Where is Outlook Express in Windows 7?

Hi, I just purchased a computer with Windows 7. I went to Start-->All
Programs, and can't find OE on the menu. Is there OE in Windows 7? Please
help, thanks in advancel.
outlookexpress.general 525 articles. 0 followers. Follow

The last Windows version that had OE was XP. Win7 does not come with any
e-mail client. If you want to stick with an MS client, Windows Live Mail
is the successor to OE and Windows Mail (Vista).

Windows Live Mail (Overview, Features & Download):
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
--
           Bruce Hagen
         MS-MVP  [Mail]

"sheana" <sheana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I just purchased a computer with Windows 7. I went to Start-->All
> Programs, and can't find OE on the menu. Is there OE in Windows 7?
> Please
> help, thanks in advancel.

0
Bruce
2/19/2010 6:12:23 PM
sheana wrote:

> Hi, I just purchased a computer with Windows 7. I went to Start-->All
> Programs, and can't find OE on the menu. Is there OE in Windows 7? Please
> help, thanks in advancel.

When it was supported, OE came bundled with IE.  OE has long been
unsupported.  It is a dead program.  The last program updates were back in
2002 with one later functional change in SP-2 for Windows XP (to add
registry hacks for top/bottom-posting and signature placement).  The
development team disbanded in 2006.  You cannot get OE separately from IE.
They came bundled together.  As of IE7 and later, OE is no longer bundled
with IE.  Microsoft isn't going to bundle unsupported products with
supported products.

Vista comes with IE7 and Windows 7 comes with IE8 as their baseline versions
of that web browser.  You cannot install earlier versions of IE on those
Windows platforms.

You could run VirtualPC, VMWare Server, VirtualBox, or other virtual machine
managers (VMM) on Vista, install a pre-Vista version of Windows in a virtual
machine, and have OE running inside that virtual machine.  That requires
installing the VMM, installing an OS in a virtual machine (VM), and then
load that VM when you want to run OE.  A lot of work and nuisance to run a
long-dead e-mail client.

Windows Mail (WM) is the e-mail client included in Windows Vista.  Windows
*Live* Mail (WLM) is the replacement for both OE and WM.  Windows 7 does not
come with an e-mail client pre-installed so you will have to install one.

  For WLM:
  http://download.live.com

After installing just WLM, go into Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the
unwanted extra fluff software that Microsoft pushes onto you, like the
SignOn Assistant.  While WLM is reminiscent of OE, it has some functional
differences.  For help, the WLM newsgroup is at:

  microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop

There are plenty of other e-mail clients available, some of which are free,
like Thunderbird (and a derivative called Sunbird), or PIM programs that
have an e-mail functions, like EssentialPIM.  You'll have to decide what
e-mail client you want to use under Windows 7 since that OS doesn't include
one.
0
VanguardLH
2/19/2010 6:54:12 PM
See
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/f9bfcc4b-8de6-4b3c-9da8-ab075804f318

NB: There are no Windows 7-specific newsgroups, only forums:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7
<bye-bye>

You'll find support for Win7 Mail Clients in this forum:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7network/threads

You will find support for Windows Live Mail in this public newsgroup:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

sheana wrote:
> Hi, I just purchased a computer with Windows 7. I went to Start-->All
> Programs, and can't find OE on the menu. Is there OE in Windows 7? Please
> help, thanks in advancel.

0
PA
2/19/2010 8:23:56 PM
Microsoft abandoned the OE users in Win7.

"sheana" <sheana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I just purchased a computer with Windows 7. I went to Start-->All
> Programs, and can't find OE on the menu. Is there OE in Windows 7? Please
> help, thanks in advancel.

0
Steve
2/20/2010 1:20:48 PM
I thought already in Vista.

DAS

To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'
--
"Steve Cochran" <scochran@oehelp.com> wrote in message
> Microsoft abandoned the OE users in Win7.
>

> "sheana" <sheana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, I just purchased a computer with Windows 7. I went to Start-->All
>> Programs, and can't find OE on the menu. Is there OE in Windows 7? Please
>> help, thanks in advancel.

0
DAS
2/20/2010 9:40:59 PM
Steve Cochran wrote:

> "sheana" <sheana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, I just purchased a computer with Windows 7. I went to Start-->All
>> Programs, and can't find OE on the menu. Is there OE in Windows 7? Please
>> help, thanks in advancel.
>
> Microsoft abandoned the OE users in Win7.

Program updates ceased in 2002.  Security updates continued after that.  The
last program change was for SP-2 for Windows XP (to add 2 registry edits on
where to position the reply insert point and the signature).  The OE team
was disbanded in 2006.  OE came bundled with IE.  You could not and cannot
get OE separately.  IE6 was the last version that came bundled with OE.
IE7, and after, don't come with OE.  OE was dead long before either Vista or
7 were released.  Simply consider what is the base version of IE that came
with the *released* versions of Vista and 7.

As to whether Microsoft abandoned its OE users depends on if you are an
immature user that has no experience using computers over enough time to see
that software comes and goes.  Microsoft *replaced* OE with later free
e-mail clients.  It was the OE users that choose not to advance.  Just
because something continues to work doesn't mean its author is going to
bother supporting an unsupported product.

If you want to use computers, get used to a 3-year cycling in changes.  If
you want to learn something once that never changes, learn bricklaying,
ditch digging, or horse stall maintenance.
0
VanguardLH
2/21/2010 1:40:19 AM
That was a ridiculous post.  OE MVPs worked for over 10 years to get
improvements made and we had to fight MS all the way.  MS abandoned the OE
users.  The OE users were left out in the cold to freeze while MS went off
onto its product stupidification efforts.

steve

> Steve Cochran wrote:
>
>> "sheana" <sheana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi, I just purchased a computer with Windows 7. I went to Start-->All
>>> Programs, and can't find OE on the menu. Is there OE in Windows 7?
>>> Please
>>> help, thanks in advancel.
>>
>> Microsoft abandoned the OE users in Win7.
>
> Program updates ceased in 2002.  Security updates continued after that.
> The
> last program change was for SP-2 for Windows XP (to add 2 registry edits
> on
> where to position the reply insert point and the signature).  The OE team
> was disbanded in 2006.  OE came bundled with IE.  You could not and cannot
> get OE separately.  IE6 was the last version that came bundled with OE.
> IE7, and after, don't come with OE.  OE was dead long before either Vista
> or
> 7 were released.  Simply consider what is the base version of IE that came
> with the *released* versions of Vista and 7.
>
> As to whether Microsoft abandoned its OE users depends on if you are an
> immature user that has no experience using computers over enough time to
> see
> that software comes and goes.  Microsoft *replaced* OE with later free
> e-mail clients.  It was the OE users that choose not to advance.  Just
> because something continues to work doesn't mean its author is going to
> bother supporting an unsupported product.
>
> If you want to use computers, get used to a 3-year cycling in changes.  If
> you want to learn something once that never changes, learn bricklaying,
> ditch digging, or horse stall maintenance.

0
Steve
2/21/2010 1:55:28 PM
Steve Cochran wrote:

> That was a ridiculous post.  OE MVPs worked for over 10 years to get
> improvements made and we had to fight MS all the way.  MS abandoned the OE
> users.  The OE users were left out in the cold to freeze while MS went off
> onto its product stupidification efforts.

And, of course, no software author is allowed to discontinue support for
their product and then move on to a new product.  Uh huh.  Every user of a
product that becomes unsupported wails that they've been abandoned.  I'm
sure if they dumped $25M to Microsoft that a special development team
would've been arranged until the funds ran out, or that same money could've
been used to buy the code and for a startup company that would continue
development on that product - but I doubt anyone saw a future for OE to
waste money on it.
0
VanguardLH
> Steve Cochran wrote:
>
>> That was a ridiculous post.  OE MVPs worked for over 10 years to get
>> improvements made and we had to fight MS all the way.  MS abandoned
>> the OE
>> users.  The OE users were left out in the cold to freeze while MS
>> went off
>> onto its product stupidification efforts.
>
> And, of course, no software author is allowed to discontinue support
> for
> their product and then move on to a new product.

At first, I liked the fact that new operating systems supported the
running of old progams (backward compatibility). I have since seen how
much of a headache it can be from a "secure software" standpoint, and
applaud Microsoft for taking that leap.

As for where they're leaping to - there's something that I don't like
about web based e-mail, but that's just personal bias.

[...]

0
FromTheRafters
2/22/2010 12:07:22 AM
"FromTheRafters" <erratic @nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
>> Steve Cochran wrote:
>>
>>> That was a ridiculous post.  OE MVPs worked for over 10 years to get
>>> improvements made and we had to fight MS all the way.  MS abandoned
>>> the OE
>>> users.  The OE users were left out in the cold to freeze while MS went
>>> off
>>> onto its product stupidification efforts.
>>
>> And, of course, no software author is allowed to discontinue support
>> for
>> their product and then move on to a new product.
>
> At first, I liked the fact that new operating systems supported the
> running of old progams (backward compatibility). I have since seen how
> much of a headache it can be from a "secure software" standpoint, and
> applaud Microsoft for taking that leap.
>
> As for where they're leaping to - there's something that I don't like
> about web based e-mail, but that's just personal bias.
>
> [...]

I'm not really crazy about Windows Live Mail, but it is not a Web based
e-mail client.
--
           Bruce Hagen
         MS-MVP  [Mail]

0
Bruce
2/22/2010 1:06:34 AM
"Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> "FromTheRafters" <erratic @nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
>> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message

>>> And, of course, no software author is allowed to discontinue support
>>> for
>>> their product and then move on to a new product.
>>
>> At first, I liked the fact that new operating systems supported the
>> running of old progams (backward compatibility). I have since seen
>> how much of a headache it can be from a "secure software" standpoint,
>> and applaud Microsoft for taking that leap.
>>
>> As for where they're leaping to - there's something that I don't like
>> about web based e-mail, but that's just personal bias.
>>
>> [...]
>

> I'm not really crazy about Windows Live Mail, but it is not a Web
> based e-mail client.

Thanks for clarifying, Bruce.

From Wikipedia:

"For the web-based e-mail service which was once called "Windows Live
Mail", see Windows Live Hotmail..."

0
FromTheRafters
2/22/2010 4:26:59 AM
+1

Steve Cochran wrote:
> That was a ridiculous post.  OE MVPs worked for over 10 years to get
> improvements made and we had to fight MS all the way.  MS abandoned the OE
> users.  The OE users were left out in the cold to freeze while MS went off
> onto its product stupidification efforts.
>
> steve
>
> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
>> Steve Cochran wrote:
>>
>>> "sheana" <sheana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Microsoft abandoned the OE users in Win7.
>>
>> Program updates ceased in 2002.  Security updates continued after that.
>> The
>> last program change was for SP-2 for Windows XP (to add 2 registry edits
>> on
>> where to position the reply insert point and the signature).  The OE team
>> was disbanded in 2006.  OE came bundled with IE.  You could not and
>> cannot
>> get OE separately.  IE6 was the last version that came bundled with OE.
>> IE7, and after, don't come with OE.  OE was dead long before either Vista
>> or
>> 7 were released.  Simply consider what is the base version of IE that
>> came
>> with the *released* versions of Vista and 7.
>>
>> As to whether Microsoft abandoned its OE users depends on if you are an
>> immature user that has no experience using computers over enough time to
>> see
>> that software comes and goes.  Microsoft *replaced* OE with later free
>> e-mail clients.  It was the OE users that choose not to advance.  Just
>> because something continues to work doesn't mean its author is going to
>> bother supporting an unsupported product.
>>
>> If you want to use computers, get used to a 3-year cycling in changes.
>> If
>> you want to learn something once that never changes, learn bricklaying,
>> ditch digging, or horse stall maintenance.

0
PA
2/22/2010 6:15:29 PM
FromTheRafters wrote:
<snip>
>>> As for where they're leaping to - there's something that I don't like
>>> about web based e-mail, but that's just personal bias.
>>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> I'm not really crazy about Windows Live Mail, but it is not a Web
>> based e-mail client.
>
> Thanks for clarifying, Bruce.
>
> From Wikipedia:
>
> "For the web-based e-mail service which was once called "Windows Live
> Mail", see Windows Live Hotmail..."

FYI: When what are now known as Windows Live Hotmail, Windows Live Mail, and
Windows Mail were still in beta [1], the first was named "Windows Live Mail"
and the second was named "Windows Live Mail Desktop," whence the newsgroup
name microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop.

=========
[1] Of course, Windows Mail never left beta.
--
~PA Bear

0
PA
2/22/2010 6:20:35 PM

> product stupidification

I can just picture block that on their organizational chart. :oD

0
FromTheRafters
2/23/2010 2:13:03 AM
"Steve Cochran" <scochran@oehelp.com> wrote in message

> product stupidification

I can just picture that block on their organizational chart. :oD

0
FromTheRafters

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

How to become Administrator of a usergroup (Windows XP sp 2)
In my office we have 6 computers which are connected by a Hub. I have created a user group call "CECILIYAN". I have connected internet one port of that hub. So any one can access to Internet in that group. Now I want to make my PC as the Administrator of this user group. And I should be able to control other PCs by blocking USB Pen drives & Internet Access & other things. Please let me know how to do it. Is there any third party tool or registry editing or any way to control that things Thank you. On 7/17/2010 9:58 AM, Booli wrote: > In my office we have 6 co...

Outlook freezes up

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07

Outlook & Entourage

Opening Outlook

Move Form to edge of chart window
I am using some vba in excel to display different forms in different sheets. Workbook has one data entry sheet with a dedicated form. This I manage to select as I have info on the screen resolution even if it changes and by selecting a particlar cell I manage to move this form relative to this cell. The problem is that I have 2 other sheets that are both chart windows. For each chart window I have a dedicated form that shows up whenever I switch to that particular sheet. My problem lies witht the positioning of these 2 forms, since that chart windows have no cells to refer ...

SOP Sales Transaction Entry Window
Dear Folks, I have noticed that i couldn't choose/select a salesman Id from Sales Transaction Entry Window (Transactions-> Sales -> Sales Transaction Entry). In my case for every Invoice i have to select a Diffierent Sales man ID. Could any one help me how can i enable this. BUT IT IS AVAILABLE IN Transaction Entry Window which we use without inventory module (Transactions-> Sales -> Transaction Entry Window) Awaiting for your favourable feedback. You can find that field by clicking on the customer number expansion button to the right of the customer number field. Thi...

gridlines in outlook?

can't create rules in outlook

outlook 2002

select name box freezes Outlook

outlook and links in emails

Connect to SQL Express 2008 on local machine
Hi all, I am trying to link an Access Database to a SQLExpress 2008 database on my own machine. I can create a DSN that can see, and link to, the System databases (using Windows Authentication), but it can't see / connect to the database that I have created. Do I have to give myself specific permissions to my new database? Thanks - Ray You're lucky. I can't even get Access to connect to sql server at all. I tried with Access XP and sql server 2008, but Access throws a canary and tells me only sql server 2000 databases or earlier are supported. I also tried using Access ...

Outlook XP and attachments

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003

Outlook 2007

outlook #180
How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for birthdays or other events? Thank you, in advance, to anyone that can answer this question. In the reminders box, enter 1w for one week or 7d. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Harvey asked: | How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for | birthdays or other events? | | Thank you, in advance, to anyo...

Spam Confidence Level (SCL) in Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2003
I have just upgraded our client machines to run Outlook 2007 while connecting to an SBS 2003 R2 server. I can no longer access the SCL values. I have tried a number of suggestions found on the web but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have a working solution for this configuration. Thanks Using the CFG to create the custom field? It seems to work for some and not others. I'm not sure why that is, but after an odd experience with one of the other CFG's I have, I thought of the SCL form and wondered if its something with the folders its installed in. [1] Beyond this...