears to be doing nothing as the popup form stays open. Any ideas? Thank you. ### Private Sub Pt_LName_Click() Dim rs As Object Set rs = Forms!frmPatients.Recordset.Clone Forms!frmPatients.SetFocus rs.FindFirst "[PatientID] = " & Me.PatientID If Not rs.EOF Then Forms!frmPatients.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark ' Problem persists even if I delete this line or ' swap the order of thi...

Closing Opportunity
When you close an Opportunity, you can set the Status "Won" or "Lost." Based on what you select, it populates a drop-down list, Status Reason, right beneath it. How can I add my own options to this drop-down? Keith From Home, go to Settings>System Customization>Opportunities>Customize Form Click on the detail tab, then double click the Status Reason field. Add your own options from the value tab krschacht@hotmail.com (Keith) wrote in message news:<280caed6.0307091545.753caf87@posting.google.com>... > When you close an Opportunity, you can set the St...

How to close dividend account to retained earning (YE Closing)
At the end of year proceedure, is there a way to have the dividend accounts to close automatically in to retained earning. currently I have to manually do a J.E. If you setup your dividend accounts as P&L accounts instead of BS accounts they will automatically close to Retained Earnings. It won't screw up your financials or anything. The only thing the BS and P&L settings do is determine which accounts close to retained earnings. Leslie "anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote: > At the end of year proceedure, is there a way to have the > dividend ac...

freezes while closing !!!
The outlook 2003 freezes while closing. It takesalmost 3 monutes to close. I have tried to disable all the addins and still I have the problem. I also disabled the antivirus and teh firewall for some time and still it froze. Somebody help please !!!! Are you using a pst-file or an Exchange Mailbox? In the case of the first use scanpst.exe to scan it for errors. Does it also happen when you start with a clean profile? You can create an additional one for testing in Control Panel-> Mail-> button Show Profiles... -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Setting ...

CRecordset::Close & SQLFreeStmt
Hi Platform: VC++6, MFC, ODBC, MSDE, Win 2K I am reading lot of data from the MSDE database one by constructing a SQL statement which returns only one record But when I try to read data from a particular table which iterates through all the records in the CRecordset (using Open, IsEOF, MoveNext. Also, the Database connection is explicitly passed by me to the CRecordset derived class) and then call Close member function of CRecordset, I get a message box saying "User breakpoint called from code at 0x77f813b1" and later ending with an "Access Violation" error Basically th...

close button does not close
Acutally the close button, the big X on the upper right side, does close Excel, I just need to click it twice. While this really isn't a problem, It is annoying. Is there anything I can do to fix this. Thanks It turned out that Groupwise was conflicting with it. I followed the directions in this article and it fixed the problem. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260199 "goplayoutside" wrote: > Acutally the close button, the big X on the upper right side, does close > Excel, I just need to click it twice. While this really isn't a ...