winmail.dat - attachments showing as .dat file

When we send attachments to people they show up on their 
ends as winmail.dat files. We are using Outlook 2000 on 
the XP platform.

I researched and can't seem to come up with a solution. 
We are not using RTF (rich text format) and that seems to 
be the only configuration associated with this problem 
that I can find. We are using plain text and it still 
happens when we forward an email w/ an attachment and 
reset it to send via plain text.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.


0
vandusie (5)
12/3/2003 9:16:40 PM
outlook 87535 articles. 10 followers. Follow

6 Replies
680 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 15

Use plain text or html format and disable Word as your e-mail editor.  If it
still occours, it could be one of the following.

1) You are connecting to a Microsoft Exchange 5.5 and the Internet Mail
Connector is configure to send HTML.  This checkbox has a nasty side effect
of RTF'ing the message.

2) The contact name in the address book (contacts/personal address book) is
marked to always receive outlook rich text.  (e.g. open a contact record in
outlook 2000 corp/workgroup and double click on the email address)

3) If the name is coming from the Global Address List of an Exchange (e.g.
Custom Recipient or Contact), then verify that the always send in Rich Text
is not enabled.

4) <longshot> there is some PDA software (only noticed with Palm) that will
always RTF the message because of the way it integrates into Outlook.  (I
think it has to do with syncing contacts, but it is a pain to isolate to be
abolutely sure.)

-- 
Neo [MVP Outlook]
Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted
w/out reading.


"dusies" <vandusie@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:022d01c3b9e2$be9f1530$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> When we send attachments to people they show up on their
> ends as winmail.dat files. We are using Outlook 2000 on
> the XP platform.
>
> I researched and can't seem to come up with a solution.
> We are not using RTF (rich text format) and that seems to
> be the only configuration associated with this problem
> that I can find. We are using plain text and it still
> happens when we forward an email w/ an attachment and
> reset it to send via plain text.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
>
>


0
12/3/2003 11:20:50 PM
Sometimes using Word as the editor can cause this to 
happen as well.  The best advice is to use Plain Text and 
the Outlook editor, not Word.


>-----Original Message-----
>When we send attachments to people they show up on their 
>ends as winmail.dat files. We are using Outlook 2000 on 
>the XP platform.
>
>I researched and can't seem to come up with a solution. 
>We are not using RTF (rich text format) and that seems to 
>be the only configuration associated with this problem 
>that I can find. We are using plain text and it still 
>happens when we forward an email w/ an attachment and 
>reset it to send via plain text.
>
>Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
>
>
>.
>
0
anonymous (74719)
12/3/2003 11:34:40 PM
I am using plain text and outlook editor.

Thanks, though.
>-----Original Message-----
>Sometimes using Word as the editor can cause this to 
>happen as well.  The best advice is to use Plain Text 
and 
>the Outlook editor, not Word.
>
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>When we send attachments to people they show up on 
their 
>>ends as winmail.dat files. We are using Outlook 2000 on 
>>the XP platform.
>>
>>I researched and can't seem to come up with a solution. 
>>We are not using RTF (rich text format) and that seems 
to 
>>be the only configuration associated with this problem 
>>that I can find. We are using plain text and it still 
>>happens when we forward an email w/ an attachment and 
>>reset it to send via plain text.
>>
>>Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
>>
>>
>>.
>>
>.
>
0
vandusie (5)
12/3/2003 11:52:14 PM
I am using plain text, am not using word, have all 
contacts checked as plain text recipients and am not 
using exchange.

This is driving me crazy. Thanks for your help.
>-----Original Message-----
>Use plain text or html format and disable Word as your e-
mail editor.  If it
>still occours, it could be one of the following.
>
>1) You are connecting to a Microsoft Exchange 5.5 and 
the Internet Mail
>Connector is configure to send HTML.  This checkbox has 
a nasty side effect
>of RTF'ing the message.
>
>2) The contact name in the address book 
(contacts/personal address book) is
>marked to always receive outlook rich text.  (e.g. open 
a contact record in
>outlook 2000 corp/workgroup and double click on the 
email address)
>
>3) If the name is coming from the Global Address List of 
an Exchange (e.g.
>Custom Recipient or Contact), then verify that the 
always send in Rich Text
>is not enabled.
>
>4) <longshot> there is some PDA software (only noticed 
with Palm) that will
>always RTF the message because of the way it integrates 
into Outlook.  (I
>think it has to do with syncing contacts, but it is a 
pain to isolate to be
>abolutely sure.)
>
>-- 
>Neo [MVP Outlook]
>Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account 
will be deleted
>w/out reading.
>
>
>"dusies" <vandusie@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:022d01c3b9e2$be9f1530$a501280a@phx.gbl...
>> When we send attachments to people they show up on 
their
>> ends as winmail.dat files. We are using Outlook 2000 on
>> the XP platform.
>>
>> I researched and can't seem to come up with a solution.
>> We are not using RTF (rich text format) and that seems 
to
>> be the only configuration associated with this problem
>> that I can find. We are using plain text and it still
>> happens when we forward an email w/ an attachment and
>> reset it to send via plain text.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
>>
>>
>
>
>.
>
0
vandusie (5)
12/3/2003 11:56:34 PM
Do you have any 3rd party software that syncs/uses with outlook data?
(Start looking at that longshot for something that is setting a hidden
attribute that you can't see or get at with Outlook in Internet Mail Only
mode.)
-- 
Neo [MVP Outlook]
Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted
w/out reading.


"dusies" <vandusie@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:057901c3b9f9$14c73260$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> I am using plain text, am not using word, have all
> contacts checked as plain text recipients and am not
> using exchange.
>
> This is driving me crazy. Thanks for your help.
> >-----Original Message-----
> >Use plain text or html format and disable Word as your e-
> mail editor.  If it
> >still occours, it could be one of the following.
> >
> >1) You are connecting to a Microsoft Exchange 5.5 and
> the Internet Mail
> >Connector is configure to send HTML.  This checkbox has
> a nasty side effect
> >of RTF'ing the message.
> >
> >2) The contact name in the address book
> (contacts/personal address book) is
> >marked to always receive outlook rich text.  (e.g. open
> a contact record in
> >outlook 2000 corp/workgroup and double click on the
> email address)
> >
> >3) If the name is coming from the Global Address List of
> an Exchange (e.g.
> >Custom Recipient or Contact), then verify that the
> always send in Rich Text
> >is not enabled.
> >
> >4) <longshot> there is some PDA software (only noticed
> with Palm) that will
> >always RTF the message because of the way it integrates
> into Outlook.  (I
> >think it has to do with syncing contacts, but it is a
> pain to isolate to be
> >abolutely sure.)
> >
> >-- 
> >Neo [MVP Outlook]
> >Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account
> will be deleted
> >w/out reading.
> >
> >
> >"dusies" <vandusie@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >news:022d01c3b9e2$be9f1530$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> >> When we send attachments to people they show up on
> their
> >> ends as winmail.dat files. We are using Outlook 2000 on
> >> the XP platform.
> >>
> >> I researched and can't seem to come up with a solution.
> >> We are not using RTF (rich text format) and that seems
> to
> >> be the only configuration associated with this problem
> >> that I can find. We are using plain text and it still
> >> happens when we forward an email w/ an attachment and
> >> reset it to send via plain text.
> >>
> >> Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> >.
> >


0
12/4/2003 1:05:48 AM
oh, and a custom form may cause this issue as well.
-- 
Neo [MVP Outlook]
Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted
w/out reading.


"dusies" <vandusie@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:057901c3b9f9$14c73260$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> I am using plain text, am not using word, have all
> contacts checked as plain text recipients and am not
> using exchange.
>
> This is driving me crazy. Thanks for your help.
> >-----Original Message-----
> >Use plain text or html format and disable Word as your e-
> mail editor.  If it
> >still occours, it could be one of the following.
> >
> >1) You are connecting to a Microsoft Exchange 5.5 and
> the Internet Mail
> >Connector is configure to send HTML.  This checkbox has
> a nasty side effect
> >of RTF'ing the message.
> >
> >2) The contact name in the address book
> (contacts/personal address book) is
> >marked to always receive outlook rich text.  (e.g. open
> a contact record in
> >outlook 2000 corp/workgroup and double click on the
> email address)
> >
> >3) If the name is coming from the Global Address List of
> an Exchange (e.g.
> >Custom Recipient or Contact), then verify that the
> always send in Rich Text
> >is not enabled.
> >
> >4) <longshot> there is some PDA software (only noticed
> with Palm) that will
> >always RTF the message because of the way it integrates
> into Outlook.  (I
> >think it has to do with syncing contacts, but it is a
> pain to isolate to be
> >abolutely sure.)
> >
> >-- 
> >Neo [MVP Outlook]
> >Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account
> will be deleted
> >w/out reading.
> >
> >
> >"dusies" <vandusie@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >news:022d01c3b9e2$be9f1530$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> >> When we send attachments to people they show up on
> their
> >> ends as winmail.dat files. We are using Outlook 2000 on
> >> the XP platform.
> >>
> >> I researched and can't seem to come up with a solution.
> >> We are not using RTF (rich text format) and that seems
> to
> >> be the only configuration associated with this problem
> >> that I can find. We are using plain text and it still
> >> happens when we forward an email w/ an attachment and
> >> reset it to send via plain text.
> >>
> >> Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> >.
> >


0
12/4/2003 1:06:28 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

copying files with query(s), the query is still linked to the ori.
When copying or saving a file with a new name that contains query(s), the query keeps linked to the original file. How can the query be copied and linked to the new file. How can this be overcome? ...

Large file edit
How can I retrieve and edit a large text (735 mb) file using Publisher 2003? My computer have 1024mb (SDRAM) memory. Each time I try to load the file via the "from exiting publication" I get the message "Windows is low on memory. save your work and close other programs before you continue working" (all programs are closed)! How much memory does Publisher 2003 require, or what is it's maximum file size capability? Turn off "script blocking" in Norton. Does this error occur in safe mode? Could be a printer driver... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office....

Linking to Another Excel File (File Name Changes)
Hi, I have 2 separate Excel file worksheets. Basically, one file is updated each month and will have a different name (example: File052007 for May, File062007 for June, File072007 for July, etc.). Currently, I'm trying to link cells in my other file to the updated file, but I don't know how to set the link so that it can change each month. I was trying the concatenate or (A1&A2&A3) options to try to link cells together, but haven't had much luck. Here is what the formula should look like: ='C:\FOLDER\[File052007.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1 I made 2 cells in this worksheet ...

winmail.dat #2
From time to time (it happened this morning, I had to re-boot the Exchange server), messages sent internally are received with the body of the message empty and an attachment winmail.dat. Can someone help? Thanks Ghislaine Resplandy I You need to configure message encodig to MIME or RTF Start System Manager > Global Setings > Internet Message Formats> In right pane click on properties and go to Message Formats. "Ghislaine Resplandy" <gresplandy@msn.com> wrote in message news:OYAZxqvREHA.2496@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > From time to time (it happened this morn...

winmail.dat #10
Attachments sent via IMAP are delivered as winmail.dat which is unreadable by recipients. Any solutions to stop this so that file is delivered as sent? On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:06:38 -0400, "Blogman" <@> wrote: >Attachments sent via IMAP are delivered as winmail.dat which is unreadable >by recipients. Any solutions to stop this so that file is delivered as sent? > Change the format of your messages to either plain text or HTML. Do not use Rich Text Format and your problem will disappear. -- <<<SgtRich>>> Chicago, Illinois, USA Thanx, that fixe...

Font Styles Not Showing Up
This is a Windows Question for Word Users..... I have some Third Party Fonts I was using on an old machine that I am retiring and moved them to my new Vista Machine The face has Roman, Bold, Italic, Bold/Italic. I copy the font files into the font directory. In Word (and everything else, only Regular and Bold Italic show up in the font dialog as being available. Then reboot and delete the fonts. Then I installed roman. ----> Word shows (font dialog) all four font styles. Then I installed Bold. ----> Word shows all four font styles. Then I installed Bold Italic. ----...

saving to csv file from excel 2007
I need to save file to csv format to transfer to website...2003 always worked fine - 2007 doesn't - help?? -- jo Hi pourlance Office Button >SaveAs Or Office Button >SaveAs (menu) Other formats Or use F12 Choose CVS in the list and save the file -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "pourlance" <pourlance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11D7C094-BD37-4CBD-8E8B-6C3BB3736581@microsoft.com... >I need to save file to csv format to transfer to website...2003 always worked > fine - 2007 doesn't - help?? > ...

Excel showing old or new version of file for 2
We have a matrix that we've built in Excel. It is a shared workbook. As you open the file, an image of the most recent content appears for just a few seconds, then it reverts to the old content. I believe we have other files where it happens as well, but the old data appears for just a few seconds, then the new data appears. The one I'm most concerned with is the one where the new data shows first, then is overlayed by the old data. I need to be able to get the new data. I have taken a snapshot of the screen via the print screen button, but I'd rather not recreate by hand, a...

Post on newgroups do not show
Hi. I am using windows 7 Home, when I send a post to a newsgroup such as this one, my headers never appear, I have to look down the lists of posts to see if I have an answer. Any ideas on this Thanks and Regards Bob BH2 wrote: > Hi. > I am using windows 7 Home, when I send a post to a newsgroup such as this > one, my headers never appear, I have to look down the lists of posts to see > if I have an answer. Any ideas on this > Thanks and Regards > Bob The Windows Live Mail newsgroup is at: microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop My guess is th...

How to reference a spacific cell in multiple saved excel files.
I have an excel file for each day of the week with certain different values. I need to pull a value from cell "C36" from each of the saved files. I need to put these values in a separate excel file containing only the date and the value of cell C36 for each date. ...

Convert .Doc File To Graphic File?
Is there some software out there (preferably free) that I can use to convert a .doc file (Word 2004) into a jpeg or tiff file? Thanks. Dave Assuming the file is just one page?... Image file formats don't support multiple pages. If it's just 1 page you should already have all the software you need. Generate a PDF from the Word doc, open it in Preview & use Save As to save a copy in either of several graphics formats. Specifics may vary based on your version of OS X. -- HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac "davec" <dave393@verizon.net> wr...

Using Powerpoint 2007
PPS files on webpage open as PPT using PowerPoint 2007. Don't have this same issue when opening the same link from an Office 2003 computer, they run the show only. -- Miroshak ...

How to show field structure on my ER database diagram
hi all, I creating a database flow using Entity Relationship shape diagram. My problem is, how to get my field structure show on my databse digram. Currently, I can see only Primary ID and Field Name WITHOUT field strcuture [example : Character(10) ]. Anyone know w/r I can do that in Ms. visio ? I am using ms visio professional 2003. -- Masita ...

1 file multiple worksheets
I have a workbook with 30 worksheets in it. I need to be able to open it from a web link using the same file, bu each link able to open to a specific worksheet. Is there a way to open a saved workbook by adding a suffix to th specific worksheet. I have tried several things but none work. Here are some examples tha may clarify what I am asking. The saved file is workbook.xls workbook.xls#sheet4 workbook.xls!sheet 6 Thanks, Disma -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I don't speak HTML, but in MSWord, I can put a hyperlink that looks like this: C:\My Documents\excel\boo...

winmail.dat!
When I receive messages in Entourage having attached MSWord and other MSOffice documents, it comes through as a winmail.dat. Not readable by even a text editor, needless to say. Same e-mail coming though gmail, for example, knows what to do with the attachment. Is there some setting in Entourage that I'm overlooking?? My config. OS X 10.4.7 Entourage 2004 v 11.2.5 MS Office 2004 v.11.2 Try using Josh Jacob's free "TNEF's Enough" <http://www.joshjacob.com/macdev/tnef/index.html> application to open it. See this page for more information: <http://www.entour...

Importing *.DBX files
I originally though that the post on Dec 06 2009 with same subject descrption is exactly the same situation I have. I now think that it a little different. My computer ran out of space and somehow windows reinstalled itself and I lost outlook express. I backed up all the files and tried to repair the installation but it did not work. I then simply reinstalled Windows in the same directory and discovered the new place where Outlook Express is storing its files. (withe help of the Dec 06 post)Since I have all the *.DAB files (but no *.bak files). I tried to past them in the new ...

Bottom edge of publisher file doesn't print
About the bottom 1/2" of my publisher file gets cropped off. The top and sides print fine. The margin guides are done correctly -- I change them to have no margin at all. I use an HP officejet printer, and don't have this problem with other programs. Thanks. The margins on Publisher are determined by your printer and not Publisher. This is not a Publisher issue, as there are no known printing issues with any version of Publisher. -- "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there!" ...

Not all investment activities show in the list
I am unable to add a short-term cap gains transaction for one of my investments in MS Money Sm Business 2004. The drop-down list does not contain such a transaction. Yet, if I go to the activity pick list first before entering an investment, I can plainly see the various cap gains options. After selecting one then I try to add the investment. When I do, the activity field clears and the resulting pick list does not (again) include any cap gains transactions. Is there any logical explanation/solution for this? Thanks. Bill In microsoft.public.money, Bill Mac wrote: >I am unabl...

Sending a file from the explorer
When I do a right click with my mouse on a file in the explorer, I can send it by mail. In farmer times using Outlook Express, this file was directly sended. Now I have to open my Outlook 2003 and I find the file in my drafts folder but not really send automatically. What can I do? Dumb question, but are you clicking the Send button on the message that appears? It would appear in Drafts only if you created the message but closed it without sending it. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers...

file [?] 04-02-10
Hi all; I created a file & I want to put 2 number at that than use it in another method But it has 2 errors : Error 1 Use of unassigned local variable 'a' Error 2 Use of unassigned local variable 'b' using System; using System.IO; class Program { static void Main(string[] args) { family(); } static public void name() { TextWriter name1 = new StreamWriter("data1.txt"); int a = 3, b = 5; name1.WriteLine(a); name1.WriteLine(b); ...

Import Outlook XP(2003) pst file to Outlook 2000
Just got a laptop with OL 2000 on it. I want to move my pst file from OLXP to my laptop, can this be done with the import function or are the file formats different? PS I don't want to buy another license for Office XP. TIA Just to clarify your subject line: Outlook "XP", that is Outlook from the Office XP suite, is actually Outlook 2002. So we're talking about moving a ..PST file from Outlook 2002 to Outlook 2000 here, right? If so, the .PST formats are exactly the same between those two versions. You can copy or move the .PST to the laptop, make sure it's not m...

ListBox Showing Scroll if 1 item
I have a ListBox that I fill with data from my database. I then set the number of rows attribute to the count so the box is only as large as the number of fields. lbDisplay.Rows = lbDisplay.Items.Count; This works fine. The problem is if the list has 1 item, it shows a dropdown arrow and when you press it, it shows only the one item. If there are 2 or more there is no dropdown arrow. How can I get rid of the dropdown arrow for one entry??? Why does it even show? Thanks, Tom you can't, because it sets the of the number of visible options. 1 = dropdown...

Wave file in GP login
It used to be in past versions there was a welcome.wav file that a voice said "Welcome to Dynamics" when you logged in, and one could edit this file, etc. Is there any way to do this in Version 10? Matt, Check out this blog post by David Musgrave: http://blogs.msdn.com/developingfordynamicsgp/archive/2008/09/09/welcome-to-dynamics-example.aspx -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Want to use Crystal Reports with GP? http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html blog: http://www.victoriayudin.com "Matt Mason" <MattMason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

Outlook 2003 .pst files automatically duplicating
Help! My outlook .pst file has 1.6 gigs of duplicated messages. Outlook will no longer accept any more emails & I can't get into the file to sort out what needs to be deleted. I tried deleting the whole file but then I lost everything - all contacts, address book , all emails etc. Is this a .PST file created in an earlier version of Outlook? If so, 1.6GB is dangerously close to the 2GB limit. Have you tried running scanpst.exe (Inbox Repair Tool) against the file to see if it can fix any errors? Make sure you let the tool make a backup of your file before it repairs anything. ...

List links from source file
I am about to change/move some Excel files and before I do this want to know which other Excel files are linked to them. The Edit Links option only shows links from the destination file. Is there some way of getting a similar listing from a source file? From a similar post from yesterday: http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=4004853F.3236F6C%40msn.com Mary Ann wrote: > > I am about to change/move some Excel files and before I do this want to know which other Excel files are linked to them. The Edit Links option only shows links from the destination file. Is there some way of...