Win XP Outlook 2003 Contact Phone Number formats

If I type in 1 300 ........... or 0418 ....... numbers they are
entered in plain text without formatting nor hyphens just as I want.

When I enter an 8 digit local number Outlook insists on re-formatting
it with an area code in brackets and hyphen after 4 digits. Is there
any way to stop this behaviour. Placing a _ at the beginning stops the
beahviour, now all I need is a non visible _

I even tried unsuccessfully to remove my area code from Control Panel\
Phone and Modem Options
Any help is appreciated.

Cheers
Ian
0
ianm6973 (10)

No. Masking of phone numbers in Outlook is hard coded, based on your default
dialing location. Always has been.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Ian Mitchell" <ianm@melbpc.org.au> wrote in message
> If I type in 1 300 ........... or 0418 ....... numbers they are
> entered in plain text without formatting nor hyphens just as I want.
>
> When I enter an 8 digit local number Outlook insists on re-formatting
> it with an area code in brackets and hyphen after 4 digits. Is there
> any way to stop this behaviour. Placing a _ at the beginning stops the
> beahviour, now all I need is a non visible _
>
> I even tried unsuccessfully to remove my area code from Control Panel\
> Phone and Modem Options
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Cheers
> Ian

0
russval (3097)
1/16/2004 11:36:23 PM
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:36:23 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<russval@mvps.org> wrote:

>No. Masking of phone numbers in Outlook is hard coded, based on your default
>dialing location. Always has been.

Hi Russ,

Thanks for the answer. You answered my problem. I just changed my
default dialing location to one I don't use, and I can now enter phone
numbers in free format.

As I have cable and don't dial out, I don't use my default dialing
location.

Cheers
Ian
0
ianm6973 (10)

outlook blocked access to potentially unsafe item, archive .pst
Tried to open archive in outlook 2003 said file was enormous. "Egro" <Egro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8BC04C1-B005-43CF-ABA5-9C171EA74B9F@microsoft.com... > Tried to open archive in outlook 2003 said file was enormous. As far as I can tell, there is no error message in Outlook 2003 that states a file "is enormous". You should zip a PST before sending or rename it to, say, ".psx" or ".ps_" before you send it. The recipient can undo the steps you took to send it. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...

Outlook problem with XP SP2
I have recently installed Windows XP SP2. Since installing it Outlook will only send email via the account that was the default at the time SP2 was installed regardless of the account selceted from the 'Accounts' dropdown. Outlook refuses to send any email at all if the account in question is removed. Any Thoughts? ...

Formatting Individual Records in Reports
I've tried to "bold" individual records as a way, short of grouping" that I can lable subcategories in my report, simply by making, e.g., a record which is a title occupying a principal text field but has no other fields completed. I've tried conditional formatting, both with field values and expressions, but I can only format one record at a time, that is, when I move farther down the data to format bold a new subcategory title by using conditional formatting, the earlier formatted subcategory title losses its formatting, reverting to the default format for the ...

Custom forms in outlook
Receiving the message "The form you selected cannot be displayed contact your admin." Basically the cache needs to be cleared before the form will display. They have a hotfix for this on outlook 2003 which works (art #833856). However I'm also experiencing the issue in Outlook 2002 (art #305403). I have tried the reg hack and have the latest service packs all to no avail. We are running Windows XP with Office XP on dell machines. Anyone have any ideas? Outlook 2002 SP3 is somewhat subject to the same problem. You didn't say where the form is published. -- Su...

Win 7...to..... Win XP??
Blank Is it possible to install Win XP over Win 7 in a laptop w/o causing any problems?? Thanxxxxx...Rudy//////// Rudy wrote: > Blank Is it possible to install Win XP over Win 7 in a laptop > w/o causing any problems?? Thanxxxxx...Rudy//////// "w/o causing any problems" is ill-defined. It's no problem for me to do a clean installation of Windows 7 over a Windows XP system and continue using it... Is it a problem for you to do a clean installation of Windows 7 over Windows XP, install your applications and restore your data so you can us...

Outlook will not completely shutdown...runs in background
When I doubleclick on Outlook icon in task bar, after I shut down Outlook, I receive the following message: Outlook is not responding. If you are using Exchange server e-mail account, you can cancel pending server requests by clicking the Outlook icon in the noification area, and then clicking cancel server request on the shortcut menu. The only way to stop Outlook completely, is to "end process" in Process tab. I am using an email account that goes through a server for my company. Outlook 2000 did not give me this problem. Thanks for the help ahead of time. Dear Greg: I...

Quick create contact "form"
Is it possible to edit the Quick create form used when creating contacts from within the account primary contact picker ? Otherwise this is a suggestion to make this possible! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Co...

Windows XP keeps restarting
My Windows XP computer shutdown on its own and now it keeps restarting. I can start it in safe mode and have run a virus scan using AVG in safe mode and nothing was found although it was unable to scan some files in the Crypto subdirectory and other security files as it said they were in use. I was going to attempt a Windows XP repair. However my original product disk is SP2 and I have upgraded to SP3. Can I still do a repair from my product disk or do I need an SP3 disk? If I need an SP3 disk can I use any SP3 disk? Do I have to uninstall IE7 before I do this? Is there an...

Outlook and Access
I want to using Access grab information in Outlook Templated Messages and place them into a database. This the newsgroup for Excel new users -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Sanfield.Smith" <Sanfield.Smith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F83CBBBB-44EE-4A7F-AD58-0A2BFFFC63E6@microsoft.com... >I want to using Access grab information in Outlook Templated Messages and > place them into a database. ...

Outlook requires Messenger
Can anyone tell me why Outlook & Outlook Express now force Messenger to pop up? I don't want to use Messenger. The confusing thing is that it pops up with Outlook Express on my XP system (which has Office 2003 installed), which is _exactly_ the same version of OE as installed on my Win2K system (with Office XP). However it doesn't pop up on Win2K Thanks - Brian Long Just go to program files/messenger and rename msmsgs.exe to msmsgs.old. Have not seen messenger since. "Brian Long" <brian_long@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message news:eishDqnPEHA.556@TK2MSFTNG...

Outlook searching for IMAP server, not POP3
Hi My Outlook 2003 on XP has freaked out. By mistake I changed it to default to Outlook Express. When I changed it back to Outlook and tried to open it, it started asking me for a profile. I called my ISP and the tech said it was looking for an IMAP server thinking it was connected to a company mail server not a POP3 server, and he could not help me further as it was now a software problem. I asked if he could not guide me through changing it back to the POP3 info and he said it was deeper than that now. I can't lose this; I have all sorts of emails saved that I need. Anyone...

Spell check in outlook 2003 causes outlook to crash
Hello all, I am running Office 2kSP4 with outlook 2003Sp2. I have a user that every time she runs spell check it crashes outlook, and forces the user to taskmanager to quit it. We are running word as the editor, I have tried uninstall/re-install as well as detect and repair. I have looked at HKLM\software\CF\Microsoft shared\ to make sure the csapi3t1.dll is in the correct folder ( i found in in a google group search). Still no avail. not sure if anyone still trolls here and is up for answering a tough one (in my mind) but thanks for any info. Huh ? Office 2kSP4 with Outlook 2003 SP2. ...

Outlook 2003/Windows XP Pro
Is it possible to start applets from Windows taskbar as it was in previous versions? Assuming you mean the quick launch bar. * right click on the taskbar (area between start and clock) * select toolbars * select quick launch "Sam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:743401c430ab$53aaf470$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to start applets from Windows taskbar as it > was in previous versions? ...

Contacts #3
Hi, In Exch 5.5, I can put SMTP contacts under "categories" for Outlook clients. E.g., Company ABC * user1@abc.com * user2@abc.com Company XYZ * user1@xyz.com * user2@xyz.com But in Exch 2003, all contacts seems to be collapsed under Global Contacts. Is there a way I can get the old behavior again? Regards, Norman Zhang ...

Link problem under MS Office 2002 "Outlook Shortcuts" pane.
Hi - I'm recovering from a fatal hard-drive crash (with a new h-d) and have a few issues remaining. One of those is that, in Outlook 2002, I no longer have access to the Office components via the Outlook Shortcut pane. The main e-mail page comes-up on the right, but when I click on any of shortcut links (Outlook Today, Inbox, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Notes, Deleted Items), the large window on the right turns gray and displays the following message: "Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Outlook could not access the specified folder location. The folder no longe...

Excel 2003 hyperlink problem. #2
I use a Excel sheet that was created oin Excel 2000. I created a hyperlink to a jpg. file that is stored in a local folder. When clicked the hyperlink displayes the photo using a image viewer. My MIS guys installed MS Office 2003 a few weeks ago. Now when I create a hyperlink, the link doesn't work. The link looks the same as the old ones that do work but they just dont work. When I create a new sheet and add a hyperlink, when clicked, i get a meggage warning about clicking on hyperlinks from sources not trusted. then the link works. Seems that Excel 2003 might not link to create hyper...

Install WIN 98 after WIN XP
On my notebook i have installed WIN XPSP2 on partotion C(NTFS). Then I have created partition E on the same hard disk(D is CD drive), and format it to FAT32 situable for instalation of WIN 98. The problem for me is how to install WIN 98 to E drive, without deleting WIN XP, and with boot menu to choose which operating system want to use. I need to install WIN 98 for diagnostic software of some old devices that won´t work on WIN XP. I was thinking to solve this problem in next steps: - create an image of operating system(image of WIN XP) on NTFS file system with some backup a...

Outlook Synchronization 06-25-04
I have CRM 1.2 installed with Outlook 2003 and Sales for Outlook. However the contacts, email, appointments and tasks do not Synch....Can anyone help? when you click go offline in the outlook crm client you will see a dialog box appear. At the bottom is a checkbox saying do not update outlook. Is this clicked? "Gileon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21a7e01c45abc$10614c60$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have CRM 1.2 installed with Outlook 2003 and Sales for > Outlook. However the contacts, email, appointments and > tasks do not Synch....Can an...

Outlook has destroyed my MS Word Address book
I recently installed Outlook on my home computer and have found that I have lost my MS Word address book as a result of this. The issue is that according to MS Word help file (2003) "since I have Outlook installed I must use the Outlook (also 2003) contacts list as my address book". The issue with Outlook is that it is used only to read and respond to office email and I have set it up not to download anything to my machine, nor do I want to co-mingle my personal address list with the corporate address list that is maintained within my contacts list on the office server. Do ...

Connecting/downloading hotmail addresses to Outlook
How do i connect/download my hotmail addresses to Outlook so that I can send photos from Outlook to my Hotmail addresses. I have already used Outlook Connector; I have the "send" icon, but cannot send because it shows no addresses listed in my Outlook. I have Outlook 2003. thanks This might help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883771 Regards, saymon Nicky wrote: > > How do i connect/download my hotmail addresses to Outlook so that I can send > photos from Outlook to my Hotmail addresses. I have already used Outlook > Connector; I have the &quo...

first number in a column not equal to zero
I am have a table that has a row for each day of the month. As I enter the inventory values for the day the last field in the row is the total for the day. What formula will give me the most last field in the totals column not equal to zero?for instance 427T Total 15,358 15,358 4,500 19,520 0 0 0 the formula would return 19520 James Fullmer wrote: > I am have a table that has a row for each day of the month. As I enter the > inventory values for the day the last field in the row is the total for the > day. What formula will give me the most last field in the totals column ...

Outlook and Exchange #6
The MD's for the company want to be able to see other users inboxes which I have setup and works fine, but they also want to be able to see peoples sent items folders but I am unable to find a way. Does anyone have anyb suggestions or ideas? Many Thanks S To access a shared folder that isn't one of the folders listed on the = File | Open | Other User's Folder dialog, the mailbox owner needs to = grant "folder visible" permission to the root of the mailbox and any = other parent folders of the shared folder, as well as appropriate = permission -- at least Reviewer...

Exchange Server 2003
Hi We have 3 Windows 2003 Standard Server. File, Mail and Citrix Server. AD is installed on File and Mail server. When I create user on Exchange Server it gives me error at the very end when I click Finish. It says An Error Occured. Contact your System Administrator. I can't create user. However when I create user on File server it let me create user without Exchange Mail Box. After creating user on File Server it replicates on my Mail Server where I can create Mail Box using Exchange Taks by right click on Created user. Can anybody help me why I am not able to create user on Mail...

right click send mail uses outlook express, not outlook
Anyone know how to change this? I don't want outlook express to be used when I right click, I want it to use outlook2000. Thanks Dave ...

Outlook 2000 Issues
We started updating all of our XP machines to XP SP2 and all the remaining Critical Post SP2 updates. After doing this Outlook 2000 is now acting as though it is pausing connections and therefore not refreshing the folders properly. To load any new mail you have to click on any of the other folders in Oulook and this will load any new messages into the Inbox. The outgoing email is also hanging in the Outbox until you click on another folder on some systems and on all upgraded system has a very visable pause in the outbox of about 10-15 seconds. This was not a problem until the XP SP2 u...