utility to browse read-only PST files?

Everyone,

Since Outlook refuses to browse through read-only PST files (yes, I
know this is by design, and I still find it stupid that for read-only
files it does not revert to basic functionality of just browsing
through the mails, without the need to update any meta-data such as
sort order etc.), does anybody know of any 3rd party utility that can
do this job?

greetings,
Tom

0
tomtorfs (1)

I don't think any util will open them since I think the lower level APIs
demand they be read-write.

<tomtorfs@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Everyone,
>
> Since Outlook refuses to browse through read-only PST files (yes, I
> know this is by design, and I still find it stupid that for read-only
> files it does not revert to basic functionality of just browsing
> through the mails, without the need to update any meta-data such as
> sort order etc.), does anybody know of any 3rd party utility that can
> do this job?

0
vince8328 (2732)
12/19/2005 12:09:00 PM
tomtorfs@gmail.com <tomtorfs@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since Outlook refuses to browse through read-only PST files (yes, I
> know this is by design, and I still find it stupid that for read-only
> files it does not revert to basic functionality of just browsing
> through the mails, without the need to update any meta-data such as
> sort order etc.), does anybody know of any 3rd party utility that can
> do this job?

None has ever been reported in these newsgroups.
--
Brian Tillman
0

Backup Utility
How do you recover the backup function in outlook if it disappears from the "File" tab. Thanks Reinstall might help http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?productID=50663FD1-DBAD-4705-B915-E4CF683E70FE&freetext=backup&DisplayLang=en David "Zanji" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:205501c3e101$90ea31b0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > How do you recover the backup function in outlook if it > disappears from the "File" tab. > > Thanks I have tried Reinstall a couple times without success, also gone as far as ...

Marked as read
How do I get my incoming email to show as not read. I went into tools and unchecked mark as read but my mail still comes as read. can you help? "Unchecked mark as read" - do you mean the setting at Tools - Options - Read - "Mark messages read after displaying for __ seconds"? Did you try increasing those seconds? "John Lowry" <John Lowry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:69364939-1FB4-4668-9011-BC0144B50135@microsoft.com... > How do I get my incoming email to show as not read. I went into tools and > unchecked mark as r...

Can I convert a Publisher 2003 file so that it can be read in Fro.
I have created a website in Publisher 2003 and want to send it to someone who will finish it in Front Page. Is there a way to do this? Not easily. Pub 2003 adds a lot of extra code to it. The FP user will *not* be a happy camper. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Suzanne" <Suzanne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:655C04ED-2E7B-498A-8774-5A9C52238A40@microsoft.com... >I have created a website in Publisher 2003 and want to send it to someone >who > will finish it in Front Page. Is there a way to do this? >-----Original Message--...

execute batch file upon save
Hi, I have searched the web and newsgroups (probably with the wrong expressions) and cannot find the solution. I have an xls spreadsheet (Office 2003). I did 'save as' html once so from now on every time I save it also 'publishes' to a local .htm file. After this 'publication' I would like to run a batchfile which uses the .htm file as input. I have little experience with VBA. I tried to look for an event like 'AfterSave' or something like that. I could only come up with a BeforeSave event, which is to eraly. Can anyone tell me how I can run a batchfi...

error read only in excel
Hello, I am getting an error: spreadsheet.xls cannot be accessed. The file may be a read only, or you may be trying to access a read only location. Or, the server the document is stored on, may not be responding I have tried the following 1. copied the file from the server it was on, onto my deskto 2. copied the file to another server driv 3. convert to a cs 4. import and/or link in Acces 5. open as a read only I get the same error with everything I try. Is there something that I am missing? or, is this file corrupt? Is it possible that there is a master document that this one is linked to t...

copy utility
Hi The copy/paste function in windows explorer is not good enough. If it cannot read one file during the copy process, explorer just give error message and skip all remaining files. Then I have no idea how may files have been copied unless to compare. It is painful when I copy huge amount of files. Is there any utility can solve this problem? "wu" <fqwu2003@126.com.discuss> wrote in message news:#cKaZQy4KHA.1888@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi > > The copy/paste function in windows explorer is not good enough. If it > cannot read one file d...

opening external text file
Call Shell("TEXT.txt \\C:\labels.txt", 1) returns "file not found" I am sure it is the "TEXT.txt" that is causing the problem because I was guessing. Thanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200707/1 In news:75209e6b4d77c@uwe, Haggr1 via AccessMonster.com <u35393@uwe> wrote: > Call Shell("TEXT.txt \\C:\labels.txt", 1) returns "file not found" > > I am sure it is the "TEXT.txt" that is causing the problem because I > was guessing. Thanks A...

XmlReader.Read produce an exception
Hi We have the following problem: We get at the validation of an XML file against the corresponding schema an internal exception in the XML reader. (Validation of an XML file according to MSDN Help) The exception occurs also in the Visual Studio designer, this exception appears in the Error list when the XML file is loaded with the schema. The XML and the schema should be valid. It occurs with the following XML file and schema: open Trans 2.1fd -> Http://www.opentrans.org/ -> \ Documents and files \ files openTRANS 2.1 \ openTRANS 2.1 (final draft - draft) \ openTRANS 2.1fd english...

Browse and login tp PWA site with FireFox or Safari
I was wondering if there is any way (other than virtualization and Remote Access solutions) to login and browse to a PWA site with using a browser other than IE. If we setup our authentication server to authenticate against LDAP, does it make any difference? Does the authentication part have anything to do with using different browsers? Please advice. Thank you. Bahram It's not the authentication that's the issue but the Active X controls running in non-MSFT browsers. - Andrew Lavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm > I was wondering if t...

WMP cannot play the file
I get this error in Windows Media Player when trying to run a playlist made of .jpegs - after some try I found the problem is the .jpgs size being 4000x3000 pixel, the memory size being about 3MB, while all is ok with another group of jpegs sized 3MB too but with 2800x2100 pixels. The first group comes from digital photos taken with the setting "12MB normal resolution" while the second group has been taken by setting "6MB fine resolution". Is there some option to set to bypass this error? il barbi Post here instead: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.p...

Adjust Cost Utility
Customer wants to be able to print a report in the Adjust Layer Cost Utility (Tools >> Utilities >> Inventory >> Adjust Costs). ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/...

Reading Pane is slow
The reading pane in Outlook 2003 is slow when I switch from different folders. The pane takes about 20 seconds to come up to the current email. I have XP with SP2 installed. I have no other problems except this one. I have searched Google and found uncheck the option to enable instant messaging. Except I have "enable the Person Names Smart Tag". I tried unchecking that but no change. Thanks. Robert "robert" <rxoxexrxtxtx1x@xhxoxtxmxaxixl.com> wrote in message news:vUs_c.203613$sh.47510@fed1read06... > The reading pane in Outlook 2003 is...

Excel file overwritten
Hi, I was working with xls file A and saved it accidentially under file B. Which of course caused file B to be overwritten. Any way to recover file B from some temporary auto-save location or something similar? Rgds, Thore if your are on a network, it might have tape backup. see IS for a restore. if not.....sorry. file b is gone. >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >I was working with xls file A and saved it accidentially >under file B. Which of course caused file B to be >overwritten. Any way to recover file B from some temporary >auto-save location or something...

some read receipts not working
Hello, i've really strange problem here. One of my customer (about 400 clients) complain that since we started migration from office 2000 to office 2003 few users (less than 10) are having some problems with the outlook read receipts. Users are using outlook 2003 and can't receive the receipts for some groups of users, for example one is complaining she can't receive the receipts from all people starting with letter "g". The same user can change pc, and all works fine, so it can't be a problem of who receive the email. thank you for help P. "Diarmar" wrote...

MIME generator utility
I need different types of MIME messages. Is there any utility which could generate various possible MIME messages, like MIME messages with encoding 7bit or binary , MIME message with different contenttype etc.. Thanks, -Vinay Vinay <vinay_chopra@persistent.co.in> wrote: > I need different types of MIME messages. Is there any utility which > could generate various possible MIME messages, like MIME messages > with encoding 7bit or binary , MIME message with different > contenttype etc.. While Outlook has some control over this in the Tools>Options>Mail Format di...

No .pst File #2
I get an error when starting Outlook, .pst file not found. I look for it an it is indeed missing. I tried reinstalling Outlook, but same error message. Does anybody have any suggestions? Create a new pst-file in Control Panel-> Mail -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tip of the month: -Create your own fully customized Toolbar Subscribe to the newsletter to receive news and tips & tricks in your mailbox! www.sparnaaij.net (I changed my reply address; remove all CAPS and _unders...

opening file in Money 2000
In a new install, I get the setup assistant. Is there a way to bypass the assistant and open an existing file? You should have a File-> menu at this point, so use that. Alternatively, just double click the existing file. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or email mnyukwsh@microsoft.com especially if it's a UK specific wish. I do not respond to any unsolicited email regardin...

Outlook Express removing access to attached email files
I requested a file from DayTimer, a reputable online site. They sent me an email with the file attached. I am sure this file is fine (no viruses etc.). When I clicked on the paper clip to download the attachment, I got this message: "OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail: top10faq.htm" This actually happened with three separate emails from DayTimer, with three separate attachments. How can I gain access to these attachments? I am sure these attachments are virus- free. Tools->options->security. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, ...

Diagnostic Utilities
Hi, Can you recommend any free diagnostic utilitly please? That could be for motherboard, graphic card, hard disk, etc.. and plus any other utility you think could be helpful for troubleshooting and maintenance. Thanks. "mturus" <mturus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2BBED43F-C76C-48D7-835C-1A3921930EAC@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > Can you recommend any free diagnostic utilitly please? That could be for > motherboard, graphic card, hard disk, etc.. and plus any other utility you > think could be helpful for troubleshooting and...

create a message box when opening a file in word or excel 2007
How can i create a message box to appear in my files in MS word or excel 2007, for example "Good Morning" when my colleagues open a file Use the Workbook Open event to display a message for a specific excel workbook; Set the security level to low/medium in (Tools|Macro|Security). From workbook press Alt+F11 to launch VBE (Visual Basic Editor). From the left treeview search for the workbook name and click on + to expand it. Within that you should see the following VBAProject(Your_Filename) Microsoft Excel Objects Sheet1(Sheet1) Sheet2(Sheet2) Sheet3(Sheet3...

where/what path are the PST files located
My outlook 2003 pst files are on an external hard drive. What/Where is the path to find the files? I'm trying to open them in outlook 2007 (New Vista Computer) Steven Steven <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > My outlook 2003 pst files are on an external hard drive. What/Where > is the path to find the files? I'm trying to open them in outlook > 2007 (New Vista Computer) If they're on an external drive, then you must have put them there, because Outlook won't unless you tell it to do so. Ask yourself where you created them or ask Outlook: File>...

location of backup file
We can specify to take backup in save As, tools, general option, always create back. How can we specify it location where to save this file. Hi AFAIK you can't with this option -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Vikas" <Vikas@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:BF75AE6A-C10F-49E2-BBB4-4A5EF3E87657@microsoft.com... > We can specify to take backup in save As, tools, general option, always > create back. How can we specify it location where to save this file. ...

Ziping a file in VC++ (add that to the existing zip file )
how to zip a file and add that to the existing zip file ? say for example am zipping a file (name.txt) and its name is name.zip after zipping, now i need to zip another file (file.txt) and this file.txt shold be zipped and should be placed inside name.zip. altogether there should be 2 file inside the name zip file. howto do it ? i have done zipping but dont know how to add the next file in the existing zip file. NOTE: i need to zip a file and add that to an existing zip file. and its more like add to archive :) There are a number of zip libraries available to download. I think zlib is ...

Slow Browsing
I have a relatively new Dell notebook with Outlook 2002 on it. It runs fine except the browse function is PAINFULLY slow... When you try to browse for an attachment, there is a 10 second delay between clicking on the pull-down box arrow and actually getting into the browse window. Any ideas? ...