Which version of Microsoft Office #2

I've just bought a PC with Windows XP. I need to upgrade Microsoft Office (I
had Office '97). Can anyone confirm that to have a version that will run and
send/receive emails I'll need Office 2003? Can't get a straight answer from
the shop I go to and I don't want to make a mistake.

Cheers.

Peter

0
peter9277 (12)

To answer your question, and not try to steer you to options you did NOT
inquire about, yes, Office 97 is a qualifying product for Office 2000
through 2003.

You may want to look at 2003 as it is the latest version of Office and has
the longest support available.   Office 2000 has no more mainstream support
and Office XP will be falling out of mainstream support soon.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Peter Brown asked:

| I've just bought a PC with Windows XP. I need to upgrade Microsoft
| Office (I had Office '97). Can anyone confirm that to have a version
| that will run and send/receive emails I'll need Office 2003? Can't
| get a straight answer from the shop I go to and I don't want to make
| a mistake.
|
| Cheers.
|
| Peter

0
MillyS (3228)
2/20/2006 11:12:45 AM
Peter Brown <peter@solvino.com> wrote:

> I've just bought a PC with Windows XP. I need to upgrade Microsoft
> Office (I had Office '97). Can anyone confirm that to have a version
> that will run and send/receive emails I'll need Office 2003? Can't
> get a straight answer from the shop I go to and I don't want to make
> a mistake.

If you decide to keep Office 97, be aware that Outlook 97 will not work for
sending mail with any ISP that requires authentication to the outgoing
(SMTP) server.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16054)
2/20/2006 4:17:11 PM
BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED ME!! I used the links that you gave me and
it worked! For years I thought the only way to use emails was with windows
messaging. The downloads let me use microsoft mail and it working really
well.

> Peter Brown <peter@solvino.com> wrote:
>
>> I've just bought a PC with Windows XP. I need to upgrade Microsoft
>> Office (I had Office '97). Can anyone confirm that to have a version
>> that will run and send/receive emails I'll need Office 2003? Can't
>> get a straight answer from the shop I go to and I don't want to make
>> a mistake.
>
> If you decide to keep Office 97, be aware that Outlook 97 will not work
> for sending mail with any ISP that requires authentication to the outgoing
> (SMTP) server.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
peter9277 (12)

US version of money 04, to aussie vers. ,Will it convert?
I've just upgraded from M2000 to M04 ,with great difficulty ,I kept getting incompatible vers error ,I transferred what I could via QIF files ,finally got it to work losing reports and other stuff. It turns out I really did have a US version I thought was an Aussie(Australian) version, I Bought it at a swap meet.(buyer beware). My Question is will I be able to convert back it to an Aussie version in a few years,or will I run into the same problem again? Jan S Unless things radically change in how international versions of Money are designed, the drill will be exactly the same. &quo...

error message when any office 2007 office app closes.
I have just installed 2007 Office Pro Plus on my win xp (svc pack 2) computer. So far the apps have all worked fine except: after I close the program, (word or powerpoint, etc.) I get a error message and do I want to report this to Microsoft. I looked into the "what does this error report contain" and found that the error code is 0x0000005. That's it. My work is saved like normal I don't find anything missing. Anyone have any clues? -- Damzish ----- On 3/10/08 6:38 PM, in article ACE1805D-69BA-4E3D-83CA-3C7D77CC2260@microsoft.com, "Damzish" <Damzis...

how to convert lotus 1 2 3 data and graphs to excel 2000.
I've tried 'save as' option and 'open, file' option. The data is converted but the 30 odd graphs are not. Regards Martin What are you trying to convert from? Nivek "Welsh non wizard" wrote: > I've tried 'save as' option and 'open, file' option. > The data is converted but the 30 odd graphs are not. > > Regards > Martin ...

Get Latest Mobile In Cheapest Rs.. With 50% discount #2
Get Latest Mobile In Cheapest Rs.. With 50% discount Well If you are A mobile Lover Let's Have a Mobile ''Japanese Mobile Phones'' 'Mobile Affiliate Program'' ''Venture Capital Directory'' '' pcmonde '' '' Bluetooth Marketing'' ''Going Thin Up Top?'' ''J2ME BTree Data Storage'' ''Phone Cell'' '' Telecom network experts'' Just Visit this site and click On your intresting category and get Many More,, Visit :- http://latstmobile.blogspot.com/ ...

Matrix report #2
Hi everyone, I need an item value list per matrix which means I need to know how much in money value of a particular style (SKU) I have. Is there a way to do it? Thank you Rami ...

Outlook Mail in OFFICE 2003
I am not sure what happened, but I now cannot change the strike through function when creating mail. I click on FONTS, and the box before strike through is checked, I click on it and it disappears. I close the page and am back in creating the mail but when I type, it is with strike through. Can anyone help ? What can I do ? You are using Word as the email editor? The easiest way to fix this might be to locate normal.dot and rename it to ..old when both Outlook and Word are closed. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.h...

Downloading Trial Version
I have downloaded and ran the installation software that appears on my Desktop several times and Publisher never shows up in any of the program files or on my Desktop or Start Menu, etc. I have also searched the computer for it. It is important that I have Publisher asap in order to finish a project for a college class... Any suggestions greatly appreciated! ...

Setup cannot remove the older version of Microsoft Office Pro 2010
With Windows 7 Ult (X64), I have MS Office Ult 2007 (X86) installed. I am trying to install MS Office Pro 2010 (X86). I selected an 'upgrade' install and it failed with the subject line message. I then tried to uninstall Office 2007 from control panel; same result. Log shows: Description Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 setup did not complete successfully. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Problem signature Problem Event Name: Office12Setup Problem Signature 01: {91140000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE} Problem Signature 02: 14.0.4763.1000 Problem Signature...

creating a drop down list #2
I would like to create a list of drop downs for a single cell but im a novice and don't know how to do that or where to look for help.Please help Brian The simplest way: Create your list of drop down items on your worksheet eg in cells Z1 down to Z10 Then in say cell A1 from the Toolbar Data > Validation - in the allow box select List which will open anothe box Source: enter in the box =$Z$:$Z$10 and click OK Click on the arrow to the right of A1 and your drop down list will display your items for selection. You can of course create your list of items anywhere on your worksheet ...

SP1A on version 8.0
I just installed sp1a on version 8.0 The problem is the users that do not have admin rights get a message you do not have rights to run this application. They are set up as power users and all was well before the service pack upgrade. Would like to keep these user out of the admin group ...

crashes in office (excel and word for example) on macbook pro
I have a Macbook Pro that I have had for about 4 months now. I have office installed on it (and have applied all updates including 11.3). Office works fine, but is EXTREMELY finicky. For example, I have found I can't right click on anything without risk of crashing. I have two reproducable crashes. With Excel 1. Open a new workbook 2. Enter something into the first cell (say the number 5), hit enter, and than click back into the cell. 3. Now right click to open the context menu and boom crash. With Word 1. Open a blank document. 2. Type a word or two (say new car) 3. Highlight...

RMS 2.0 slower than 1.3x
Hi all! We just upgrade from RMS 1.3 to 2.0, and I realised that the new version is even slower than the older (1.3). RMS was slow before the upgrade but now it's getting worst and worst. Is there something I could do in SQL SERVER, like a rebuild indexes, to get it to work faster? My HQ Server is hosted on a IBM eServer XEON 3.0 with 2 GB of RAM. Thanks in advance Julien This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0157_01C85DEF.EC27D720 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Yes and a chec...

I have a pre-loaded version of Money2002 but....
.....I would like to know if I can successfully install it on my (soon to be purchsed) new notebook. I have the Cert. of Authenticity. Any ideas? -- Darren Your original computer should have come with a set of install disks for all the preloaded programs. If you still have these disks, you should be able to install Money on your new notebook. Also, you might see if Microsoft Works comes with your new laptop. Most times, the latest version of Money is included as well and you won't need to install the older version unless you like it better. "Darren Vaughan" <Darre...

Getting rid of blank rows withouth deleting them #2
I wanted to find a way to make it automatically because i have to do i in many worksheets, but this works great, Thanks a lot for the hel -- sams ----------------------------------------------------------------------- samsg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1624 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27725 ...

Which version is the current version
PLease confirm which is the current latest fully released version of CRM is it 4.0 or still 3.0 ? Dave CRM 4.0 is the latest version although different companies are still working with CRM 3.0. ------ Aamir Blog = http://mscrmsupport.wordpress.com/ ...

Entourage Sync Issues with Microsoft Cloud

Office personal folders
I have someone that has 2 personal folders on outlook 2003 that have the same info as as the main folder inbox etc with the same emails etc and that chage at the same time. just mirror mimages of the main folder. None of these including the main folder have access to the advanced button when looking at the prefrerences of that folder. anyone know the fix? -- "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Theodor Seuss Geisel, "Dr. Seuss" The Profile is corrupt, create a new one &q...

Windows Live version 12
I can't get used to the latest version of Live Mail (v14?) but liked the previous one (12). Is there any possible it can still be obtained? Thank you -- Jennifer I don't like version 14 either. If you find where to get version 12 please post back here. thank you. "Jennifer" <jennifer@discussions.microsoft> wrote in message news:B2BA351D-A163-4DE1-9C56-36F6539521C5@microsoft.com... > I can't get used to the latest version of Live Mail (v14?) but liked the > previous one (12). Is there any possible it can still be obtained? Thank > you >...

Office doc will only open read only.
For example a user has created a PPT doc, saved it on the fileserver, closed it, but when the next user tries to open and edit the doc they get the error "file in use by the first user. Would you like to open a read only copy?" I've had both users reboot, had the file creator open and resave the doc. No luck. Anyone else having this problem? D Out ...

about radar chart #2
I am new in Excel please let me know about radar chart? for which propouse it will used ? let me some samples ? best You can search in Google for information. For example: http://www.skymark.com/resources/tools/radar_charts.asp http://www.jcrinc.com/subscribers/source.asp?durki=3849&site=48&return=3827 http://onyx.quadbase.com/ECServletDemo/RadarServletDemo.html hassan barjini wrote: > I am new in Excel please let me know about radar chart? for which propouse > it will used ? let me some samples ? > best -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List ...

Lost File #2
I have accidently saved over a publisher file and lost all my work. I am aware that I have temp files that may have the data in it but I cannot access any of them. I get an error message saying it is locked or in use by another person but they are not. Can anyone help >-----Original Message----- >I have accidently saved over a publisher file and lost all my work. I am >aware that I have temp files that may have the data in it but I cannot access >any of them. I get an error message saying it is locked or in use by another >person but they are not. > >Can anyon...

Microsoft Money vs. Quicken?
I am trying to decide between Microsoft Money and Quicken. I will use this to pay bills on-line and reconcile my checking accounts. I would like the program to show a list of monthly bills. As each bill is paid, I want it to be highlighted in a different color. Which program should I get? I have never used either and would appreciate the benefit of your experience. Thank you, Allen Given the specificity of the user interface you want, Excel might be best for your purposes. <steensworld@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1171633995.498548.61180@t69g2000cwt.googlegroups.com... > ...

Number 10 envelopes won't print in Office 07
I've had problems with printing envelopes in Office 2007 for months. I'm using Vista SP2 and a HP D4360. Even after clean installs envelopes will print out of place chopping off my return address, this naturally moves the send to address over as well. I then discontinue using the return address feature and print the address only. Now I can't get envelopes to print at all. I've closed Office, restarted it and that didn't help either. Does anyone know if I'm dealing with a Microsoft or HP problem? And, of course, what is the solution? Your help appre...

Adding Forms from earlier versions
I ues OL 2002. I just downloaded RealEstate Forms that was used in OL 97/98. Can it be used in OL 2002? How can it be installed? IIRC, the add-in forms were a .pst file. Run the .exe and see what happens. I still run the Diary application and I used to run the While You Were Out form from 97/98. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Rick asked: | I ues OL 2002. I just download...

No sound in Office at all.
Hi. This strange problem just started yesterday. Every program in Office from Entourage to Word is completely devoid of sound. And the "provide feedback with sound" option is checked. I tried calling into Microsoft, but since I already called in a whopping 2 times, they refused to help (no surprise there) I thought that it may be a Pentium thing, but I migrated all my data over from my PowerBook G4 2 months ago, and it only started giving me problems yesterday. I'm guessing you've verified through System Preferences that the volume is audible and not muted. See this A...