virus sending a "ghost" message

Hello,

I suspect a virus is trying to send a "ghost" message (one
that is not visible in my Outbox - or anywhere else). I
know it because I use multiple ISPs, with their
corresponding e-mail accounts, and when I try to send an e-
mail using one account while connected on a different ISP,
I am informed that the Send task failed. So, how can I
identify and get rid of this "ghost" message? Norton
AntiVirus AutoProtect is unable to detect it.

Thank you in advance

0
saitas (2)

This sounds less like a virus and more like a spam reducing technique used
by your ISPs.  With the massive increase in spam many ISPs only allow you to
send mail from their servers if you are using their service (they can tell
by your IP address).  This keeps them from being used to relay spam
messages.  I am guessing that is your real problem.  If you need to send
e-mail from an account that is not hosted by the ISP you are connected to
you could substitute the ISP's smtp server that you are connected to in the
configuration of the account you need to send from and that should let you
send and it will appear to the receipiant that the e-mail came from the
account you want it to.

I hope that helps.
--
John A. Wolf
jawlaw@hotmail.com

"Mikhail Sa�tas" <saitas@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I suspect a virus is trying to send a "ghost" message (one
> that is not visible in my Outbox - or anywhere else). I
> know it because I use multiple ISPs, with their
> corresponding e-mail accounts, and when I try to send an e-
> mail using one account while connected on a different ISP,
> I am informed that the Send task failed. So, how can I
> identify and get rid of this "ghost" message? Norton
> AntiVirus AutoProtect is unable to detect it.
>
> Thank you in advance

0
jawlaw (8)
10/28/2003 10:16:45 PM
Dear John,

Thank you for answering, but I am afraid I wasn't very=20
clear. The problem is not the ISP blocking my outgoing=20
messages, but the message itself, spam or virus, which my=20
computer is trying to send against my will! Where is it=20
hidden and how to remove it? I am using Outlook 2003.

Best regards,

Mikhail Sa=EFtas
0
saitas (2)

Ghost forms
I have upgraded a db from Access 97 to 2002 and when running it it complains of missing forms. Going back to the original 97 db; and going into VB by looking at the code in one of the forms; I notice that in the "Microsoft Access Class Objects" node, there are entries for the missing forms. I can right click on one of those and select "View Object" and am taken back to Access and shown the form. (I have a screen print showing the form, with it not being in the forms list!). Has anyone seen this before? How can I gain access to these ghost forms so that I can e...

Using Friendly Ghost Language
I'm attempting to print an Access report to a BOCA thermal printer that normally uses Friendly Ghost Language (FGL). I get the data to the printer but nothing prints. Any suggestions? -- ARMORinAK You need to have the correct driver loaded for the printer. If you don't have the installation CD, you may be able to download a driver from the web. "ARMOR" <ARMOR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16A00865-A484-404C-9D56-207B6FFD99AA@microsoft.com... > I'm attempting to print an Access report to a BOCA thermal printer that > normally uses F...

Subform ghosting image
I have created a subform (it looks like a query to the user) that has a check box as a field. The check box has to be scrolled over to the right for the user to view. The problem I have is that the background for the check box contains data from a field that was orginally in that position. Example: ([] is my checkbox and the subform has cells much like excel) 2.75[] If I click into the cell the ghosted portion goes away, but still looks funny. background: I have been having trouble with particular field. I have not been able to get the field to show up as a checkbox from the value...

Printing shows 'Ghost Words'....
I am trying to print a Booklet document, but when doing so, words come up all over the place that are not there on the orgional document. I can see that they are sentences or Headings that are thoughout the document, but have no idea how they appare on different pages, or are not able to be seen when working in Word. PLEASE HELP - need to submit this document tomorrow :-( Thanks, Hello Emily, first of all I advise you to design your document in "Print Layout" of the document. From the upper toolbar pick "View - Print layout" Second of all, try to u...

Ghost Email
This is a Spam mail send to my domain with false username. We don� have Spam software. I checked the header How can user is receiving thi mail, even when he has no Info in the header ? Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0 Received: from 12.161.237.? ([220.64.x.x]) by x.domain.com wit Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713); Mon, 9 May 2005 11:54:37 -0400 Received: from dinosaur.ceedees.com ([66.28.189.80]) by bettor.franzel-web-design.ch (InterMail vK.4.04.00.03 885-999-740-20030627 licens 6hy547ex3491o1sm7y0qlg2039j6xml8) with SMTP id <20047431486788.ZYJB6387.bettor@dinosaur.ceedees....

Ghosting process
Ghosting can be apain. Yes, it can be. "Storm Express" <iptarget@allstream.net> wrote in message news:%23keU9eQGJHA.1720@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Ghosting can be apain. > ...

virus sending a "ghost" message
Hello, I suspect a virus is trying to send a "ghost" message (one that is not visible in my Outbox - or anywhere else). I know it because I use multiple ISPs, with their corresponding e-mail accounts, and when I try to send an e- mail using one account while connected on a different ISP, I am informed that the Send task failed. So, how can I identify and get rid of this "ghost" message? Norton AntiVirus AutoProtect is unable to detect it. Thank you in advance This sounds less like a virus and more like a spam reducing technique used by your ISPs. With the massive...

Ghost Messages
Emails from a former employee's account on our Exchange 5.5 server are being received by a current employee even though the former employee's mailbox has been deleted. Could the emails have been set to send at a future date and been held by the Exchange server outside of the former employee's mailbox? Robert 1 mailbox does not equal 1 email address, i.e. the new employee could have the old employee's email address in the account properties, so they would receive email directed to that address as well as their primary SMTP address. If you want to route all incoming m...

Ghost Outlook in Task Manager
Hi, I have been noticing lately that when I close outlook 2003 completely, in the Windows Task Manager, it is still active !! And eating 57K of Mem Usage ! What is strange also is that it is in the PROCESSES section and NOT in the Application section of the task manager. Why is this ? Is this normal ? I checked everything, and ther is nothing in the tray nor pending... I would love to have some help here. Thanks so much Alex PS: Using Windows XP Pro and Office 2003 Outlook not closing properly is most likely by an add-in. Are you running WinFAX or synchronisation software? Also see; ...

Duplicate (Ghost) Folders in Contacts
After a major crash of our company's Exchange Server I now have multiple contact folders with the same name when I go to email a message and go to the address books to find the name. They do not appear in the Contacts only when I click on TO: in an email message. For instance I have a folder called Distribution, there are two of these folders displayed. One works and the other when you click on it puts up an error ("The address list could not be displayed. The Contacts folder associated with this address list could not be opened; it may have been moved or deleted, or you do not ha...

Ghost Delegates
I have a user who had delegates set in his Outlook - however the delegate's account has been deleted and no longer shows up in his Outlook. A new user has been created with the same mailbox name as the deleted delegate and is now getting the delegate calendar messages. How can I clear out this phantom rule? Thanks, Crista Exchange '03 sp2 Outlook '03 sp1 you might want to try running Outlook with the /cleanrules switch on that person's mailbox that used to have access to the calendar...make sure all other rules are noted, for recreation, if needed...then re-grant any n...

White screen with ghost images
WMP worked fine for several years, then about 6 months ago became unusable. When starting a video, a get a flash of the movie, for less than a second, then the screen goes white. You can hear the video playing, and if you look very carefully you can see the video as a white "ghost" image, VERY faintly. This happens with all the video I've tried, including the MS samples ("Bear", "Lake" etc.) I've redownlodaed the WMP with the same result. Any idea how to fix this? What version of WMP and Windows? Try updating your video card dr...

DL and Ghost User.
Query. A user has been nuked from and EXch5.5 server. Not listed in ANY DL (this has been checked by five different people). Yet, an email gets sent to a DL that the user did belong to (noting the above that the user is NOT in the DL). Yet the MTA still tries to send a message to the uer. Any ideas??? Ricardo I think (maybe) that certain versions of the MTA did this, and a restart of the MTA service cured the problem. Have you tried that? For the record, what SP level are you at? -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchange.co.uk &quo...

Ghost image sufficient as fallback strategy during in-place upgrade?
Hello, I want to do an upgrade of a w2k server running e2k to e2k3. The server is the sole Exchange server in the organisation and only has about 40 users. What I'd like to do is simply stop Exchange, ghost the whole server and do an in-place upgrade. I don't intend upgrading the server to w2k3. My question is will restoring the ghost image be sufficient to roll-back in case of problems? I presume the e2k3 AD modifications would not interfere with e2k. Thanks in advance for your advice. - Alan. On 19 Jan 2006 10:45:00 -0800, "Alan" <email.helpline@gmail.com> wrote...

Ghost spreadsheet?
Today I am suddenly experiencing a weird problem: I cannot see some of the spreadsheets we have saved both on the desktop and on the server. The files are listed, I can click on them, Excel opens but the spreadsheet does not appear, I only see the light blue background; note that on two fields in the toolbar, right below the Ribbon, I see the cell number in the first and the value on the second; changing the cell number changes also the value on the second field therefore the spreadsheet is there, it is just not visible. I tried to reboot both the desktop and the server but no luck. We...

New Mail icon/ghosts
I'm using the excellent SpamInspector to remove the curse of tedious Spam.My problem is it works very well but everytime it moves a spam e-mail to my deleted items folder I also obviously get a new mail icon appear.It's the same with "rules" removed mails-is there anyway of making sure I get the envelope icon in my tray only when there is mail in my inbox? Thanks The icon fires when mail is received. It does not depend on whether the mail is subsequently moved by rules or an Anti-Spam program. The arrival happens first so the icon fires before any subsequent action ...

Ghost account
I have a user on my exchange 2003 domain that used to have an assistant. This assistant has long since left the company. The assistants account does not appear in active directory nor is there a mailbox of the account. When anyone sends a meeting request to this user, the sender recieves a non deliverable message saying that the assistant email address does not exist. I have looked through the users Exchange settings, their outlook settings, deleted the users profile and created a new profile. I can not get rid of this "ghost". I brought a consultant in and asked them to ...

"ghost" expired messages in queues
We are running Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise on Windows Server 2003, 2-node A/A cluster behind a front-end server. A couple of weeks ago, we migrated to a new SAN for the cluster resources and Exchange databases/logs. Since then, I have seen several outbound queues in System Manager that contain only expired messages in a QUEUED state. There is no sender indicated, and Properties doesn't offer any more information. I cannot delete these messages. I have seen the same type of "ghost" messages before, but they always seemed to be shadows of other messages in the same queue, and...

GAL GHOSTS
I have a site that no longer exists but cannot physically delete it. The ghost users that were in this site still apprear in the GAL and cannot be removed. Is there a way to delete these ghost mailboxes? We are using Exchange 5.5 sp4. Thanks. Have you deleted the Directory Replication Connector for that site? Also, try to run the Knowledge Consistency Checker on one of your servers and see if that clears it up. Jim McBee http://www.somorita.com "Cody" <none> wrote in message news:uJgprBViEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... >I have a site that no longer exists but cann...

ghost items
When we setup RMS we used a suppliers disk to import all their items. Recently, I used a query to delete all items that were never sold or recieved, so that I would have a more manageable item list, as there were about 16000 items that we were never going to use. Now I'm running into some instances where an ILC can't be used on a new item because the system says it's already being used. When I try to pull up that item in the Item list nothings there. However, if I create a PO and enter the ILC in quickscan, it will put in an item that has no info at all, no description, or...

Ghost User showing up in Calendar Invites
We had a previous employees account keep showing up in Calemdar invites. We are running Win2003 DC"s and Exchange server. We searched all over for entries or old email addresses but are at a loss. Any ideas ou tthere for us to track his hidden user info and xclude him from annoying our wondering users? Many thanks in advance. The account is deleted and has been for months, not just disabaled. Weird huh :-) HELP! -- Thanks to everyone! It's worth checking to see if any of the legitimate invitees have this person set as a delegate. Depending on what you do with the accounts w...

Ghost messages #2
I have a user that is receiving emails from an email account that no longer exists on our Exchange 5.5 server. These are email messages that are addressed to a current employee from an employee who is no longer here, not a user who is simply receiving emails addressed to an employee who is no longer here. Can Exchange 5.5 hold messages that are scheduled for a future date separate from the mailbox that created them? Thanks, Robert "Robert" <rwalker@loislaw.com> wrote: >I have a user that is receiving emails from an email >account that no longer exists on our Ex...

Macro "Ghosts"
I created a workbook while another was open. The "other" had macros, the new did not. However, now Excel thinks there are macros and high-security user cannot open the file! (The list of macros for this file is empty...) Thanks! Michael Michael, You also have to remove the modules on which the macros were stored have a look here for details http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqMac.html#NoMacros -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Using Excel 97 & 2000 Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it ** remove news from my ema...

Ghost routing group
Hello Exchange 2003/5.5 mixed mode org. I removed one of the Exchange legacy sites (which had never been involved in the ADC) using the Best Practices in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324340. The site had no objects other than Custom Recipients which were moved into another site. Some of them were assigned x500 addresses but the vast majority weren't. When the site was up, occasionally an outlook user would have a cached or autofill entry for the x500 address of the former site, but they would get an NDR right away and learn to pick it fresh from the GAL. ...

Ghost Mailbox Causing Bounces (duplicate messages)
Hi, I just ran into a rather strange issue. When sending to a particular user, some people are getting bounces saying that two users in our org have the same email address. When I do a search in the EMC, I find two user objects with same email address. One is a typical "User Mailbox" object in this persons regional domain. In other words, it's the valid account. The other is an object type called "Mail User" in a completely different domain in the same forest. It's the same domain our Exchange servers are on. When I try to delete the object or eve...