Why is redirect rule absent from my rules and alerts options?

Outlook 2003 help at
<http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/outlook/HA011502011033.aspx?pid=CH063564671033>
offers a choice of either forwarding or redirecting mail. I want to redirect
mail to a webmail address to access it more easily while travelling. Redirect
suits me better than forwarding, as forwarded mail all appears to come from
me (i.e. original sender is not visible until mail is opened -- bit
inconvenient).

The forwarding option/s are visible among the checkboxes under 'Rules and
alerts' but there is no sign of the 'Redirect it to people or distribution
list' checkbox mentioned in the help text. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Thanks

Jim
0
PhineasP (6)

The "Redirect" is available only with an Exchange Server.
Do you use the Exchange Server?

Nikki

"PhineasP" <PhineasP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Outlook 2003 help at
<http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/outlook/HA011502011033.aspx?pid=CH063564671033>
offers a choice of either forwarding or redirecting mail. I want to redirect
mail to a webmail address to access it more easily while travelling.
Redirect
suits me better than forwarding, as forwarded mail all appears to come from
me (i.e. original sender is not visible until mail is opened -- bit
inconvenient).

The forwarding option/s are visible among the checkboxes under 'Rules and
alerts' but there is no sign of the 'Redirect it to people or distribution
list' checkbox mentioned in the help text. Can anyone shed any light on
this?
Thanks

Jim

Thanks Nikki. No, I don't use the exchange server but that obviously explains
the missing link. Perhaps the help text should draw that distinction between
the self-contained software and external resources.
Guess I go back to forwarding! (sigh)

Jim

"Nikki Peterson" wrote:

> The "Redirect" is available only with an Exchange Server.
> Do you use the Exchange Server?
>
> Nikki
>
> "PhineasP" <PhineasP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Outlook 2003 help at
> <http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/outlook/HA011502011033.aspx?pid=CH063564671033>
> offers a choice of either forwarding or redirecting mail. I want to redirect
> mail to a webmail address to access it more easily while travelling.
> Redirect
> suits me better than forwarding, as forwarded mail all appears to come from
> me (i.e. original sender is not visible until mail is opened -- bit
> inconvenient).
>
> The forwarding option/s are visible among the checkboxes under 'Rules and
> alerts' but there is no sign of the 'Redirect it to people or distribution
> list' checkbox mentioned in the help text. Can anyone shed any light on
> this?
> Thanks
>
> Jim

0
PhineasP (6)
4/28/2009 12:41:01 PM
Click on the no, it wasn't helpful button and tell them why it was not
helpful and they will fix it.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

> Thanks Nikki. No, I don't use the exchange server but that obviously
> explains
> the missing link. Perhaps the help text should draw that distinction
> between
> the self-contained software and external resources.
> Guess I go back to forwarding! (sigh)
>
> Jim
>
> "Nikki Peterson" wrote:
>
>> The "Redirect" is available only with an Exchange Server.
>> Do you use the Exchange Server?
>>
>> Nikki
>>
>> "PhineasP" <PhineasP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Outlook 2003 help at
>> <http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/outlook/HA011502011033.aspx?pid=CH063564671033>
>> offers a choice of either forwarding or redirecting mail. I want to
>> redirect
>> mail to a webmail address to access it more easily while travelling.
>> Redirect
>> suits me better than forwarding, as forwarded mail all appears to come
>> from
>> me (i.e. original sender is not visible until mail is opened -- bit
>> inconvenient).
>>
>> The forwarding option/s are visible among the checkboxes under 'Rules and
>> alerts' but there is no sign of the 'Redirect it to people or
>> distribution
>> list' checkbox mentioned in the help text. Can anyone shed any light on
>> this?
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jim

0
outlookmvp (5838)
4/28/2009 1:12:51 PM
"PhineasP" <PhineasP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Thanks Nikki. No, I don't use the exchange server but that obviously
> explains
> the missing link. Perhaps the help text should draw that distinction between
> the self-contained software and external resources.
> Guess I go back to forwarding! (sigh)

There is an add-in you can buy that will enable redirect for non-Exchange
accounts.  See this:
http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/redirect/ .  Both sender and recipient must
have it, however.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
4/28/2009 1:41:23 PM
or you can forward as attachment. the recipient can then drop the attachment
in their mailbox and reply to it.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "PhineasP" <PhineasP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>> Thanks Nikki. No, I don't use the exchange server but that obviously
>> explains
>> the missing link. Perhaps the help text should draw that distinction
>> between
>> the self-contained software and external resources.
>> Guess I go back to forwarding! (sigh)
>
> There is an add-in you can buy that will enable redirect for non-Exchange
> accounts.  See this:
> http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/redirect/ .  Both sender and recipient must
> have it, however.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
outlookmvp (5838)
4/28/2009 1:59:45 PM
PhineasP;303573 Wrote:
> Outlook 2003 help at
> http://tinyurl.com/c8m9y7
> offers a choice of either forwarding or redirecting mail. I want to
> redirect
> mail to a webmail address to access it more easily while travelling.
> Redirect
> suits me better than forwarding, as forwarded mail all appears to come
> from
> me (i.e. original sender is not visible until mail is opened -- bit
> inconvenient).
>
> The forwarding option/s are visible among the checkboxes under 'Rules
> and
> alerts' but there is no sign of the 'Redirect it to people or
> distribution
> list' checkbox mentioned in the help text. Can anyone shed any light on
> this?
> Thanks
>
> Jim

Jim,

You have to click next for conditions before you will see the selection
for 'Redirect it to people or distribution list'.

Try these directions:

1. In the Outlook Inbox, click on Tools | Rules and Alerts to display
the Rules and Alerts dialog box.

2. In the Rules Wizard dialog box, click on the New Rule button to
display the first step in the rule creation wizard.

3. Click in the Start from a blank rule box, make sure that the Check
messages when they arrive option is selected and click on the Next
button.  The second step in the rule creation wizard will be displayed.
This step lets you set conditions.

4. For the rule to apply to all incoming messages, make sure that none
of the conditions are checked and click on the Next button. A warning
message will be displayed.

5. Click on the Yes button to confirm that you want the rule to be
applied to all incoming email. The third step in the rule creation
wizard will be displayed. This step lets you set actions.

6. In the list of actions, check redirect it to people or distribution
list. The redirect statement will be added to the rule description
area.

7. In the rule description area, click on the blue underlined phrase
people or distribution list to set the address to send messages to.
The Rule Address dialog box will be displayed.

8. An internal address can be selected by choosing it from the list in
the left pane and clicking on the To button. An external address can be
typed directly into the right pane.

9. After specifying the address to forward to, click on the OK button
to return to the Rules and Alerts step 3 dialog box.

10. The redirect action only forwards a copy of the incoming mail to
the specified destination. The original message will remain in your
Inbox.

Hope these directions are clearer for you! Good Luck.

--
Masta7Mail
Yes, I use the "Redirect" and it is wonderful. Forwards just don't

"Nikki Peterson" wrote:

> The "Redirect" is available only with an Exchange Server.
> Do you use the Exchange Server?
>
> Nikki
>
> "PhineasP" <PhineasP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Outlook 2003 help at
> <http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/outlook/HA011502011033.aspx?pid=CH063564671033>
> offers a choice of either forwarding or redirecting mail. I want to
> redirect
> mail to a webmail address to access it more easily while travelling.
> Redirect
> suits me better than forwarding, as forwarded mail all appears to come
> from
> me (i.e. original sender is not visible until mail is opened -- bit
> inconvenient).
>
> The forwarding option/s are visible among the checkboxes under 'Rules and
> alerts' but there is no sign of the 'Redirect it to people or distribution
> list' checkbox mentioned in the help text. Can anyone shed any light on
> this?
> Thanks
>
> Jim

Thanks Masta7, but unfortunately the redirect checkbox is still absent from
the list -- only the 'forward to' options are there. As Nikki indicated above
perhaps the redirect option is only available to accounts using exchange.

Jim

"Masta7Mail" wrote:

> PhineasP;303573 Wrote:
> > Outlook 2003 help at
> > http://tinyurl.com/c8m9y7
> > offers a choice of either forwarding or redirecting mail. I want to
> > redirect
> > mail to a webmail address to access it more easily while travelling.
> > Redirect
> > suits me better than forwarding, as forwarded mail all appears to come
> > from
> > me (i.e. original sender is not visible until mail is opened -- bit
> > inconvenient).
> >
> > The forwarding option/s are visible among the checkboxes under 'Rules
> > and
> > alerts' but there is no sign of the 'Redirect it to people or
> > distribution
> > list' checkbox mentioned in the help text. Can anyone shed any light on
> > this?
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jim
>

> Jim,
>
> You have to click next for conditions before you will see the selection
> for 'Redirect it to people or distribution list'.
>
> Try these directions:
>
> 1. In the Outlook Inbox, click on Tools | Rules and Alerts to display
> the Rules and Alerts dialog box.
>
> 2. In the Rules Wizard dialog box, click on the New Rule button to
> display the first step in the rule creation wizard.
>
> 3. Click in the Start from a blank rule box, make sure that the Check
> messages when they arrive option is selected and click on the Next
> button.  The second step in the rule creation wizard will be displayed.
> This step lets you set conditions.
>
> 4. For the rule to apply to all incoming messages, make sure that none
> of the conditions are checked and click on the Next button. A warning
> message will be displayed.
>
> 5. Click on the Yes button to confirm that you want the rule to be
> applied to all incoming email. The third step in the rule creation
> wizard will be displayed. This step lets you set actions.
>
> 6. In the list of actions, check redirect it to people or distribution
> list. The redirect statement will be added to the rule description
> area.
>
> 7. In the rule description area, click on the blue underlined phrase
> people or distribution list to set the address to send messages to.
> The Rule Address dialog box will be displayed.
>
> 8. An internal address can be selected by choosing it from the list in
> the left pane and clicking on the To button. An external address can be
> typed directly into the right pane.
>
> 9. After specifying the address to forward to, click on the OK button
> to return to the Rules and Alerts step 3 dialog box.
>
> 10. The redirect action only forwards a copy of the incoming mail to
> the specified destination. The original message will remain in your
> Inbox.
>
> Hope these directions are clearer for you! Good Luck.
>

> --
> Masta7Mail

0
PhineasP (6)
4/29/2009 5:50:01 AM
Jim,

Ahhhh makes sense. I tested using my Outlook mailbox and I'm using a
hosted Exchange account. You should look into it. It's relatively
inexpensive and I find it's well worth it because I have to have my
e-mail and calendar on more than one computer as well as my
blackberry.

Perhaps that add in that was suggested may work for you.

Good Luck!

--
Masta7Mail

"One or more of the option for this picklist are not in the range of allowed values."
I have error like this "One or more of the option for this picklist are not in the range of allowed values." My code for picklist. var connection = new ActiveXObject('ADODB.Connection'); var connectionString = 'Provider=SQLOLEDB;Server=MYSERVER;Database=MYDB;integrated security=SSPI'; connection.Open(connectionString); var query = 'SELECT intId, strGrupAd FROM tblFirmaGrup'; var rs = new ActiveXObject('ADODB.Recordset'); rs.Open(query, connection, 1, 2); rs.moveFirst(); while (!rs.eof) { var oyIntId= rs.Fields(0).Value; ...

OWA Link redirect issue
I send emails to my exchange server users to view using OWA. if I hyperlink sites that are available in and out of my domain but reside on the same server i get an error.for example, If a user clicks on a hyperlinks in a email within OWA they redirect correctly. say a hyperlink to www.yahoo.com works fine but when I click a link to my own external domain home.dllw.com it fails with a HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden page. here is the link: 1. https://home.dllw.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://home.dllw.com I have followed microsofts kb 817312 and I have a dns record to resolve the home.dllw.c...

Redirecting
Anyone know how to create a file which when opened by Excel 2003 causes it to redirect itself and open a second (csv) file? I know how to get a web browser to do this using http-equiv="REFRESH" but cannot do it within Excel. Many thanks T You can have a macro that in the first workbook that opens the .CSV file and then closes itself: Option Explicit Sub auto_Open() Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\my documents\excel\book1.csv" ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False End Sub If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at: http://...

how to detect who redirects traffic to a aspx page? is this info passed along in request object or can sites anonymously redirect traffic to other sites?
how to detect who redirects traffic to a aspx page? is this info passed along in request object or can sites anonymously redirect traffic to other sites? Hello! > how to detect who redirects traffic to a aspx page? is this info passed > along in request object or can sites anonymously redirect traffic to other > sites? What do you mean by "redirecting traffic"? Linking to a certain page? The page, the user came from can be read from the Referer-Header. For example: User clicks on a link on the page http://example.org/a.html wich leads to http://example.org/b.aspx - s...

Outlook 10 Rule not fully work
I had assigned a rule: when the new email is arrive Forward to "b" except the email from "b" Its work but not all incoming email has been forward! It was a Outlook 2002 SP2 and pop3 client Do you have the same problem? Thanks! rgds, David ...

mailbox redirect URGENT
Hi, Wilma has just take out power in our US office in Boca :-( I have a couple of people who really need email. I said we should have moved their email boxes before, but people seemed to think they were too large. So here's my setup... I have a frontend server here in the UK which receives all mail for my company and then either delivers to boca or here in the UK. I have setup a new user for one of the users and given him the email aliases that he had on his other mail box and told it to create the email box on our server here in the UK, but so far, the mail box doesn't seem...

Rules Wizard #36
I would like to set up a rule that when a message arrives and the to person is say Bob that is moves it to the Bob folder...the problem that I have is that in the to Bob isn't the only name...therefore the message moves to Bob...Is there a way to move the message to Bob folder but also keep it in the original folder ...

forcing a rule when opening outlook via code
The code below runs in an Excel workbook open event. It does so to retrieve the attachments excel needs from the nightly emails. The rule i have set up in Outlook is always unchecked when Excel opens outlook so I put in a line of code to force the rule. it executes the show progress of the rule but nnoe of what the rule is supposed to do is done AND when i go to Tools>Rules the rule is unchecked. How can i force the rule i want to be checked when Outlook is opened via this method? Sub DoThisonOpen() Dim objApp As Outlook.Application Dim objNS As Namespace Dim o...

Selecting multiple options in list box and sending back to table
Hi All, I have created a small database, for recording details about suppliers. Some our suppliers offer more than one service, so i thought the best way to select multiples would be to create a list box. I have changed the properties to allow me to select multiple options, however cannot get the selection to save back to the data table. Any help is much appreicated. What about something like Dim vRow As Variant With Me.YourListBoxName For Each vRow In .ItemsSelected 'Do what you'd like with the selected item. Next vRow End With -- Hope thi...

URL to Case in Workflow Rule
I would like to add a link to a case in an email notification workflow rule. Can anyone advise how to do this? Thank you! Have you found a solutions for this? I am also looking for the same answer. "KristinKiester" wrote: > I would like to add a link to a case in an email notification workflow rule. > Can anyone advise how to do this? > Thank you! ...

Rule to identify a from address
I am using Outlook 2003 and would like to filter mails emanating from a specific address to a folder. I have 2 problems: 1. While I can identify mails coming "through a specific account" but NOT through a specific EMAIL address ... for example an alias belonging to an account! 2. There seems to be no way of MOVING the mail to a folder. The closest ready-made rule is "move a copy to the specified folder". It has been possible to do this for years for years in emails clients like Eudora ... so I cannot believe that this is not possible in Outlook ... Can someone plea...

Adding Context Menu (right click) Options
Hello, I try to add a context menu to an excel sheet. The problem is that I can not identify the current commandbar as it seems that this commandbar is different wether you are in "normal view" or - and that is the problem here - you are in "page Break Preview". If the sheet is in the normal view the following code works fine, but not if I am in the "page Break Preview" Mode. I assume the commandbar will even change if I have a comment in the cell or not and so on ... Is there a way to identify the commandbar that will pop up after the "BeforeRightClick&quo...

Workaround options?
Firstly, sorry for cross-posting, but I was unsure which newsgroup had the best chance of being able to answer this question. I've an addin that adds a button to a toolbar. When the button is pressed, I want to change the right hand side view to be a web page. The way I currently do it is to create a folder under the deleted items folder, and then set the webviewurl. I then display this folder and delete it. This works great on 97/98 and 2000, but on 2002 and 2003 it gives slightly undesirable behaviour. Once the webpage is loaded, I often have to click twice on a folder on the left ...

Alerts When "HOLD" customer makes payment
We have a few customers that are marked as "HOLD" for lack of payment. Is there a way to be notified when that customer actually makes a payment? Thank you. Have you tried using Microsoft Dynamics GP Business Alerts? Go to Microsoft Dynamics GP > Tools > Setup > System > Business Alerts. Best regards, MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com "Benjy" wrote: > We have a few customers that are marked as "HOLD" for lack of payment. Is > there a way to be notified when that custom...

folder redirection
Dear ALL We had migrate the file server which was using the folder redirection one of its drive . The group policy of Folder Redirection is modified with new server's name. The problem is that the Desktops have still the old server's entry & try to sync & shows on task bar as off line. Pl. suggest me any registry editing to remove the entry to solve the issue Regards gaurav -- gaurav_abbot ------------------------------------------------------------------------ gaurav_abbot's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/141088.htm View this thread: ht...

Share Workbook option grayed out
I need to share a workbook that I want to distribute to several users but the "share workbook" option under the tools menu is grayed out. If I create a new file, that option is there but I need to use the workbook that is already created. Any ideas why this option might not be available? I'm using Excel 2003. Thanks. Do you have created lists under data>list in this workbook If so you must convert it/them to a normal range before you can share the workbook -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "WieczKid" <WieczKid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

SOP alert
I am wanting to notify a rep assigned to an order when the order has been fulfilled and/or shipped. has anyone done this and GP business alerts vs triggers, any clarification on that would be great. The difference between an alert and a trigger is that the alerts are generated periodically when conditions are true whereas a trigger is event-driven. Once the event occurs and the initial message is sent, that's it. The alert will continue to send a message as long as the condition is true. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Di-Fi" wrote: > I am wanting to notify a rep assi...

Unable to remove SSL redirect resquest
Hi Admins, I'm trying to upgrade an E2K to an E2K3 using the swing method. The users mainly use OWA and I had an SSL installed with a redirect as in http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Securing-Exchange-Server-2003-Outlook-Web-Access-Chapter5.html I removed the SSL and set the 403;4 to default, but, it still redirects the requests. What is missing? Thank you all, Lipa Hello again, never mind my question, I solved the problem. (I had change my index to https. :$) Thank you anyway Lipa "Lipa" wrote: > Hi Admins, > > I'm trying to upgrade an E2K to an E2K3 ...

Disk Full ALERT ON OPEN WORD DOCUMENT
Hi, Does anyone know how to solve a Disk Full Alert when trying to OPEN any Word Doc? Note: This is not a sDisk Full onSave Alert. This problem has occurred before and the only fix I could find was to reinstall Office X. I am using Office X 10.1.5 on a G5 1.8 dual with 160g HD and 1.5g ram. Disk is definitely NOT full. Disk Full patch when saving does NOT work for this problem. Microsoft gives me more problems than any other software! Anyone know a solution other than reinstall which will only delay the problem happening again? Thanks, Richard I forgot to mention that MS online he...

Application Data redirection
I have a policy set to redirect users desktop and application data folders to a share. The test computer is windows XP running Office 2003. The odd thing is the folders are different on the servers vs what's on the local desktop. The server and desktop also have different files in the \Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook folder, which stores the users archive.pst file.\ The server has the following 2 files in the redirected folder Default Outlook Profile.xml Default Outlook Profile.srs The desktop has these files archive.pst extended.pst Is this behavior by default? Is there a way...

Restricting the user to make just ONE CHOICE in a set of radio buttons, within an option group
As a newbie I took for granted that by simply defining an option group and place a set of radio buttons inside the group of my form, MS Access 2007 will automatically restrict the user to make just ONE choice (like an old - or retro-designed - radio's buttons would work in real life) This seems not be the case, so I kindly ask you guys for some help here. I have really been spending hours to find a solution (i.e. without bothering you) by scanning through 12 th. messages in the public.access news group, however with result = nil. I guess my question could be too simple, or?...

XP Pro power options
Hello there, On an XP Pro sp3 Dell machine, although I set the power options and power schemes to never and also disabled hibernate mode it still goes into standby mode, what could be the problem? Thank you, T You have checked the BIOS settings? Tester wrote: > Hello there, > On an XP Pro sp3 Dell machine, although I set the power options and > power schemes to never and also disabled hibernate mode it still goes > into standby mode, what could be the problem? > Thank you, T One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party applications ma...

outlook rules wizard #7
hi i need to setup an outlooks rule in outlook 2000 (echange 5.5) that forwards emails to a second email account but removes any attachments from the forwarded emails anyone know how to do it? ...

Rule based on cc
I want to apply rules to mails that come to me through distribution list (in which I am a member) and included in cc. (not in To). Can some please let me know as to how to achieve this ? J B J wrote: || I want to apply rules to mails that come to me through distribution || list (in which I am a member) and included in cc. (not in To). || || Can some please let me know as to how to achieve this ? Well the second screen in Outlook 2003 starting with a new blank rule includes the option "When My Name is in the cc field" - you could always try that........ -- Gordon Burgess-Park...

Outlook and Rules.
Hello people, I am having some weird problems with the rules in Outlook. Sometimes they work and sometimes I have create a new rule for the same exact email.. I running Outlook 2007 (12.0.6423.1000) SP2 MSO (12.0.6425.1000) Anyone else having any issues with rules? Thanks Mark What type of email account do you use? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and...