HI,

Please be patient as the story is long:

I migrated my users from a workgroup to a Client/Server
network about a month ago. A network using Windows 2000
active Directory. All the clients workstations are
Wondows 2000 professional. Before migration, I exported
the emails, etc. to a .pst file and after migration
imported the same file and all was fine. Last over the
weekend our Active Directory server crashed by a Virus
supposedly and we had to rebuil the servers, and couldn't
have the users logon on to the network to the
export/import scenarion again. After the server were
rebuilt, I was able to logon to the machines locally and
run outlook and export the messages, calander, notes,
contacts, etc. but All the messages in between the time
my users were on the new network and then again rebuilt
one are now missing, so this is my big question? if I
understand correctely, since we are using POP servers all
the messages get downloaded to the local machines and if
this is so, an outlook data file that contains all the
messages and other stuff for each user must be under the
user profile i.e. C:\Documents and Setting\usersx, where
usersx is the user name for the users while he was
connected to the pre crashed server (domain). THis users
name still exist on each machine for each user and I must
be able to import the user's associated outlook datafile
to his new account when user is logged onto the new
rebuilt domain???. If this assumption is right, please
help me find the datafile, I cannot see:

C:\documents and setting\userx\microsoft\outlook\personal
folder????

Can this be done? if so, how can I see the above mention
personal folder??

Thank you in advance for your input.

Regards,

MD
0
masood1 (5)

If you were using the Exchange mailbox, even with POP there's no PST file by
default. How were people connected while your servers were down?

MD wrote:
> HI,
>
> Please be patient as the story is long:
>
> I migrated my users from a workgroup to a Client/Server
> network about a month ago. A network using Windows 2000
> active Directory. All the clients workstations are
> Wondows 2000 professional. Before migration, I exported
> the emails, etc. to a .pst file and after migration
> imported the same file and all was fine. Last over the
> weekend our Active Directory server crashed by a Virus
> supposedly and we had to rebuil the servers, and couldn't
> have the users logon on to the network to the
> export/import scenarion again. After the server were
> rebuilt, I was able to logon to the machines locally and
> run outlook and export the messages, calander, notes,
> contacts, etc. but All the messages in between the time
> my users were on the new network and then again rebuilt
> one are now missing, so this is my big question? if I
> understand correctely, since we are using POP servers all
> the messages get downloaded to the local machines and if
> this is so, an outlook data file that contains all the
> messages and other stuff for each user must be under the
> user profile i.e. C:\Documents and Setting\usersx, where
> usersx is the user name for the users while he was
> connected to the pre crashed server (domain). THis users
> name still exist on each machine for each user and I must
> be able to import the user's associated outlook datafile
> to his new account when user is logged onto the new
> rebuilt domain???. If this assumption is right, please
> help me find the datafile, I cannot see:
>
> C:\documents and setting\userx\microsoft\outlook\personal
> folder????
>
> Can this be done? if so, how can I see the above mention
> personal folder??
>

> Thank you in advance for your input.
>
> Regards,
>
> MD

0
lanwench (7567)
7/15/2003 3:04:00 AM
HI and thanks for responding. My users were connected
until the end of the day, then it crashed and I had to
rebuild the servers over the weekend and create user
accounts agian, but with the same user name and the
server names didn't changed. On MOnday which was the
first day of work using newely built servers when users
loggedon, i went and import the exported file (.pst) into
outlook. all except three were fine. These three users
have worth of two months of messages and contacts missing.

I am trying to access their profile for befor the crash
on their own workstations as I can see the user name in
the Documents and setting where all the profiles are on
wondows 2000 and Xp, but it diesn't show me the local
setting\microsoft\outlook\personal folder/??

So, this is what happened and Now I have to get back the
lost messages!

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

MD

0
masood1 (5)
7/16/2003 3:03:22 PM
I'm still confused. Here's what I understand from your posts:

Your users were using the Exchange mailbox for delivery
Your server crashed.
You exported the mailbox to PST and imported into the newly recreated
mailboxes.
There is still no PST file being used, anywhere, and has not been since you
put in the Exchange server.

....so where did these users with the missing data have it stored in the
first place? Am I misunderstanding?

When your server crashed: do you have anyone backing up your mail, in the
sense of a secondary MX record that points to your ISP's (or someone's) SMTP
server that does store/forward (retries sending to you)?

MD wrote:
> HI and thanks for responding. My users were connected
> until the end of the day, then it crashed and I had to
> rebuild the servers over the weekend and create user
> accounts agian, but with the same user name and the
> server names didn't changed. On MOnday which was the
> first day of work using newely built servers when users
> loggedon, i went and import the exported file (.pst) into
> outlook. all except three were fine. These three users
> have worth of two months of messages and contacts missing.
>
> I am trying to access their profile for befor the crash
> on their own workstations as I can see the user name in
> the Documents and setting where all the profiles are on
> wondows 2000 and Xp, but it diesn't show me the local
> setting\microsoft\outlook\personal folder/??
>
> So, this is what happened and Now I have to get back the
> lost messages!
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> MD

0
lanwench (7567)
7/16/2003 3:19:17 PM
HI,

we don't have an exchange server. we use internet email
form toad.net who is our dSL ckt provider and email. they
say since we use POP and SMTP, all the emails gets
downloaded into the local machine. On the local machine
we have outlook for mail client. if this is true where
all of these messages get saved. I have not changed
anything on the local machines. The servger which was re-
buil was our AD (Active Directory) server. I know that
each time a user logon to the network and create an email
account in the outlook, a profile get created and a data
file which holds enail mnessages creates on the local
machine, but where?
Sorry for the confusion.

REgards,

MD

0
masood1 (5)
7/16/2003 3:46:20 PM
OK - sorry, I misunderstood your original post. By default, the PST file is
in the user's "documents & settings" folder, but it's in a hidden
subfolder - search for *.pst and make sure you're searching hidden/system
folders as well.

MD wrote:
> HI,
>
> we don't have an exchange server. we use internet email
> form toad.net who is our dSL ckt provider and email. they
> say since we use POP and SMTP, all the emails gets
> downloaded into the local machine. On the local machine
> we have outlook for mail client. if this is true where
> all of these messages get saved. I have not changed
> anything on the local machines. The servger which was re-
> buil was our AD (Active Directory) server. I know that
> each time a user logon to the network and create an email
> account in the outlook, a profile get created and a data
> file which holds enail mnessages creates on the local
> machine, but where?
> Sorry for the confusion.
>
> REgards,
>
> MD

0
lanwench (7567)

Tabebed Forms in Access!!!HELP!
I am trying to design a tabbed form in Access 2007. I have my five tabs named etc....I have inserted fields onto the first tab and for the life of me cannot figure out have to get the fields from the first tabs to not show up on the other tabs!!!!! I want each tab to contain its own fields. How do I do this???? PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!! Try cutting the controls, and pasting them back on the the correct page. Make sure that the page itself is selected before pasting the control. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Heather Elbert&qu...

New to User Forms

Outlook profile not created on login
Hi, I have a .mst file that I have already setup in a batch file that I use to install Office 2000 on Terminal Servers/Metaframe Servers. I've used this many times in the past. I just built 2 new servers and one of them does not populate the Outlook settings for new users. By settings I mean the exchange server name, name, personal folder location, etc. The settings for Word, Excel, Powerpoint are there though. I then uninstalled Office, rebooted, reinstalled it and get the same thing. I looked in the registry and the NewProf key is there with all the correct settings in it. ...

outlook 2002 on xp pro: default format style for new emails
Whenever I start a new email in Outlook, the format style is set to Paragraph, not Normal as with most, if not all, other computers. Actually a user is patched through CITRIX, piped into the citrix server, using his session's Outlook. Don't let that throw you; I'd like at least to know if there's a way to change the default. Thank you! ...

Users Shared Folders

Outlook 2003 -- Always display BCC on new messages?
Hi all; anyone know how to always display the BCC field on every new message composed, you know, make it the default to display the BCC field? I've played around with forms editing but none of my efforts, which were little more than shots in the dark, have produced the desired results. Thanks, Lucee I forgot to add; when composing a new message, on the View menu the option to check the BCC field is not there as it was in Outlook XP :-( "BVIPrincess" <eecul62@comcast.net> wrote in message news:%23hS3euE$EHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... Hi all; anyone know how to...

Help Require (Macro Save button )?????
Dear All, I have a form named form1 With following description. Po #. W.O # ses#. Contract #. Total Amount and Retention Amount. I want to generate a table where i can store all the above fields. I want a macro (Save button) in form so that if i click the Save button all the corresponding fields saved to Table. Please assist ? Help is deeply welcome. Attachment is for your ref. Rgds, Aligahk06 If your form is based on (bound to) the table, then the data saves automatically. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-...

Cant send to specific domain when signature on my mail
I know this sounds strange, but I cannot send an email from our E2K3 Server only when my signature is on the bottom of the email. If I highlight the signature, delete it and then send it goes fine. The error I get when the signature is on there is this.. Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Another Test Sent: 25/10/2004 12:09 The following recipient(s) could not be reached: DELETEDFORSECURITY on 25/10/2004 12:10 You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. ...

No Attribute Message when merging contacts
I receive an error message "No Attribute" when mergeing contacts. Any suggestions? check the error log for detail warning or error . Create two new contacts and try to merge them and post us the result. ------ Aamir Blog : http://mscrmsupport.wordpress.com/ Same Result "Aamir Bashir" wrote: > check the error log for detail warning or error . > > Create two new contacts and try to merge them and post us the result. > ------ > > > Aamir > > > Blog : http://mscrmsupport.wordpress.com/ > I am having the same issue and I get the ...

forward email form one outlook 2007 profile to another
I am a google apps sync user and when my email comes into Outlook it goes into the apps profile inbox. Maybe some of you are aware of the problem with google apps in that you cannot change the "From" field in outgoing mail. For example: my wife and I are a Realtor team, our domain is xxx.com. Our account email address in google apps is PamandBruce@xxx.com When an email is sent from the apps profile in Outlook 2007, it shows as coming from just my name and this apparently cannot be changed. Can I create a new profile in Outlook 2007, have the mail from the google app...

Providing help for a template
Hi, I have a template which is not that easy to use, so I need to show some help to users - what is the best way of doing this. It should be something that is not modal, as it should stay visible as the user works..... Regards Bo Rasmussen Bo, You can use Data - Validation. Leave the "Allow" box set to "Any value." Put instructions in the Input Box, and they'll pop up like comments when the cell is selected. Or use cell comments (right-click, Insert comment). They'll pop up when the mouse hovers over the cell. Modeless UserForms (Excel 2000 and beyond) can...

Help me do this
Hi Everyone, I need some help. I want to use Windows Live mail without signing in or having a hotmail or live account. I use gmail and it works fine. I have exported all my contacts from my live.com email and imported all of my contacts so that is not the problem. I want to import my calendar from my live account. I can't find anyway to do this. If I stop signing in of course my calendar is gone. How can I export my live.com email calendar into windows live desktop client so I don't have to sign in anymore? Thx "T-Man" <a@anon.com> wrote in message...

New RR ISP and Business POP3 Not Working
Recently due to ISP purchase, I was switched from Comcast to Road Runner ISP. With Comcast everything was fine. Now when accessing my business email with RR I get the error: "pop3 was found but there was no response..." This is from any computer fed directly into the modem. I can take my laptop to another outside location, and it works fine. In addition, I cannot access the webmail interface from RR, though I can access any other website. I have purchased a new modem due to RR saying I had low power? New cabling, all to negative results. Has anyone had this problem? ...

Users not showing up All Users

Help with Page Life Expectancy
hi I am using 32bit SQL Server 2005 and SP3 applied and hosted with VMWare Hi i have a situation where Page Life Expectancy counter shows a consistent average of 70 seconds when running the perfmon. I read that this should be > 300 seconds on average Buffer Cache Hit Ratio = 99% Memory grants pending = 0 lazy writes/sec = 0 i am trying to find out what queries are causing this but i'm not sure how to go about doing it. does anyone have a suggestion of what to run and look for? Derek Identify the queries consuming (or that will consume) the most memory select req...

how do I start a new paper using Perrla in Microsoft Word 2007
Perrla's website says there is an "AddIns" tab in MS Word 2007. I do not see this. I would suggest contacting Perrla as it is their add-in. What you can do to start with is check if their add-in is actually installed and enabled. In Word 2007, press the Office button followed by "Word Options". Then go to the "Add-Ins" item. Check for the Perrla add-in and see if it is in the active section. If not, see if using the dropdown menu at the bottom and the "Go" button can help you enable it. Yves "Osaluvr1" <Osaluvr1@d...

Preview of Messages slow after changing TIME on PC
I have been using Outlook 2002 SP2 with no problems. I could click on any message in any folder and it displayed instantly. Then I noticed that the time on my PC was wrong ( 12 hours ) so I changed it. Now when it takes 4-5 seconds to display the message. Changing the time back does not fix the problem. HELP Please..... Found it in Newgroup. Yes, is is fixed by disabling Instant Messenger in Outlook. BUT, it can also be fixed by ALLOWing Instant messenger to run in background. >-----Original Message----- >I have been using Outlook 2002 SP2 with no problems. I >could click on...

user breakpoint

System Low in Resources Help
Hi.... My father is having a problem with his computer and I am not sure ho to fix this. Everytime he tries to open excel the computer will freez and after hitting ctrl+alt+delete I get a message saying the compute is low in resources. This happens everytime I try to open a new or existing workbook. Coul anybody give me some tips or advice. Thanks. Bighers -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Not an expert, but a couple things come to mind: 1) does his PC have enough memory/disk space for other applications, like Word, to operate OK? If not, then you need to 'beef it...

New Message Placed in Outbox, but not italicized for Sending
When I create a "new message" and click send, the message is placed in the Outbox but is not italicized and therefore won't send. I have to open the message in the Outbox and reclick send before it appears italicized and will send. Thanks for anyone's help Look for a 3rd party addin that is trying to work with mail items. (e.g. ICQ used to install an addin into Outlook that would do exactly what you describe. The addin was found under tools | options | other | advanced options | com addins.) -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account ...

New StockTruth Forum
New StockTruth Forum Hi all, We added a forum to the site for people's questions. It isn't too fancy but it works. If any of you have time please take a look at it and give it a try: http://stocktruth.com/analysis-forum/conquistador/1 Thanks, StockTruth.com ...