User Profiles

I have several Win XP and 2000 machines on a 2003 domain. I configured a user
profile on each machine and then copied it to the Default profile for anyone
that logs on. I have one machine that must have had outlook configured before
we copied the profile. Now anyone that logs into that machine gets the same
outlook profile. Instead of creating a new PST file for each user it reads
the original PST file out of the original user profile.

Hmmmm.... I didn't think personal settings got copied across. Can anyone
help me correct this. (Maybe this is more of an XP issue but, I will start
here)

thanks - in advanced!
--
NCS Consultant
0

NCS wrote:
> I have several Win XP and 2000 machines on a 2003 domain. I
> configured a user profile on each machine and then copied it to the
> Default profile for anyone that logs on. I have one machine that must
> have had outlook configured before we copied the profile. Now anyone
> that logs into that machine gets the same outlook profile. Instead of
> creating a new PST file for each user it reads the original PST file
> out of the original user profile.
>
> Hmmmm.... I didn't think personal settings got copied across. Can
> anyone help me correct this. (Maybe this is more of an XP issue but,
> I will start here)
>
> thanks - in advanced!

Don't copy Outlook profiles - create new ones. And since you're on a domain,
consider using roaming profiles so you don't have to do this all the time -
it's a real time saver, lets users log into various computers, makes defunct
PC replacement a snap, etc.

In addition, how many users do you have and where are the PST files located?
No option to use Exchange Server?

0
lanwench (7567)
4/20/2005 1:29:29 PM
There are only about twenty users at this location. they stick to their own
workstations most of the time but do occasionally move to different
workststions.

We set up the user environment for the main user at that workstation
complete with printers and such. Updates were downloading a bit slow so we
went ahead and setup Outlook for that userwhile we waited. After we had
everything complete I restarted - loged on as domain admin, went to System
properties and copied the desired user profile to the "default". All was good
except that no matter who logs on, outlook continues to open the PST file
from the first profile that I built. the mail wizard should open for each new
logon when you open outlook. I have never seen before. If I manually make a
PST file for the current users, I still have the problem of adding new users.
As they will be able to view the mail from the original profile.

thanks

NCS Consultant

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> NCS wrote:
> > I have several Win XP and 2000 machines on a 2003 domain. I
> > configured a user profile on each machine and then copied it to the
> > Default profile for anyone that logs on. I have one machine that must
> > have had outlook configured before we copied the profile. Now anyone
> > that logs into that machine gets the same outlook profile. Instead of
> > creating a new PST file for each user it reads the original PST file
> > out of the original user profile.
> >
> > Hmmmm.... I didn't think personal settings got copied across. Can
> > anyone help me correct this. (Maybe this is more of an XP issue but,
> > I will start here)
> >
> > thanks - in advanced!
>
> Don't copy Outlook profiles - create new ones. And since you're on a domain,
> consider using roaming profiles so you don't have to do this all the time -
> it's a real time saver, lets users log into various computers, makes defunct
> PC replacement a snap, etc.
>
> In addition, how many users do you have and where are the PST files located?
> No option to use Exchange Server?

0
NCS1 (69)
4/20/2005 7:03:04 PM
NCS wrote:
> There are only about twenty users at this location. they stick to
> their own workstations most of the time but do occasionally move to
> different workststions.

Roaming profiles are your friend!
And with 20 users, you really may want to get Exchange in there. You can't
store your PST files on the server (well, you can, but it's not supported
and will likely cause problems). And the data takes up more space, etc.

> We set up the user environment for the main user at that workstation
> complete with printers and such. Updates were downloading a bit slow
> so we went ahead and setup Outlook for that userwhile we waited.
> After we had everything complete I restarted - loged on as domain
> admin, went to System properties and copied the desired user profile
> to the "default". All was good except that no matter who logs on,
> outlook continues to open the PST file from the first profile that I
> built. the mail wizard should open for each new logon when you open
> outlook. I have never seen before. If I manually make a PST file for
> the current users, I still have the problem of adding new users. As
> they will be able to view the mail from the original profile.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't recommend your method. I don't
copy profiles - I create new ones.

> thanks
>
> NCS Consultant
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>> NCS wrote:
>>> I have several Win XP and 2000 machines on a 2003 domain. I
>>> configured a user profile on each machine and then copied it to the
>>> Default profile for anyone that logs on. I have one machine that
>>> must have had outlook configured before we copied the profile. Now
>>> anyone that logs into that machine gets the same outlook profile.
>>> Instead of creating a new PST file for each user it reads the
>>> original PST file out of the original user profile.
>>>
>>> Hmmmm.... I didn't think personal settings got copied across. Can
>>> anyone help me correct this. (Maybe this is more of an XP issue but,
>>> I will start here)
>>>
>>> thanks - in advanced!
>>
>> Don't copy Outlook profiles - create new ones. And since you're on a
>> domain, consider using roaming profiles so you don't have to do this
>> all the time - it's a real time saver, lets users log into various
>> computers, makes defunct PC replacement a snap, etc.
>>
>> In addition, how many users do you have and where are the PST files
>> located? No option to use Exchange Server?

0
lanwench (7567)

Outlook profile not created on login
Hi, I have a .mst file that I have already setup in a batch file that I use to install Office 2000 on Terminal Servers/Metaframe Servers. I've used this many times in the past. I just built 2 new servers and one of them does not populate the Outlook settings for new users. By settings I mean the exchange server name, name, personal folder location, etc. The settings for Word, Excel, Powerpoint are there though. I then uninstalled Office, rebooted, reinstalled it and get the same thing. I looked in the registry and the NewProf key is there with all the correct settings in it. ...

Combine Profile?
I have two profiles, one with business data and one with personal data. Is there a way to combine the two profiles and end up with just one or the other? What version of Outlook are you using? Are you connected to an Exchange server or are you using .PST files? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:3f0401c3b112$efb1a3f0$a601280a@phx.gbl, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > I have two profiles, one with business data and one with > p...

New to User Forms

Users Shared Folders

forward email form one outlook 2007 profile to another
I am a google apps sync user and when my email comes into Outlook it goes into the apps profile inbox. Maybe some of you are aware of the problem with google apps in that you cannot change the "From" field in outgoing mail. For example: my wife and I are a Realtor team, our domain is xxx.com. Our account email address in google apps is PamandBruce@xxx.com When an email is sent from the apps profile in Outlook 2007, it shows as coming from just my name and this apparently cannot be changed. Can I create a new profile in Outlook 2007, have the mail from the google app...

Users not showing up All Users

user breakpoint

Need User Name and Password

Random Users Calendars not viewable

Manager grayed out on user setup

Lotus user to Outlook user Attachments missing
Hi everyone, I have a strange problem that hopefully someone can help with or maybe point me in the right direction. Infrastructure info: All our clients are running Office 2007 SP2 and we have Exchange 2007 SP1 as our backend. We have a client that has Lotus Notes and sends us many emails per day and almost always they have attachments but usually PDF's, JPG's and DOC's. We have just discovered that they occasionally send us scanned docs in MDI format. The problem is that it appears as though when the client running Lotus attached an MDI file and sends the ema...

users sending messages to themselves
Hello all, I'm running a Exchange 2000 server w SP3 on W2K box w SP4. I have some users who have this old habit of sending a copy of out going message to themselves when they compose a new message by cc or bcc or even To field. I ask them not to do but they are still doing it. Is there a way (may be a script or rule or anything in Exchange or third party software) to stop this. I was told by someone that there is nothing of that nature but I'm still not convinced. There's gotta be a way. Thanks Raj Bambrah Why not let them do whatever they damn well please? Raj Bambrah wro...

IMF and remote users.
I need a bit of hand holding on this. We are about to start hosting our own email. There are branch offices that will pick up their email with POP3 from our server running SBS 2003. I want to filter for spam, but also want all the users to have the ability to review emails caught by the filter. If I use the IMF filter, am I correct in assuming that the remote office users will never see those emails in that they will have been moved out of their inbox to the spam folder? Is there a built-in method of tagging, not moving emails identified as spam on a RBL? Thank you. - Are you going to use ...

Limit user access on customer/vendor?
is it possible to control user access on certain customer/vendors? something like account level security, but on customer/vendor. Hi HFLo, No you cannot have Customer/Vendor Control Access as account security, since no module in GP has this feature, this is one of the drawbacks of GP no ROW LEVEL SECURITY at all, we are using the third party product for this security setup, it also works for Inventory and items just like account security. In short GP dosent have this feature. AXAPTA has this feature to restrict access to customers, vendors, inventory items at site level etc....... w...

Preventing a user from seing other users opportunities
Hi, I have a case in which 2 CRM users (A) & (B) shouldn't see each other's opportunities and this is indeed the case. However, when a user (A) creates an opportunity for which the account is owned by user (B), user (B) is then able to see this user (A) opportunity. I understand that this might be logical business wise, however, is there any way to prevent user (B) from seing these opportunities of user (A) even though he is the owner of the opportunity account ?? Thanks in advance I don't believe this is possible but I could be wrong. Darren Liu, Microsoft CRM MVP...

Sending a copy of each email that a user sends
We have a security issue from HR requiring them to review all email sent from a user Is there a way to cc: an HR account with all email sent without the user being aware of the cc:? Have a look at this software www.exclaimer2000.com On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:41:08 -0800, Rod <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We have a security issue from HR requiring them to review all email sent from a user. >Is there a way to cc: an HR account with all email sent without the user being aware of the cc:? This is very easy with Exchange 5.5. What version do you have? Rafael "...

security- users
hi all can anyone tell me this.. i want when someone opens the data base to asked for a user name and password. if the user name is for example "admin" (thats me) to have full access, can create,delete tables,create report etc. if the user name is "user1" to be able only for read, write ,add record ?? i prefered to do this by using the User and Group Permissions but any other suggestions are welcome.. thanks On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 22:54:01 -0800, Osyris <Osyris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Workgroup Security is an advanced topic. Do not attempt to use it un...

User in more than one user class?
Is it possible to add a user to more than one user class? We have a user who will temporarily need the accesses of another user class while retaining her current accesses. The only method I saw for adding the accesses is to do them individually for the user. Is there a better way to do this? Perhaps adding the user to the second user class temporarily or create a new user class with the accesses of the two classes in question? Thank you. For versions 9.0 and prior a user can only be in 1 security class at a time. -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions, Inc. "d...

Custom User Forms
Hello All: I know.... "the only 'stupid' question, is the one that's not asked..... Hopefully, I won't look like "too" much of a novice. Here goes, I have a elderly user, who is not overly comfortable with using Excel, and is used to the "dumb terminal" approach of data entry. Not that I don't want her to learn, she is just extremely hesitant. Anyway, I would like to create a custom form for her to enter information into, which then populates a "hidden" worksheet. Would need to have a couple of Validation fields, i.e. o...

User Limit
Hi! Is there a way in GP 9 to keep some User Licenses always free and fix them for specific GP users so that they can always login without any problem? For example if i have 50 GP User Licenses i need to fix 10 of them only for 10 very important users and if one of these 10 users is not logged in then one GP license should be free until he logs in and nobody should be able to take this license? Thanks! Unfortunately this feature does not exist out of the box, but it might be customizable. Regards -- Mohammad R. Daoud MVP, MCP, MCBMSP, MCTS, MCBMSS Mob: +962 - 79 -99...