Lost OE Messages

On XP Pro SP3, IE 7, OE 6

I am in transition mode for microsoft.public. Newsgroups.

Had the Microsoft server and the Freenews Netfront server accounts.

As some of my Microsoft server newsgroup were closed as of today I
deleted my Microsoft server account.

In my OE Message Store C:\Documents and Settings\x\Local
Settings\Application
Data\Identities\{AF183F5C-720B-4C22-B5B2-35F2D38D2B3B}\Microsoft\Outlook
Express
I now have some double entries in Folders such as Email.dbx 1683KB and
Email (1).dbx 139 KB

The Folder Email shows up but is empty. How do I find the messages?

gram

gram
7/2/2010 5:22:04 AM
outlookexpress.general 525 articles. 0 followers. Follow

> As some of my Microsoft server newsgroup were closed as of today...

Actually, they're not closing for another 50 minutes or so...and OE
General's gonna be one of them.

Removing the account msnews.microsoft.com from the News tab has nothing to
do with that DBX file.

Why it happens:

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/bugs.htm#mailgone
   http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

Recovering the missing data: http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx (#2 and #4)
and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918069 (see Notes section under
Resolution section; Please note that you do NOT need to install KB923694 or
KB918766 if your computer is fully-patched at Windows Update!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DBXpress (faster, more powerful, with even greater functionality than
DBXtract)
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Avoiding Such Corruption in Future:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline".  More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
is taking place.

- Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application.  It can cause
corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional protection:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

gram pappy wrote:
> On XP Pro SP3, IE 7, OE 6
>
> I am in transition mode for microsoft.public. Newsgroups.
>
> Had the Microsoft server and the Freenews Netfront server accounts.
>
> As some of my Microsoft server newsgroup were closed as of today I
> deleted my Microsoft server account.
>
> In my OE Message Store C:\Documents and Settings\x\Local
> Settings\Application
> Data\Identities\{AF183F5C-720B-4C22-B5B2-35F2D38D2B3B}\Microsoft\Outlook
> Express
> I now have some double entries in Folders such as Email.dbx 1683KB and
> Email (1).dbx 139 KB
>
> The Folder Email shows up but is empty. How do I find the messages?
>
> gram
>

> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net ---

0
PA
7/2/2010 6:12:37 AM
50 minutes starting when? :o)

....and is this offer available in sectors "R" and "N"?

>> As some of my Microsoft server newsgroup were closed as of today...
>
> Actually, they're not closing for another 50 minutes or so...and OE
> General's gonna be one of them.
>
> Removing the account msnews.microsoft.com from the News tab has
> nothing to do with that DBX file.
>
> Why it happens:
>
> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/bugs.htm#mailgone
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx
>
> Recovering the missing data: http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx (#2 and
> #4) and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918069 (see Notes section
> under Resolution section; Please note that you do NOT need to install
> KB923694 or KB918766 if your computer is fully-patched at Windows
> Update!)
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> DBXpress (faster, more powerful, with even greater functionality than
> DBXtract)
> http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Avoiding Such Corruption in Future:
>
> - Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to
> local folders created for this purpose.
>
> - Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
>
> - Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
> offline".  More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm
>
> - Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not
> attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
> Automatic Compacting is taking place.
>
> - Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application.  It can cause
> corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional
> protection:
>
>    Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email
>    http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm
>
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> gram pappy wrote:
>> On XP Pro SP3, IE 7, OE 6
>>
>> I am in transition mode for microsoft.public. Newsgroups.
>>
>> Had the Microsoft server and the Freenews Netfront server accounts.
>>
>> As some of my Microsoft server newsgroup were closed as of today I
>> deleted my Microsoft server account.
>>
>> In my OE Message Store C:\Documents and Settings\x\Local
>> Settings\Application
>> Data\Identities\{AF183F5C-720B-4C22-B5B2-35F2D38D2B3B}\Microsoft\Outlook
>> Express
>> I now have some double entries in Folders such as Email.dbx 1683KB
>> and
>> Email (1).dbx 139 KB
>>
>> The Folder Email shows up but is empty. How do I find the messages?
>>
>> gram
>>

>> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net ---

0
FromTheRafters
7/2/2010 10:53:40 AM
The dbx file likely got corrupted and OE couldn't read it so it created =
a new one with the (1) appended to its name.

You can try manually importing the file (see =
www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#imp1), but since its corrupt, it may not =
work.  In that case you would need DBXpress (www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/) =
to get the messages out of it, if they are still there.

Backup your important messages frequently.

steve

"gram pappy" <nospam@example.invalid> wrote in message =
> On XP Pro SP3, IE 7, OE 6
>=20
> I am in transition mode for microsoft.public. Newsgroups.
>=20
> Had the Microsoft server and the Freenews Netfront server accounts.
>=20
> As some of my Microsoft server newsgroup were closed as of today I=20
> deleted my Microsoft server account.
>=20
> In my OE Message Store C:\Documents and Settings\x\Local=20
> Settings\Application=20
> =
Data\Identities\{AF183F5C-720B-4C22-B5B2-35F2D38D2B3B}\Microsoft\Outlook =

> Express
> I now have some double entries in Folders such as Email.dbx 1683KB and =

> Email (1).dbx 139 KB
>=20
> The Folder Email shows up but is empty. How do I find the messages?
>=20
> gram=20
>=20
>=20
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net ---
0
Steve
7/2/2010 11:57:14 AM
They can't even close a newsgroup right these days!

FromTheRafters wrote:
> 50 minutes starting when? :o)
>
> ...and is this offer available in sectors "R" and "N"?

>>> As some of my Microsoft server newsgroup were closed as of today...
>>
>> Actually, they're not closing for another 50 minutes or so...and OE
>> General's gonna be one of them.
>>
>> Removing the account msnews.microsoft.com from the News tab has
>> nothing to do with that DBX file.
>>
>> Why it happens:
>>
>> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/bugs.htm#mailgone
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx
>>
>> Recovering the missing data: http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx (#2 and
>> #4) and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918069 (see Notes section
>> under Resolution section; Please note that you do NOT need to install
>> KB923694 or KB918766 if your computer is fully-patched at Windows
>> Update!)
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> DBXpress (faster, more powerful, with even greater functionality than
>> DBXtract)
>> http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Avoiding Such Corruption in Future:
>>
>> - Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to
>> local folders created for this purpose.
>>
>> - Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
>>
>> - Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
>> offline".  More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm
>>
>> - Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not
>> attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
>> Automatic Compacting is taking place.
>>
>> - Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application.  It can cause
>> corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional
>> protection:
>>
>>    Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email
>>    http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm
>>
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> gram pappy wrote:
>>> On XP Pro SP3, IE 7, OE 6
>>>
>>> I am in transition mode for microsoft.public. Newsgroups.
>>>
>>> Had the Microsoft server and the Freenews Netfront server accounts.
>>>
>>> As some of my Microsoft server newsgroup were closed as of today I
>>> deleted my Microsoft server account.
>>>
>>> In my OE Message Store C:\Documents and Settings\x\Local
>>> Settings\Application
>>> Data\Identities\{AF183F5C-720B-4C22-B5B2-35F2D38D2B3B}\Microsoft\Outlook
>>> Express
>>> I now have some double entries in Folders such as Email.dbx 1683KB
>>> and
>>> Email (1).dbx 139 KB
>>>
>>> The Folder Email shows up but is empty. How do I find the messages?
>>>
>>> gram
>>>

>>> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net ---

0
PA

Lost Formatting When tab is copied
My problem would seem to be very basic. I have a table that has values with dollars in columns and then a rate (i.e. one cell less another and then divide) in percentage format. When I copy an existing tab either into the same workbook or into a new workbook, many of my percent formats change to dollar format. This happens no matter what page I copy and it happens on pages that I am not even touching or copying. Often times these cells that lose their formatting are next to cells that are in dollar format that are pulling their data from pivot table. Could this have anything to do with it? ...

Exchange 5.5 Message Queue Email Origination?
I think I had somebody open up a virus thru my vpn connection from home and I had 1200 emails in my outgoing message queue with stupid domain names. Opening the details doesn't tell much, is there a way to find out where those came from? IP address of sender or something? Thanks ...

Error Message #52
Error message #1308---How correct??? Outlook installed as part of Office 2003. Using windows XP Pro. Thanks Jim T ...

What was lost is found
Some of you may recall my frantic thrashing around here when I reinstalled my OS (Win XP) and had to reinstall Publisher 98 but could not find the installation disk. With a tweak here and a cludge there I was able to reinstall from the Publisher directory on the drive. (Don't ever install to the Windows/Program Files directory. Give each application its own root directory.) But the reinstall, though good enough to retrieve all my *.pub files and create new ones, lacks a few features, like hyphenation, spellcheck, etc. But today, what was lost is found. The installation disk turned ...

Message Filtering
what is the maximum amount of domains you can enter in the message filtering window? It depends, I dont think it is per domain, it is a storage limit, so if they are long domain names you will have fewer, its around 800 - 1000 -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Jesse" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7fa601c431e4$09d19090$a401280a@phx.gbl... > what is the maximum amount of domains you can enter in > the message filtering window? ...

Outlook 2003
I used to use Outlook Express and was able to modify an email message's HTML source code. I can't seem to find a way to do that using Outlook. Does anyone know how that can be done? Am I missing a setting somewhere? Thank you, Tracy Outlook doesn't have a source editor. You can edit it in another html editor and paste into OL. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstic...

2005 Deluxe
Upgraded from 2003. Seems like I've lost functionality. Can't find how to separate catagory entry between category and subcategory (all one entry now). Also can't find the MoneySide FollowUP Notes that I used to have on the home page. Am I not looking in the right place? Thanks. MoneySide has been gone since M04. You are, IIRC, the second person to post here having noticed. As to dual cat lists: see http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=161. BTW, you are supposed to prefer single list. "Elliot" <Elliot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9082426-5...

Strange pop-up message
The first message that pops up when I open my outlook is. Error in registery for extension "Exchange Extentions;?" The syntax or format of the registery entry is incorrect. Check the registery settings and compare the registery for this extention to the other extentions in the registery. Hi everyone I have exch2003 and xp pro.the above message keeps popping up if one of the network users go into outlook.He then has to click OK about 5 times and then it dissappears and then he can continue working. Anyone got this before and can help me why not reinstall outlook? &q...

missing email messages
I get my incoming emails, open them to read them, and they disappear when I close them. Where are they going? What is set wrong to cause this? Do you have any view set on your in-box, such as unread messages? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding not answer: ls <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked: | I get my incoming emails, open them to read them, and | they disappear when I close them. Where are they going? | What is set wrong to cause this...

Error creating new message. May be due to incorrect email address.
Contact data imported into Contact of Outlook 2002 in *.csv format. Error goes away after the email Display As: information is deleted. Thanks, Jim ...

lost save file
I had a hard drive crash....was able to retrive everything from outlook express except my "SAVE FOLDERS"....I'm sure they are there...any ideas where I should look or what I need to do???? I really need the folders. Thanks Search for .eml files . . . . . "Tink" <Tink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:468CD94A-33D3-45C1-8F1E-1DD5ADC164F2@microsoft.com... > I had a hard drive crash....was able to retrive everything from outlook > express except my "SAVE FOLDERS"....I'm sure they are there...any ideas > where...

5.5 message queue
I am running a 5.5 server and I have tested for relay to make sure that I am not an open relay. The problem I am having though is that when I look in my Internet mail Service message queue under "outbound messages awaiting delivery" I have messages in there where the Originator is "<>" and it is getting to be around 500 messages a day. What is this? How can I avoid this in the future? Any help greatly appreciated. -- Cheers! If <> is the originating email address of the outbound emails then they are Non Delivery Reports Exchange Server accepts alia...

Lost Outlook email
----------------------------------------------------------------------- A poll associated with this post was created, to vote and see th results, please visit http://www.outlookforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5370 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Question: Am I hosed - YE - PROBABL - MAYB - N ----------------------------------------------------------------------- I downloaded my email from the server, got a message that some of th rest of my mail couldn't be retrieved, closed outlook, re-opened it and the messages I had already retrieved ...

Server rejecting listserv messages
I have an SBS 2000 server running Exchange 2000. Most everything is working fine except for the fact that the server is rejecting messages from listservs. The log show a 550.5.7.1 message. All other messages are coming in without a problem. I have been looking at this thing for so long, I can't see what is wrong. Any thoughts? Are the listservs yours? The 5.7.1 is a unable to relay. If you want the Exchange server to relay mail for the listservs then you can specify the ip addresses of the listservres on the SMTP Default Virtual Server to allow them to relay. HTH -- David Dee davi...

Lost security on modified reports
It appears that access has been lost to modified reports. I checked security and access to the appropriate modified reports is selected, but I can not access them, nor can other users. We work in a Citrix environment and all users access the forms and reports from the server, not local workstations. I have unmarked and marked access and logged out and back in, but with no luck. Any suggestions? Have you tried using Advanced Security's Verify Security feature to check that all the security records are correct, valid and undamaged? It is worth a try. PS: You can also use Advan...

Outlook 2003 comes up, then crashes, no error message
I have been using Outlook 2003 for a few years. Now when I start Outlook 2003 the splash window comes up, then the application window comes up. After about the normal time for initialization, the application window closes and the application appears to have abended. On subsequent attempt to start Outlook 2003 get the same result except get "file not closed properly" message. Have tried running scanpst.exe, uninstalling and reinstalling all of MS Office 2003, but no difference. Have also tried copying the outlook.pst data file to another computer with Outlook 2003, and no proble...

lost portfolio dat
i logged onto msn money to check a portfolio and its gone. i saved the data previously, how do i recover it? In microsoft.public.money, mark wrote: >i logged onto msn money to check a portfolio and its >gone. i saved the data previously, how do i recover it? You saved it as *.inv or "my portfolio Backup.mbf"? The group for MSN Money is microsoft.public.moneycentral. ...

Extract Data Validation Input Messages and Titles
I have an Excel spreadsheet with approximately 40 different data validation input messages and titles. The spreadsheet isn't mine, but I need to get the input messages and titles out of it to put into another spreadsheet. I know that I can cut and paste each one, but this is painful, given that it is going to change, possibly often. Can someone point at how to automate extracting the validation input messages and titles. Thanks. The following code will insert a new sheet, and list the data validation messages there: '================================ Sub GetDVNotes() Dim ...

NO Text on any messages
I am using the new outlook 2007 beta and i have no text in any of my received messages, and i have no text in any of my folders that i have under my accounts, all of the text has suddenly vanished, i only have headers, please help Aloha rclarke6, You're probably using AVG. Go into AVG configuration and turn off verify e-mail (or something like that). You can look back through this group if you need more specific instructions, it's been posted before several times. -Ben- Ben M. Schorr - MVP http://www.rolandschorr.com Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/onenotefaq....

lost folders
A friend whose computer runs WinXP fully updated just lost her Outlook Express Inbox, Drafts, and Sent Items folders. She says it happened after this week's Automatic Update. She found the Inbox and Drafts in her Recycle Bin, but her Sent Items folder seems to have disappeared. She hadn't overloaded any of the folders. There were 38 messages in Sent Items. I had her check her Store folder just to make sure, and there is no Sent Items folder there. Prior to the update, and now as well, she has been getting a large number of messages wanting to compact her OE folders. Th...

Outlook
I am trying to block as much spam (vulgar) e-mail as possible using (I thought) Outlook Express > Create a message rule". I highlight when subject or body has word (ex. teen or viagra) and highlight action: delete and forward to my abuse center. It is not working. What am I doing wrong? I am not a novice...and have tried several approaches. Any assistance/suggestions out there for me. By the way, when I added my cable suggested virus scan EZARMOR I took my Spamware off my system. Perry Chamblee <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am trying to block as...

Can I import existing messages from WLM to Outlook?
I would like to use Microsoft Outlook to manage my emails on an existing account. I have over two years of emails on my Windows Microsoft Live account and want to import them into Outlook, so that I have them stored on my PC. I can't find any help online to tell me how to do this, as there isn't a File --> Export --> Messages in my Office Live account. Christine Yes, there actually is. If the menu bar is not visible to you in WLM, press the ALT button on your keyboard. For export instructions see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/migratefromoewlm.htm -- Ro...

Send a Message To New User
Hi I have created some new users and want to know how to send them a welcome message OR how to logon as each of these users individually. I am using a single Machine for development purposed, not connected to the outside OS : Windows 2003 Server Exchange 2003 Server Barry On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 07:28:49 -0700, "Barry" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote: >Hi > > I have created some new users and want to know how to send them a >welcome message OR how to logon as each of these users individually. > You could script som...

lost authenticity number
I cannot find my authenticity number for my disk. Is there any way to get the number off of my computer? If you mean your Product Key, you can call Micorosft for it. I'm assuming you have to reload Publisher? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Amy Gentzyel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1ecd01c48d27$cfcdaba0$a601280a@phx.gbl... >I cannot find my authenticity number for my disk. Is > there any way to get the number off of my computer? --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://w...

OE dbx files
I'm back. No new problems. I bought my netbook with XP and OE and have copied my dbx files to it. Now, I'm still looking for something that will open them when I no longer have OE (like WIN7, for example). And Twayne, remember that you're done with me. Please don't demonstrate your superiority on these subjects again, at least not for my posts. Remember - you're done with me. I keep wondering why someone doesn't offer a software program that will allow us to continue using OE. I'm still open for advice (except from Twayne). When you no l...