Urgent: Outlook Disaster Recovery

I know we only talk when there's a crisis.

In short, we lost our exchange 2003 server. Reinstalled Win2k Advanced,
Exchange 2003, recreated mailboxes. The old IS was blown away, we're
restoring a backup. In the meantime, I have many sales and execs who sync to
an .ost. I've locked all the mailboxes in fear that if they connect and
Outlook wants to sync, it will essentially delete the entire contents of the
..ost file, leaving them with nothing. Is this a sound theory or paranoid
conjecture? Has anyone found a solid tool to convert 2003 Outlook clients
from ost to pst? Any other pitfalls I should be aware of, in case you've
suffered the same hell we are?

TIA

Steve

0
sewasser1 (3)

Outlook 2003 is much better than previous versions about not connecting =
to new or damaged mailboxes. Users should see a choice between =
connecting to the new mailbox, which will give them mail access, or =
connecting to their old offline folders. Once you've confirmed for =
yourself that this is the way it works, you'll want to unlock the =
mailbox access so you can send an email message to these users telling =
them what to do. They'll need to start Outlook with the offline folders =
and move or export everything to a .pst file. They can then restart =
Outlook with the live mailbox and import everything from the .pst file.=20

--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
  =20
"Steve W" <sewasser@gmail.com> wrote in message =
>I know we only talk when there's a crisis.
>=20
> In short, we lost our exchange 2003 server. Reinstalled Win2k =
Advanced,
> Exchange 2003, recreated mailboxes. The old IS was blown away, we're
> restoring a backup. In the meantime, I have many sales and execs who =
sync to
> an .ost. I've locked all the mailboxes in fear that if they connect =
and
> Outlook wants to sync, it will essentially delete the entire contents =
of the
> .ost file, leaving them with nothing. Is this a sound theory or =
paranoid
> conjecture? Has anyone found a solid tool to convert 2003 Outlook =
clients
> from ost to pst? Any other pitfalls I should be aware of, in case =
you've
> suffered the same hell we are?
>=20
> TIA
>=20
> Steve
>=20
>=20

0
suemvp (4038)
5/16/2006 1:45:54 PM
Sue,

Thank you for your help, that is exactly what I did this morning. Good deeds
never go unpunished, so my next question (hopefully the last) is, when users
type in a name in the to field, it does resolve by underlining the name, but
fails delivering. If they click the "To:" button and choose from the GAL, it
works fine. What am I missing here? This is internal mail, of course.

Thank you again.

Steve

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"Steve W" <sewasser@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I know we only talk when there's a crisis.
>
> In short, we lost our exchange 2003 server. Reinstalled Win2k Advanced,
> Exchange 2003, recreated mailboxes. The old IS was blown away, we're
> restoring a backup. In the meantime, I have many sales and execs who sync
> an .ost. I've locked all the mailboxes in fear that if they connect and
> Outlook wants to sync, it will essentially delete the entire contents of
> the
> .ost file, leaving them with nothing. Is this a sound theory or paranoid
> conjecture? Has anyone found a solid tool to convert 2003 Outlook clients
> from ost to pst? Any other pitfalls I should be aware of, in case you've
> suffered the same hell we are?
>
> TIA
>
> Steve

0
sewasser1 (3)
5/16/2006 11:04:23 PM
Hi,

It must be finding the match in Outlooks autocomplete cache (*.nk2 file),
try renaming this file, restart Outlook and see what happens.

Leif

> Sue,
>
> Thank you for your help, that is exactly what I did this morning. Good
> deeds never go unpunished, so my next question (hopefully the last) is,
> when users type in a name in the to field, it does resolve by underlining
> the name, but fails delivering. If they click the "To:" button and choose
> from the GAL, it works fine. What am I missing here? This is internal
> mail, of course.
>
> Thank you again.
>
> Steve
> "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <suemvp@outlookcode.com> wrote in message
> Outlook 2003 is much better than previous versions about not connecting to
> new or damaged mailboxes. Users should see a choice between connecting to
> the new mailbox, which will give them mail access, or connecting to their
> old offline folders. Once you've confirmed for yourself that this is the
> way it works, you'll want to unlock the mailbox access so you can send an
> email message to these users telling them what to do. They'll need to
> start Outlook with the offline folders and move or export everything to a
> .pst file. They can then restart Outlook with the live mailbox and import
> everything from the .pst file.
>
> --
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
>   Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
>     http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm
>   and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
>     Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
>     http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx
>
> "Steve W" <sewasser@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I know we only talk when there's a crisis.
>>
>> In short, we lost our exchange 2003 server. Reinstalled Win2k Advanced,
>> Exchange 2003, recreated mailboxes. The old IS was blown away, we're
>> restoring a backup. In the meantime, I have many sales and execs who sync
>> an .ost. I've locked all the mailboxes in fear that if they connect and
>> Outlook wants to sync, it will essentially delete the entire contents of
>> the
>> .ost file, leaving them with nothing. Is this a sound theory or paranoid
>> conjecture? Has anyone found a solid tool to convert 2003 Outlook clients
>> from ost to pst? Any other pitfalls I should be aware of, in case you've
>> suffered the same hell we are?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Steve

Outlook Web
I have a question I was hoping someone might be able to anwer for me. I have 3 computers all running Windows Server 2003. Computer 1 is my DC and acting as my web server. Computer 2 is my SQL Server. Computer 3 I have as my Exchange Server. Now, since my web server is running on COmputer 1, how can I use the functionality of Outlook Web if port 80 is already being forwarded to Computer 1 for my website? Is there some type of configuration that can take place on Computer 1 so it will allow Outlook Web to go to COmputer 3? I hope this is not confusing and any input would be greatly apprec...

Help, problem with set up Outlook 2003
I have Outlook 2003. When I was setting up Outlook with the wizard, initially I was setting up Outlook to use my office web exchange server. Then it said I needed to be on line. Then I found out that I would only be able to access Outlook when in my office, which I did not want. So then I wanted to cancel this type of set up & not use the server and only wanted to set up an email account. I am unable to change the set up. Outlook keeps trying to access online & connect to the Server ( which was never set up) when I try to cancel my computer freezes up. I don't kn...

Outlook/Exchange 2000 Recurring Messages
We are having a problem with either Outlook 2000 or Exchange 2000. Several users repeatedly are getting their recurring reminders from appointments that have happened years before. I have checked the knowledge base to no avail. Has anyone else experienced this? Steve Have you tried running Outlook once from the start | run line, with the /cleanreminders switch? <"full path to outlook.exe" /cleanreminders> Steve Holtgrewe wrote: > We are having a problem with either Outlook 2000 or > Exchange 2000. Several users repeatedly are getting their > recurring rem...

how to get info from outlook express to outlook
I HAVE JUST BOUGHT A NEW COMPUTER. ON MY OLD COMPUTER I WAS USING OUTLOOK EXPRESS AND NOW I WANT TO USE MICROSOFT OUTLOOK ON MY NEW COMPUTER. IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN GET MY INFORMATION OFF MY OLD ONE TO MY NEW ONE. I HAVE FOLDERS SET UP IN OUTLOOK EXPRESS WITH SEVERAL DIFFERENT EMAILS IN THERE. I DIDN'T KNOW IF THERE WAS A WAY TO GET ALL M INFORMATION TRANSFERRED TO MY NEW COMPUTER FROM MY OLD ONE. PLEASE HELP. THANKS BECKY You need to fix your more serious problem, the broken caps lock key, before we can help you with your question. "becky" <bsba@watchtv.net&g...

OUTLOOK EXPRESS 02-21-10
IS THERE ANY WAY TO DELETE A MESSAGE SENT IN ERROR. EMERGENCY. HELP ME PLEASE Not directly! Once you send an email, it resides on the recipient's ISP's server and if the recipient has downlpaded his email message, it resides on the recipient's computer (and alsp may still reside on the ISP's server). Your only chance is to call the recipient's ISP and ask if the recipient has downloaded hos email. If noy, ask the ISP to delete the email from the server. Steve santus@penn.com "Dick G./AKA: Richard" <grismo@verizon.net> wrote in me...

Setting up Outlook Connector
I have payed for msn premium service and wish to setup my outlook 2000 to send and receive mail through my hotmail account. Apparently, I need to use outlook connector. Where do I find this software? How do I set it up in outlook. SMTP? POP3? If you are speaking of the Office Outlook Connector for MSN it has not released as of yet. When it does release however you will have to have Outlook 2002 (XP) or 2003 because the connector does not work with Outlook 2000. I hope this information is helpful. Robert Findlay Partner Technical Lead -- Outlook/Office Setup Microsoft Technical Supp...

cannot send email through outlook 2002
When trying to send an email , I get cannot send encrypted email . there are no certificates found OL2002: Unable to send encrypted email when offl (SOX020313700153) TITLE: OL2002: Unable to send encrypted email when offl [SOOPENV ] Encryption continued to work; however, [2002 - W_2660 ] ID: SOX020313700153 CRT:Mar 13 2020 MOD:Mar 13 2020 STS:Cust <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>...

Outlook icons
Is there a legend somewhere explaining all the Outlook icons? I couldn't find anything in the Help file (Outlook Express has an icon legend in the Help file) or the Support site. I have some emails getting stuck in Outbox and I never saw this icon before. Thanks Joe Germanoski joegerm@hotmail.com Hi Joe, What does it look like? I don't know of an existing legend but it's a nice idea putting one up. Regards, -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "...

Urgent Urgent Urgent Urgent
I am posting this query in continuation to the query posted by Anna (we are colleagues). Our software license is as follows: RMS – Headquarter : a. HQs 5 Store Base Pack RMS Stores Operations : a. 5 Single Store b. 1-3 stations Could you please explain what this 1-3 stations license means? We have a merchandise shop where it is difficult to manage with one POS during the Formula One Race days. We need to have two POS in this shop but the inventory cannot be split into two as this will create a lot of confusion. Is it possible to connect the two POS to a single database so that ...

urgent: snap to connectionpoint does not work anymore
Hi, I'm using visio 2000 to draw an UML diagram. After adding several shapes suddenly when trying to add a dependency, binary association, or anything between two classes, the connector does not snap to the connectionpoints of the shapes to connect. I can not add an interface shape to a class neither. When opening another UML diagram (in a different file) it works fine. Thanks for the response. Serge Desmedt. ...

Outlook and Outlook Express #7
I use Outlook express for sending messages and for storing email addresses and I use Outlook for backing up to from my PDA. I am on broadband and the computer is usually left on 24/7 My problem is this, every day or so I sometimes find email address in my Outlook address contacts. I didnt put them there and they gave somehow been transfered from my Outlook Express to my Outlook. I have checked everything I can to try and stop it but I must be missing something. Has anyone got any ideas? Howard ...

HTML signature in Outlook 2007?
Hello, Is there a way to insert an HTML signature in Outlook 2007? Because if you go to Tools -> Options -> Mail Format -> Signatures, you can create some in the embedded editor, but there is no way to do some *REAL* HTML editing (ie: a table, image, etc). Thanks a lot! Carlos If you are thinking about an (animated image or similar)then you cannot = in Office 2007. This is still possible in Office 2003 and before but = this was removed from Office 2007 --=20 Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be ackno...

Outlook wants FrontPage
When I try to look at some email messages in Outlook, I get prompted to provide MS FrontPage disc as it tries to open FrontPage. I do have FrontPage installed. I can quickly hit cancel and get around it but is there a setting or something that can prevent this from happening? Thanks -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com Insert the CD and have Office have it's way. Something probably got damaged. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Br...

microsoft outlook
trying to setup email account using an exchange server. when i setup user in outlook it only gives me pop3 and imap options. where is the microsoft exchange option. ...

Outlook #322
Ok here'smy delima, How do I use one user id on my laptop and have another user use the same user id and use outlook with their information in it. is there a way to switch between users on outlook itself and not have to make another user id? "JB Brooks Sr." <JB Brooks Sr.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1838EAB-8769-42D4-895E-E99A8E861A4E@microsoft.com... > Ok here'smy delima, How do I use one user id on my laptop and have another > user use the same user id and use outlook with their information in it. is > there a way to switch between ...

Outlook Anywhere and Out of Office Assistant
I have an Outlook Anywhere connection to my Exchange 2007 server configured in cached exchange mode. Everything seems to work EXCEPT the Out of Office assistant. Whenever I try to use that feature I'm told the server is unavailable. I've been told this was a problem that began with Vista and continues with Win 7 because the client is more "picky" about security issues than were earlier client operating systems. Anyone have experience with this and suggestions for things I can try? I'm new here, hoping for help. Thanks so much, Jim Robertson Did it ever ...

How to import Outlook Express messages into MS Outlook 2007
Hi, My computer runs Windows 7, and I would like to import messages from Outlook Express(My old computer that ran WinXP). I have the .dbx files archived to an external drive, and copied and pasted them to a folder on the windows desktop. When I run the import function in Outlook 2007, I can't get it to point to the folder where the messages are stored. I have a feeling this is not going to work with Windows 7, but if it can, please let me know what I'm doing wrong. If not, is there a way around this to get the messages into Outlook? Thanks in advance. "...

Outlook Express will not send receipt
I have Windows Me, Outlook Express 5.0. I receive emails that request a receipt; I checked send receipt always and tried checking ask me first. It tries to send a receipt but then says something like "outlook was unable to send the receipt" It doesn't tell me why or how to fix it. Can anyone help? Thanks. ...

Outlook 2003 contacts problems
After carrying out a detect and repair on Outlook it returned to its default settings. I must have discarded my customised settings during the detect and repair. I have managed to restore my mail folders and contacts. Searching the web it seems the customised settings/ account settings are not in the pst file and I will have to manually set them up again. My question is about contacts, I can't get the contacts to work as my email addressbook. In contacts when I try contact properties/outlook address book the "show this folder as an e-mail address book" is greyed out. Can ...

using outlook and outlook express on the same computer
I just installed Outlook 2003 on my home computer which runs Windows XP. My wife and I each have a seperate user account on the same computer. I would like to set Outlook as my default email program and my wife would like to continue using OE as her default program. Each time I change a default setting on on account, it seems to change the same setting on all accounts on the computer. Is there a way to do this? Thanks! Create seperate users - His & Hers - for windows, then install OL under His win account/login "Jeffryrb" <Jeffryrb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Outlook passwords
Outlook does not retain saved passwords despite checking the box. It prompts for passwords after every shutdown and startup. What should I do? remove the profile and create a new one. >-----Original Message----- >Outlook does not retain saved passwords despite checking >the box. It prompts for passwords after every shutdown >and startup. What should I do? >. > ...

Outlook 2007
Is it possible to stop Reminders from popping up to Remind me of things I never wanted to be Reminded of? Like Mothers Day, St, Davids Day etc. Drives me nuts... Thanks -- Confusion will be my epitaph... Sure, open those events and turn off the reminder. -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.html Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007: http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon "Appalachia" <Appalachia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94E5...

How to add German Dictionary in Outlook 2003 #2
Hi All, I need to add German Dictionary to outlook 2003, Can somebody guide how to do that...... Thanks in advance. ...

need urgent help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hi i wanted to be able to add or upload images from the form? i have a field called image which is a data type OLE Object, i right click on the field click on the insert object option on the menu an a bitmap image is linked having browsed for it and clicked on the link check box. i want to be able to add images from the form not go to the datasheet view? can you help me please!!!!!!!! also i wanted to have a button assigned to a text box in the form in which you input the image path( where the image is located) and a click of a button the image is displayed in the datatype OLE object f...

saving outlook 2007 signature as a template
I have created a signature in outlook 2007 and I want to save it as a template for easy access. Can I save it, if so to where and what procedure do I go through to open the saved template. If you saved a signature via Options>Mail Format>Signatures the various options are listed under 'choose default signature' in the creation / save process. A signature is not a template its simply added to a msg following the criteria you previously set (Above) "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EE12623C-A29C-4C8E-B686-27D6CE989BC3@...