Two OE6 problems

WinXPSP3, OE6

I have launched OE--which I dislike--in an attempt to help a newsgroup
correspondent who can only post newsgroup messages (via
news.eternal-september.org) on one of his three PCs; if he uses either of
the others he can read messages, but attempts to post just end up in OE's
outbox; no error messages appear. (This isn't what I'm posting about now,
although any suggestions gratefully received.)

I found that I could set up OE to post OK via eternal-september, but
encountered two problems of my own:

1. I had OE set to run an automatic spell-check before sending. But each
time I post OE displays an error dialog which reads "The spell check on this
document was halted. Do you want to send anyway? [Yes] [No]". A
manually-initiated spell check results in an error dialog that reads "An
error occurred while the spelling was being checked. [OK]" The dictionary is
available via Office 97 (which was a *nightmare* to install and patch
successfully, but that's another story). Nothing, BTW, is grayed out under
Tools > Options > Spelling, and that tab does allow me to edit the custom
dictionary.

2. Launching OE also launched Windows Messenger (msmsgs.exe). I went to
Tools > Options > General and unchecked "automatically log on to Windows
Messenger" ... but this has made no difference, even after a reboot;
although this check box has been unchecked, launching OE still launches
Windows Messenger.

TIA, and apologies if these topics have been well-covered in the past ...
nowadays I find Google Groups to be so screwed as to be effectively useless.
--
Regards,   Peter Boulding
pjbnews1@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk (to e-mail, remove "UNSPAM")

Preliminary question: Do such oddities occur on the problem computer when
posting to an MS newsgroup (e.g., this one) via the free MS newsserver
(e.g., news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general),
not eternal-september newsserver?

A1. Does the behavior persist in a new identity?

A2. Disable Messenger in Outlook Express (Line 59, Left)

More: http://kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_messenger.htm;
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_mess_disable.htm; &
http://kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_oe.htm.

> ...if he uses either of
> the others he can read messages, but attempts to post just end up in OE's
> outbox; no error messages appear.

1a. Move any messages that you want to keep out of Sent Items and Deleted
Items folders and into other local OE folders you've created for archiving
(saving) such messages.

1b. Move 99% of your messages in your Inbox folder to other local OE
folders, too.

2a. Write down the location of your identity's store
(http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#storemain).

2b. Enable 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' via Start | Control Panel |
Folder Options | View (cf.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html).

3. Close OE.

4. In Windows Explorer, navigate to your store folder, find & delete the
files Outbox.dbx, Sent Items.dbx, and Deleted Items.dbx.

To avoid such problems in the future, adhere to the following caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline".  More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
is taking place.

- Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application.  It can cause
corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional protection:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Peter Boulding wrote:
> WinXPSP3, OE6
>
> I have launched OE--which I dislike--in an attempt to help a newsgroup
> correspondent who can only post newsgroup messages (via
> news.eternal-september.org) on one of his three PCs; if he uses either of
> the others he can read messages, but attempts to post just end up in OE's
> outbox; no error messages appear. (This isn't what I'm posting about now,
> although any suggestions gratefully received.)
>
> I found that I could set up OE to post OK via eternal-september, but
> encountered two problems of my own:
>
> 1. I had OE set to run an automatic spell-check before sending. But each
> time I post OE displays an error dialog which reads "The spell check on
> this
> document was halted. Do you want to send anyway? [Yes] [No]". A
> manually-initiated spell check results in an error dialog that reads "An
> error occurred while the spelling was being checked. [OK]" The dictionary
> is
> available via Office 97 (which was a *nightmare* to install and patch
> successfully, but that's another story). Nothing, BTW, is grayed out under
> Tools > Options > Spelling, and that tab does allow me to edit the custom
> dictionary.
>
> 2. Launching OE also launched Windows Messenger (msmsgs.exe). I went to
> Tools > Options > General and unchecked "automatically log on to Windows
> Messenger" ... but this has made no difference, even after a reboot;
> although this check box has been unchecked, launching OE still launches
> Windows Messenger.
>
> TIA, and apologies if these topics have been well-covered in the past ...
> nowadays I find Google Groups to be so screwed as to be effectively
> useless.

0
PA
1/31/2010 3:16:37 PM
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 10:16:37 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com>
wrote in <exfCqkooKHA.5224@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>:

>Preliminary question: Do such oddities occur on the problem computer when
>posting to an MS newsgroup (e.g., this one) via the free MS newsserver
>(e.g., news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general),
>not eternal-september newsserver?

Um... are we talking about the OE user's "OE doesn't post" problem here?

>A1. Does the behavior persist in a new identity?

And now we're talking about my spell-check problem? If so, the answer is
yes, it still happens when using a newly-created identity.

>A2. Disable Messenger in Outlook Express (Line 59, Left)
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

>More: http://kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_messenger.htm;
>http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_mess_disable.htm; &
>http://kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_oe.htm.

Ah. That led me to what I needed:
=======================
Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express. Value Name: Hide
Messenger, Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value), Value Data: (2 = remove
messenger). Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called
'Hide Messenger' and set the value to 2.

Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the
change to take effect.
=======================
[OK, so when I download and examine the script referenced in the first of
your links (<http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm>, line 59, LH
column) I find that it does the same thing.]

I take it, then, that the "automatically log on to Windows
Messenger" check box simply doesn't work?

>> ...if he uses either of
>> the others he can read messages, but attempts to post just end up in OE's
>> outbox; no error messages appear.
>
>1a. Move any messages that you want to keep out of Sent Items and Deleted
>Items folders and into other local OE folders you've created for archiving
>(saving) such messages.
>
>1b. Move 99% of your messages in your Inbox folder to other local OE
>folders, too.
>
>2a. Write down the location of your identity's store
>(http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#storemain).
>
>2b. Enable 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' via Start | Control Panel |
>Folder Options | View (cf.
>http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html).
>
>3. Close OE.
>
>4. In Windows Explorer, navigate to your store folder, find & delete the
>files Outbox.dbx, Sent Items.dbx, and Deleted Items.dbx.
>
>To avoid such problems in the future, adhere to the following caveats:
>
>- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to local
>folders created for this purpose.
>
>- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
>
>- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
>offline".  More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm
>
>- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
>close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
>is taking place.
>
>- Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application.  It can cause
>corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional protection:
>
>Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email
>http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm

I'll pass that on...

--
Regards,   Peter Boulding
pjbnews1@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk (to e-mail, remove "UNSPAM")
Fractal Music and Images: http://www.pboulding.co.uk/ and
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=794240&content=music
0
Peter
1/31/2010 9:24:47 PM
For the spell check issue with Office/Word97 on WinXP, this seems to be
the common cause:
Restoring csapi3t1.dll file
How To: Fix spell checking in Outlook Express 6
http://www.tech-pro.co.uk/howto_010.html
Spell check not working in XP Outlook Express
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/spellcheck.htm

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

"Peter Boulding" <pjbnews1@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk> wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>>To avoid such problems in the future, adhere to the following caveats:
>>
>>- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to
>>local
>>folders created for this purpose.
>>
>>- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
>>
>>- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
>>offline".  More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm
>>
>>- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not
>>attempt to
>>close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic
>>Compacting
>>is taking place.
>>
>>- Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application.  It can cause
>>corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional
>>protection:
>>
>>Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email

Michael
1/31/2010 10:31:01 PM
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 14:31:01 -0800, "Michael Santovec"
<michael@santovec.XXX> wrote in <OTQKVUsoKHA.5508@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>:

>For the spell check issue with Office/Word97 on WinXP, this seems to be
>the common cause:
>Restoring csapi3t1.dll file
>How To: Fix spell checking in Outlook Express 6
>http://www.tech-pro.co.uk/howto_010.html
>Spell check not working in XP Outlook Express
>http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/spellcheck.htm

Yep--that was it!

I just copied a version of csapi3t1.dll dated 2001 from an old Win98 system
backup to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof on the PC
running XPSP3 and the spell-check started working.

In view of the *amazing* difficulties I had already experienced installing
the patches (the ones that are essential for both security and the worst of
the Word numbering engine bugs), one has to conclude that Microsoft *really*
didn't want Office 97 to work under XP...

Many thanks to you and to PA Bear for getting these problems sorted.

--
Regards,   Peter Boulding
pjbnews1@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk (to e-mail, remove "UNSPAM")
Fractal Music and Images: http://www.pboulding.co.uk/ and
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=794240&content=music
0
Peter
2/1/2010 6:54:33 PM
You are welcome and thanks for posting back.

It's not so much that Microsoft didn't want Word97 to work with Windows
XP, it's just that they expect people to upgrade to newer versions as
they come out and Microsoft has little incentive to make sure that older
versions work with newer ones.

--

> On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 14:31:01 -0800, "Michael Santovec"
> <michael@santovec.XXX> wrote in
> <OTQKVUsoKHA.5508@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>:
>
>>For the spell check issue with Office/Word97 on WinXP, this seems to
>>be
>>the common cause:
>>Restoring csapi3t1.dll file
>>How To: Fix spell checking in Outlook Express 6
>>http://www.tech-pro.co.uk/howto_010.html
>>Spell check not working in XP Outlook Express
>>http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/spellcheck.htm
>
> Yep--that was it!
>
> I just copied a version of csapi3t1.dll dated 2001 from an old Win98
> system
> backup to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof on the
> PC
> running XPSP3 and the spell-check started working.
>
> In view of the *amazing* difficulties I had already experienced
> installing
> the patches (the ones that are essential for both security and the
> worst of
> the Word numbering engine bugs), one has to conclude that Microsoft
> *really*
> didn't want Office 97 to work under XP...
>
> Many thanks to you and to PA Bear for getting these problems sorted.
>
> --
> Regards,   Peter Boulding
> pjbnews1@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk (to e-mail, remove "UNSPAM")
> Fractal Music and Images: http://www.pboulding.co.uk/ and
> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=794240&content=music

0
Michael
2/1/2010 9:55:59 PM
On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 13:55:59 -0800, "Michael Santovec" <michael@santovec.XXX>
wrote in <uTCnbl4oKHA.1544@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>:

>You are welcome and thanks for posting back.
>
>It's not so much that Microsoft didn't want Word97 to work with Windows
>XP, it's just that they expect people to upgrade to newer versions as
>they come out and Microsoft has little incentive to make sure that older
>versions work with newer ones.

I'm not sure there's much of a difference between our assertions, given the
profitability of such upgrades.

If you ignore troubles such as those mentioned in this thread, why upgrade
(or, in the case of Word 2007, downgrade)? Apart from nested tables--which
isn't exactly a must-have feature--I'm aware of nothing in newer versions to
tempt me.

--
Regards,   Peter Boulding
pjbnews1@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk (to e-mail, remove "UNSPAM")
Fractal Music and Images: http://www.pboulding.co.uk/ and
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=794240&content=music
0
Peter
2/1/2010 11:21:55 PM
On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 23:21:55 +0000, Peter Boulding wrote:

> I'm not sure there's much of a difference between our assertions, given the
> profitability of such upgrades.

The difference may be subtle, but there is no profit in retrofitting older
applications to run under newer OSes, when the application, itself, is
actively under continuous development. A company which is beholden to
investors has to maintain the attractiveness of the investment. Or go belly
up.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
wrote in <58g72z8mj3kr.dlg@msnews.aosake.net>:

>> I'm not sure there's much of a difference between our assertions, given the
>> profitability of such upgrades.
>
>The difference may be subtle, but there is no profit in retrofitting older
>applications to run under newer OSes, when the application, itself, is
>actively under continuous development. A company which is beholden to
>investors has to maintain the attractiveness of the investment. Or go belly
>up.

True, but if they target virtually all of their development effort at
enhancements that are of interest only to corporates, they can hardly
complain if home users switch to alternatives--such as, in this case, Open
Office--which don't suffer from such an approach.

--
Regards,   Peter Boulding
pjbnews1@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk (to e-mail, remove "UNSPAM")
Fractal Music and Images: http://www.pboulding.co.uk/ and
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=794240&content=music
0
Peter
2/2/2010 9:23:06 PM
Peter Boulding wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 08:36:31 -0800, "N. Miller" <anonymous@msnews.aosake.net>
> wrote in <58g72z8mj3kr.dlg@msnews.aosake.net>:
>
>>> I'm not sure there's much of a difference between our assertions, given the
>>> profitability of such upgrades.
>> The difference may be subtle, but there is no profit in retrofitting older
>> applications to run under newer OSes, when the application, itself, is
>> actively under continuous development. A company which is beholden to
>> investors has to maintain the attractiveness of the investment. Or go belly
>> up.
>
> True, but if they target virtually all of their development effort at
> enhancements that are of interest only to corporates, they can hardly
> complain if home users switch to alternatives--such as, in this case, Open
> Office--which don't suffer from such an approach.

I still fail to see why they dropped a program used by thousand and
thousands on a daily basis. I gave wl-mail a fare shot, I don't like it.
0
Eric
2/2/2010 9:29:47 PM
Eric Allen wrote:
>>> The difference may be subtle, but there is no profit in retrofitting
>>> older
>>> applications to run under newer OSes, when the application, itself, is
>>> actively under continuous development. A company which is beholden to
>>> investors has to maintain the attractiveness of the investment. Or go
>>> belly up.
>>
>> True, but if they target virtually all of their development effort at
>> enhancements that are of interest only to corporates, they can hardly
>> complain if home users switch to alternatives--such as, in this case,
>> Open
>> Office--which don't suffer from such an approach.
>>
> I still fail to see why they dropped a program used by thousand and
> thousands on a daily basis.

For the same reason all Windows Mail development was stopped by executive
fiat while Vista was still in beta in favor of developing the
perpetually-in-beta Wal-Mail.

0
PA
2/3/2010 2:22:08 AM
Because those at MS have their own idea of what the user wants and refuse to
listen to any ideas otherwise.

steve

"Eric Allen" <eric-allen@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
> Peter Boulding wrote:
>> On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 08:36:31 -0800, "N. Miller"
>> <anonymous@msnews.aosake.net>

>>> The difference may be subtle, but there is no profit in retrofitting
>>> older
>>> applications to run under newer OSes, when the application, itself, is
>>> actively under continuous development. A company which is beholden to
>>> investors has to maintain the attractiveness of the investment. Or go
>>> belly
>>> up.
>>
>> True, but if they target virtually all of their development effort at
>> enhancements that are of interest only to corporates, they can hardly
>> complain if home users switch to alternatives--such as, in this case,
>> Open
>> Office--which don't suffer from such an approach.
> I still fail to see why they dropped a program used by thousand and
> thousands on a daily basis. I gave wl-mail a fare shot, I don't like it.

0
Steve
2/3/2010 1:04:34 PM
On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 21:23:06 +0000, Peter Boulding wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 08:36:31 -0800, "N. Miller" <anonymous@msnews.aosake.net>
> wrote in <58g72z8mj3kr.dlg@msnews.aosake.net>:

>>> I'm not sure there's much of a difference between our assertions, given the
>>> profitability of such upgrades.

>>The difference may be subtle, but there is no profit in retrofitting older
>>applications to run under newer OSes, when the application, itself, is
>>actively under continuous development. A company which is beholden to
>>investors has to maintain the attractiveness of the investment. Or go belly
>>up.

> True, but if they target virtually all of their development effort at
> enhancements that are of interest only to corporates, they can hardly
> complain if home users switch to alternatives--such as, in this case, Open
> Office--which don't suffer from such an approach.

I never "switched" to Open Office. I could never afford MS Office anyway;
I've used Open Office from the get-go. I don't think MS cares about end
users, such as I, who can't afford to keep up with their developments.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Directory Problem When Opening Files
Had this problem with my PC at work last week and the solution chosen by my company's Help Desk people was to uninstall and then reinstall the whole Microsoft Office package of programs. And while that fixed my problem, I've got to believe that there is just one single file that needs to be deleted or somehow reinitialized. The problem was fixed last week with the uninstall and reinstall, but popped up again this afternoon. Hope one of you can help me with this. Here's the problem ... When I try to open an Excel spreadsheet or attach a file to an Outlook message, the wi...

crosstab query problem
I use MSO2K. When i create a new crosstab query using the wizard, none of the fields are getting listed in the tables. Similar problem I find with Unmatched query wizard also. I have used both these wizards in the past on the same system. Unable to recall anything which has been done on the system which could have caused this problem. I have to do a Detect and Repair operation. Problem still persists. Any inputs on what could the problem be? Thanks Ramesh Ive seen this happen before as well, certain fields just refuse to show up in the wizards (seemingly always the one...

Problem with frame formatting
I have a resume template that contains a frame on the first page. When trying to apply a style to the text within the frame, the text within the frame loses its positioning, i.e. it can end up anywhere on the page, or the whole text within the frame ends up jumbled. (The style I'm trying to apply does have the frame defined). The frame is defined with a left side vertical border. By recreating the template from scratch, I thought I had gotten rid of the problem, but if I copy and paste that frame into another document, the problem reappears. I don't know if this all...

synchiing two computers?

Rounding Problem
I have got a very simple accounting spreadsheet where column C is determined by (A+B)*1.06. Cell C is formatted for dollars - two decimal places. At the bottom of column C is a total which is usually correct but sometimes it is out by one cent. All the calculations across are correct. I am sure there is an easy way to fix this isn't there? Thanks. Al Check this link of John McGimpsey: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/pennyoff.html -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may...

Real problems with DCount
I need to count the number of values in a column that have been recorded with the Yes/No tick box on the main form of my database So far, I have tried =DCount("*","[Table1]","[sleep risk]='true'") =DCount("*","[Table1]","[sleep risk]='yes'") and a few others that don't work either. Secondly, I also have to count a number of dates entered in a column [date fsmp sent] to give me the total number of date entries in that column that were witihn the last 90 days from Date(). I don't know if Date() or Now() is ...

Email Tracking Problem
Hi Guys, I'm running Outlook 2003 with the CRM plugin but running into issues when clicking on 'Track in CRM'. I have two mailboxes in Outlook, my own and a support mailbox. I login to Windows as myself. Is it possible for me to track emails in the support mailbox? If so, How? As I'm receiving this: "Only items in the default Microsoft Outlook store can be promoted to Microsoft CRM" Thanks, Martin I have this problem too! Does anyone know of a workaround, or heard of this before??? Thanks! -Brandon "Martin" wrote: > Hi Guys, > > I...

ProperCase problem
Hi there Excelers I have a problem that I am unable to fix, is there someone that can help me. Just learning VBA and have some trouble with the following Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Application.EnableEvents = False If Not Application.Intersect(Target, Range("A1:A10")) Is Nothing Then Target(1).Value = vbProperCase(Target(1).Value) End If Application.EnableEvents = True End Sub The vbproperCase gets highlighted and a message, Compile Error, Expected Array Also should this be put in sheet1, or this workbook. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated Than...

problem about installation
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I bought a office:mac 2008 home&student edition, which can not be successfully installed. I have already type in the product key and verified my username and password, then it showed that no installation document can be found. what should I do about this? "mat@officeformac.com" wrote: > I bought a office:mac 2008 home&student edition, which can not be successfully > installed. I have already type in the product key and verified my username and > password, then it showed that no installation document can be fo...

COUNTIF (?) on two criteria

Two IF Statements with two answers
In cell J9 I need a formula that would do the following: If G9="Yes" then F9, If G9="No" then -f9 Note: G9 has a drop down list with Yes, No answers. If there are no other alternatives that yes and no =IF(G9="Yes",F9,-F9) otherwise =IF(G9="Yes",F9,IF(G9="No",-F9,"") Regards, Peo Sjoblom "heater" wrote: > In cell J9 I need a formula that would do the following: > > If G9="Yes" then F9, If G9="No" then -f9 > > Note: G9 has a drop down list with Yes, No answers. > =IF(G9=&qu...

Excel Advancedfilter problem
Ive got some data item blah MinSize Maxsize blah blah 1 26 32 2 18 24 3 20 26 4 28 33 350 28 30 I want to extract those results where eg 30 is between the minimum & maximum eg MinSize>29 or the MaxSize<31 if I put the on separate lines i get in an advanced filter i get eg item 2 and 3 because the maxsize is <30 If i put the two statements on the same line it does and AND for each record and i get nothing. One ...

Problems with a border of a list control
I'm having trouble creating a CListCtrl on the heap (i.e. new + Create()) whose border would look like a border of a control that is embedded directly into a dialog box. To be more specific, when a list control is dropped onto a dialog box in a dialog editor, its border is black but when the dialog is displayed - either by 'Test Dialog' or running the app - the border gets 'softened' (e.g. 3d on W2K and light blue on XP). My problem is that a dynamically created list control is always displayed with a black ugly border (i.e. as seen in the a dialog editor). It l...

Outlook Locks/Login Problem
I'm not sure this is an Outlook problem or not. If I have DNS enabled, Outlook loads but locks immediately with the mouse pointer behind the Outlook window. If I have DNS Disabled, Outlook tries to load, but can't access the email server and keeps asking for a userid, password, and Domain name. Shut Down/Restart brings an End Task window that doesn't have anything for a Program name. Pressing End Now closes the window but returns to the desktop. The only way out is to power off. Thanks! ...

Problem Balancing Accounts Money 2002
The accounts never balances automatically when I import my bank information. Unfortunately there is no direct connection between money and my bank so I must import information. However, it never reconciles itself! The balance is always something that the actual balance is not, then when I manually reconcile it there are large discrepancies which simply sit there as nameless adjustments. So how does this work? Lets say I have my account from Jan. 1 - April 14th. When downloading the new transactions, do I download from April 14th, or April 15th? Some transactions from April 14t...

Problem with ShellExecuteEx
I'm trying to use ShellExecuteEx to display file properties for a file, but I'm getting an error saying it can't find the file. The error is very strange. It says "Windows cannot find 'xxxxx'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." But where I have "xxxxx" here there are what appear to be Chinese characters; there are also Chinese characters in the title bar of the error. I have verified that the file really does exist. Can anyone shed any light on this? Here's the code: Public Const SW_SHOW As Short = 5 Public C...

Address book access problem
I have migrated my old vista laptop to my new Windows 7 laptop and can not get contacts to show up in the address area. Need help. -- Pecan Sorry, but this newsgroup is for questions about Access, the database product that's part of Office Professional. You'd be best off reposting to a newsgroup related to whatever e-mail client you're using, or one related to Windows. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "pecan@bigpond.com" <pecanbigpondcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

mail merge problem in publisher
I recently had to reload Office Small Business 2007 onto my computer and now my publisher document won't merge with my excel spreadsheet. When merging the spreadsheet with over 100 address I only get one page and one address. Previously I got one page for each address. I'm sure it's a setting but which one? Are you doing labels? Do you intend to have multiple names and addresses per page? Your problem isn't too clear. If you are doing labels or similar: After you input your fields go to File, Print Merge, be certain "Multiple pages per sheet" is selected. T...

WinCrypt problem
Hi! I'm trying to encrypt a password in my application. I use WinCrypt, but it doesn't work on any computer except mine. I used it on pc with Windows Xp and also mine OS is Windows XP. When I include WinCrypt, I write this code: //---------CODE #define _CRYPT32_ #define _WIN32_WINNT 0x0500 #include <wincrypt.h> //-----------END CODE On my computer is installated Net Framework, but not on the others I tried. Any ideas? Thanks Giulio "Mails" <mitticoo@tiscali.it> wrote in message news:1144702304.240372.176110@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi! > I&...

Two axis
Positioning the Vertical axes: I have a chart where there are two axes. The first implementation produced the two scales on the right side, one inside, the other outside the chart area. Unusual, but luckily it fits well the chart. I tried to duplicate the feat with another dataset (similar in structure) and did not even get the second scale to show right, left or center (data plotted with two different scales allright). Where is the info to control these functionalities? Tx, Pierre On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:48:13 +0100, pl.carry <pl.carry@wanadoo.fr> wrote= : > Positioning the Vertic...

ToolBar problem
I am creating a tool bar in a dialog box. I have the tool bar created, no problem. No I have 2 blank buttons in front of the toolbar for a font name cb and a font size cb. The problem is when I create them they sit on top of the first couple of buttons on the toolbar. I need to push the the toolbar over when I put the combo boxes on it. how do I do that? Did you follow example DLGCBR32 in MSDN to put a CToolBar in a dialog? It shows how to adjust the area to accomodate the toolbar etc. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "William Gower" <w_gower@hotmail.com&...

plot two groups of numbers on one series of xy coordinates.
how to create a plot from separate x and y values. i.e. y values do not correspond to the same set of x values. example x1= 5, y1=10; x2= 8, y2=15 I can read your question 2 ways; A) you data looks like this x y 5 10 8 15 etc. Select the data and make an XY chart B) you have two sets of data x1 y1 5 10 10 12 17 15 21 20 and x2 y2 3 8 7 14 12 19 18 24 Make an XY chart of the first data series Select all the data (including headers) for second set, and use Copy Click the chart to activate it Use Edit | Paste Special .... indicate New Ser...

Switchboard Problem
I want to have one form that I can call from a switchboard and filter for several people using a macro. I’m using Access 2007 and my setup is as follows: SWITCHBOARD: This is a manually designed switchboard where I’ve put a tab control with 2 tabs titled “Input Forms” and “Reports”. On the “Input Forms” tab I have placed a combo box named “cboExpItems”. This is a drop-down box which displays employee names from a table. I want to select a name and using an “AfterUpdate” event I want to run the following macro which will refer back to “cboExpItems” for the name of the employee to fi...