Unread count on "Deleted items" (2003)

Is there any way to prevent the display of unread item count next to the
"Deleted Items" folder?

I'm forever deleting stuff without reading it, only to have to go into
"Deleted Items" in order to turn off the "unread" state.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html

Not that I know of.  Have you tried Right clicking the Deleted Items folder
and using the Mark all as Read button? It's fast.

--

Regards

Judy Gleeson
MVP Outlook
Trainer and Consultant   www.pragmatix.com.au
My suggested settings for Outlook 2003 are FREE on my website.

..
"Swifty" <Steve.J.Swift@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to prevent the display of unread item count next to the
> "Deleted Items" folder?
>
> I'm forever deleting stuff without reading it, only to have to go into
> "Deleted Items" in order to turn off the "unread" state.
>
> --
> Steve Swift
> http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
> http://www.ringers.org.uk

0
Judy
5/16/2008 6:40:23 AM
Judy Gleeson (MVP Outlook) wrote:
> Not that I know of.  Have you tried Right clicking the Deleted Items folder
> and using the Mark all as Read button? It's fast.

Wow! Two solutions for the price of one! I'd never noticed "Mark all
read" in the folders context menu. Not only that, you made me happy to
have plenty of SPAM to use as cannon-fodder in my experiment!

Haven't been this happy in quite a while. Thank you!

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
http://www.ringers.org.uk
You're welcome.  I'm glad to have offered the extra information.

At times it's an awkward balance here between answering the exact question
asked and guessing what the poster is actually trying to do.

> Judy Gleeson (MVP Outlook) wrote:
>> Not that I know of.  Have you tried Right clicking the Deleted Items
>> folder and using the Mark all as Read button? It's fast.
>
> Wow! Two solutions for the price of one! I'd never noticed "Mark all read"
> in the folders context menu. Not only that, you made me happy to have
> plenty of SPAM to use as cannon-fodder in my experiment!
>
> Haven't been this happy in quite a while. Thank you!
>

> --
> Steve Swift
> http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
> http://www.ringers.org.uk

0
Judy
5/19/2008 1:06:41 AM
Judy Gleeson (MVP Outlook) wrote:
> At times it's an awkward balance here between answering the exact question
> asked and guessing what the poster is actually trying to do.

Which is exactly balanced by the posters dilemma: Do I describe my
problem in minute detail, and risk people falling asleep before getting
to my punchline, or do I abbreviate it and risk ambiguity? :-)

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
http://www.ringers.org.uk

Retention of Deleted Items messages
I would like to force deleted items to be purged from the Deleted Items folder after a set number (7) of days. To put it another way, I would like a message to stay in a users Deleted Items folder for only 7 days and have the system "empty" it automatically. This is not the same as setting the "Keep Deleted Items for (7 days)" on the Mailbox Store, Limits properties. Same goes for a System Policy for Limits. These affect the retention of "emptied" items, not messages currently in the Deleted Items folder. I cannot find a KB article that addresses this seem...

OK to delete Deleted Items folder?

Server Wide
Does anyone know of a command to run that will restore deleted items out of the dumpster into the users Deleted Items folder? Thanks in advance! Exmerge - choose dumpster in the options and uncheck messages and folders. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm "VMC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

Exchange 5.5 / Outlook 2000 hags when emptying Deleted Items folder
Anyone have any ideas why this might be happening AV or have you made any changes lately to your server and forgot to run the Performance Optimzer afterwards? assuming of course that you arent deleting a bunch of emails and it only appears to hang that is... On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 00:08:48 GMT, "HighTide" <nospam@noway.net> wrote: >Anyone have any ideas why this might be happening > It happens when deleting multiple emails at once. It is OK when deleting a single email "Andy David - Exchange MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in mes...

Deleted Items Retention Storage
One of my databases has grown rapidly over the past few weeks. I have reduced the deleted items retention time which has addressed the symptom but not the problem. I suspect that one or two users are receiving and deleting a large volume of mail. Is there a utility or other mechanism to determine the space used by messages deleted but maintained by the deleted items retention policy? If so, can you determine the volume taken by individual mailboxes? Thanks and regards, -Carl Sanger On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 11:09:07 -0800, "Carl Sanger" <Carl Sanger@discussions.microsof...

download new mail, it gets posted to my Deleted items folder instead of my inbox
When I download new mail, it gets posted to my Deleted items folder instead of my inbox. I can then move my new mail into my inbox. I have checked for macros and rules and have found none that would point this. Any suggestions?? ...

Deleted Items?
On the properties sheet of a mail store and the limits tab of said sheet there's a setting for "keep deleted items for x days" and I've set it for 7 days. Does that mean that anything emptied from any user mailbox in that store (from the deleted items or elsewhere) is held on the server for that long? If so, what's the best way to restore messages that were deleted 5 days ago? I can use dumpster in some cases but perhaps there's a better way? Thanks, Dan Using the latest version of Exmerge you can collect dumpster items into a PST. See: http://support.micro...

Deleted Items #8
Is there a way to set Outlook to delete items from the deleted items folder upon exiting WITHOUT having to go to each computer? On 19 Sep 2006 12:44:41 -0700, "chad" <slidellinternational@gmail.com> wrote: >Is there a way to set Outlook to delete items from the deleted items >folder upon exiting WITHOUT having to go to each computer? Group Policy with the outlook adm will probably let you do that. Which you get by downloading the Office Resource Kit, I believe... -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburn...

removing deleted items
Running exchange 2003 on server 2003 I would like to immediately delete users deleted items. Is there a place in System Manager where you can immediately set this. Also I am looking for the area where I select the time that my sytem policicies run? Thanks Mark wrote: > Running exchange 2003 on server 2003 I would like to immediately > delete users deleted items. Is there a place in System Manager where > you can immediately set this. Also I am looking for the area where I > select the time that my sytem policicies run? > > Thanks See if http://support.microsoft.c...

Deleted items folder growing spontaneously
I have outlook 2000. Every item that is sent to the deleted items folder is turned into an appointment. Also, whenever I open up the deleted items folder, about 20 new appointments are created. I have scanned with SAVCE and Adaware but found nothing. I can't find any reference to this in the group. Please Help! Thanks! How are you sending them to the folder? What type of mail account do you use? right click on deleted folder and choose properties - what form is set as the default form? (should be ipm.post) -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24...

Outlook 2003
Hi Is it possible to order the deleted items by date of deletion in outlook 2003? Many thanks Lee Lee Atkinson <leeatkinsonlincs@hotmail.com> wrote: > Is it possible to order the deleted items by date of deletion in > outlook 2003? Use the Field Chooser to add the Modified time to the Deleted Items folder header bar (the one that says "From", "Subject", "Received", etc. and sort on that time. Deleting an item is a modification, so I would expect the modified date to be affected, giving you the most accurate value of the item's deleted time....

Cannot delete into deleted items
When I click a message, and then hit Delete, the only thing that happens to the message is it gets a StrikeTrough line on it and it stays in the inbox, just like that. I want it to completely move itself into the Deleted Items folder, just like it did in previous versions!! Can you help me? ...

rule to move to deleted items after sending, not copy
I send some emails that I want moved to the deleted items folder after being sent. I do not want a copy put there. I want the email to disappear from Sent Items. I see no way to do that. Please help. Disable the generic "Save a copy" option in Outlook. Also see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/sortoutgoingmail.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "dgm"...

Deleted Items Not Deleting
We have a problem on our Exchange Server in that it is keeping a HUGE deleted items section for our users and it never flushes. We had originally used 15 days to store seleted items, but when we saw that it was storing to much info, we cut it to 3 days. When we checked again 4 days later the deleted item size was still the same. We then set it to zero and checked again the next day - same problem. We restart our server every night, and we have run a full defrag on all the message stores. And we still show users with 125K in the mailboxes, but 3.2 Gigs in their deleted items column ...

Outlook2002
I delete items with the X from my inbox and they get lined out and stay in the inbox. How do I get them to delete to the deleted items folder? Mike <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I delete items with the X from my inbox and they get > lined out and stay in the inbox. How do I get them to > delete to the deleted items folder? What type of account are you using? If IMAP, this is normal behavior. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991 Brian.Tillman is the name, smiths-aerospace.com is the domain....

Deleted Items #7
When a message gets deleted from a mailbox and the default item retention time has expired, Is there a way to access the database from any source or third party application and retrive the item. Also when the message is purged from the database what happens to the space it occupied and is it possible to read the database area to retrive the deleted item Thank you in advance once it's purged, there is no way I know of to access the message, except by restoring the DB from a time frame before the message was purged...when it's purged, that space is now considered "whitespace&...

Making custom Outlook 2007 folders emptiable like "Deleted Items"
I want to create a "MyDumpster" subfolder under "Inbox" and have it offer the "Empty 'MyDumpster' Folder" option in the context menu appearing when I right-click it in the Navigation pane. I do not want to write a "Delete Folder" macro and bind it to a new menu button. Instead, I want the new folder to possess something akin to an "Emptiable" property similarly to the "Deleted Items" folder. How do I do this, please? Use the Application.FolderContextMenuDisplay() event. You will need to add a CommandBarButto...

Unable to delete messages in Deleted Items Folder
Server : Exchange 5.5 SP4 Client Outlook 2000 1) Delete item in outlook are moved to the Deleted Items folder. 2) If you try to delete a message in the deleted items folder everything is ok. 3) If you select more than one item in the deleted items folder and hit [Del] Outlook waits indefinitely for Exchange to delete the messages. Anyone ever encountered this problem ? How can I resolve it ? I suspect that you are experiencing problems with your exchange database Do an integrity check (eseutil/g) and defragmentation (eseutil /d) of your database. Regards, Dejan Foro All-Exchange GmbH S...

Deleted Items #2
Hi Is it possible to Restrict users from empty their deleted items folder on E3 sever? Yes I mean RESTRICT! :) TIA. There is no practical way to do this. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91E2EF61-7A58-4067-AB8B-091BEBEB4629@microsoft.com... > Hi > Is it possible to Restrict users from empty their deleted items folder on > E3 > sever? > Yes I mean RESTRICT! :) > TIA. ...

deleted items folder
I have no deleted items folder in my livemail folder pane. When I delete an item there seems to be no way to get it back. I'm sure this is an operator problem, but how do I find/create the deleted items folder and how do I make it show up in the folder pane??? Is the account expanded so that you see the Inbox, Junk e-mail, Drafts, and Sent items? -- Ron Sommer MS MVP-Mail "lrgduck" <lrgduck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1FCF6802-CC3C-4574-A4A8-604E8E48410B@microsoft.com... > I have no deleted items folder in my livemail folder pa...

Exmerge and Deleted Items Retension
Hello, When I use Exmerge on a mailbox does it recover Deleted Items? When a domain users leaves the company they sometimes toss all their e-mail into the Deleted Items bin and click "Empty". I create a profile in outlook to open their mailbox. I would then select the "Deleted Items" folder then "Tools" and "Recover Deleted Items". Then I would export the mailbox to a ..pst and hand the .pst to a manager or replacement. Can I do the same thing by using Exmerge without going through all those steps to recover deleted e-mail? Thanks On Mon, 22 Ma...

Deleted Items #2
Hi, One of my users deleted some emails from her inbox, and she wanted to know if there is a way to sort by deleted date. There is 13000 deleted items and she cant remeber the name. THANKS YOU, ANTHONY ...

What OL2003 does after you clear many messages from Deleted Items
I find this annoying and am wondering if anyone else has noticed it. I use OL2003 with a PST (no Exchange) on XPSP2. My PST is usually not much over 100MB. When going into Deleted Items and clearing out, I don't know, on the order of at least 500 or 1000 messages, I notice a sudden amount of disk activity. I've used Sysinternal's Filemon to find that it's Outlook, presumably doing some kind of subtle behind-the-scenes compaction. (Note that I have AutoArchive disabled, so it's not that.) Problem is that this stealth compaction goes on for 10, 15, 20 minutes or more,...

Email stuck in Deleted Items folder (2007)
Using Outlook 2007, I accidentally hit the delete key for the wrong email. I can see it in the Deleted Items folder, but cannot move it back to the Inbox or to any other folder. I've tried dragging it, Ctrl-Shift-V, and right-click + Move. They all appear to work, but the email remains in the Deleted Items folder. Can someone help me move it back? Jennifer Murphy wrote: > Using Outlook 2007, I accidentally hit the delete key for the wrong > email. I can see it in the Deleted Items folder, but cannot move it > back to the Inbox or to any other folder. I've tried dragging it,...

new mails ending up in Deleted Items automatically
One of my colleges at work is experiencing a strange problem. When he receive mails some of them ends up in Deleted Items automatically. I have checked that the build in Junkmail filter is disabled and he has now rules at all that could automove anything - as far as I can see. This happens on his computer only. Any ideas? Application: Outlook 2003 SP2 / WindowsXP SP2 Connection: Exchange 2003 _and_ 2-3 POP3 accounts (receives all mail through pop3 at the moment - we all do that by the way.) /Christian ...