Weblink launch from Ootlook 2003 hangs

WinXP SP3
Outlook 2003, popmail
IE7

Whenever I click a weblink (launch) from within outlook mail message AND IE
explorer is not already open, I get 2 windows. Window 1 is the home page ->
OK. Windows 2 is the URL of the weblink. This window 2 stays blank and "in
process".

What can I do to fix this?

If IE is already open, the windows 2 functions and opens the URL.

Thx

--

*****************
John Lenz

0
JohnLenz (10)

Did you try resetting web settings in IE?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"John L" <JohnLenz@comcast.net> wrote in message
> WinXP SP3
> Outlook 2003, popmail
> IE7
>
> Whenever I click a weblink (launch) from within outlook mail message AND
> IE explorer is not already open, I get 2 windows. Window 1 is the home
> page -> OK. Windows 2 is the URL of the weblink. This window 2 stays blank
> and "in process".
>
> What can I do to fix this?
>
> If IE is already open, the windows 2 functions and opens the URL.
>
> Thx
>

> --
>
> *****************
> John Lenz
> JohnLenz@comcast.net

0
outlookmvp (5838)
3/6/2009 5:51:06 PM
Diane,

I tried tip ... Try resetting Internet Explorer - from either IE's tools,
options menu or Control panel, Internet settings, go to the Programs tab and
click the button to reset web settings.

However, in my IE7 under programs, there is no "reset" button. Where should
I look to reset?

Thx
John
--

*****************
John Lenz

> Did you try resetting web settings in IE?
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
>
> Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>

> "John L" <JohnLenz@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> WinXP SP3
>> Outlook 2003, popmail
>> IE7
>>
>> Whenever I click a weblink (launch) from within outlook mail message AND
>> IE explorer is not already open, I get 2 windows. Window 1 is the home
>> page -> OK. Windows 2 is the URL of the weblink. This window 2 stays
>> blank and "in process".
>>
>> What can I do to fix this?
>>
>> If IE is already open, the windows 2 functions and opens the URL.
>>
>> Thx
>>

>> --
>>
>> *****************
>> John Lenz
>> JohnLenz@comcast.net

0
JohnLenz (10)
3/7/2009 4:06:38 PM

> However, in my IE7 under programs, there is no "reset" button. Where should
> I look to reset?

Tools>internet Options>Advanced>Reset
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16053)
3/8/2009 8:50:16 PM
Brian,

 I completed the reset and it still does not work.

Here is the scenario:

Outlook mail open.
IE7 not open
Select and open a weblink from within a message
2 IE7 windows launch
    1 - Home page
    2 - blank page with hour glass and no URL at the bottom (hangs)

To correct:
Outlook mail open
IE7 open at home page and/or other tabs
Select and open same weblink from within a message
A IE7 tab opens with weblink URL

Why does the first launch of IE7 from outlook not work?

Thx for your help

--

*****************
John Lenz

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "John L" <JohnLenz@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>> However, in my IE7 under programs, there is no "reset" button. Where
>> should I look to reset?
>
> Tools>internet Options>Advanced>Reset
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
JohnLenz (10)
3/12/2009 5:54:54 PM

> I completed the reset and it still does not work.
>
> Here is the scenario:
>
> Outlook mail open.
> IE7 not open
> Select and open a weblink from within a message
> 2 IE7 windows launch
>    1 - Home page
>    2 - blank page with hour glass and no URL at the bottom (hangs)
>
> To correct:
> Outlook mail open
> IE7 open at home page and/or other tabs
> Select and open same weblink from within a message
> A IE7 tab opens with weblink URL
>
> Why does the first launch of IE7 from outlook not work?

Have you tried rebuilding the open action for the HyperText Transfer Protocol
file type?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16053)
3/12/2009 7:53:08 PM
Sounds promising for this problem. Is there a KB to walk me through it?

Thx
John

--

*****************

> "John L" <JohnLenz@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>> I completed the reset and it still does not work.
>>
>> Here is the scenario:
>>
>> Outlook mail open.
>> IE7 not open
>> Select and open a weblink from within a message
>> 2 IE7 windows launch
>>    1 - Home page
>>    2 - blank page with hour glass and no URL at the bottom (hangs)
>>
>> To correct:
>> Outlook mail open
>> IE7 open at home page and/or other tabs
>> Select and open same weblink from within a message
>> A IE7 tab opens with weblink URL
>>
>> Why does the first launch of IE7 from outlook not work?
>
> Have you tried rebuilding the open action for the HyperText Transfer
> Protocol file type?
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
JohnLenz (10)
3/13/2009 4:35:02 PM

> Sounds promising for this problem. Is there a KB to walk me through it?

I don't know, but here's how you can do it.  Open My Computer.  Click
Tools>Folder Options.  Select the File Types tab.  Locate the "URL:HyperText
transfer Protocol" file type and select it.  Click Advanced.  Select the
"open" action and click Edit.  In the "Application used to perform action"
pane, enter

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome

Be sure to include the quotes and spaces.  Check the "Use DDE" box.  Make sure
the "DDE Message" box contains:

"%1",,-1,0,,,,

including quotes and all punctuation.  The Application field should contain
"IExplore".  The "Topic" field on my PC contains "WWW_OpenURL" (without the
quotes) but I don't know if that's necessary.  Click OK, then OK, then OK.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16053)

PST FOR BOTH XP & 2003
I cannot get Outlook XP (2002) to open my PST file that I use on Outlook 2003. Can this file not be read by both versions ? Outlook 2003 has a new PST format that can't be read by earlier versions. However you can create a compatible PST by select File | New | Outlook Data File | Outlook 97/2002 Personal Folders. "Larry" <larry@lkfire.com> wrote in message news:10ovs49cbsida97@corp.supernews.com... >I cannot get Outlook XP (2002) to open my PST file that I use on Outlook > 2003. Can this file not be read by both versions ? > > ...

exchange 2003 smtpsvc1 Ex logfiles
Hi.... Does anyone no any documentation which describes the logfile fields and possible value meanings of the exchange 2003 smtpsvc1 Ex logfiles. Im trying to find out in particular what a sc-status values of 121 and 240 actually mean on incoming mail log entries. thanks for any responses jason Sc-status is the smtp protocol reply code (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/maintain/15x2kada.mspx). I didn't find any specific to the codes 121 and 240, but if you read RFC 2821 (http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/rfc/rfc2821.txt), you'll be able to und...

Migrating site connectors from 5.5 to 2003
Two sites, A and B. A has an old 5.5 and new 2003 server. B just has old 5.5 (for now). Which is typically the best option and why? - Create new Exchange RGC on 2003 server in site A to 5.5 server in site B and create new site connector on 5.5 server in site B to 2003 server in site A. OR - Modify the existing site connectors in both sites so that the local bridgehead in site A is the 2003 server and the remote bridgehead in site B is the 2003 server in site A. This is the last step to get done before removing the 5.5 server from site A. Thanks, Will The answer would be to modi...

Outlook 2003: MAPI error 0X80070057
I get MAPI error 0X80070057 when I try to export my Outlook 2003 calendar to an Excel file or to a CSV file. Exporting from any other Outlook 2003 folder to Excel works fine. Is there a solution for this? I have the all the latest Office 2003 updates and Windows XP updates installed. Thanks, Paul ...

Outlook Launches Installer
I have Outlook 2000 and Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4. When I launch Outlook the Windows installer also start up. It works to cancel the Windows Installer but this is quite annoying. I tried running the Detect and Repair from Add and Remove Programs but got this error: Error 1919. Error configuring ODBC data source: MS Access Database, ODBC error t: Component not found in the registry. Verify that the file MS Access Database exists and that you can access it. After successfully launching Access, I clicked to ignore this message and finished the repair. Unfortunately, the probl...

VBA for comparing data within a range for Excel 2003
Hello, I have a column of data ( Column AD) where the cells will either be blank or have a numerical value in the cell. There is no pattern to which a cell will have a value or not. I am attempting to write code that will compare the data in the cells. In my example let D = the active cell B = the cell with a numerical value 2 above the active cell C = the cell with a numerical value 1 above the active cell A = the cell with a numerical value 3 above the active cell The logic is IF D >B, AND C>A Then AE = "Uptrend" or IF D<B, C<A, Then AE = "...

Synch Issues with Exchange 2003
After a move mailbox from an Exchange 5.5 server to Exchange 2003 users now receive the following Synchronizing error: 14:28:17 Error synchronizing folder 14:28:17 [8004010F-501-8004010F-0] 14:28:17 The client operation failed. 14:28:17 Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store 14:28:17 For more information on this failure, click the URL below: 14:28:17 http://www.microsoft.com/support/pr...-501-8004010f-0 14:28:17 Done 14:28:17 Microsoft Exchange offline address book 14:28:17 Download successful I have followed the link but this has no resolution attached, and searching on the web was fr...

Exchange Server 2003 Hosting Provider
Hi, My company is looking to move from an inhouse Exchange Server 2003 to a hosting provider. We would like to know of any links of reviews of Exchange Server 2003 hosting providers or any recommendations. Thank You in advance, Sam Hi, Try this link http://www.microsoft.com/serviceproviders/certification/hostedexchange.asp "Sam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1bd1e01c45195$1b96a150$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > My company is looking to move from an inhouse Exchange > Server 2003 to a hosting provider. We would like to know >...

accessing our own website SBS 2003 R2
Hi Guys for quite a while we have not been able to access our own external website, from the server or any of the clients, it just comes up page can not be displayed. thie web address is the same as our server domain name. we can access the internal companyweb. Any ideas where i can start to try and solve this? Thanks in advance. Chris What is your internal AD domain name? What is your external domain name used by the website? "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:51A6B71D-1A81-4A40-8B4E-D083EE39D5EA@microsoft.com... > Hi Guys ...

I cannot open weblinks in spamblocker
when I click on a link in spamblocker instead of going to the internet i am taken to my send e-mail as if I am trying to send an e-mail. The weblink is placed in as an e-mail address. Thus I am unable to open any of the links in spamblocker mail. I have tried to find the spamblocker on off switch as i was told to turn it off. I am unable to find .I have looked everywhere. Help!!! marilyn somers;112066 Wrote: > when I click on a link in spamblocker instead of going to the internet i > am > taken to my send e-mail as if I am trying to send an e-mail. The > weblink i...

Exchange 2003 migration problems #3
I have just migrated a Exchange 2000 sp 3to 2003 sp 2. Still having the old one running. Both servers are domain controllers ( the old one will be depromoted when everything works fine ) I moved all mailboxes to the new server and all clients changed ok. Now some of the clients can't delete mails in the deleted items folder and they can't create new folders. Some can't move mails between folders and som get errors when opening folders ( could not locate or resource error ) When they connect with OWA there seems to be no problems. The clients are windows xp pro sp2 with O...

XML Problem in Excel 2003
Hi, I am hoping that someone can help me! I am having a problem using an XML Schema with a "list" of data and then saving it as XML data. I have a schema which I can properly apply to a worksheet. I have tried to tweek the schema so that it will expand the "list" of data but then it will either not let me add the schema to my workspace or will not let me save the data as XML data. I can just get the schema to work for one row of the "list". I was figuring that since Excel can be used to manipulate lists of data that I would be able to define an XML Scema on the...

Outlook 2003 Final Release?
Does anyone know when OL11 will be released in its final stage (before November, when the Beta 2 expires I hope)? This should be a free upgrade for Exchange users, right? This assumes that you can just get the client and that it is not bundled with Office11 only. Best guess is within the next 2 weeks it will hit RTM. If your CALs for Exchange include the latest version of Outlook you will be able to use the CALs for upgrading. No WordMail though unless you also have Word 2003. -- Ken Slovak [MVP - Outlook] http://www.slovaktech.com Lead Author, Professional Outlook 2000 Programming, Wrox P...

Outlook hangs up and won't close completely
After using Outlook, and closing via the "X" in upper right, the program does not close. I can check and confirm this via Task Manager. When I then try to shut down the system, I get the "please wait" advisory, while TM shuts down Outlook. This can take a bit, as sometimes there may be 5-6 instances of Outlook "running" in the TM processes tab, with sizes from 40KB to 16,000+KB. I can shut down the individual outlook processes via TM. Have virus scanned the system (P4 2.2GHz, Win XP Pro). Am also running AOL IM for daughter. TIA, Dave ...

Excel 2003 Database Driver Visual FoxPro 7 on Server 2003.
I have Excell 2003 (office 2003 Enterprise Edition) installed on Server 2003. However when I tried to get external data from a database and use the Foxpro ODBC driver, it tells me to go to the microsoft web site to install it, howerver the microsoft web site does not have a driver to install for Server 2003. I had Office 2002 with the same problem, when I try to get external data, the Foxpro driver does not show up. In Control panel/Administrative tools, the ODBC list of drivers does show the FoxPro database, when I try to use it, it tells me to get the driver from the microsoft web ...

list of aliases Exchange 2003.
Hi! I have Exchange 2003 server, Our Director want to have aliases of all the users on Exchange 2003 server Is there any way to get the list?? Please help Thank you, Chirag Do you mean a list of SMTP addresses in use on your system? If so, check this out: http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/08/finding_smtp_ad.html -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Chirag Shah" <c8me2@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eh43Gcp3EHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi! I have Exchange 2003 server, Our Director...

Moving Works Spreadsheets to Ofice Excel 2003
I operate windows xp and have been using the ms works spreadsheets program. I recently purchased the Office 2003 with excel and want to move the works file to excel. How is this process done. Hi John! In Works you can save to Works 2.0 format which Excel will open or save as an Excel file. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. John, Your works spreadsheets are probably in your my documents area of xp. Go into Excel, open the works spreadshe...

calendar access in exchange 2003 and in owa 2003
Hi What is the easiest way to allow company wide access to everyone's calendar? Also is it possible to open other users calendars with owa in exchange 2003? Also have a user who cant open a public folder,but everyone else can,any clues?There is full control on permissions for this user. thanks mark wrote: > Hi > What is the easiest way to allow company wide access to > everyone's calendar? Everyone needs to share their calendar and assign permissions appropriately (best to set permissions via groups, not individual users) > Also is it possible to open other users ca...

publisher 2003 newsletter to email printing question
When creating a newsletter with Publisher 2003 with text and graphics we distribute it by clicking File..Send email...as message. When employees try to print out the email, it prints out to over 1,000 pages. When we turn it into a PDF, it is only a 7-10 page document. Any suggestions? Yes - send it as a .pdf. Even if it was acting properly, you would only be able to print out the first page. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "hmrtrain" <hmrtrain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C633F81-CFEA-420B-93A0-250B7BA9C0E5@microsoft.com... > Wh...

Money 2002 taking a long time to launch
Hello, I have been using MS Money for about 2 years now, and within the past few days it has started to take much longer to launch than it did before. It takes about 30 seconds for the sign in information to appear on the screen. This used to take about 5 seconds. It only takes about 3 seconds to switch from one Money file to another, so that has not changed, it is just the initial launch that is so slow now. When if first happened the difference in launch time was so much longer that I thought the application had frozen. Thanks in advance for any help you can give. Tom In micr...

Exchange 2003 and Microsoft Outlook Question
I am running an Exchange 2003 Server @ work that I have had some problems with the mailbox store (priv1.edb) and public store (pub1.edb). A little background history here is that wednesday I went into work to find out that two of the drives in my 3 stripe raid 5 were showing faulty. I called Dell support and they helped me get the drives up and going agian. Apperantely the firmware on my Perc2/DC controller was out of date and cause the drives to appear faulty. Well after I got this updated and got the drives back online I was having major problems with Exchange server. I couldn&#...

Outlook 2003 calender problem driving me nuts ! #2
Hi guys, This is my first post here - and my last hope before I go completeley insane ! I am having a problem with MS Outlook 2003 calender. I have looked extensively on the net, but can not see anything remotely like this. Every date in every view is duplicated - in the individual day boxes, and in the view header.I have attached a screen dump. Please, please, please can someone tell me what is causing this ? I have reinstalled numerous times, but it eventually returns ? Thanks in advance ...

Malware and Spyware against Exchange 2003 + SBS 2003
We have a SBS server that only acts an e-mail/exchange server and it doesn't do anything else. The server has been running for about a month or two and we recently ran spyware/virus on the server and found multiple infections. Couple of questions: 1. Is there any reason why this is happening? 2. Is Exchange executing the attachments on its own? 3. Or are the users executing malware attachments through their connection in outlook? Please advise. Thanks. Before I jump to any conclusions here, what did you run to detect the viruses and spyware? If you ran a client scanner such as Nort...

OL 2003 with latest Office Update for Junk Mail #2
Yesterday I downloaded the latest automatic update for Outlook 2003 pertaining to Junk Mail filtering. Prior to the update, using Cached Exchange Mode and a HIGH junk Mail filter setting, OL caught virtually 100% of the spam. Now, it catches significantly less. What gives MS? ...

Shortcuts to folders: Outlook 2003
Hi there, I have just started using Outlook 2003. In Outlook 2002 (XP?) it was possible to create a shortcut link to a folder in the file system into which emails could be dragged and dropped. This does not seem possible in Outlook 2003. Can this be done or not? TIA, Kim. ...