why outlook1.pst and outlook.pst?

Hello,

A friend's PC using Outlook 2003 has 2 .pst files - Outlook.pst and
Outlook1.pst in Documents and Settings\<his name>\Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook..

One is about 1/10 the size of the other and one starts with upper case
letter O and the other with lower case letter o. I cannot remember
which way round.

Why are there 2 .pst files?

Cheers,

Geoff
0
gcox1 (13)

Are both constantly updated? Maybe one is his archive PST file where old
data gets moved during the AutoArchive process. If not maybe he created one
by accident and it's just sitting there unused.

"Geoff Cox" <gcox@freeuk.com.invalid> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> A friend's PC using Outlook 2003 has 2 .pst files - Outlook.pst and
> Outlook1.pst in Documents and Settings\<his name>\Local
> Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook..
>
> One is about 1/10 the size of the other and one starts with upper case
> letter O and the other with lower case letter o. I cannot remember
> which way round.
>
> Why are there 2 .pst files?

0
vince8328 (2732)
12/14/2008 9:02:01 AM
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 04:02:01 -0500, "Vince Averello"
<vince@omegageek.com> wrote:

>Are both constantly updated? Maybe one is his archive PST file where old
>data gets moved during the AutoArchive process. If not maybe he created one
>by accident and it's just sitting there unused.

Thanks Vince - will ask him to check on this.

Cheers,

Geoff

>"Geoff Cox" <gcox@freeuk.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> A friend's PC using Outlook 2003 has 2 .pst files - Outlook.pst and
>> Outlook1.pst in Documents and Settings\<his name>\Local
>> Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook..
>>
>> One is about 1/10 the size of the other and one starts with upper case
>> letter O and the other with lower case letter o. I cannot remember
>> which way round.
>>
>> Why are there 2 .pst files?

0
gcox1 (13)
12/14/2008 5:55:01 PM
"Geoff Cox" <gcox@freeuk.com.invalid> wrote in message

> A friend's PC using Outlook 2003 has 2 .pst files - Outlook.pst and
> Outlook1.pst in Documents and Settings\<his name>\Local
> Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook..
>
> One is about 1/10 the size of the other and one starts with upper case
> letter O and the other with lower case letter o. I cannot remember
> which way round.
>
> Why are there 2 .pst files?

Often happens when a new version of Outlook is installed ot a new mail
profile created.  Ask Outlook which one is in use.  File>Data File
Management.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
12/14/2008 9:14:06 PM
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 16:14:06 -0500, "Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]"
<tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Geoff Cox" <gcox@freeuk.com.invalid> wrote in message
>
>> A friend's PC using Outlook 2003 has 2 .pst files - Outlook.pst and
>> Outlook1.pst in Documents and Settings\<his name>\Local
>> Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook..
>>
>> One is about 1/10 the size of the other and one starts with upper case
>> letter O and the other with lower case letter o. I cannot remember
>> which way round.
>>
>> Why are there 2 .pst files?
>
>Often happens when a new version of Outlook is installed ot a new mail
>profile created.  Ask Outlook which one is in use.  File>Data File
>Management.

Thanks Brian - will get that checked out.

Cheers

Geoff
0
gcox1 (13)

Recurring emails from the same spammer prevents Outlook Express from receiving emails.
Recurring email with different content in the body but all from the same spammer prevents Outlook Express from receiving emails. All other emails begin to flow but when it reaches an email from this specific spammer the following error is generated by outlook express. No more email will flow until this spammers message is manually removed from the user mailbox. I have about 10 emails in a separate folder from the same spammer and moving any one of them into an inbox will stop a flow of email to a pop3 client dead. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for thi...

import pst file #2
yet, another problem with importing a pst file: When I have chosen the file to import I get the message: 'Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use' But I cannot find anywhere to define it when importing??? I obviously made a definition naming the pst file when exporting it. But how do I import the file? How did you create this PST file? Was it ever on a CD? If so, remove its read only attribute. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "carsten" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0dad01c3c034$48890ec0$a001280a@phx.gbl....

Are Outlook On C-Drive
I'm saving a lot of my folders (emails) in my Archivefolder in MS Outlook using in internet email account (Hotmail) I can't access thhem through my Hotmail account anymore because I moved them into my archive folder. Other then through Outlook is tere any other way i can access these folders No, since they are now stored locally on your computer in a pst-file (mail database). You can see the linked location in; File-> Data File Management... If you would like to keep them on the server, you can move them back and disable AutoArchive; Tools-> Options-> tab O...

Outlook Connector, outlook and Hotmail
I posted this yesterday, but it seems to be gone... I can't make outlook connector work with my hotmail account; the 'outlook connector' button in the menu bar only appears occasionally, and i get an error message every time I add my hotmail to outlook 2003 (can't expand folders/ process forbidden). The Pop3 protocol only works for me to receive my hotmail, the server won't allow me to send via outlook 2003. any suggestions? -- Outlookuser1000001 > the menu bar only appears occasionally That would suggest an add-in issue or even a conflict with another add-in ...

Sync. question for .pst file.
If anyone can help, I would like to sync my .pst file from my office PC to my laptop. Now I am using the sync program in Windows 2K and I get the error that says this type of file is unable to be Synchronized. I have done this before, I know you can go into the Registry and change what types of files can and can't be Synchronized. Can anyone tell me where that setting is. It's been a while since I had to do this and I completely forgot. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. P.S. Running Win 2K and Office 2003. ...

Outlook 2000 #100
When I send message with (program in VFP 7.0) with outlook express default i get to send message, but with outlook 2000 i get path not found Thank you ...

Outlook Today #7
I recently installed Office 2000 on a laptop running Windows XP Pro. I am having trouble opening the customize outlook today menu. When I open the Outlook Today Folder, the Customize Outlook Today button appears. When I click on the Customize Outlook Today Button, the menu does not appear. I reinstalled the program but that did not fix the problem. Any solutions??????????????? Thanks Bill OL2000: You Cannot Customize Outlook Today After You Install Critical Update 813489 for Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 Really, is it that hard to use...

Outlook Express
I have 'lost' all my email for the last year+ when I updated from Win 98SE to XP Home. I reviewed the MKB article 312359 but I wasn't able to find any .dbx files on my computer using Explorer. The world won't come to an end but I would like to recover all the missing e-mail. Has anyone had this problem and knows how to fix? Thanks. ...

How do I move current faulty pst to backup and set up a new pst?
Yesterday I had my laptop turn itself off, probably because of overheating. When I started it again Outlook can read but not write to the outlook.pst file. I've tried to run scanpst.exe but it freezes everything but the mouse about 6% in to the first step scan and I have to cold boot the laptop. I've tried copying outlook.pst to a different folder, a usb memory stick and via LAN to another pc but no luck, the copy locks up and never finishes. I have also run chkdsk several times and it recovered some misallocated sectors so something did go wrong with the file system. ...

Old pst file
I have an old pst file saved on cd that I need to get an email address from. I no longer am on an exchange server. Is there a utility for viewing emails in the pst file? Is there a utility that will import the pst file into Outlook Express without having full Outlook on my system? Currently Outlook Express keeps saying to configure the Outlook email client before import. Thanks in advance for any help. OE cannot use PST files. The messages you are getting are correct. Believe them. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Outlook Dummy" <ab@pickapics.com> wrote in message news:...

CRM Slowing Down/Locking Up Outlook
So, I seem to be having an issue where Outlook performance is suffering with the CRM loaded up. It continually locks up and I have to Ctr-Alt-Del to close it and then reopen. And when I have an email with an attachment, it can take as long as a minute to get the email to open, appearing to once again lock up, but ultimately to open. Anyone else experiencing this issue? ...

Check Name returns No Suggestions
To the group: Outlook 2003, Windows XP I type in a name in the To: box and click the Check Names icon and it returns 'No Suggestions' The Order of Check Names Address Lists is set to Contacts first (Address Book > Tools > Options) - kb296948 I have reset the nickname and automatic completion cache - kb287623 I have even deleted some of the auto-complete names - kb292928 Still I get 'No Suggestions' when I type in a name I have in my Contacts. Any assistance or suggestions most welcome. Thank you. John Can you give an example of what you're typing in and wh...

size of .pst file #2
I have attempted to find the answer to this question by searching this group, but to no avail.... Until recently I was running Outlook 2003 with a single pst file. However, given that it has reached 800MB, and since I wanted to split the storage of personal and work emails, I decided to create 2 additional pst files ('personal' and 'work'). I did just that, following which I moved the relevant folders from within my Inbox structure to the two personal folders. To my suprise the original .pst file did not change in size. I shut down, restarted. I also tried to compact it, which...

Outlook on LAN
Is there a good way to copy and paste email messages from one machine to another on a LAN? I know I can forward through the mail server, but it seems silly to send all the way to the ISP and back to send from one room to another. -- Bob Burns Mill Hall PA (email is spamtrap) if you have a shared folder both machines can access, drop the messages into it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http:/...

Outlook 2007 goes offline repeatedly
Have at least 3 user complaining that when they open Outlook it is in the offline mode. Left untouched it will eventually (a few hours later, they say) go on line. I have checked their computers and their connectivity to the domain/servers and everything on that end is ok. Their Outlook settings are ok too. When Outlook goes offline, the icon shows up at the taskbar, but it doesn't (right click) give me the choice to go online again. Restarting the system seems to work. ...

How do you setup outlook
Needing some serious help in setting up my outlook account for email. Name the version and what type of account that you want to use "Jackie" <Jackie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1AF684C3-9A2D-4912-8C6B-136F641B0AA7@microsoft.com... > Needing some serious help in setting up my outlook account for email. In article <1AF684C3-9A2D-4912-8C6B-136F641B0AA7@microsoft.com>, Jackie@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Needing some serious help in setting up my outlook account for email Such as? "Jackie" <Jackie@discussions.micros...

All Outlook CRM Tracked E-mails Copy to One Specific CRM Account?
An unusual occurance in CRM. All e-mails received to Outlookand then promoted, or Tracked as the button is now labled, are being copied to one particular Account that is unrelated. The e-mail are copied correctly to the history of the desired, defined, accounts and Contacts, but also copy to this one particular e-mail as well. As anyone seen anything like this and have any ideas what could be wrong? -- Darryl - dh@mtccrm.com -www.mtccrm.com - Only Microsoft CRM ...

Macros in Outlook
I would like to create a macro in Outlook 2002, to change the m stationary type, depending on the startup profile chosen. Can anyone help please ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Outlook freezes #2
Outlook freezes when I try to change to read a different message or it tries a new dowload of messages. Is this a common problem andf is there a fix? >-----Original Message----- >Outlook freezes when I try to change to read a different >message or it tries a new dowload of messages. Is this a >common problem andf is there a fix? >. >hi. If we have the same problem, if you switch to another program it will go away. ...

Outlook Client will not go Offline
Hi I know that there have been numerous posts regarding this issue, but I can't seem to find a resolution to this particular one, it has only happened on one customer site: Installed MSCRM 1.2 server - great - went like a dream. Installed Sales for Outlook on a W2K client with Office 2000 SR1 SP3 and the required hot fix - Also installed without a problem. When outlook is fired up it is in an online state and can see the MSCRM server data OK. When you attempt to go offline, the following error is given: 'You do not have sufficient permissions or access rights to perform this acti...

How do I designate Outlook Express instead of Outlook for default
In Outlook express it is showing as the default, but after adding Office, a comment indicating that I need to make Outlook the default keeps popping up when I turn on the computer. If you have WinXP, run the following command to easily set the options control appwiz.cpl,,3 "Kathy F" <Kathy F@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD5DCC6C-A5E2-4363-85FE-87812F01E117@microsoft.com... > In Outlook express it is showing as the default, but after adding Office, > a > comment indicating that I need to make Outlook the default keeps popping > up > wh...

Missing emails in inbox outlook 2000
Hi all, I have a user who's had over 100 emails in their inbox. When they came in this morning, there were 4. I cannot find any trace of the emails in any folders, inc. deleted items. I cannot find any trace of them when logging into webmail. Does anyone know what is causing this? I have never seen this before and we have over 400 users. Thanks for any help you can provide. Dave. On 27 May 2004 16:46, "David Mew" wrote: >Hi all, > >I have a user who's had over 100 emails in their inbox. >When they came in this morning, there were 4. I cannot find ...

backup Outlook.pst file if busy
Some users leave their Outlook up overnight & our backup can't pickup a busy outlook.pst file. Can I automatically close Outlook say at 11:00pm before our backups run? Thanks. Doug <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Some users leave their Outlook up overnight & our backup > can't pickup a busy outlook.pst file. Can I automatically > close Outlook say at 11:00pm before our backups run? Some remote-control programs allow this. -- Brian Tillman ...

Outlook PST file empty.
I have 2 .pst files. When I view the file properties in Explorer/File Manager etc they show as 4MB and 40MB in size respectively. When I open them through Outlook (2000, 2002 on NT and XP) both files show as completely empty, and the file size as 0KB. I've run scanpst.exe, and it can't find any problems with the files. Has anyone got any ideas? See if any of the additional tips on the following page help: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the n...

Outlook disappears
Outlook disappears while you are trying to enter data, why?? Using Windows7 and MSOffice Prof2007 Hard to say at this level of detail. Does it crash or does it minimize? See http://www.msoutlook.info/question/317 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "voyager1492" <voyager1492@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D44459CC-023B-437D-A623-0F3927074F52@m...