Why isn't OL2007 e-mail more like Google Mail?

I had a look at a friend's Google Mail Inbox the other day, and it's really
impressive.

E-mails are automatically grouped by conversation.  Better still, when you
read one message, the others in the thread appear as popup tabs above and
below it, which you can enlarge or reduce with one click.  It's truly cool.

(Outlook can't do this unless you create a special search folder, and then
that doesn't work very well.)

Then Google Mail automatically removes the rest of the thread which you
don't want cluttering the window and replaces it with 'Show quoted text',
just like Google Groups.  Again truly cool.

(Outlook does nothing like this, and you have sometimes 100s of lines of
text below getting in the way.  It doesn't even let you specify a maximum
number of lines to truncate the attached thread to when replying.  Even
Windows Mobile lets you do that.)

I'm just surprised Outlook 2007 beta 2 doesn't offer more improvements by
way of e-mail.  Surely we won't have to wait for Outlook 2011 before we seek
this?  By then it'll be old news and everyone will be using Google Mail
instead!  Not good for MS so hopefully they read this or someone can post
this in the beta group.

--
Thanks,
CJSnet

Try Google Quik-e-search� at www.Superhighstreet.com/home
....Finds anything or they buy it for you!

[remove 'teeth' to e-mail me]

0
usenet2815 (51)

Because Google mail is web based and for anyone.  Outlook is the client for
Exchange and will always have different behaviors.  If you like Google mail,
fine, just don't expect anyone else, especially Microsoft to build a clone.
Why would they?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, CJSnet asked:

| I had a look at a friend's Google Mail Inbox the other day, and it's
| really impressive.
|
| E-mails are automatically grouped by conversation.  Better still,
| when you read one message, the others in the thread appear as popup
| tabs above and below it, which you can enlarge or reduce with one
| click.  It's truly cool.
|
| (Outlook can't do this unless you create a special search folder, and
| then that doesn't work very well.)
|
| Then Google Mail automatically removes the rest of the thread which
| you don't want cluttering the window and replaces it with 'Show
| quoted text', just like Google Groups.  Again truly cool.
|
| (Outlook does nothing like this, and you have sometimes 100s of lines
| of text below getting in the way.  It doesn't even let you specify a
| maximum number of lines to truncate the attached thread to when
| replying.  Even Windows Mobile lets you do that.)
|
| I'm just surprised Outlook 2007 beta 2 doesn't offer more
| improvements by way of e-mail.  Surely we won't have to wait for
| Outlook 2011 before we seek this?  By then it'll be old news and
| everyone will be using Google Mail instead!  Not good for MS so
| hopefully they read this or someone can post this in the beta group.

0
MillyS (3228)
6/24/2006 2:58:49 AM
You are kidding, right?

You do make a couple of good feature suggestions, but to compare the two is
not totally conclusive.  They each have their own good qualities, and often
represent different markets.

But then, most of the people I know read their Google Mail with Outlook
because gmail's interface is intolerable, online only, and laced with
advertizing.

Now if you want to talk about Zimbra or Scalix, I'm all ears.

"William Lefkovics [MVP]" <WilliamLefkovicsMVP@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:82440176-721F-4CC4-BC22-41DD37A77A56@microsoft.com...
> You are kidding, right?

No, because the two feature suggestions I made are very good ones.

> You do make a couple of good feature suggestions

Thanks, that's all I was trying to do.  Next step is to get MS to recognise
them.

> but to compare the two is
> not totally conclusive.  They each have their own good qualities, and
> often
> represent different markets.

No reason for MS not to include good features from one in the other though.

> But then, most of the people I know read their Google Mail with Outlook
> because gmail's interface is intolerable, online only, and laced with
> advertizing.

Yes, I'm not suggesting MS change the entire interface to copy Google and
add adverts.

> Now if you want to talk about Zimbra or Scalix, I'm all ears.

Well if they have the 2 features I suggest, then so am I!
--
Thanks,
CJSnet

Try Google Quik-e-searchT at www.Superhighstreet.com/home
....Finds anything or they buy it for you!

[remove 'teeth' to e-mail me]

0
usenet2815 (51)
6/24/2006 11:27:39 AM
Thanks Milly, but these aren't really "different behaviours", they are
enhancements to the way Outlook does things.

Outlook already has the Conversations view which is good, but doesn't work
very well.  Use it in Inbox and you only see the incoming parts of the
conversation!  That's not really a conversation is it.

The best feature of all would be for MS to simply add a detector to replace
all the quoted text below the latest e-mail, with a little drop-down button
like Google's "- Show quoted text -" option.  This is a Godsend.  Outlook
will look the same, still be a client for Exchange, but it's just what I
think is a really cool feature suggestion that will lead to a much cleaner,
clearer, less cluttered user experience.

That after all was one of the reasons they introduced the ribbon.  Do you
have any influence is passing along this small feature request to make it to
Beta 3 of OL2007?  If not I'm going to start a 'Show MS we want Show Quoted
Text' petition!  ;)
--

"Milly Staples - MVP Outlook" <millys@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org>
wrote in message news:uNtCjozlGHA.4484@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Because Google mail is web based and for anyone.  Outlook is the client
> for
> Exchange and will always have different behaviors.  If you like Google
> mail,
> fine, just don't expect anyone else, especially Microsoft to build a
> clone.
> Why would they?
>
> --
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

> reading.
>
> After furious head scratching, CJSnet asked:
>
> | I had a look at a friend's Google Mail Inbox the other day, and it's
> | really impressive.
> |
> | E-mails are automatically grouped by conversation.  Better still,
> | when you read one message, the others in the thread appear as popup
> | tabs above and below it, which you can enlarge or reduce with one
> | click.  It's truly cool.
> |
> | (Outlook can't do this unless you create a special search folder, and
> | then that doesn't work very well.)
> |
> | Then Google Mail automatically removes the rest of the thread which
> | you don't want cluttering the window and replaces it with 'Show
> | quoted text', just like Google Groups.  Again truly cool.
> |
> | (Outlook does nothing like this, and you have sometimes 100s of lines
> | of text below getting in the way.  It doesn't even let you specify a
> | maximum number of lines to truncate the attached thread to when
> | replying.  Even Windows Mobile lets you do that.)
> |
> | I'm just surprised Outlook 2007 beta 2 doesn't offer more
> | improvements by way of e-mail.  Surely we won't have to wait for
> | Outlook 2011 before we seek this?  By then it'll be old news and
> | everyone will be using Google Mail instead!  Not good for MS so
> | hopefully they read this or someone can post this in the beta group.

0
usenet2815 (51)
6/24/2006 11:30:44 AM
Hi CJSNet,

Be sure to send your Office 2007 suggestions, comments and feedback on what you do like or what you find difficult to use directly
to the MS Office Product team by using the 2007 feedback tool from the link below.

The tool allows you to send screenshots and descriptions.  Be sure to include information on what having a changed feature would
enable you to do better, faster, easier and if it's something you'd use daily, once in awhile, etc.

==============
  <<"CJSnet" <usenet@TEETHthe-simpson.tv> wrote in message news:%238ocCF4lGHA.1596@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
"William Lefkovics [MVP]" <WilliamLefkovicsMVP@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:82440176-721F-4CC4-BC22-41DD37A77A56@microsoft.com...
> You are kidding, right?

No, because the two feature suggestions I made are very good ones.

> You do make a couple of good feature suggestions

Thanks, that's all I was trying to do.  Next step is to get MS to recognise
them. >>

--
I hope this helped you,

Bob  Buckland  ?:-)
MS Office system products MVP

  >>*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends<<

LINKS for the 2007 Office System

1. Read about it, try it, or watch the movie :)
the 2007 Microsoft Office system iinfo is at
  http://microsoft.com/office/preview

2. Already have 2007 Office System Beta 2?
Send Microsoft your feedback (with pictures)
  http://sas.office.microsoft.com/

3. Use the  2007  OfficeOnline website  without Office2007

  a.  Install the ActiveX access control
    http://office.microsoft.com/search/redir.aspx?AssetID=XT101650581033
  b. then visit http://officebeta.iponet.net

0
Bob
6/24/2006 2:35:11 PM
Use the Send a Smile options as Bob suggested.  You can include screenshots
of what you are talking about but remember, some of these GUI items are
proprietary to third parties and may involve Microsoft having to license
them.  That can be a huge stumbling block.

--
> [...]

||| (Outlook can't do this unless you create a special search folder,
||| and then that doesn't work very well.)
||| Then Google Mail automatically removes the rest of the thread which
||| you don't want cluttering the window and replaces it with 'Show
||| quoted text', just like Google Groups.  Again truly cool.
||| (Outlook does nothing like this, and you have sometimes 100s of
||| lines of text below getting in the way.  It doesn't even let you
||| specify a maximum number of lines to truncate the attached thread
||| to when replying.  Even Windows Mobile lets you do that.)
||| I'm just surprised Outlook 2007 beta 2 doesn't offer more
||| improvements by way of e-mail.  Surely we won't have to wait for
||| Outlook 2011 before we seek this?  By then it'll be old news and
||| everyone will be using Google Mail instead!  Not good for MS so
||| hopefully they read this or someone can post this in the beta group.

6/24/2006 2:46:01 PM
Milly Staples - MVP Outlook wrote:
> Use the Send a Smile options as Bob suggested.  You can include screenshots
> of what you are talking about but remember, some of these GUI items are
> proprietary to third parties and may involve Microsoft having to license
> them.  That can be a huge stumbling block.

I too would love to see a more Google-esque conversation view and I have
sent it in as a smiley suggestion. It's not that Google has it perfect,
but that their conversation threading is better than Microsoft's. Having
sent items appear in the thread is a wonderful behavior and many others
have requested such a feature. While it can be made to sort of work,
having this be an out-of-the-box behavior would be great.

Brian
"Brian Vallelunga" <brian.vallelunga@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Milly Staples - MVP Outlook wrote:
>> Use the Send a Smile options as Bob suggested.  You can include
>> screenshots of what you are talking about but remember, some of these GUI
>> items are proprietary to third parties and may involve Microsoft having
>> to license them.  That can be a huge stumbling block.
>
> I too would love to see a more Google-esque conversation view and I have
> sent it in as a smiley suggestion. It's not that Google has it perfect,
> but that their conversation threading is better than Microsoft's. Having
> sent items appear in the thread is a wonderful behavior and many others
> have requested such a feature. While it can be made to sort of work,
> having this be an out-of-the-box behavior would be great.
>
> Brian

Yes this is exactly what I meant Brian.  I am sending a smile from Google
Mail too.
--
Thanks,
CJSnet

Try Google Quik-e-searchT at www.Superhighstreet.com/home
....Finds anything or they buy it for you!

[remove 'teeth' to e-mail me]

0
usenet2815 (51)
6/24/2006 10:42:11 PM
I can't quite shake the feeling that OL2007 is a minimalist rehash of
what has gone before.

To me I'd expect these as absolute minimums in a 2007 email program:
- can handle multiple email addresses easily-peasily (eg without crashing)
- can handle these with dedicated folders in order to keep mail separate
and distinct rather than relying on a bundle if not quite so effective
Rules to do so
- can handle chat rooms, forums and news groups equally easily-peasily

- Calendar handling should make it easy to identify duplication should
any arise (especially given that phome, PDA, laptop, workstation, server
may have the same (mostly) appointments.  Identifying dupes easily
whould be a non-demanding operation

- orchestrating input/output, import/export from a variety of media
should also have a pleasant and unambiguous workflow

Bob Buckland ?:-) wrote:
> Hi CJSNet,
>
> Be sure to send your Office 2007 suggestions, comments and feedback on what you do like or what you find difficult to use directly
> to the MS Office Product team by using the 2007 feedback tool from the link below.
>
> The tool allows you to send screenshots and descriptions.  Be sure to include information on what having a changed feature would
> enable you to do better, faster, easier and if it's something you'd use daily, once in awhile, etc.
>
> ==============
>   <<"CJSnet" <usenet@TEETHthe-simpson.tv> wrote in message news:%238ocCF4lGHA.1596@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> "William Lefkovics [MVP]" <WilliamLefkovicsMVP@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:82440176-721F-4CC4-BC22-41DD37A77A56@microsoft.com...
>> You are kidding, right?
>
> No, because the two feature suggestions I made are very good ones.
>
>> You do make a couple of good feature suggestions
>
> Thanks, that's all I was trying to do.  Next step is to get MS to recognise
> them. >>

0
the.deebs (13)
6/25/2006 8:44:37 PM
"deebs" <the.deebs@bogusfalse.noo> wrote in message
>I can't quite shake the feeling that OL2007 is a minimalist rehash of what
>has gone before.

Sorry to say I agree.

> To me I'd expect these as absolute minimums in a 2007 email program:
> - can handle these with dedicated folders in order to keep mail separate
> and distinct rather than relying on a bundle if not quite so effective
> Rules to do so

Hear hear!

> Bob Buckland ?:-) wrote:
>> Hi CJSNet,
>>
>> Be sure to send your Office 2007 suggestions, comments and feedback on
>> what you do like or what you find difficult to use directly
>> to the MS Office Product team by using the 2007 feedback tool from the
>> link below.
>>
>> The tool allows you to send screenshots and descriptions.  Be sure to
>> include information on what having a changed feature would
>> enable you to do better, faster, easier and if it's something you'd use
>> daily, once in awhile, etc.
>>
>> ==============
>>   <<"CJSnet" <usenet@TEETHthe-simpson.tv> wrote in message
>> "William Lefkovics [MVP]" <WilliamLefkovicsMVP@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in message
>>> You are kidding, right?
>>
>> No, because the two feature suggestions I made are very good ones.
>>
>>> You do make a couple of good feature suggestions
>>
>> Thanks, that's all I was trying to do.  Next step is to get MS to
>> recognise
>> them. >>

0
usenet2815 (51)
6/26/2006 12:57:11 AM
"Milly Staples - MVP Outlook" <millys@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org>
wrote in message news:uNtCjozlGHA.4484@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Because Google mail is web based and for anyone.  Outlook is the client
> for
> Exchange and will always have different behaviors.  If you like Google
> mail,
> fine, just don't expect anyone else, especially Microsoft to build a
> clone.
> Why would they?
>
> --
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Because young minds and fresh ideas shouldn't be dismissed. Outlook has an
interface that has been (functionally) unchanged since 1995. Wading through
large sets of incoming e-mail is a chore. Keeping track of long conversation
"threads" is downright impossible. Outlook.... for all its ubiquity.... is
quite possibly the most UNDERUSED piece of software in Office. Nobody uses
to its potential.... and that's largely due to its dinosaur outdated user
interface IMHO.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

0
cmm (62)
6/26/2006 4:06:27 AM
CJSnet <usenet@TEETHthe-simpson.tv> wrote:

> Outlook already has the Conversations view which is good, but doesn't
> work very well.  Use it in Inbox and you only see the incoming parts
> of the conversation!  That's not really a conversation is it.

You can have that in Outlook if you want it.  Just have your outgoing mail
stored in Inbox instead of Sent Items.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
6/26/2006 2:05:09 PM
CJSnet <usenet@TEETHthe-simpson.tv> wrote:

> The best feature of all would be for MS to simply add a detector to
> replace all the quoted text below the latest e-mail, with a little
> drop-down button like Google's "- Show quoted text -" option.  This
> is a Godsend.

That feature is for lazy people who don't understand the value of
cut-and-paste, like to top-post and never trim the previous messages from
their reply.  It's a cosmetic coat of paint hiding a structural behavior
problem.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
> CJSnet <usenet@TEETHthe-simpson.tv> wrote:
>
>> The best feature of all would be for MS to simply add a detector to
>> replace all the quoted text below the latest e-mail, with a little
>> drop-down button like Google's "- Show quoted text -" option.  This
>> is a Godsend.
>
> That feature is for lazy people who don't understand the value of
> cut-and-paste, like to top-post and never trim the previous messages from
> their reply.  It's a cosmetic coat of paint hiding a structural behavior
> problem.

Doesn't mean it isn't extremely useful and that MS shouldn't include it.
Especially seeing as top-posting is a largely Microsoft-supported habit
(that's why my cursor appears in 2 blank lines ABOVE every e-mail and
newsgroup message I reply to in OL/OE). :D
--
Thanks,
CJSnet

Try Google Quik-e-search� at www.Superhighstreet.com/home
....Finds anything or they buy it for you!

[remove 'teeth' to e-mail me]

0
usenet2815 (51)
6/26/2006 2:12:34 PM
deebs <the.deebs@bogusfalse.noo> wrote:

> To me I'd expect these as absolute minimums in a 2007 email program:
> - can handle multiple email addresses easily-peasily (eg without
> crashing)

Once OL 2007 is in production release it will be at least as reliable as
priot Outlooks.  My Outlook installations handle four or five separate
accounts with never a crash.

> - can handle these with dedicated folders in order to keep mail
> separate and distinct rather than relying on a bundle if not quite so
> effective Rules to do so

Rules are quite effective.

> - can handle chat rooms, forums and news groups equally easily-peasily

Not in a business environment.  This is a bad idea.  Outlook is already a
large program.  Let's not introduce additional areas where things can go
wrong.

> - Calendar handling should make it easy to identify duplication should
> any arise (especially given that phome, PDA, laptop, workstation,
> server may have the same (mostly) appointments.  Identifying dupes
> easily whould be a non-demanding operation

I get a duplicate in my calendar maybe once or twice a year, despite syncing
with multiple devices.  When I do, it's nearly trivial to correct the
problem.

> - orchestrating input/output, import/export from a variety of media
> should also have a pleasant and unambiguous workflow

Unless absolutely necessary, import and export should be avoided.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
6/26/2006 2:14:28 PM
And which is why I seldom respond to bottom posted messages - it is a waste
of my time  so I don't bother.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, CJSnet asked:

| "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
|| CJSnet <usenet@TEETHthe-simpson.tv> wrote:
||| The best feature of all would be for MS to simply add a detector to
||| replace all the quoted text below the latest e-mail, with a little
||| drop-down button like Google's "- Show quoted text -" option.  This
||| is a Godsend.
|| That feature is for lazy people who don't understand the value of
|| cut-and-paste, like to top-post and never trim the previous messages
|| from their reply.  It's a cosmetic coat of paint hiding a structural
|| behavior problem.
|
| Doesn't mean it isn't extremely useful and that MS shouldn't include
| it. Especially seeing as top-posting is a largely Microsoft-supported
| habit (that's why my cursor appears in 2 blank lines ABOVE every
| e-mail and newsgroup message I reply to in OL/OE). :D

0
MillyS (3228)

OL2007 and SaveAllMIMENotJustHeaders
Hi, In OL 2003 I used a registry setting [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Options\Mail] "SaveAllMIMENotJustHeaders"=dword:00000001 This allowed me to see the complete email text rather than just the headers, by right clicking on a mail in the mail list and selecting Options from the dropdown menu. The full text would then show in the "Internet Headers" section of the "Message Options" dialog. I have tried to add this registry hack with OL 2007 and it appears to have no effect? erm yes I did change /11.0/ to /12.0/ and yes I did bou...

windows mail not working
I can neither receive nor send messages with Windows Mail.It was working for 2 years and then it stopped about the time a new microsoft email update came in March 2010. It quit mysteriously. Att&T doesn't know what to do, Best Buy can't explain, so I have relunctantly had to open a gmail account. The error code is: The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'j', Account: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'smtp.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E Your question may be better answered in a...

Mails in queue
i got some mails remainig in the queues between Servers in the first organization. first.local SMTP the emails are from one server to the other from: server-1-IS@domain.local to: server-1-IS@domain.local 15teen are one server and the other gots 12 mails remaining in the queues. where should i look for the error why they remain on the servers? Best regards Francesco the communication between these servers (telnet server 25) works fine. what could be the problem where should i activate the protocol and what does IS means in the E-Mail Adress. Francesco "Francesco Fuoco" ...

E mail #3
I get a number of spam messages daily. Lately, however, I started receiving spam emails where the sender was my own email address. Can anyone tell me how I can get rid of this. >-----Original Message----- >I get a number of spam messages daily. Lately, however, >I started receiving spam emails where the sender was my >own email address. Can anyone tell me how I can get rid >of this. >. > If you are getting e-mails from your own e-mail address, either someone that has you in their address book has a virus or you do. The best way to avoid spam is to have a sep...

Mail storage
In WLM in Windows Vista or Windows 7, are retrieved and sent messages actually stored on the hard drive, or is it a web based storage? (OE6 w/XP or Windows Mail w/Vista store messages in user application data) WLM is identical to OE and Windows Mail in that regard. Messages are stored on the hard drive. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "Kenn Kosnikowski" <kennkos@verizon.net> wrote in message = news:u1iK6FcqKHA.4284@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > In WLM in Windows Vista or Windows 7, are retrie...

sending from outlook2007 to mac mail produces garbage
every time I send email from outlook in html or rtf, receivers using mac mail receive garbage, actually unrendered tags. what's the problem and the solution? thanks for the help. see below for a sample. {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\fromhtml1 \fbidis \deff0{\fonttbl {\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Arial;} {\f1\fmodern Courier New;} {\f2\fnil\fcharset2 Symbol;} {\f3\fmodern\fcharset0 Courier New;}} {\colortbl\red0\green0\blue0;\red0\green0\blue255;} \uc1\pard\plain\deftab360 \f0\fs24 {\*\htmltag19 <html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-co...

Bulk mail arrives in HTML Code
I am using MS Outlook 2002 and am part of 3 Yahoo Groups. E-mail from one of the groups arrives in HTML code. It must be a setting in my Outlook because when I forward the e-mails to my husband's Outlook on the same computer they come through fine. I have re-paired Outlook and even uninstalled it and then re-installed it to no avail. Any ideas? Might help if you actually declared what was your problem. "come though fine" [for husband's computer] doesn't tell us what is wrong on YOUR computer. Also mention WHICH version of Outlook you are using. Different v...

Microsoft CRM e-mail integraition
I'm currently in the process of evaluating Microsoft CRM for use in the support function. I've managed to have email sent to an email address from external addresses to be directly routed to an Queue, but email from internal addresses (same Exchange server) does not appear in the queue. Also, I'm wondering if there's an easy way of converting an email to a support case? Regards, Anders Thorsen You can convert an email to a support case by building a custom function using the API. Mike "Anders Thorsen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

How to reset the default placement of newly opened mail
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Email Client: imap I'm new to Entourage and there are frustrating aspects thus far. My latest one is that all newly opened mail pops up over the toolbar that I must click to reply to that mail. Every time I go to reply, delete, etc. I must click on the top of the mail and move it down to a position below the toolbar so I can access the tools. <br><br>Is there a way to reset this default placement of an opened piece of mail? I've searched every tool and can't find a way to do this. Please help...this is so...

ol2007 on windows 7 send trouble
I double check the account settings for OL 2007 on W7 against the setup that works in OL2003 under xp. they are identical however I could not send anything as send email message: the connection to the server was interrupted, if this problem continues, contact your server administrator or internet service provider(ISP) the OL 2007 also seem to have trouble opening some emails - appcrash follows the exact msg I got for send failure was like Task 'Jon Smith - ABC - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this pro...

Excel and Mail Merge
I am using an excel document to create a mail merge in word. I am having problems with my zip codes. My document reflects the correct mailing address, but when merging, any zip code that starts with a "Zero", the zero is dropped, thus an incomplete zip code. I have changed my the formulas in my cells using every option available, I have deleted the address and re-entered it, and I have also created a new document but I still get the same results. Anyone have any suggestions? Debra Dalgleish posted this: In the Mail Merge, after you select your Excel file as a data source, you ...

Cannot remember my e-mail logon password, how do I change it?
I use outlook 2007 and have a need to access my e-mail logon password. I've got the remember password box checked but can not remember the password myself. Is there anyway to retrieve this or change or recreate it? You wuld have to contact your ISP to reset or provide you with the password "Rviviani" <Rviviani@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5DAFCAB-FC29-4FF4-A5E2-AE4DDE6DC2A0@microsoft.com... >I use outlook 2007 and have a need to access my e-mail logon password. >I've > got the remember password box checked but can not remem...

Scrambled e-mails
Occasionally I open an email and it "scrambles" into illegible code. Completely unreadible -- see below. This occurs with only 2 email senders so far but one is my prime contact in another office. At other times this sender's email can be opened and it IS legible. However if I save it and then reopen it later, it scrambles on reopening. Once it has been opened and scrambles, to close without saving changes doesn't help -- from then on it's scrambled. I have to call the sender and have the email resent. Usually this 2nd message scrambles too, othertimes not. ...

Push E-mail
Hi Can anyone advise me on how to setup 'push e-mail' on our Exchange server 2003. We are testing the retrieval of e-mails from our new SPV c600 and it has asked us if we have setup this, but i have never heard of it! Thanks Simon you need service pack 2 on your exchange 2003 server. gerry "Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7968DB8B-D453-4BD7-8FE2-D922D3614734@microsoft.com... > Hi > > Can anyone advise me on how to setup 'push e-mail' on our Exchange server > 2003. We are testing the retrieval of e-mails from o...

Virus infected e-mails from posting in this forum
Off topic but FYI. I put one post in this forum last week with an e-mail address of: microsoft.public.excel.misc@jeffx.net ....so I could trace any e-mail I might receive as a result of posting to this forum. I have already received 2 infected e-mails to this e-mail address. One of the e-mails claimed to be from Microsoft and included Microsoft logos and links in the e-mail along with the infected attachment. I'd be glad to pass along the cleaned e-mails and message headers to anyone interested. Just e-mail me at the above address. Thx. ...

Redirect Exchange E-mails Storage
I have Installed Windows 2003 and Exchange Server on the C: Drive with a capacity of 100GB. I have a RAID 5 drive x with 800 GB. I would like all the e-mails stored on the x drive. Also the default web site(OWA) be on x drive . How can i do this ? thanks This KB will walk you thru how to move database and log files in Exchange 2003 (both should be on separate LUN's from your OS). Moving the default web site is probably unnecessary. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821915 Todd "winwoo3_68" <anugu.pramod@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1160421623.761485.247160@m7g2000...

Error relaying mail using authenticated SMTP
We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We use SBC Yahoo DSL as our ISP. We currently have a dynamically assigned IP address and use DynDNS.org to handle our custom DNS. The problem we have is with sending e-mail to SBC users. SBC's mail servers will not accept connections from dynamically assigned IP addresses. To get around this problem, we setup an SMTP Connector for sbcglobal.net that would forward mail to our ISP's server (smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com). This server requires the use of SMTP authentication. Specifying the credentials when using an account in Outlook ...

Deleting Multiple Junk E-mail Messages in Outlook 2003
I was wondering if one of you have a macro for Deleting Multiple Junk E-mail Messages in Outlook 2003. I`ll apreciate you share it. Thanks in advance. I'm not sure what you're asking -- if the junk mail is in the Junk Mail folder you can just empty the folder. What would the macro need to do that Outlook can't already do? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "Juan Carlos Heredia Mayer" wrote: > I was wondering if one of you h...

OL2007 search
When I search for a contact in Outlook 2007 the name appears but the Company field does not display the company until I first open the contact. If for example I had 200 contacts all called William Smith then in a search opening just one of them only shows that specific company. I would need to open all remaining 199 to see their companies. Or have I missed something? regards, Beemer "Beemer" <Beemer@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:uoMXNu4UIHA.3556@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > When I search for a contact in Outlook 2007 the name appears but the > Company f...

Access to e-mails
Outlook acts like it is posting e-mails to my in-box but nothing shows up and the error window has a "sending and receiving reported error (OX8004013) Unknown error 0x8004013. Other than this Outlook seems to be operating properly. I've seen that before with my account, according to my ISP it was a "bad" e-mail hanging it up. I was able to login to my webmail and clear out the e-mail and that took care of it. >-----Original Message----- >Outlook acts like it is posting e-mails to my in-box but >nothing shows up and the error window has a "sending and ...

E-mail #43
After I veiw my e-mail and I x it out it's on longer in my mail box. It's not in the trash. Its no were to found...............Please HELP. anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > After I veiw my e-mail and I x it out it's on longer in my > mail box. > It's not in the trash. Its no were to > found What do you mean by "x it out"? Do you mean delete it? What version of Outlook? What type of account? Why would you expect a deleted message to not disappear? If you mean by "x it out", cl...

e-mails with <> originator
On the Queue of my Exchange 5.5 server we have been seeing e-mails that have <> in the originator column. Inspection of these e-mails show them to be spam. How can I stop e- mails with no originator? On the outgoing Queue of my Exchange 5.5 server we have been seeing e-mails that have <> in the originator column. Inspection of these e-mails show them to be spam. How can I stop e-mails with no originator? Is this coming from the server or from inside the organization? "Bob Adams" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:094001c3b850$36471b...

Cannot download mail
I am having a problem downloading my mail - I keep on getting the following error messages - please help Task 'brilnet.co.za - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).' Task 'Hotmail - Sending' reported error (0x800CCCF0) : 'Unknown Error 0x800CCCF0' Task 'Hotmail: Folder:Inbox Synchronizing headers.' reported error (0x800CCCF0) : 'The service is currently unavailable. Try again later....

Not receiving my e-mails
I recently downloaded Outlook and had our ATT support person walk me through the steps of configuring it so I could send and receive e-mails. I am only receiving e-mails from ATT and test e-mails within Outlook. I have tried forwarding e-mails from my yahoo account to no avail and simply haven't gotten any of the ones I normally get. Could someone give me some idea of some things I could try to get this situation remedied? Thanks. Do you receive any errors when you try downloading mail? Are you sure that you're downloading mail from the same account that you're sending s...

Regaining mail composed on previous PC
I have just changed my PC and when I opened Windows live mail for the first time on the new PC, I re-created the old extra two e-mail accounts I had on the old machine, in addittion to my Hotmail account and the account I had been using the most has come up as empty. i.e It hasn't kept all my previous messages, but, 2nd the extra account has kept all. Is there a way I can recover those e-mails? -- Thanks and kind regards, Brymor It depends on which mail protocol the account uses. IMAP and = Hotmail/Live (HTTP) accounts should automatically download all existing messages. ...