Compacting question

I have WinXP, OE6.   My computer man made a file folder by size of my OE 
personal folders, so I would know which ones most badly need compacting 
(before I do an external backup).  I prefer to compact folders individually, 
rather than "compact all'.   Here is my question:  The 4 or 5 largest ones, 
in addition to showing "folder name.dbx" also have a "folder name.bak". 
When it gets almost to the end of the compacting, I get this message:  "The 
folder is currently in use by Outlook Express or by another application" and 
it quits the compacting.   Will appreciate any help with this, thanks. 


0
Joy
12/9/2009 5:59:30 PM
outlookexpress.general 525 articles. 0 followers. Follow

15 Replies
790 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 55

BAK files are copies automatically made when you compact. A backup 
precaution for those that do not backup. After a successful compaction, 
these files may be deleted.

Is compacting hanging on 4 or 5 folders, or just one? What are the sizes of 
these dbx files?
-- 

              Bruce Hagen
            MS-MVP  [Mail]
          Imperial Beach, CA


"Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
news:OVajZmPeKHA.5996@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>I have WinXP, OE6.   My computer man made a file folder by size of my OE 
>personal folders, so I would know which ones most badly need compacting 
>(before I do an external backup).  I prefer to compact folders 
>individually, rather than "compact all'.   Here is my question:  The 4 or 5 
>largest ones, in addition to showing "folder name.dbx" also have a "folder 
>name.bak". When it gets almost to the end of the compacting, I get this 
>message:  "The folder is currently in use by Outlook Express or by another 
>application" and it quits the compacting.   Will appreciate any help with 
>this, thanks.
> 

0
Bruce
12/9/2009 7:06:18 PM
Joy wrote:
> I prefer to compact folders
> individually, rather than "compact all'.   Here is my question:  The 4
> or 5 largest ones, in addition to showing "folder name.dbx" also have
a
> "folder name.bak". When it gets almost to the end of the compacting, I
> get this message:  "The folder is currently in use by Outlook Express
> or by another application" and it quits the compacting.   Will
> appreciate any help with this, thanks.

If it is given that you are compacting one folderfile at a time, and
now/here you are (only) 'talking about' folder name.bak, then one might
assume that you are trying to compact folder name.bak (presumably)
because it is also large like your largest .dbx and you get that message
because folder name.bak is in use.

If that assumption is correct, then the answer would be to not try to
compact folder name.bak.


-- 
Mike Easter

0
Mike
12/9/2009 8:16:34 PM
I'm only trying to compact 'folder.dbx', NOT 'folder.bak'.

"Mike Easter" <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote in message 
news:7oaesqF3nk900U1@mid.individual.net...
> Joy wrote:
>> I prefer to compact folders
>> individually, rather than "compact all'.   Here is my question:  The 4
>> or 5 largest ones, in addition to showing "folder name.dbx" also have
> a
>> "folder name.bak". When it gets almost to the end of the compacting, I
>> get this message:  "The folder is currently in use by Outlook Express
>> or by another application" and it quits the compacting.   Will
>> appreciate any help with this, thanks.
>
> If it is given that you are compacting one folderfile at a time, and
> now/here you are (only) 'talking about' folder name.bak, then one might
> assume that you are trying to compact folder name.bak (presumably)
> because it is also large like your largest .dbx and you get that message
> because folder name.bak is in use.
>
> If that assumption is correct, then the answer would be to not try to
> compact folder name.bak.
>
>
> -- 
> Mike Easter
> 


0
Joy
12/9/2009 10:26:34 PM
Joy wrote:
> I'm only trying to compact 'folder.dbx', NOT 'folder.bak'.

I think we aren't/ I'm not/ communicating optimally.  I think I'll
introduce my folderfile term (as if to clarify what I'm saying).

I don't understand how you would do that (if 'that' means compact
folders.dbx) as an individual folderfile, where I use the term
'folderfile' to refer to the 'folders' which you see in OE, which in
reality are 'files' named such as Sent.dbx.

There is such a thing as 'folders.dbx' which is a record of all of the
'folderfiles' -- so whenever you compact a folder, such as Sent, then
you are actually compacting the file Sent.dbx.

But, in contrast, there is no such thing as a Folders *folder*, but
there *IS* such a thing as a folders.dbx.

That folders.dbx only gets compacted when you use the compact all
function;  not when you compact one by one individually.

Also, you should do your compacting offline to prevent something from
flying into your inbox while you are compacting.


-- 
Mike Easter

0
Mike
12/9/2009 10:45:49 PM
Yes, I do compacting offline, thanks for the reminder, though.

I have personal/individual folders I've created for, say, certain friends, 
like one might be titled "Susie".     I am trying to compact those 
individually, and am succeeding for all such folders, except for about 5 of 
them that ALSO seem to have a "susie.bak" as well as a "susie.dbx.      They 
also happen to be the largest folders.   I was using "folders" as a generic 
term, I should probably have said "Susie".

"Mike Easter" <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote in message 
news:7oankmF3p3t1rU1@mid.individual.net...
> Joy wrote:
>> I'm only trying to compact 'folder.dbx', NOT 'folder.bak'.
>
> I think we aren't/ I'm not/ communicating optimally.  I think I'll
> introduce my folderfile term (as if to clarify what I'm saying).
>
> I don't understand how you would do that (if 'that' means compact
> folders.dbx) as an individual folderfile, where I use the term
> 'folderfile' to refer to the 'folders' which you see in OE, which in
> reality are 'files' named such as Sent.dbx.
>
> There is such a thing as 'folders.dbx' which is a record of all of the
> 'folderfiles' -- so whenever you compact a folder, such as Sent, then
> you are actually compacting the file Sent.dbx.
>
> But, in contrast, there is no such thing as a Folders *folder*, but
> there *IS* such a thing as a folders.dbx.
>
> That folders.dbx only gets compacted when you use the compact all
> function;  not when you compact one by one individually.
>
> Also, you should do your compacting offline to prevent something from
> flying into your inbox while you are compacting.
>
>
> -- 
> Mike Easter
> 


0
Joy
12/10/2009 12:34:40 AM
Did you miss my reply?
-- 

              Bruce Hagen
    MS-MVP Outlook Express
          Imperial Beach, CA


"Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
news:#q8nSCTeKHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Yes, I do compacting offline, thanks for the reminder, though.
>
> I have personal/individual folders I've created for, say, certain friends, 
> like one might be titled "Susie".     I am trying to compact those 
> individually, and am succeeding for all such folders, except for about 5 
> of them that ALSO seem to have a "susie.bak" as well as a "susie.dbx. 
> They also happen to be the largest folders.   I was using "folders" as a 
> generic term, I should probably have said "Susie".
>
> "Mike Easter" <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote in message 
> news:7oankmF3p3t1rU1@mid.individual.net...
>> Joy wrote:
>>> I'm only trying to compact 'folder.dbx', NOT 'folder.bak'.
>>
>> I think we aren't/ I'm not/ communicating optimally.  I think I'll
>> introduce my folderfile term (as if to clarify what I'm saying).
>>
>> I don't understand how you would do that (if 'that' means compact
>> folders.dbx) as an individual folderfile, where I use the term
>> 'folderfile' to refer to the 'folders' which you see in OE, which in
>> reality are 'files' named such as Sent.dbx.
>>
>> There is such a thing as 'folders.dbx' which is a record of all of the
>> 'folderfiles' -- so whenever you compact a folder, such as Sent, then
>> you are actually compacting the file Sent.dbx.
>>
>> But, in contrast, there is no such thing as a Folders *folder*, but
>> there *IS* such a thing as a folders.dbx.
>>
>> That folders.dbx only gets compacted when you use the compact all
>> function;  not when you compact one by one individually.
>>
>> Also, you should do your compacting offline to prevent something from
>> flying into your inbox while you are compacting.
>>
>>
>> -- 
>> Mike Easter
>>
>
> 
0
Bruce
12/10/2009 12:39:31 AM
Sorry, I wanted to try an experiment before replying.  There are 5 folders, 
all of them over 600,000 KB.    I hadn't had time to try the experiment. 
I just took time to try it on one folder; moved enough old e-mails into a 
new folder to bring it well below the 600,000 (down to 550,000, and then it 
let me compact.   So perhaps that is the answer?


"Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message 
news:uteesKQeKHA.2460@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> BAK files are copies automatically made when you compact. A backup 
> precaution for those that do not backup. After a successful compaction, 
> these files may be deleted.
>
> Is compacting hanging on 4 or 5 folders, or just one? What are the sizes 
> of these dbx files?
> -- 
>
>              Bruce Hagen
>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>          Imperial Beach, CA
>
>
> "Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
> news:OVajZmPeKHA.5996@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>I have WinXP, OE6.   My computer man made a file folder by size of my OE 
>>personal folders, so I would know which ones most badly need compacting 
>>(before I do an external backup).  I prefer to compact folders 
>>individually, rather than "compact all'.   Here is my question:  The 4 or 
>>5 largest ones, in addition to showing "folder name.dbx" also have a 
>>"folder name.bak". When it gets almost to the end of the compacting, I get 
>>this message:  "The folder is currently in use by Outlook Express or by 
>>another application" and it quits the compacting.   Will appreciate any 
>>help with this, thanks.
>>
> 


0
Joy
12/10/2009 1:12:55 PM
Folder size is not changed by moving or deleting messages until a folder is 
compacted.
Your folder did not become smaller by moving messages.  There has to be a 
compaction.
-- 
Ron Sommer
MS MVP-Mail

"Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
news:#S1QmrZeKHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Sorry, I wanted to try an experiment before replying.  There are 5 
> folders, all of them over 600,000 KB.    I hadn't had time to try the 
> experiment. I just took time to try it on one folder; moved enough old 
> e-mails into a new folder to bring it well below the 600,000 (down to 
> 550,000, and then it let me compact.   So perhaps that is the answer?
>
>
> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message 
> news:uteesKQeKHA.2460@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> BAK files are copies automatically made when you compact. A backup 
>> precaution for those that do not backup. After a successful compaction, 
>> these files may be deleted.
>>
>> Is compacting hanging on 4 or 5 folders, or just one? What are the sizes 
>> of these dbx files?
>> -- 
>>
>>              Bruce Hagen
>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>
>>
>> "Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
>> news:OVajZmPeKHA.5996@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>>I have WinXP, OE6.   My computer man made a file folder by size of my OE 
>>>personal folders, so I would know which ones most badly need compacting 
>>>(before I do an external backup).  I prefer to compact folders 
>>>individually, rather than "compact all'.   Here is my question:  The 4 or 
>>>5 largest ones, in addition to showing "folder name.dbx" also have a 
>>>"folder name.bak". When it gets almost to the end of the compacting, I 
>>>get this message:  "The folder is currently in use by Outlook Express or 
>>>by another application" and it quits the compacting.   Will appreciate 
>>>any help with this, thanks.
>>>
>>
>
> 
0
Ron
12/10/2009 1:46:40 PM
Sorry, I thought I explained.   It let me compact after I moved messages, 
whereas it would not let me before that.   I estimated the size-to-be by 
subtracting the size of what I removed from the size of the original folder.

"Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message 
news:uUjY28ZeKHA.2160@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Folder size is not changed by moving or deleting messages until a folder 
> is compacted.
> Your folder did not become smaller by moving messages.  There has to be a 
> compaction.
> -- 
> Ron Sommer
> MS MVP-Mail
>
> "Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
> news:#S1QmrZeKHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> Sorry, I wanted to try an experiment before replying.  There are 5 
>> folders, all of them over 600,000 KB.    I hadn't had time to try the 
>> experiment. I just took time to try it on one folder; moved enough old 
>> e-mails into a new folder to bring it well below the 600,000 (down to 
>> 550,000, and then it let me compact.   So perhaps that is the answer?
>>
>>
>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message 
>> news:uteesKQeKHA.2460@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> BAK files are copies automatically made when you compact. A backup 
>>> precaution for those that do not backup. After a successful compaction, 
>>> these files may be deleted.
>>>
>>> Is compacting hanging on 4 or 5 folders, or just one? What are the sizes 
>>> of these dbx files?
>>> -- 
>>>
>>>              Bruce Hagen
>>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>>
>>>
>>> "Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
>>> news:OVajZmPeKHA.5996@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>>>I have WinXP, OE6.   My computer man made a file folder by size of my OE 
>>>>personal folders, so I would know which ones most badly need compacting 
>>>>(before I do an external backup).  I prefer to compact folders 
>>>>individually, rather than "compact all'.   Here is my question:  The 4 
>>>>or 5 largest ones, in addition to showing "folder name.dbx" also have a 
>>>>"folder name.bak". When it gets almost to the end of the compacting, I 
>>>>get this message:  "The folder is currently in use by Outlook Express or 
>>>>by another application" and it quits the compacting.   Will appreciate 
>>>>any help with this, thanks.
>>>>
>>>
>>
>> 


0
Joy
12/10/2009 2:51:09 PM
What is the size of the dbx file after you compact? My advice is to keep 
them under 300MB each. What I would do for all of these folders is make a 
Susie-1 and Susie-2 folder. *Copy* about 50% of the messages to each. 
Lather, rinse, repeat for the other folders. Do these smaller versions 
compact OK? Good. Leave them and delete the original folders.

Now, you MUST do a COMACT ALL!  Folders.dbx is the brains of the whole dbx 
file system and it only gets compacted when you do a compact all.
-- 
           Bruce Hagen
         MS-MVP [Mail]
      Imperial Beach, CA


"Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
news:eGBe5gaeKHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Sorry, I thought I explained.   It let me compact after I moved messages, 
> whereas it would not let me before that.   I estimated the size-to-be by 
> subtracting the size of what I removed from the size of the original 
> folder.
>
> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message 
> news:uUjY28ZeKHA.2160@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> Folder size is not changed by moving or deleting messages until a folder 
>> is compacted.
>> Your folder did not become smaller by moving messages.  There has to be a 
>> compaction.
>> -- 
>> Ron Sommer
>> MS MVP-Mail
>>
>> "Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
>> news:#S1QmrZeKHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>> Sorry, I wanted to try an experiment before replying.  There are 5 
>>> folders, all of them over 600,000 KB.    I hadn't had time to try the 
>>> experiment. I just took time to try it on one folder; moved enough old 
>>> e-mails into a new folder to bring it well below the 600,000 (down to 
>>> 550,000, and then it let me compact.   So perhaps that is the answer?
>>>
>>>
>>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message 
>>> news:uteesKQeKHA.2460@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>>> BAK files are copies automatically made when you compact. A backup 
>>>> precaution for those that do not backup. After a successful compaction, 
>>>> these files may be deleted.
>>>>
>>>> Is compacting hanging on 4 or 5 folders, or just one? What are the 
>>>> sizes of these dbx files?
>>>> -- 
>>>>
>>>>              Bruce Hagen
>>>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
>>>> news:OVajZmPeKHA.5996@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>>>>I have WinXP, OE6.   My computer man made a file folder by size of my 
>>>>>OE personal folders, so I would know which ones most badly need 
>>>>>compacting (before I do an external backup).  I prefer to compact 
>>>>>folders individually, rather than "compact all'.   Here is my question: 
>>>>>The 4 or 5 largest ones, in addition to showing "folder name.dbx" also 
>>>>>have a "folder name.bak". When it gets almost to the end of the 
>>>>>compacting, I get this message:  "The folder is currently in use by 
>>>>>Outlook Express or by another application" and it quits the compacting. 
>>>>>Will appreciate any help with this, thanks.
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>
> 

0
Bruce
12/10/2009 3:38:36 PM
Actually the ones under 600MB (after I moved enough to make them smaller 
than 600) compacted OK.

I've been scared to do compact all because twice in the past when I did 
that, some of the e-mails in my folders (important ones) disappeared! 
That's why I've been doing the folders individually.  Didn't know the 
importance/need of doing compact all.   Dilemma!   Guess I'll finish the 
individual compacting, then back up everything (I use EA Express) and THEN 
(bravely) try to compact all.

"Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message 
news:u6A6$6aeKHA.6000@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> What is the size of the dbx file after you compact? My advice is to keep 
> them under 300MB each. What I would do for all of these folders is make a 
> Susie-1 and Susie-2 folder. *Copy* about 50% of the messages to each. 
> Lather, rinse, repeat for the other folders. Do these smaller versions 
> compact OK? Good. Leave them and delete the original folders.
>
> Now, you MUST do a COMACT ALL!  Folders.dbx is the brains of the whole dbx 
> file system and it only gets compacted when you do a compact all.
> -- 
>           Bruce Hagen
>         MS-MVP [Mail]
>      Imperial Beach, CA
>
>
> "Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
> news:eGBe5gaeKHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Sorry, I thought I explained.   It let me compact after I moved messages, 
>> whereas it would not let me before that.   I estimated the size-to-be by 
>> subtracting the size of what I removed from the size of the original 
>> folder.
>>
>> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message 
>> news:uUjY28ZeKHA.2160@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>> Folder size is not changed by moving or deleting messages until a folder 
>>> is compacted.
>>> Your folder did not become smaller by moving messages.  There has to be 
>>> a compaction.
>>> -- 
>>> Ron Sommer
>>> MS MVP-Mail
>>>
>>> "Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
>>> news:#S1QmrZeKHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>> Sorry, I wanted to try an experiment before replying.  There are 5 
>>>> folders, all of them over 600,000 KB.    I hadn't had time to try the 
>>>> experiment. I just took time to try it on one folder; moved enough old 
>>>> e-mails into a new folder to bring it well below the 600,000 (down to 
>>>> 550,000, and then it let me compact.   So perhaps that is the answer?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message 
>>>> news:uteesKQeKHA.2460@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>>>> BAK files are copies automatically made when you compact. A backup 
>>>>> precaution for those that do not backup. After a successful 
>>>>> compaction, these files may be deleted.
>>>>>
>>>>> Is compacting hanging on 4 or 5 folders, or just one? What are the 
>>>>> sizes of these dbx files?
>>>>> -- 
>>>>>
>>>>>              Bruce Hagen
>>>>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>>>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> "Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
>>>>> news:OVajZmPeKHA.5996@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>>>>>I have WinXP, OE6.   My computer man made a file folder by size of my 
>>>>>>OE personal folders, so I would know which ones most badly need 
>>>>>>compacting (before I do an external backup).  I prefer to compact 
>>>>>>folders individually, rather than "compact all'.   Here is my 
>>>>>>question: The 4 or 5 largest ones, in addition to showing "folder 
>>>>>>name.dbx" also have a "folder name.bak". When it gets almost to the 
>>>>>>end of the compacting, I get this message:  "The folder is currently 
>>>>>>in use by Outlook Express or by another application" and it quits the 
>>>>>>compacting. Will appreciate any help with this, thanks.
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>>
> 


0
Joy
12/10/2009 3:53:34 PM
Thanks for reporting back and explaining about the folder size.  As I have 
already said, the folder size did not change by moving messages.
-- 
Ron Sommer


"Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
news:eGBe5gaeKHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Sorry, I thought I explained.   It let me compact after I moved messages, 
> whereas it would not let me before that.   I estimated the size-to-be by 
> subtracting the size of what I removed from the size of the original 
> folder.
>
> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message 
> news:uUjY28ZeKHA.2160@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> Folder size is not changed by moving or deleting messages until a folder 
>> is compacted.
>> Your folder did not become smaller by moving messages.  There has to be a 
>> compaction.
>> -- 
>> Ron Sommer
>> MS MVP-Mail
>>
>> "Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
>> news:#S1QmrZeKHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>> Sorry, I wanted to try an experiment before replying.  There are 5 
>>> folders, all of them over 600,000 KB.    I hadn't had time to try the 
>>> experiment. I just took time to try it on one folder; moved enough old 
>>> e-mails into a new folder to bring it well below the 600,000 (down to 
>>> 550,000, and then it let me compact.   So perhaps that is the answer?
>>>
>>>
>>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message 
>>> news:uteesKQeKHA.2460@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>>> BAK files are copies automatically made when you compact. A backup 
>>>> precaution for those that do not backup. After a successful compaction, 
>>>> these files may be deleted.
>>>>
>>>> Is compacting hanging on 4 or 5 folders, or just one? What are the 
>>>> sizes of these dbx files?
>>>> -- 
>>>>
>>>>              Bruce Hagen
>>>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
>>>> news:OVajZmPeKHA.5996@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>>>>I have WinXP, OE6.   My computer man made a file folder by size of my 
>>>>>OE personal folders, so I would know which ones most badly need 
>>>>>compacting (before I do an external backup).  I prefer to compact 
>>>>>folders individually, rather than "compact all'.   Here is my question: 
>>>>>The 4 or 5 largest ones, in addition to showing "folder name.dbx" also 
>>>>>have a "folder name.bak". When it gets almost to the end of the 
>>>>>compacting, I get this message:  "The folder is currently in use by 
>>>>>Outlook Express or by another application" and it quits the compacting. 
>>>>>Will appreciate any help with this, thanks.
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>
> 
0
Ron
12/10/2009 6:02:21 PM
300MB?

That's bigger than I had thought - looks like I was worrying unduly at my 
odd 40 meg dbxs!

Appols for butting in.

S


"Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message 
news:u6A6$6aeKHA.6000@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> What is the size of the dbx file after you compact? My advice is to keep 
> them under 300MB each. What I would do for all of these folders is make a 
> Susie-1 and Susie-2 folder. *Copy* about 50% of the messages to each. 
> Lather, rinse, repeat for the other folders. Do these smaller versions 
> compact OK? Good. Leave them and delete the original folders.
>
> Now, you MUST do a COMACT ALL!  Folders.dbx is the brains of the whole dbx 
> file system and it only gets compacted when you do a compact all.
> -- 
>           Bruce Hagen
>         MS-MVP [Mail]
>      Imperial Beach, CA
>
>
> "Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
> news:eGBe5gaeKHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Sorry, I thought I explained.   It let me compact after I moved messages, 
>> whereas it would not let me before that.   I estimated the size-to-be by 
>> subtracting the size of what I removed from the size of the original 
>> folder.
>>
>> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message 
>> news:uUjY28ZeKHA.2160@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>> Folder size is not changed by moving or deleting messages until a folder 
>>> is compacted.
>>> Your folder did not become smaller by moving messages.  There has to be 
>>> a compaction.
>>> -- 
>>> Ron Sommer
>>> MS MVP-Mail
>>>
>>> "Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
>>> news:#S1QmrZeKHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>> Sorry, I wanted to try an experiment before replying.  There are 5 
>>>> folders, all of them over 600,000 KB.    I hadn't had time to try the 
>>>> experiment. I just took time to try it on one folder; moved enough old 
>>>> e-mails into a new folder to bring it well below the 600,000 (down to 
>>>> 550,000, and then it let me compact.   So perhaps that is the answer?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message 
>>>> news:uteesKQeKHA.2460@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>>>> BAK files are copies automatically made when you compact. A backup 
>>>>> precaution for those that do not backup. After a successful 
>>>>> compaction, these files may be deleted.
>>>>>
>>>>> Is compacting hanging on 4 or 5 folders, or just one? What are the 
>>>>> sizes of these dbx files?
>>>>> -- 
>>>>>
>>>>>              Bruce Hagen
>>>>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>>>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> "Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
>>>>> news:OVajZmPeKHA.5996@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>>>>>I have WinXP, OE6.   My computer man made a file folder by size of my 
>>>>>>OE personal folders, so I would know which ones most badly need 
>>>>>>compacting (before I do an external backup).  I prefer to compact 
>>>>>>folders individually, rather than "compact all'.   Here is my 
>>>>>>question: The 4 or 5 largest ones, in addition to showing "folder 
>>>>>>name.dbx" also have a "folder name.bak". When it gets almost to the 
>>>>>>end of the compacting, I get this message:  "The folder is currently 
>>>>>>in use by Outlook Express or by another application" and it quits the 
>>>>>>compacting. Will appreciate any help with this, thanks.
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>>
> 


0
spamlet
12/10/2009 6:25:45 PM
When you lose folders during compacting, it is usually because the were 
bloated, (i.e. to big and lack of compacting, including Folders.dbx), or 
compacting was disrupted. I suggest you compact *all* at least once a week, 
offline.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are 
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the 
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until 
the compacting is completed.

Compact Your OE Folders:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact

More reading:

Why does OE insist on compacting folders when I close it?:
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm#compact

About File Corruption:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

Compacting your folders periodically is a must to keep OE functioning well 
and at some point, you may lose all your saved messages if you don't. When 
you delete, or move messages, the space they had used remains until you 
compact.

***Never touch anything until the compacting is finished.***

See:
www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#2

With SP2, automatic background compacting was removed due to problems it 
caused. Now you will get a prompt to compact after 100 OE closings, which 
you should do, and don't touch anything until it has finished. If you 
compact manually, at your convenience, this will also set the counter back 
to zero. See this for more information:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact

If you are fully patched, you will also now see a copy of your dbx files 
being copied to the Recycle Bin as BAK files. Should something go awry when 
compacting, the messages can easily be restored from this backup. A manual 
compact will also reset the counter in the registry back to zero now.

For more info, see the information outlined in red here:
www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#2

To keep things running smooth, and for faster compacting:

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become 
corrupt and you may lose mail. Create your own user defined folders for 
storing mail and move your mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder 
regularly. Keep user created folders under 300MB, and Default folders as 
empty as is feasible.
-- 
           Bruce Hagen
         MS-MVP [Mail]
      Imperial Beach, CA




"Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
news:OCWubIdeKHA.5608@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Actually the ones under 600MB (after I moved enough to make them smaller 
> than 600) compacted OK.
>
> I've been scared to do compact all because twice in the past when I did 
> that, some of the e-mails in my folders (important ones) disappeared! 
> That's why I've been doing the folders individually.  Didn't know the 
> importance/need of doing compact all.   Dilemma!   Guess I'll finish the 
> individual compacting, then back up everything (I use EA Express) and THEN 
> (bravely) try to compact all.
>
> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message 
> news:u6A6$6aeKHA.6000@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> What is the size of the dbx file after you compact? My advice is to keep 
>> them under 300MB each. What I would do for all of these folders is make a 
>> Susie-1 and Susie-2 folder. *Copy* about 50% of the messages to each. 
>> Lather, rinse, repeat for the other folders. Do these smaller versions 
>> compact OK? Good. Leave them and delete the original folders.
>>
>> Now, you MUST do a COMACT ALL!  Folders.dbx is the brains of the whole 
>> dbx file system and it only gets compacted when you do a compact all.
>> -- 
>>           Bruce Hagen
>>         MS-MVP [Mail]
>>      Imperial Beach, CA
>>
>>
>> "Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
>> news:eGBe5gaeKHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> Sorry, I thought I explained.   It let me compact after I moved 
>>> messages, whereas it would not let me before that.   I estimated the 
>>> size-to-be by subtracting the size of what I removed from the size of 
>>> the original folder.
>>>
>>> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message 
>>> news:uUjY28ZeKHA.2160@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>> Folder size is not changed by moving or deleting messages until a 
>>>> folder is compacted.
>>>> Your folder did not become smaller by moving messages.  There has to be 
>>>> a compaction.
>>>> -- 
>>>> Ron Sommer
>>>> MS MVP-Mail
>>>>
>>>> "Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
>>>> news:#S1QmrZeKHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>>> Sorry, I wanted to try an experiment before replying.  There are 5 
>>>>> folders, all of them over 600,000 KB.    I hadn't had time to try the 
>>>>> experiment. I just took time to try it on one folder; moved enough old 
>>>>> e-mails into a new folder to bring it well below the 600,000 (down to 
>>>>> 550,000, and then it let me compact.   So perhaps that is the answer?
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message 
>>>>> news:uteesKQeKHA.2460@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>>>>> BAK files are copies automatically made when you compact. A backup 
>>>>>> precaution for those that do not backup. After a successful 
>>>>>> compaction, these files may be deleted.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Is compacting hanging on 4 or 5 folders, or just one? What are the 
>>>>>> sizes of these dbx files?
>>>>>> -- 
>>>>>>
>>>>>>              Bruce Hagen
>>>>>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>>>>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> "Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
>>>>>> news:OVajZmPeKHA.5996@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>>>>>>I have WinXP, OE6.   My computer man made a file folder by size of my 
>>>>>>>OE personal folders, so I would know which ones most badly need 
>>>>>>>compacting (before I do an external backup).  I prefer to compact 
>>>>>>>folders individually, rather than "compact all'.   Here is my 
>>>>>>>question: The 4 or 5 largest ones, in addition to showing "folder 
>>>>>>>name.dbx" also have a "folder name.bak". When it gets almost to the 
>>>>>>>end of the compacting, I get this message:  "The folder is currently 
>>>>>>>in use by Outlook Express or by another application" and it quits the 
>>>>>>>compacting. Will appreciate any help with this, thanks.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>
> 

0
Bruce
12/10/2009 8:00:17 PM
For anyone following this thread:
Joy's folders did not become smaller by moving messages to another folder.
Joy did not check the file size before and after moving messages.

Joy,
It is my understanding that even a failed compaction will compact some 
folders unless it fails on the first folder.
What doesn't occur until the compaction is complete is the resetting of the 
Compact Check Count to 0.
-- 
Ron Sommer
MS MVP-Mail

"Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
news:OCWubIdeKHA.5608@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Actually the ones under 600MB (after I moved enough to make them smaller 
> than 600) compacted OK.
>
> I've been scared to do compact all because twice in the past when I did 
> that, some of the e-mails in my folders (important ones) disappeared! 
> That's why I've been doing the folders individually.  Didn't know the 
> importance/need of doing compact all.   Dilemma!   Guess I'll finish the 
> individual compacting, then back up everything (I use EA Express) and THEN 
> (bravely) try to compact all.
>
> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message 
> news:u6A6$6aeKHA.6000@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> What is the size of the dbx file after you compact? My advice is to keep 
>> them under 300MB each. What I would do for all of these folders is make a 
>> Susie-1 and Susie-2 folder. *Copy* about 50% of the messages to each. 
>> Lather, rinse, repeat for the other folders. Do these smaller versions 
>> compact OK? Good. Leave them and delete the original folders.
>>
>> Now, you MUST do a COMACT ALL!  Folders.dbx is the brains of the whole 
>> dbx file system and it only gets compacted when you do a compact all.
>> -- 
>>           Bruce Hagen
>>         MS-MVP [Mail]
>>      Imperial Beach, CA
>>
>>
>> "Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
>> news:eGBe5gaeKHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> Sorry, I thought I explained.   It let me compact after I moved 
>>> messages, whereas it would not let me before that.   I estimated the 
>>> size-to-be by subtracting the size of what I removed from the size of 
>>> the original folder.
>>>
>>> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message 
>>> news:uUjY28ZeKHA.2160@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>> Folder size is not changed by moving or deleting messages until a 
>>>> folder is compacted.
>>>> Your folder did not become smaller by moving messages.  There has to be 
>>>> a compaction.
>>>> -- 
>>>> Ron Sommer
>>>> MS MVP-Mail
>>>>
>>>> "Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
>>>> news:#S1QmrZeKHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>>> Sorry, I wanted to try an experiment before replying.  There are 5 
>>>>> folders, all of them over 600,000 KB.    I hadn't had time to try the 
>>>>> experiment. I just took time to try it on one folder; moved enough old 
>>>>> e-mails into a new folder to bring it well below the 600,000 (down to 
>>>>> 550,000, and then it let me compact.   So perhaps that is the answer?
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message 
>>>>> news:uteesKQeKHA.2460@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>>>>> BAK files are copies automatically made when you compact. A backup 
>>>>>> precaution for those that do not backup. After a successful 
>>>>>> compaction, these files may be deleted.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Is compacting hanging on 4 or 5 folders, or just one? What are the 
>>>>>> sizes of these dbx files?
>>>>>> -- 
>>>>>>
>>>>>>              Bruce Hagen
>>>>>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>>>>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> "Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message 
>>>>>> news:OVajZmPeKHA.5996@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>>>>>>I have WinXP, OE6.   My computer man made a file folder by size of my 
>>>>>>>OE personal folders, so I would know which ones most badly need 
>>>>>>>compacting (before I do an external backup).  I prefer to compact 
>>>>>>>folders individually, rather than "compact all'.   Here is my 
>>>>>>>question: The 4 or 5 largest ones, in addition to showing "folder 
>>>>>>>name.dbx" also have a "folder name.bak". When it gets almost to the 
>>>>>>>end of the compacting, I get this message:  "The folder is currently 
>>>>>>>in use by Outlook Express or by another application" and it quits the 
>>>>>>>compacting. Will appreciate any help with this, thanks.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>
> 
0
Ron
12/10/2009 9:17:52 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

INt'l GC question
Exchange 2003 Questio We have two sites- One in US (Headquarters) and One in UK (DC's and Global Catalog My question is how do client machines in UK determine the closest Domain Controller/Global Catalo If I use the "Connection Status" trick in Outlook 2003 I can see that their client are coming back to the states to hit the DC/Global Catalog server when they should be accessing their local DC/GC that we placed in the UK Does anyone know hoe to change this or what steps need to happen The odd thing is that I checked the security logs of those UK DC's and records appear- ...

Question #2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C3DABE.D785FDF0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have decided to use the "\" authentication setting on my exchange 2003 = ent server on windows 2003 server set through IIS.=20 The problem im having is that settings seem to be constantly getting = overwritten.=20 I change the Domain to DOMAIN-NAME and the Realm to "\" so now users = can log in with no domain name...but after a while that setting changes = and users have to go back...

Update Query Question/Problem
Hi, I have the following for an update query: UPDATE tNEW RIGHT JOIN t05 ON tNEW.[Cust Material Number] = t05.[Cust Material Number] SET tNEW.[Vendor Material Number] = t05.[Vendor Material Number], tNEW.[Part Class] = t05.[Parts Class] WHERE (((tNEW.[Vendor Material Number]) Is Null)); In checking to see the records that will be updated, it is returning those in the Cust Material Number field that are null (only 10 records) and there are many more that have null values in Vendor Material Number. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to have it update the blank field in Vendor Materi...

Compact now not compacting
When I select my personal folder and try do a 'compact now' it says its compacting but when I check the size it hasnt done anything. The file size is just over 700mb and when I manually do it using XP zip it halves the size! What am I missing here? Why aint Outlook compacting my personal folder? Thanks, Grant Compact Now and zipping a file isn't the same. When you Compress a pst-file it removes the "white spaces" and allows you to run the pst-file. When you zip a file you cannot directly access the file anymore. Compress Now should come up with a file size just a ...

Its a easy dumb question.
When i have formulas with there criteria not fullfilled, i get th "#N/A". How do i get that to go away -- comotoma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- comotoman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2729 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46828 comotoman Wrote: > When i have formulas with there criteria not fullfilled, i get th > "#N/A". How do i get that to go away? One way ... =IF(ISERROR(YOUR_FORMULA),\" \",YOUR_FORMULA will take care of th...

Interview questions?
I was interested in looking for a new job. So I wanted to prepare for the interviews. Does anyone here know of a web page that has sample Access and Access programming questions? I have tried to find it on my own. But no luck. ... http://www.geekinterview.com/Interview-Questions/Database/Microsoft-Access -- Wayne Manchester, England. "General Fear" wrote: > > I was interested in looking for a new job. So I wanted to prepare for > the interviews. > > Does anyone here know of a web page that has sample Access and Access > programming questions? > &g...

Number Question
Hi, Can anyone tell me how I can use Excel to delete dashes in a column of numbers and, if possible, add a zero to each of those numbers? I have two files which I download from a mainframe and which I am trying to merge and sort. I will sort the data by account number. However, one of the account numbers begins with a zero and the contains dashes. (i.e. 04568653 and 4-5686-53) I don't think I can properly sort the two numbers without taking out the dashes and adding a zero to the second example. So how do I sort these numbers? What I thought I would try to do is to make the secon...

Mfg Standard Cost Maintenance question.
GP 10. The documentation states that Cards >> Manufacturing >> Inventory >> Std Cost Maintenance pulls its Pending/revalue material costs from the Standard Item Material Costs window. So I go into the SIMC screen and enter either a future-dated or backdated pending material cost for CORDG (a component of 100XLG). But that change doesn't show in the Std Cost Maintenance screen for either CORDG or 100XLG. It doesn't show in teh Stand Cost Changes screen either. Neitehr rollup nor revalue in that screen picks up the SIMC value. What am I missing? Generall...

Not Compacting Correctly
This may be a dumb question, but I truly do not know what to do. I created a database for myself, no one else uses it. I have selected the "Compact on Close" option, but when I go to the location to open it again, I see the original file with a large file size and then a file name, "db1.mdb" with the smaller, compacted size. This just started happening in the last week, otherwise it has always compacted correctly. Any help would be appreciated! -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access/201005/1 On Wed, 05 ...

Mail Merge List Question
Is there a way to export to Excel the "mail merge recipients" list? Paul wrote: > Is there a way to export to Excel the "mail merge recipients" list? Publisher will not allow you to export to Excel. How did you bring your current data into Publisher? Are you using the built in Publisher Address List feature? If so, that is an *.mdb file, which can be opened in Access. You could then export that to Excel. By default, this is stored in the My Data Source folder. But when you initially create this database, you are given the option to choose which ever location you ...

Easy income statement question
I have a quick question regarding the income statement. Under "Revenue", are those values based on the time of sale or when we actually get paid for those services/product? And, under "Cost of Revenue", are those values based on the time of sale or when we actually get paid for those services/product? Thanks for your time. Good questions and the answer to both depends upon if you are using accrual-based accounting or cash-based accounting. In an accrual world, you generally don't worry about what's been paid by a customer. If you post a customer invoice, ...

Category question
I've created categories and have applied to specific people in my email address book in Outlook Here's my question. How to I see a listing of all the emails that are in a particular category. I want to be able to say, import into a word document or something like that. This list isn't huge ... maybe 50 - 60 names, but it would be nice to access from the category rather than having to go into each address and copy paste from Outlook into a Word document. I want to distribute this list of a membership to each of the members and I'm unable to find an "easy" way to d...

StringCchCopy question
Hello a few months ago this group helped me become aware of the safety issues involved with using the old string runtime routines like strcpy etc. However I am back again after a short hiatus, trying to implement said routines and due to my novice programming ability I need advice and criticism on the best way to do this. I have the following downloaded example from some webpage I found on a search CHAR szRem[32]; hResult = StringCchCopy(szRem, 32/sizeof(TCHAR), "PM_REMOVE"); which of course seems ok to me ( for all I know ) and I could implement it easy enough. ...

mail compacting
When I double click on a mail message, I no longer get the entire message displayed. I only get the header then I have to click the full screen box to see the whole message. This seems to have started right after I compacted mail. I can't find an option in any of the mail drop-downs to address this issue and Windows mail help is useless. Do you know how to re-size windows without maximizing them (using the "full screen box")? That is something that applies to all Windows windows, not just Windows Mail windows. You need to learn how to re-size windows without ma...

Word 2007 Reviewer question
Hi there Sorry, this is a duplicate question to the one I posted in the Office area before, but I put my original question there by mistake. I have a problem with someone I support where she is adding comments into a word doc as a reviewer ... When she adds the comment in word flags it as Reviewer and marks the comment as R1 R2 etc. But when she saves the document when she is done Word changes it to Author and marks the comments as A1 A2 etc ... this of course makes her comments hard to find. Do you have any suggestions where I might look to fix this? many thanks Chris ...

landscape question
How do I get a vertical line in the exact center of a landscape page? ...

OWA question #2
We currently use OWA 2000 at my office for some remote users as well as some internal users. I'm having trouble getting access to some of the users (can't get the domain\username right). I've changed my settings to Basic authentication which I'm running on our SSL site. I also changed the Basic Authenticaion Domain to ours. But my real concern is the security of it all. Is that secure enough? Thanks for any help you are able to provide Will "Auddog" <will_k@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23faF$0c6DHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > We currently ...

Question on SSRS
I am trying to create a space usage report and the challenge I have is the date is stored as a varchar in the column in the table. I can convert this easily in sql (so that when you group and order the data it does so correctly when there is data from the prior year) however I cannot get the data to group in the report properly. Here is the query: select db, sum(tot) as TotalAvailSpace, sum(used) as TotalUsedSpace, sum(tot)- sum(used) as TotalFreeSpace, cast(entrydt as datetime) from dbaspace where entrydt>=(getdate()-361) group by cast(entrydt as datetime), db order by cast...

Questions!
Hi All, 1. I would like to create a footer as a table with formulas? 2. How can I create a footer for document (block at the end of the document) different from footer for pages? 3. I have a table with data and I don't know its hight. How can I position my footer at the end of the table (without spaces)? Thanks. -- The Best Regards, ..Net Developer Michael Tkachev m_tkachev@hotmail.com ...

Please help
I hope someone can help me out with this because it is creating a very big hassle for me. In the old 2000 version of Excel, it is possible to paste results directly from a Query Analyzer table (or any other table for that matter) into the spreadsheet. It would match the data cell for cell. However in 2003, it seems to paste the an entire multicolumn table of results to single column. Does anyone know how to fix this? Is it a setting or something in 2003? Any help at all is appreciated. Thanks, Joe Joe No setting as such that I know of. Don't have analyser installed but tried ...

Backup Question #2
I am using Money Plus Deluxe. I backup my files to a flash drive after every use and even copy the files to a CD. I also have Money set to automatically backup to the harddrive when I shut the program down. My issue is this: Instead of overwriting the previous backup file, Money writes a new one. I have the setting to keep only one most recent backup but it won't allow me to set it to zero. Hence, everytime I backup, I have additional newer copy. All I want it to do is overwrite the previous backup. Maybe I'm confused by this, but I didn't have this issue with previous versions. ...

Compact/Compact on Close
Hi, I have a number of databases in A2K, written on different machines with different installations of Office. I have found that compacting a database while it is open regularly fails, seemingly at random. This is especially annoying as I usually set the Compact on Close setting in Tools/Options to true. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a fix? Thanks for any help, Jim F. Whyever would you set "Compact-on-close"? This is about the most useless option MS ever invented. "Compact-on-close" what? It can only compact the FE. All sensible software uses an FE/B...

Outlook 2003 shortcut question
Is Outlook 2003 supposed to have an icon for the Outlook Today screen like the previous versions (98, 2002) had? Mine does, how many .pst files do you have open and are you using Exchange or POP3? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Paul Fedorenko asked: | Is Outlook 2003 supposed to have an icon for the Outlook Today screen | like the previous versi...

Compacting NOT deleteing db1.mdb
All of a sudden when we compact a database the db1.mdb file is created and compacted into, but it does not delete the original mdb and rename the db1.mdb to the original name. After compacting we have the original mdb and a db1.mdb. The next day we have the original mdb, a db1.mdb and now a db2.mdb. So on and so on. Can not figure out what changed. Anyone have any thoughts? We do have delete permission on the drives as we can manually delete the original mdb and rename the db1.mdb -cbjames "cbjames" wrote: > All of a sudden when we compact a database the db1.mdb file is ...

question about excel formulae
How can I make excel do this over rows: A1 = x A2 = x * 1.03 A3 = A2 * 1.03 .... .... Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice ASP.NET Session State FAQs http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/0c0899ef-932f-4e7a-8bb3-6663b41660b9/aspnet-session-state-faq.aspx <Ted Walls> wrote: > How can I make excel do this over rows: > A1 = x > A2 = x * 1.03 > A3 = A2 * 1.03 > ... Well, you almost have it yourself. A1: 123 A2: =A1*1.03 Copy A2 to A3 and other cells. You will see that Excel automagically change A1 to the ...