Where do the attachments go?

Outlook 2k, WinXP Pro.

Hi there.

When O2k connects to a server and an attachment is downloaded, exactly where
does it go?

I want to design an MS Access application that (amongst other things)
extracts the attachments in your Inbox to another location.

Many thanks.
Keith.
www.keithwilby.org.uk

0
Keith

Assuming that you are working with an IMAP/POP/SMTP mailbox, the attachment
is stored in the Personal Folder (PST) file right along with everything
else.

"Keith" <a@b.com> wrote in message news:c6tqc7$5gb$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> Outlook 2k, WinXP Pro.
>
> Hi there.
>
> When O2k connects to a server and an attachment is downloaded, exactly
where
> does it go?
>
> I want to design an MS Access application that (amongst other things)
> extracts the attachments in your Inbox to another location.
>
> Many thanks.
> Keith.
> www.keithwilby.org.uk

0
neoheart (690)
4/30/2004 3:19:35 PM
Thanks for the response. Is it possible to access the attachments using
Office Automation say from Access?

"neo [mvp outlook]" <neoheart@remove-heart.mvps.org> wrote in message
> Assuming that you are working with an IMAP/POP/SMTP mailbox, the
attachment
> is stored in the Personal Folder (PST) file right along with everything
> else.
>
> "Keith" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> > Outlook 2k, WinXP Pro.
> >
> > Hi there.
> >
> > When O2k connects to a server and an attachment is downloaded, exactly
> where
> > does it go?
> >
> > I want to design an MS Access application that (amongst other things)
> > extracts the attachments in your Inbox to another location.
> >
> > Many thanks.
> > Keith.
> > www.keithwilby.org.uk

0
Keith
5/1/2004 12:28:47 PM
Yes.  If unfamiliar with Outlook's Object Model and comfortable with VB/VBA,
you might give http://www.outlookcode.com/d/index.htm a peek.

"Keith" <a@b.com> wrote in message news:c7055v$bir$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> Thanks for the response. Is it possible to access the attachments using
> Office Automation say from Access?
>
> "neo [mvp outlook]" <neoheart@remove-heart.mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Assuming that you are working with an IMAP/POP/SMTP mailbox, the
> attachment
> > is stored in the Personal Folder (PST) file right along with everything
> > else.
> >
> > "Keith" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> > > Outlook 2k, WinXP Pro.
> > >
> > > Hi there.
> > >
> > > When O2k connects to a server and an attachment is downloaded, exactly
> > where
> > > does it go?
> > >
> > > I want to design an MS Access application that (amongst other things)
> > > extracts the attachments in your Inbox to another location.
> > >
> > > Many thanks.
> > > Keith.
> > > www.keithwilby.org.uk

0
neoheart (690)
5/1/2004 2:46:32 PM
Many thanks. I had already looked there but I can't find anything about
handling attachments.  Could you point me in the right general direction
(sorry to be such a pain ;-)).

> Yes.  If unfamiliar with Outlook's Object Model and comfortable with
VB/VBA,
> you might give http://www.outlookcode.com/d/index.htm a peek.
>
> "Keith" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the response. Is it possible to access the attachments using
> > Office Automation say from Access?
> >
> > "neo [mvp outlook]" <neoheart@remove-heart.mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > Assuming that you are working with an IMAP/POP/SMTP mailbox, the
> > attachment
> > > is stored in the Personal Folder (PST) file right along with
everything
> > > else.
> > >
> > > "Keith" <a@b.com> wrote in message

> > > where

0
Keith
5/2/2004 2:50:59 PM
This is a complex sample:
http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/quarexe.htm

Here is an Outlook VBA macro:

' sample requires an item to be open.
' change activeinspector to activeexplorer
' if working with an item displayed in preview only

Sub SaveAttachment()
  Dim objCurrentItem As Outlook.MailItem
  Dim colAttachments As Outlook.Attachments
  Dim objAttachment As Outlook.Attachment

  Set objCurrentItem = Application.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem
  Set colAttachments = objCurrentItem.Attachments

  For Each objAttachment In colAttachments
    objAttachment.SaveAsFile ("C:\" & objAttachment.FileName)
  Next

  Set objAttachment = Nothing
  Set colAttachments = Nothing
  objCurrentItem.Close (olDiscard)
  Set objCurrentItem = Nothing

End Sub

> Many thanks. I had already looked there but I can't find anything about
> handling attachments.  Could you point me in the right general direction
> (sorry to be such a pain ;-)).
>
> "neo [mvp outlook]" <neoheart@remove-heart.mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Yes.  If unfamiliar with Outlook's Object Model and comfortable with
> VB/VBA,
> > you might give http://www.outlookcode.com/d/index.htm a peek.
> >
> > "Keith" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks for the response. Is it possible to access the attachments
using
> > > Office Automation say from Access?
> > >
> > > "neo [mvp outlook]" <neoheart@remove-heart.mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > attachment
> everything

> exactly

> things)

0
neoheart (690)
5/2/2004 6:04:02 PM
Superb! Many thanks indeed.

> This is a complex sample:
> http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/quarexe.htm
>
> Here is an Outlook VBA macro:
>
> ' sample requires an item to be open.
> ' change activeinspector to activeexplorer
> ' if working with an item displayed in preview only
>
> Sub SaveAttachment()
>   Dim objCurrentItem As Outlook.MailItem
>   Dim colAttachments As Outlook.Attachments
>   Dim objAttachment As Outlook.Attachment
>
>   Set objCurrentItem = Application.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem
>   Set colAttachments = objCurrentItem.Attachments
>
>   For Each objAttachment In colAttachments
>     objAttachment.SaveAsFile ("C:\" & objAttachment.FileName)
>   Next
>
>   Set objAttachment = Nothing
>   Set colAttachments = Nothing
>   objCurrentItem.Close (olDiscard)
>   Set objCurrentItem = Nothing
>
> End Sub
>
> "Keith" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> > Many thanks. I had already looked there but I can't find anything about
> > handling attachments.  Could you point me in the right general direction
> > (sorry to be such a pain ;-)).
> >
> > "neo [mvp outlook]" <neoheart@remove-heart.mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > Yes.  If unfamiliar with Outlook's Object Model and comfortable with
> > VB/VBA,
> > > you might give http://www.outlookcode.com/d/index.htm a peek.
> > >
> > > "Keith" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> using

> > everything

> > exactly

> > things)

0
Keith

News Reader display in the Go Menu
I have recently added the news menu in the go list. It worked once and then dissappeared from the drop down menu. It is also no longer available to add again following the instructions that originally allowed me to add the button. Can anyone help? To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch it, click the "Don't ask me again" box and then click the No button. You may need to reset the menu ...

uuencoded attachment from mailx is embedded instead of attached
Since I applied the August 2004 version of the post ex2000 sp3 roll-up and the latest April Microsoft secuirty patches, when our unix mailx app sends mail to our Exchange 2k server, the uuencoded attachment is embedded in the body of the message instead of being received as an attachment. Being embedded in the message body turns it into unuseable garbage. We have not made any changes to the unix box, only the exchange box. Has anyone else experienced this problem or anyone know what the solution may be? Thanks ...

Printing

Attachment Read only
Hi, When I open a Word attachment - it shows readonly - actually it is not readonly - any ideas? - OL2003 Rgds Dear, It seems you are opening the attachment in OL Reading preview - Open the mail(double click on the mail) and then read the attachment. Hope this helps you more Regards APK "Jsingh" wrote: > Hi, > > When I open a Word attachment - it shows readonly - actually it is not > readonly - any ideas? - OL2003 > > Rgds > Jsingh, you wrote on Tue, 17 Jan 2006 01:03:02 -0800: > When I open a Word attachment - it shows readonly - actually i...

Attach a file in knowledge base
Hi all, Is anyone know that Can we attach a file like PDF or DOC document in an article under the CRM knowledge base? I think it doesn't make sense to only type it in or copy the text into the article. Thanks in advance, DK. I had the same problem and apparently this is not a feature in MS CRM 3.0. According to a CRM representative the answer is that you cannot attach a document to a knowledge base article. "DK" wrote: > Hi all, > > Is anyone know that Can we attach a file like PDF or DOC document in an > article under the CRM knowledge base? I think it doe...

Automaticly open attachment and print attachment
Hello, Is there a way to automaticly open a attachment and print it? I played with the rules wizard but there i can only get the message openend and printed. I use Outlook 2003 Thanks. You'll need a 3rd party utility. Look for solutions here: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/auto.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http:/...

Go to bottom of column
I want to copy and paste a formula into an entire column I have bunch of these to do and to scroll down takes too darn long..is there quick way to select the first cell to copy to and then go to the bottom of the sheet with a select? Thanks Jerry I usually, select entire column, paste the formula to into the column. Then, if you don't want the formula appear in every cells in column. you can go to your bottom of your list and use the short cut, shift+Ctrl+arrow down. By doing that way, you can select all you unwanted formula at once. then, right click->clear content. If you already h...

How to Find the Message that contained The Attachment of a Known File-Name.
Is there some way to search through a list of emails in Outlook 2003 to find the one that contains an attachment of a specific file name? I am often trying to track down the message that accompanied an attachment with a known file-name amongst thousands of messages in one mailbox. Regards, AndyH If attached to an Exchange server, I would, as an admin, use a utility server-side. From the client, I'm not sure Outlook can do it on its own. Hopefully, I'm wrong. Some of the desktop search applications have this functionality though. "AndyH" <andyh@triode.net.au&g...

attachments do not forward
I want to forward e-mails which come to me with attachments. I want these attachments to forward along with the message and they do not. How can I make this happen? Is there a setting to enable this? ...

Oulook 2000 Blocking Attachments! Reposted
Hi ONG, I am running Ms-Outlook 2000 Service pack 3, on a Windows pro 2000 Service pack 4. Standalone machine. Recently my mail client has been blocking my email attachments, i have received two replies from the newsgroup describing Level1 security in Outlook, also a link to a site containing all the releative information regarding the subject. But no matter what i try Outlook still wont allow the access to the attachment. I created the new Key and the necessary String Value, i have even tried to use the ( . ) character before the file ext, also i have tried it without the ( .) character, no...

the new excel help is horrible!!!! (way to go, limiting comments)
how do I get the previoulsy found HELP to list the typical formulas, or use of special characters, like the & symble in excel. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=102753c7-0f12-402b-9da0-3...

Editing attachments in Outlook XP
If you open a Word doc that is attached to an email & make edits to it, does it save it anywhere else other than in the email? Has anyone ever seen it not save the edits at all? It may be in a secure folder under the Temporary Internet Folder as per http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296115 "DonnaC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:052d01c3be9b$44ebd3a0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > If you open a Word doc that is attached to an email & make > edits to it, does it save it anywhere else other than in > the email? > Has anyone ever seen it...

attachments.......
Is there a way to only prevent staff from sending attachments internally? I am using Exchange 2003 and office 2003. Thanks, Crank down the internal message size limits to a value that makes sense to you. On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:03:07 -0500, "Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote: >Is there a way to only prevent staff from sending attachments internally? I >am using Exchange 2003 and office 2003. > > >Thanks, > > ...

Have to scroll to see full list of attachments in Outlook 2007?
A colleague of mine keeps sending me HTML emails in Outlook with multiple attachments, but the full list of attachments does not appear all at once on the screen. There is a scroll bar on the FAR right next to the attachments, and you have to scroll down through the list of attachments to see all of the attachments (I can send a screen shot to better explain this). So for example, if an email has four attachments, I only see the first three on the screen, and then I have to scroll down to see the fourth attachment. This is very confusing as I can easily "miss" an attach...

print out messages with list of attachments
Hello there, when printing out a message/email in full, how do I get outlook t print the list of attachments? Cheers, Wi ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com found it in the newsgroups :-) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821840 ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

remove attachment on reply
Some how I have set my outlook to save the replying email as an atachment and I would prefer it just be in the text form like before. Apparently I changed something or hit something that did this and I wold like to fix it. To delete attachments from messages in Outlook: Double-click on the desired message to open it in its own window. Click on the attachment you want to remove with the right mouse button. Select Remove from the menu. Close the message window. Click OK in the Do you want to save changes? dialog. calender, items, reaccuring, wrote: >Some how I have set my...

.xls attachment
Hi, can anyone help me? I'm quite new to the whole computer/techno life and have been trying for over 2 hours to find what I want! A friend has sent an e-mail with an attachment which has a .xls file extension. However I try, I am unable to open the attachment. I've downloaded various software at 'my machine's' recommendation including a works conversion thing for Word but still no luck. I hope it's something really simple which can be sorted by someone with a bit of a clue but I'm starting to get tied up in knots. I wouldn't mind but the attachment soun...

Creating an Outlook 2007 macro that attaches a signature to new me
Hi, I'm new to macro creation and have several questions. I created code that adds a random signature to an open message window. Now I need to find a way to execute this code every time the user creates a new message window (new message, reply, forward). How can this be done? Following up on this I need to know what I can do with the macro code to "install" it within several Outlook 2007 instances. 1) See the NewInspector event. 2) http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=28 -- Best regards Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook Manage and share your categories:...

Outlooks Attachments
when i attach any attachments in a new e-mail they attach in the writing plane and thus cant be opened by my friends. If i reply the attachments go in the right place - on the subject bar. HELP PLEASE!! change your message format to plain text or html, you're using RTF right now. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdolive.com Expert Zone http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone Search for answers: http://groups.google.com Most recent posts to the Outl...

Forget to attach attachment
Once in awhile, in my hectic days, I forget to attach a file to an email. Is there a way in Outlook to prevent an email from being sent when I use the word 'attachment' in the body of the email when I forget to attach the file? I'd rather not use a 3rd party product to accomplish this. You can build it in with a little VBA code. See http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=553 -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "NH...

Rule that applies to attachments
Outlook 2002. I don't see how to create a rule that applies to attachments. I.e., I want to move a message that has an attachment with a specific name to a specified folder. Am I missing something or is this not possible? ...

Blocked access to unsafe attachments
HELP! I have received an update to a client's office software and now Outlook is telling me that I cannot save the "potentially unsafe attachment." I do not remember doing anything that would cause this and I have tried to tweak the Security Settings to no avail. I need this file for tomorrow and have looked all over MS's site only to see that there is nothing that can be done for a "Level 1 (EXE) file" -- any help would be greatly appreciated. Mac See the following pages for help with this: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm http://www.slipstick....

Outlook XP sending emails with attachments over and over
Hi, outlook xp keeps sending emails with attachments over and over again, the email remains in my outbox. Emails without attachements send normally Another user on my machine has the same problem with outlook, he does not use I hate spam at all. Outlook Express works fine.(but i don't want to use it), webmail works fine as well. while its sending, i get error messages: Task 'mail.iinet.com.au - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0B) : 'Unknown Error 0x800CCC0B' Task 'mail.iinet.com.au - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x8004210B) : 'The operation timed ...

How do I set up a botton on Excel 2003 to go to the next sheet?
I want to create a "Next Page Button" on an Excel 2003 spreadsheet to go to the next sheet. When entries are complete a person can just click the "button" and go to the next steps (next sheet) in the spreadsheet. Thanks, Bruce You CAN press Ctrl/Page down, but if you insist on a button: Sub NextSheet() On Error Resume Next 'may be on last sheet Sheets(Activesheet.Index+1).Activate End Sub "Bruce" wrote: > I want to create a "Next Page Button" on an Excel 2003 spreadsheet to go to > the next sheet. When entries are ...

Identities makes my drive go click, click, click
One of my Office 2001 users cannot launch an Office application=20 without her drive making a strange, recurring sequence of three clicks.=20 Entourage will not open at all, giving the user and I/O error instead.=20 Other Office apps will eventually open. In an effort to move her to Office for OS X, I've tried to copy the = Office=20 2001 Identities folder to another Mac, but it fails to copy both under=20 Mac OS 9.2.2 and Jaguar. It seems to hang on the Database file=20 particularly. If it were simply a corrupted file, I would not expect the odd drive = noise=20 (click, click, click.......