A way to check who made a change to item

Is there a way to check who made a change to an item? I know how to check who
made a change to inventory #s, but is there a way to see an item history for
the item's information (ie changes made to price, description, ext
description etc.)?
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

No, there's no audit trail for property changes.

--
Glenn Adams
Tiber Creek Consulting

"The Comedian" <TheComedian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to check who made a change to an item? I know how to check
> who
> made a change to inventory #s, but is there a way to see an item history
> for
> the item's information (ie changes made to price, description, ext
> description etc.)?

0
glenn1806 (721)
7/22/2005 2:34:54 PM
 We are looking in to setting up our own database triggers to log changes to
the item table into our own audit table.
Tests seem to work okay, and we even wrote an active report to allow reports
of the changes within HQ Manager.
However we're a bit nervous about adding triggers to 'package software'
databases.
Also, we have't yet figured out how to capture the 'HQ Manager' User - which
is kind of essential in an audit log!.

Any thoughts on risks of setting up our own triggers or capturing the HQ
User in the trigger would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

"Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" wrote:

> No, there's no audit trail for property changes.
>
> --
> Glenn Adams
> Tiber Creek Consulting
> http://www.tibercreek.com
> glenn@tibercreek.com
> newsgroup so that all can share the information
>

> "The Comedian" <TheComedian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to check who made a change to an item? I know how to check
> > who
> > made a change to inventory #s, but is there a way to see an item history
> > for
> > the item's information (ie changes made to price, description, ext
> > description etc.)?

0
DaveP (21)
3/30/2006 3:01:02 PM
Trigger Dangers:
	Triggers have overhead.  Make sure you test before adding triggers to a
production database to ensure that you don't negatively impact perfomance.
	RMS 'touches' it's tables pretty frequently, and an UPDATE trigger is
going to get called a lot. Again, you may see performance problems...
	In the event that a future upgrade to RMS alters a table where you have
added a custom trigger, you can bet that your trigger will get blown
away in the upgrade.  Not that big a deal - just keep the create script
around...

Getting the HQ User:
	HQ is not open to customization in the way the Store Operations is.  I
don't believe there is a way to capture the user, especially if you are
trying to do it from the trigger; however, you set up unique SQL  users,
and set up each persons workstation to connect using their own
credentials rather than a common SQL username.  You CAN Get the SQL
username for the current user (I think is @@USER, but Check Books
Online), however, in the case of a Trigger, this may end up being the
user who created the trigger, or the table owner...

Glenn Adams
Tiber Creek Consulting
http://www.tibercreek.com
glenn@tibercreek.com

Dave P wrote:
>  We are looking in to setting up our own database triggers to log changes to
> the item table into our own audit table.
> Tests seem to work okay, and we even wrote an active report to allow reports
> of the changes within HQ Manager.
> However we're a bit nervous about adding triggers to 'package software'
> databases.
> Also, we have't yet figured out how to capture the 'HQ Manager' User - which
> is kind of essential in an audit log!.
>
> Any thoughts on risks of setting up our own triggers or capturing the HQ
> User in the trigger would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave
>
> "Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" wrote:
>
>> No, there's no audit trail for property changes.
>>
>> --
>> Glenn Adams
>> Tiber Creek Consulting
>> http://www.tibercreek.com
>> glenn@tibercreek.com
>> Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the
>> newsgroup so that all can share the information
>>

>> "The Comedian" <TheComedian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Is there a way to check who made a change to an item? I know how to check
>>> who
>>> made a change to inventory #s, but is there a way to see an item history
>>> for
>>> the item's information (ie changes made to price, description, ext
>>> description etc.)?

0
glenn9672 (1267)
3/31/2006 11:25:10 PM
Thanks Glenn.

I had come to the conclusion that the SQL user was the only way we could
identify people.  Of course setting a PC up to be multi-user and have user
specific SQL log-in is a bit tricky.... but we have it sorted.

Cheers,

Dave

"Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" wrote:

> Trigger Dangers:
> 	Triggers have overhead.  Make sure you test before adding triggers to a
> production database to ensure that you don't negatively impact perfomance.
> 	RMS 'touches' it's tables pretty frequently, and an UPDATE trigger is
> going to get called a lot. Again, you may see performance problems...
> 	In the event that a future upgrade to RMS alters a table where you have
> added a custom trigger, you can bet that your trigger will get blown
> away in the upgrade.  Not that big a deal - just keep the create script
> around...
>
> Getting the HQ User:
> 	HQ is not open to customization in the way the Store Operations is.  I
> don't believe there is a way to capture the user, especially if you are
> trying to do it from the trigger; however, you set up unique SQL  users,
> and set up each persons workstation to connect using their own
> credentials rather than a common SQL username.  You CAN Get the SQL
> username for the current user (I think is @@USER, but Check Books
> Online), however, in the case of a Trigger, this may end up being the
> user who created the trigger, or the table owner...
>
> Glenn Adams
> Tiber Creek Consulting
> http://www.tibercreek.com
> glenn@tibercreek.com
> newsgroup so that all can share the information.
>

> Dave P wrote:
> >  We are looking in to setting up our own database triggers to log changes to
> > the item table into our own audit table.
> > Tests seem to work okay, and we even wrote an active report to allow reports
> > of the changes within HQ Manager.
> > However we're a bit nervous about adding triggers to 'package software'
> > databases.
> > Also, we have't yet figured out how to capture the 'HQ Manager' User - which
> > is kind of essential in an audit log!.
> >
> > Any thoughts on risks of setting up our own triggers or capturing the HQ
> > User in the trigger would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > "Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" wrote:
> >
> >> No, there's no audit trail for property changes.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Glenn Adams
> >> Tiber Creek Consulting
> >> http://www.tibercreek.com
> >> glenn@tibercreek.com
> >> ----------------------------------------------
> >> Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the
> >> newsgroup so that all can share the information
> >>

> >> "The Comedian" <TheComedian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
DaveP (21)

Best Way ?
G'day All, Looking for some information. With Outlook you can have all your contacts...address, email address, yada, yada, yada. Can I use this information in to say mail merge with Word and email a letter to the ppl with email addresses? Or is this better done with a Access? The reason I ask is that we want to deliver an email to all our clients with the latest promotions. And want it to be a bit more automated? Any information or pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. Have a good one, Scott V You can use either Access or Outlook as the data source for a ma...

Change field length in V3.0?
I have a situation where we are trying to map address info from a custom entity to the contact entity. Problem is that they address field for the custom entity was created with only 50 char in length and the address field in contact entity that we are trying to map to is of course 100 chars long. So, if you go to the address attribute in the custom entity it appears that you can change it from 50 to 100....it lets you save that change....BUT, when you try to map the two fields it still throws the message about not being able to map the fields because they aren't identical, etc.... We have...

Printing Serial Numbers barcodes along with item code barcode
We use code 128a for or barcode format in-house. I've been trying to find a way within RMS's Label Designer, using an aftermarket code 128a font to add the serial number to the barcode label. I've been able to use the code 128a font for the serial number field, but that won't generate the necessary start code, checksum code and the stop code. So it's useless. My goal is to print the item code barcode and the serial number barcode on the same barcode label within the Label Designer. Does anyone know of a utility/add-in, etc. that will insert the correctly encoded ...

Payroll Check comment
Is there a way to include a one time comment/note on payroll checks and direct deposit stubs? When we want to put a message on the check stubs, I go to the correct report in Report Writer and place it on the format of the check and direct deposit. After checks are completed you just need to go back to Report Writer and be sure to remove it. "Andrea Smiley" wrote: > Is there a way to include a one time comment/note on payroll checks and > direct deposit stubs? Thanks...i was hoping for a better way like Paybles has. have a great weekend "Eleanor@fac" wrot...

Is there a way to color code Outlook Contact File Folder Labels?
Is there a way to color code Outlook Contact File Folder Labels? No. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ "isailhbca" <isailhbca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4DBD10F7-FAA0-4102-A4C3-E2697908EFE8@microsoft.com... >...

A way to create sub-categories?

Automatic e-mail check on startup.
Hello, When I startup Outlook 2003 it automatically starts checking my mailbox. Is there a setting to cancel automatic mail check on startup? Ren� Ren� wrote: > Hello, > > When I startup Outlook 2003 it automatically starts checking my > mailbox. Is there a setting to cancel automatic mail check on startup? > > Ren� Tools-Send and Receive-Send and Receive Settings-Define Send and Receive groups. Uncheck the box "Schedule an automatic send and receive every x minutes". Unfortunately the downside of this is that it does exactly that....... ...

is there a way to crop a corner out of a rectangular image in Visi
Using subtract on two shapes accomplishes what i want to do, but when the first shape is a .gif image, it does not work. No, the "boolean operations", as they're called, do not operate on foreign objects like bitmaps and controls. Visio has crop functionality for imported graphics, but it is only rectangular. You could draw a small white triangle and give it "no line". Then place it over the corner of your bitmap. -- Hope this helps, Chris Roth Visio MVP "doug" <doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29D479A6-6099-4051-B7A0-1...

List view with no item selection
How could i do that Handle LVN_ITEMCHANGING notification. Before return assign value 1 to *pResult. "Mubashir Khan" wrote: > How could i do that > > > ...

Outlook 2007 Spell Check issue
I am wondering if anyone else is having issueswith Outlook 2007 spell check? I have Outlook 2007 setup with an exchange account and two POP accounts. Everthing works exactly like it should except the spell check feature. Spell check is set correctly to prompt to change missed words (those underlined in red) before sending out emails. This only works correctly for the exchange account. If you mis-spell a word using the POP accounts it will be underlined in red pointing out that it is misspelled but I am never prompted to change it, the email just sends right out. I have tried an offic...

changing extension names
I did try that. I can't remember the exact complication but it did not work. Want to quote your original post? -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Cap't Bob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1169501c441aa$e2f94810$a401280a@phx.gbl... >I did try that. I can't remember the exact complication > but it did not work. ...

how to change the default form of a folder
can anyone please tell me how to change the default form of a folder to use a non-standard custom form. i have tried the syeps on the site. the link is a s follows: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292782 but the problem is that there is no way i can create an intermediate form. i have tried it. i am using outlook 2003. ...

is there a way to change the time card repor format?
i'm using activereports in RMS to generate a custome timecard report. for my timein and timeout colums, the datatype i have assigned to the columns is vbDate. when I generate the report, the columns only show the date as mm/dd/yyyy, they do not show the time of day piece for exactly when the cashier punched in or out. is there any way to change the formatting of this so that in the report the time shows up? for example, instead of showing 2/6/2005 in the time in column, it would show 2/5/2005 8:00:00 AM. thanks in advance, kevin There is a timecard report on the Reports Library...

Ability to change the vendor on a saved purchase order.
There are times when a purchase order is created and many line items are entered and then the purchase order is saved to find out later that those items are going to still be required but we will be purchasing them from a different vendor. The only way to do it now is to delete the purchase order and then re-enter it. It would be nice if the purchase order could be selected and the vendor changed, or alternatively if the line items could be moved to a different purchase order that is for the desired vendor. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft resp...

best way to deserialize xml
I'm at a quandry as to what's the best/fastest way to deserialize an incoming xml stream? I ran a small test on xmlserializer and on a small file it performed 10 times worse then when I used the XMLDocument and deserialized the values myself. Is the xmlserializer really that slow? I'm expecting a file about 1 MB in length and if it's that slow on a 2 K file then I can't phantom how it's going to behave on a 1 MB file. Should I just skip the xmlserializer and XML Dom and go straight to xmlreader and do the deserialization myself? This has been discussed a few times...

Can You Count This Way?
I have some cells with note type data: For ex: ax,3b7,22,xy,zz, Is there a way to count every item between the commas? Thanks. Hi try =LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",","")+LEN(A1)>0 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Timothy Wright wrote: > I have some cells with note type data: > > For ex: > > ax,3b7,22,xy,zz, > > Is there a way to count every item between the commas? > > Thanks. On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:13:53 +0200, "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote: >Hi >try >=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,&q...

Re balances change when sorting by month!!!!!!
it is money 2005 In microsoft.public.money, Travis Hedrick wrote: >When i am looking at my transactions over the past 3 months or even a year, if I decide to change the registry view to sort by a month, it changes all my balances and throws everything off. Can someone please help me out? Money 2004? --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =- Just re-sort it back by date "Travis Hedrick" wrote: > it is money 2005 > > In microsoft.public.mo...

Is there a way to Sort data by color in Excel?
I am trying to sort data by color, is that possible? see http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html#sorting -- HTH Bob Phillips "SRTUC" <SRTUC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5121232-FB1D-46AF-94F8-04B7EAA2D90C@microsoft.com... > I am trying to sort data by color, is that possible? You're gonna need a User defined function to get the value of a color. See Chip Pearson's site for a nice version: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm Look for: Returning The ColorIndex Of A Cell Then you could use that UDF in a separate colu...

AC2007-Change where to send Report.
Another Question from Andrew. I have a table [Contracts] with a field [Contract_Number], text field, no duplicates. This table is maintained by in house (Back end). Users of the database (Front end) fill out routine data on forms which fill up several tables. Queries are used to compile data for reports, most of which is the same however depending on [Client] the format of the form must change. I have designed several forms to meet their “Particular needs”. Is there a way to fire off the info to the right form (using a print form button) based on [Contract_Number] ? Any h...

tax can not change
Any one come across this situation You go to manager -database-item-properties Change the tax id = none Select ok Re-open and the tax is still assigned rms ver 2.0.0105 Administrator account With all access ? thanks "hozay" <hozay@jmmpr.com> wrote in message news:46D59D16-77DE-4139-AF9A-182178DD7D60@microsoft.com... > Any one come across this situation > You go to manager -database-item-properties > Change the tax id = none > Select ok > Re-open and the tax is still assigned > rms ver 2.0.0105 > Administrator account > With all acce...

How to keep leading zero without changing field to text field?
I've already tried to customize the number 0#### - the leading zero remains in Excel but as soon as I save this file and try to use it as a merge document with word the leading zero is gone again. I then have to go back and make this a text in order for the zero to remain when merging with word. http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/assistance/HA011164951033.aspx -- tj "Deni" wrote: > I've already tried to customize the number 0#### - the leading zero remains > in Excel but as soon as I save this file and try to use it as a merge > document with word the lea...

Allow Net Change and Part Range Options in MRP
Allow MRP to perform an MRP explosion and planning on a Net Change basis (MRP only for parts that have had a change since the last MRP). Also allow MRP to run for a range of Parts. In both cases, MRP should explode the selected items and create Planned MO's & PO's. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsread...

Fastest way to load an xml file into an array in .net

Auto change Account on specific Recipient ?
Hi, I have 10 email accounts configured in Outlook 2003 I have a customer to whom i have to write always from a specific email account. Is there a way to tell Outlook to automatically change ACCOUNT if it senses an sepcific email address ??? Thanks ! Alex ...

Is there a convenient way to save data
Is there a convenient way to save dialog data so it remembers the users last selection? I have a dialog based application that only has three user variables all of which are ints. What is the best way to make theses variables persistent for a given user on a given machine? Thanks "Jeff B" <jb@nospan.net> wrote in message news:fpDif.10451$Ay6.2336@fe13.lga... > > Is there a convenient way to save dialog data so it remembers the users last > selection? I have a dialog based application that only has three user > variables all of which are ints. What is the best w...