XP SP2 Problems with Outlook

Ever since I Updated XP with SP2 some function in Outlook
crash on me. We are running Exchange 5.5 and when my user
goes to Reply to a message or even create a new message
the communaction between exchange and remote user is not
allowed. Is the firewall closing UDP communication? Any
Ideas on how to fix this issue. Thanks for you help
0
anonymous (74719)

Marcus Feldmore <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Ever since I Updated XP with SP2 some function in Outlook
> crash on me. We are running Exchange 5.5 and when my user
> goes to Reply to a message or even create a new message
> the communaction between exchange and remote user is not
> allowed. Is the firewall closing UDP communication? Any
> Ideas on how to fix this issue. Thanks for you help

No need to post more than once.

XP SP2's firewall is stated by Microsoft to cause issues with Outlook.  Turn
it off (Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>Administrative
Tools>Services) and try again.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
> No need to post more than once.

I'm sure he didn't purposefully.

> XP SP2's firewall is stated by Microsoft to cause issues with Outlook.

Since both products are created by Microsoft, one would think that Microsoft
should have fixed the problem before releasing SP2, no? Either to fix SP2
before releasing it not to conflict with Outlook, or a patch for Outlook to
fix the problem.

Were they in too much of a hurry to release SP2?

0
ms7108 (109)
9/22/2004 3:50:31 PM
 MS <ms@nospam.com> wrote:

> Since both products are created by Microsoft, one would think that
> Microsoft should have fixed the problem before releasing SP2, no?
> Either to fix SP2 before releasing it not to conflict with Outlook,
> or a patch for Outlook to fix the problem.

The issue is that XP's firewall's purpose is specifically to block certain
network communication.  Outlook requires certain network communications to
work.  If Outlook got around the firewall, it would be a security risk.  If
the firewall didn't block the specific network activity, it would be a lousy
firewall (and a security risk).

XP's firewall is meant to be a firewall for dummies.  Fine control over
network activity is best done by a firewall meant to support that type of
control.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
9/22/2004 8:33:16 PM
Would it not be simple enough to allow the necessary Outlook (Exchange)
traffic through the firewall? Try
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=155831 for help doing this. I
have not done this myself.

Ed

> MS <ms@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> Since both products are created by Microsoft, one would think that
>> Microsoft should have fixed the problem before releasing SP2, no?
>> Either to fix SP2 before releasing it not to conflict with Outlook,
>> or a patch for Outlook to fix the problem.
>
> The issue is that XP's firewall's purpose is specifically to block certain
> network communication.  Outlook requires certain network communications to
> work.  If Outlook got around the firewall, it would be a security risk.
> If
> the firewall didn't block the specific network activity, it would be a
> lousy
> firewall (and a security risk).
>
> XP's firewall is meant to be a firewall for dummies.  Fine control over
> network activity is best done by a firewall meant to support that type of
> control.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
ebonnell (2)
9/23/2004 12:31:40 PM
Ed <ebonnell@triware.ca> wrote:

> Would it not be simple enough to allow the necessary Outlook
> (Exchange) traffic through the firewall?

Perhaps.  Like you, I haven't tried it because I don't use XP's firewall.
However, I have seen reports that even when the firewall is modified to
allow Outlook communications, it doesn't work.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
9/23/2004 1:53:54 PM
"Ed" <ebonnell@triware.ca> wrote in message
> Would it not be simple enough to allow the necessary Outlook (Exchange)
> traffic through the firewall?

Yeah, add outlook.exe as an exception.  Then add further exceptions for UDP
on Ports 2048 & 2049 (I think, would have to check) and restrict the scope
of these exceptions to your Exchange server.  Exchange sends a UDP packet to
Outlook to inform the app that new mail has arrived, if Outlook doesn't
receive these packets it doesn't know new mail's there until you click on
something.

Andy.

0
andymac1 (1)

Outlook sending messages attachments corrupt??
Hi there I can't send any messages with attachment any more?? Attachments upon arrival appear as gibberish letters. Or if the attachment is a lager file it produces multiple emails ( up to fifteen single messages) Each email is screened by Norton antivirus 2003. I have not detected virus on my pc. any help would be much appreciated. What is going on?? Regards Norman ...

xp/vista incompatability?
I created several pub files using office 2007. I pasted in multiple Word docs created with two computers, one using XP, the other using Vista. The files using docs from both computers will not open ("publisher cannot open this file" error). I ran a test with 6 Word docs created on XP pasted into a publisher file, opened closed it with Vista computer, no problem. Pasted 1 Word doc created on Vista into the same file then closed and tried to reopen document but got the aformentioned error message. I tried the registry fixes Mary Sauer suggested but no results. Thumbnails of...

Installation of Office XP SP3 issue...
I am using the Outlook 2002 client. Since I have installed Office XP "Service Pack 3", I have noticed that each time a mail message arrives in my mailbox, a window pop's up stating that ... A program is trying to access email addresss you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? etc... This is really annoying. How do I turn this off?? Thanks, Brad See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2002sp3.htm#problems -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outl...

After XP sp2 upgrade, Outlook 2003 crashes every time a Contact is saved or links to other contacts added to it
The subject line says it all. On my Toshiba Tablet PC, "After XP sp2 upgrade, Outlook 2003 crashes every time a Contact is saved or links to other contacts added to it" (via the Contact's "Contacts..." link button). The error signature is always the same: AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 11.0.6353.0 AppStamp:408f2937 ModName: mso.dll ModVer: 11.0.6360.0 ModStamp:40d147de fDebug: 0 Offset: 0001f0e3d And I always send a report to Microsoft (about 115K each), but there is no response giving a fix as there sometimes is. With www.Microsoft.com -> Windows Update, I ha...

FP 2000 editing problem in normal view
Sorry if this is a dup. but have searched and searched. I have built a 3 page website which is published and just fine except now I want to edit one of the pages Home/Text/Contributors When from the navigation bar I go to Text only part of the page is visible in normal view, so I can not edit it. the Home page is fine and the contributor page is fine just the 2nd page or text page won't show all of the info. It shows up in html view and in preview view. Any ideas on what the problem is? Please give a link to the page - it is impossible to say what is w...

Office XP transfer of files to new PC
I am transfering files from my old PC to a new one and I want to take my Office XP just as it is on the old one to the new one; settings and all. Anyone know how to do this? First, you must reinstall Office. Then you can configure Outlook to use the same Outlook Data File (PST file) you were using before instead of the new blank one it created when you installed Outlook: - Go to Tools > Options > Mail Setup > Data Files > Add... - Add the PST you'd like as your new default, then Close > OK to exit the Options dialog - Go to Tools > E-mail Accounts > View or chan...

How to add DHCP mgmt console to XP
Hi Is there a way I can manage DHCP running on SBS2003, or at least look into the current lease list from an XP client? How can I run the dhcpmgmt.msc from an XP client? Thanks Franz Maybe RDC into the SBS from the XP client? -Larry -Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit. -Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com > Hi > > Is there a way I can manage DHCP running on SBS2003, or at least look > into the current lease list from an XP client? > How can I run the dhcpmgmt.msc from an XP client? > Thanks > Franz Tha...

Outlook 2000 SP3

Microsoft Office XP excel 2003
When I open Excel 2003 the splash screen hangs for 30 seconds to about a minute and then excel opens and behaves normally. All other office programs such as Word etc open quickly and behave normally. If Excel is opened in safe mode , the program opens rapidly without any splash screen at all. Any explanations and indeed a cure for this behaviour ? Regards -- FLYNNE When you open excel in safe mode, you're not opening the addins or stuff in your XLStart folder or your customized toolbar. If you don't have lots of addins turned on and don't have lots of stuff in your XLS...

Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
When I go to send a message and type in the person's first initial it gives me the drop down box to choose who I want to send to. However, there are names in there that I want to delete but I do not know how to delete them? These names are NOT in my address book or contact list, these are names from people that I did business with a couple of years ago and sent emails to and now I want to delete these names from this drop down list. Any suggestions? "steelergal63" <steelergal63@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:31E05474-5199-49B3-B2D6-E3...

Merging Problems
CRM 4 Professional We recently upgraded to Version 4. Now, when I try to merge records, I get an error that says simply, "No Attribute." This happens with both accounts and contacts. I created some "test" accounts and contacts that are definitely not associated with any other entities and I get the same problem. Any help is appreciated. ------=_NextPart_0001_713E8B87 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Talina, Thanks for posting in. This is Ken in Online Partner Support. I am working on this issue at Microsoft.Private.Directaccess.Crm. He...

outlook attatchment read only
when I try and open a attatchment that someone sends me it opens it as a read only file. I can save it as another name. I can also drag it to the desktop and than open it and it won't be read only. Just wondering if there is a setting that I need to change to get this to work. I don't like it when I need to change the name all the time to save it. its only when I receive attatchments. If I receive attatchmet it does it. If I forward back to the person who send it. It does not become read only on there computer It is outlook 2003. When you open the message first and...

media sharing problems
I'm trying to setup wmp11 to share my media with my xbox360 over my wireless network. when i try to turn media sharing on i get an error messege "Media sharing has been turned off because a required Windows setting or component has changed. For additional assistance, click Web Help" the "web help" page tells me "You've encountered error message C00D0FF4" and carries on explaining to me how to manually start the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service using the "services" tab of the computer management page. the big problem with tha...

Multipart / Alternative with Outlook (2000)
Is there any way to send Multipart/Alternative email with Outlook, or do I need to obtain a special program to do this? I've been tinkering around with Outlook 2000 and it doesn't look like it's going to work. Also, is there any way to directly edit the HTML of an outgoing Outlook 2000 message? When I insert the contents of an .htm file, Outlook appears to strip out some of the tags (most notably bgcolor and some text formatting). Thanks, Dave ...

Publisher 2002 photo and graphic problems on xp
Microsoft Publisher 2002 works well on my old computer with Windows 98. However, I installed Pub. 2002 in my new computer with Windows XP and have many problems with photos and graphics just showing outline or no image at all. Is 2002 compatable with Windows XP? Yes, Publisher 2002 is compatible with Windows XP, it should work better than it did on 98. View, pictures, detailed display. If this isn't the solution.... Even though your computer is new, it doesn't necessarily mean your video driver is up to date. Try this: Slide the acceleration down on your adapter, control panel,...

Outlook Checking Forcing sequential check of multiple pop accounts
I've been bouncing back and forth between outlook and outlook express for quite a while now and I'd use outlook primarily except I'm getting frustrated with how it handles send/receive for multiple POP accounts. If I perform a general send and receive, even after semi limiting the accounts through groups, the downloading of messages takes a long time. I often run into problems where my connection to one of my servers is reset and the ever dreaded problem of duplicate messages. If I do a send/receive on a mailbox by mailbox basis, the downloads are quick and I never seem to run in...

Help Please with a percentage problem
Hi I have created a s/sheet for a fruit machine I have and would like to work out the payout percentage:- A2 = money in $100 and A3 = money out $78 What formula would i use to state the payout percentage is 78% Thanks Try... =A3/A2 ....and format the cell as 'Percentage'. Hope this helps! In article <56aa4ced9ce92@uwe>, "kyleuk via OfficeKB.com" <u15338@uwe> wrote: > Hi I have created a s/sheet for a fruit machine I have and would like to work > out the payout percentage:- > > A2 = money in $100 and > A3 = money out $78 > > What fo...

Money 2001 and xp #2
Hi, I've been using money for some time but just recently I keep on getting this message " this opperation cannot be preformed " and each time I go from one account to onther this box keeps poping up and then the other box opens asking do I want to send this report to Microsoft can you suggest for me what to do i CAN'T SEEM TO GET ONTO MICROSOFT TO HELP ME OUT Regards Robert (Australia ) In microsoft.public.money, Robert Herod wrote: >I've been using money for some time but just recently I >keep on getting this message " this opperation cannot be &g...

Pivottable linked to Access problems
Hi, I have a large Access database (300,000 rows) linked to an Excel pivottable. As the database has grown, the linking/refreshing performance has decreased and lately it's been crashing. I've worked around it by creating smaller queries off the main table and linking them to the pivot tables. My question is if anyone knows if MS Office 2003 or XP works better, cause I'm using MS Office 2000. If so, I'll want to upgrade! Why not use a crosstab query in Access and link Excel to that? P "Jeff Beamer" <jbeamer@equitable.ca> wrote in message news:0e1...

Public Folder Problem #3
Dear All, There is a problem when click the public folder each time it prompt up a error message as follows; (Under Outlook the newgroup can't display) The operation failed due to an invalid format in the HTTP request. Verify that the host header is correct for the virtual server. ID no.:c1030af0 Exchange System Manager Can anyone give me adive howto fix this problem? Thank you very much Sewaki Hi, I am having the same issue... I was wondering how you were able to resolve the problem? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Luis "Sewaki" wrote: > Dear All...

How to share Outlook 03 Calendar?
Hi guys, How can I share a calendar in Outlook 03 with my networked laptop running Outlook 07? THe work computer running 03 has "share calendar" greyed out. CUrrently I'm getting around things by using SyncMyCal but it's not really ideal because I'm not a great fan of Google Calendar. I just really want to be able to view and edit my office appointments on my laptop. Unfortunately my Palm Pilot doesn't recognise Office 07, otherwise I would have synced between work and laptop that way. Please help me sort my life out? B Hi Bobby, have a look on this sites: Out...

Folder sharing in XP Home vs. XP Pro?
Why is it that I can mount shared folders coming from my desktop running XP Pro onto my laptop running XP Home, but not vice-versa? I don't think I've done anything different between the two machines when sharing out folders. Yousuf Khan "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4b4001f8$1@news.bnb-lp.com... > Why is it that I can mount shared folders coming from my desktop running > XP Pro onto my laptop running XP Home, but not vice-versa? I don't think > I've done anything different between the two machines when shar...

Outlook Task request form
Hi there, I am hoping that someone out there knows the answer to my guestion! I am creating a customized task request form that eventually will sit on every users desktop in the school district where I work. My goal is to have the users enter a request for technical assistance that generates an email to each of the 4 technology members here. The e-mail will generate a task item when accepted and send a reply to the "owner" (staff member initiating the request). The problem I'm encountering is when I customize the form and turn off the display of the default task page, m...

XP Pro desktop Search updates
Need to know the numbers of updates to XP desktop search. Particularly the one that lost me the dog (Search Companion) and gave me Desktop Search. The latest update is 4 and I have not installed that. Zeus cf. http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsexperience/archive/2008/06/03/windows-search-4-0-released-to-web.aspx & http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157 Zeus wrote: > Need to know the numbers of updates to XP desktop search. Particularly the > one that lost me the dog (Search Companion) and gave me Desktop Search. > The > latest update is 4 and I have...

outlook error message.....help
After installing Office 2000, I get the following error only for Outloo when I open it: OUTLOOK.EXE - Application Error. The applicatio failed to initialize properly(0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminat the application. I have tried the repair option, than unistalled an reinstalled and neither of those solved the problem. I am runnin windows XP Pro with SP2. If anyone has any ideas on how to solve thi problem I would appreciate the help. Thank -- deffma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- deffman's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php...