Where's a similar (useful) MS Word forum / newsgroup?

This newsgroup contains a vibrant and active discussion on MS Outlook,
with frequent replies from Outlook MVPs, expert users, etc.  Although
I've found the microsoft.public.word newsgroup, it seems to be pretty
"dead," without much in the way of meaningful contributions.  Is there
another newsgroup that addresses MS Word issues, which has more
activity?  Or some other good reference source?  I've tried MS's pages
(support.microsoft.com) and lots of Google searches ... but cannot
find help for the specific question I have (which I posted in
microsoft.public.word, but won't repeat here).

Thanks!
Adam

Adam White wrote:
> This newsgroup contains a vibrant and active discussion on MS Outlook,
> with frequent replies from Outlook MVPs, expert users, etc.  Although
> I've found the microsoft.public.word newsgroup, it seems to be pretty
> "dead," without much in the way of meaningful contributions.  Is there
> another newsgroup that addresses MS Word issues, which has more
> activity?  Or some other good reference source?  I've tried MS's pages
> (support.microsoft.com) and lots of Google searches ... but cannot
> find help for the specific question I have (which I posted in
> microsoft.public.word, but won't repeat here).
>
> Thanks!
> Adam

Try some of the more general Office newsgroups. They seem to get more
traffic than the Word-specific ones, from what I've seen. M.p.office.misc
may be a good choice...

0
lanwench (7567)
1/13/2005 4:51:51 PM
Adam White <adam.white@nospam.sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> This newsgroup contains a vibrant and active discussion on MS Outlook,
> with frequent replies from Outlook MVPs, expert users, etc.  Although
> I've found the microsoft.public.word newsgroup, it seems to be pretty
> "dead," without much in the way of meaningful contributions.  Is there
> another newsgroup that addresses MS Word issues, which has more
> activity?  Or some other good reference source?  I've tried MS's pages
> (support.microsoft.com) and lots of Google searches ... but cannot
> find help for the specific question I have (which I posted in
> microsoft.public.word, but won't repeat here).

Underneath microsoft.public.word is a fairly rich hierarchy of newsgroups.
44, in fact.  See
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups/dir?sel=33606782&expand=1 .  It's best
to focus in on the proper group.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16053)

Summing using a macro
I have written a macro to separate a large data set into discrete sections. these sections vary from 2 to 50 rows. I want to sum the values for each section. I know the start / end / row numbers (in R1C1 format) but don't know how to code the sum command: any ideas? James, If you know the cell where you want the formula, then code like this: Cells(myRow, myColumn).Formula = _ "=SUM(" & Range(Cells(RowStart, Col), _ Cells(RowEnd,Col)).Address & ")" Where myRow, myColumn, RowStart, RowEnd, and Col are all variables with valid values. HTH, Bern...

MVPs
I've just recently upgraded versions from 2003 Deluxe to 2006 Deluxe...2003 seems to be the last year people 'liked' the Money product. After reading more and more on this newsgroup, I'm getting nervous that I may have made a mistake and debating about if/how fast I should back peddle and try to get my accounts set up in new 2003 file again. My questions are this: a) Am I right in saying that the general consensus thinks 2003 was the last 'good' product (MVPs you can ignore this question if you want) b) Will 2003 continue to work? Reason I upgraded was I got a ...

Problem Using Sort in macros
I'm new to working with Excel macros, so if this is a dumb question, I apologize. I was asked to automate view changes for a spreadsheet ( by name, by date, by birthday, etc.) Using sort to accomplish the changes worked quite well manually. The problem is that when sort is used in macro (to make the procedure easier), it selects only what it selected at the time the macro was written. If more lines have been added, it ignores them when the macro is run. Is there a solution to this? Thanks Hi Jacob, Instead of sorting a static range, say, A1:A10 try something like: Dim RngToSort a...

URGENT: Ex2000: Information Stores stops when attaching a document using OWA
What can this scenario depend on? As soon as i attach a message to a document, exactly when i have choosen the document to attach and then click ok (before i even try to send it) the information store on the server put�s up an error message and then stops. There is no difference in the type or size of the documents. How are these things connected? Kill your Exchange aware AV for a minute and try the process again. "Peter" <Peter.nospam@news.com> wrote in message news:eVPuwqMOEHA.640@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > What can this scenario depend on? > > As soon as i atta...

How can I scan a text form into a fillable word doc?
I have an HP psc 2210xi all-in-one printer/scanner. I am trying to scan an application (job application) onto my pc (Dell - XP operating system) as a fillable usable form that I can make changes to. I am using MS Office suite 2007. Can I do it in word or should it be a different MS Application? Thank you, Cecelala Cecelala wrote: > I have an HP psc 2210xi all-in-one printer/scanner. I am trying to scan an > application (job application) onto my pc (Dell - XP operating system) as a > fillable usable form that I can make changes to. I am using MS Office suite > 2...

Excel If (or similar)
I have a cell which calculates the amount of working days between 2 dates (start date and end date) using:- =NETWORKDAYS(A1,B1) This works fine. What is happening is that until I fill both dates in I get large negative answers (which I understand). I would like the computation to be clear if the answer is less than 0 as the spreadsheet is difficult to read with all these large menaingless numbers which only become readable when both dates are completed but it may be several weeks before I complete the end date. I know its something to do with the IF command but I can't figure it ...

clip art and word art not showing
i've been trying to update my mthly newsletter and all of sudden i an upable to see any clip art or word art i've placed in the docs (it will show on printed doc's only) very diffcult if not impossible to work on a doc without seeing all items and their placement on a page. i went to other pub docs and found all pub docs saved are doing the same. have uninstalled and reinstalled have done ck on fixes nothing seems to work. has anyone had or have this problem other then me and if you did have and fixed how thanks for a quick response. i have to have this doc out by the 15...

How do I stop columns and rows from unhiding when I am using a fo.
Every time I use a formula to link cells, all of the rows and columns I have hidden are unhidden, and then hide again when I have completed my formula. It is driving me absolutely nuts! How can I keep all of my rows/columns hidden until I need to manually unhide them? instead of hiding the columns why not set the column width to 0.01 thi works as well and will not unhid -- jimbo69 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jimbo693's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1421 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/sh...

Cannot Use 2007 Office Resource Kit Technical Library in Compiled Help format
I downloaded the 2007 Office Resource Kit Technical Library in Compiled Help format, double clicked on it, cleared the Always ask before opening this file check box and clicked Open. All I got was a window with a little icon in the top left. How do I get this to display properly? Thanks for reporting. It appears something is wrong with the latest published version (version 5 published on 6/12/2009). I've passed it on to the Office Resource Kit writer team at Microsoft. In the mean time, you can still access the content on-line via; http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=127122 The c...

phone manager/ similar add on
Hey all , usually when we use Info connector , we have phone manager , so whenever someone call , concerning account pop up. Is there any way , we can integrate such funcationality with crm. So whenever we get call then particular account pop up. regards/ Aami ...

Is it possible to limit length of the list of fonts in MS Office 2004 programs?
I am using MS Office 2004 on a Mac PPC G3 with system 10.4.11. I have hundreds of fonts on my hard drive but only a few dozen installed in the System/Library, Library/Fonts and User/Library/Fonts folders. At any given time most of these fonts are turned off in Font Book as I use only a few at a time. The other fonts are in a separate folder on the hard drive and I install them in one of the libraries and activate them with Font Book as needed. The problem is that when I start any Office program the program takes over 30 seconds whilst it optimizes the font menu and the font menu lists every ...

XML to XML Using XSLT
Hi, I need to transform one xml document into a second xml document. They both have many nodes so xslt works fine, but there is one node I have not figure out how to transform. Here it is: Node in Input File. <FullAddress>JOHN SMITH@19495 BISCAYNE BLVD@MIAMI@FL/33180@USA</FullAddress> The Result should be: <Name>JOHN SMITH</Name> <Address>19495 BISCAYNE BLVD</Address> <City>MIAMI</City> <State>FL</State> <ZipCode>33180</ZipCode> <Country>USA</Country> It seems to me I have to "Split" or "Par...

How to check if mouse wheel has been used, system-wide?
Hi! I have the following task - I need to check time to time if mouse wheel has been used by the user, in ANY application. I have some kind of user activity detector, to do certain actions in application when user is idle for some time. It would be nice to have the ability to check if mouse wheel has been used. I already know how to check for keyboard (GetKeyboardState and compare with previous call's result) and mouse (GetCursorPos and compare with previous call's result). I know how to set up a hook, and can achieve what I need via hook. But, customer says sometimes system runs slo...

Using the registry in Vista.
I haven't started programming to target Vista yet. (First, I need to buy a new computer that has Vista.) Currently, depending on my program, they run on either XP or Server 2003. Can I access the same areas of the registry in Vista? I've been putting everything in local machine. Can I continue to do that? If I can't, what do I do? If I write a service... They start up before a login. Right? So how do I use the registry in that case? >Can I access the same areas of the registry in Vista? You can - if you (the user running your program) has permission to do so. >I&#...

can't open a Word Doc from USB Flash Drive
Cannt open and print a document created in Word 2007 from a USB Flash Drive Copy it to the hard drive and print from there. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "DumbDee" <DumbDee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1205FA9C-E6EF-46C5-A79C-...

make Outlook use alternate calendar
I have found a dll file which can be replaced by Arabic Hijri Calendar dll files in outlook 2003 program folder (program files\microsoft office\office11) in order to view the calendar in Persian Solar Calnedar, however to make outlook use it as its main calendar I have to change the "Regional and lang..." in Control panel which changes the calendar of the whole windows into Hijri lunar calendar which is not an ideal situtation :). So how can I make outlook to use Hijri calendar as its main calendar while the XP calendar is still Georgian? ...

How to set no expiration time to newsgroups in ES2000?

Upgraded Office and Cannot Open Previous Excel & Word Files
In upgrading Office 2000 Premium to SR-1 and SP3 I cannot open my previously saved excel and word files. Can you provide some directions on what I need to do to open previously saved files. Thx They should open without problems. What error message are you getting? On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:54:28 -0700, "leslie st laurent" <lestlauren@hotmail.com> wrote: >In upgrading Office 2000 Premium to SR-1 and SP3 I cannot >open my previously saved excel and word files. Can you >provide some directions on what I need to do to open >previously saved files. > >Thx ...

Similar Sites
Hi, I need sites similar to http://www.b2bcompass.com Thank you bispl Maybe http://www.google.com/ ? BISPLgroup wrote: > Hi, > > I need sites similar to http://www.b2bcompass.com > > Thank you > bispl ...

Using a combo box to determine which field to search.
What I want to do, hopefully, will be simple enough. I want to have a search form that has two fields, one a combo box and the other an unbound field. I want the combo box to list the different fields within a table that I want to search. I want the unbound field to be where I enter the criteria for searching the field that I selected in the combo box. In the past I usually just created an unbound form and created unbound fields for each field and then call the fields to the query. This has always worked well enough but thought It would be easier using 2 fields as opposed to many. ...

Add Pressure seal checks option for use by Great Plains
Great Plains should add Pressure seal checks (where the check and envelope are one should be added to Great Plains. Other current accounting software packages use allow a user to select this option by default. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://ww...

Pop-up using Ajax
I have a FormView and ListView inside an UpdatePanel. I use the FormView to insert records and then DataBind the ListView in Inserted event. I would like to pop-up a simple alert box based on data inserted. I can get a Label to populate in this situation but since it constitutes a warning I would like to pop-up something to get their attention. I have used javascript alerts on page script but since page does not reload it does not work. Can someone point me to help on doing this? Thank you. -- David "DavidC" <dlchase@lifetimeinc.com> wrote in message n...

How to use Money on 2 computers
I would like to give my wife a possibility of managing her cash account with Money on a separate, home computer since the main Money installation is on my laptop that is with me at work. Then, I would like to be able to get her updates to my Money database. Export/import doesn’t look too promising. Even if her Money has only one cash account defined of a different name and I would export/import that account to my Money, you can only move the transactions between the accounts one at the time. Which is a very time consuming process. Is there a better way of doing it? Andre You might wa...

Is there a template that works automatically like in Word 2000?
When I had Word 2000 there was a template I used to keep track of a bill I payed for my aunt and it worked automatically. I have downloaded a Statement of Account template but it won't do the calculations. What am I missing? Thanks, Stephany "=?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhhbnkgQQ==?=" <Stephany A@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:213C7561-C2D0-4D34-9CF8-92DF26B039A0@microsoft.com: > When I had Word 2000 there was a template I used to keep track of a > bill I payed for my aunt and it worked automatically. I have > downloaded a Statement of Account template but it...

Which function to use?
Can someone point me to which function to use to ascertain the following If a cell contains 1 then I would like the results cell to show 20% of yet another cell 2 then I would like the results cell to show 10% of yet another cell 3 then I would like the results cell to show 6.33% of yet another cell Much obliged if you can help Hello, =CHOOSE(A1,B1*20%,C1*10%,D1*6.33%) Regards, Bernd In C1............ =LOOKUP(B1,{1,2,3},{0.2,0.1,0.0633})*A1 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 20:46:10 +0100, "Harry Limey" &l...