unknown e-mail recipient

My Outlook is sending e-mails to addresses that I do not
know.  The e-mails do not show up in my outbox or sent
box, but I find out about them when the e-mail is
returned for some reason.  This is happening on an almost
daily basis.
0
mrsjdh (1)

"Kelly" <mrsjdh@comcast.net> wrote in message
> My Outlook is sending e-mails to addresses that I do not
> know.  The e-mails do not show up in my outbox or sent
> box, but I find out about them when the e-mail is
> returned for some reason.  This is happening on an almost
> daily basis.

Outlook is not sending anything. These emails are bounces caused by an
infected machine that is spoofing the "reply-to" address as your email
address.
They will stop when the person who owns the machine realises that they are
infected.

Just delete them.

0
me6 (309)
5/18/2004 3:56:22 PM
Gordon <me6@privacy.net> wrote:

> Outlook is not sending anything. These emails are bounces caused by an
> infected machine that is spoofing the "reply-to" address as your email
> address.

Ah, no.  It's spoofing the sender address.
--
Brian Tillman
0
> Gordon <me6@privacy.net> wrote:
>

>>Outlook is not sending anything. These emails are bounces caused by an
>>infected machine that is spoofing the "reply-to" address as your email
>>address.
>

> Ah, no.  It's spoofing the sender address.

Well, whatever. Its a spoof.

--
gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk

To email me replace the obvious!
0
me6 (309)
5/18/2004 7:07:41 PM
So what is a spoof, and how does it get my address?

0
anonymous (74725)
5/19/2004 6:11:34 PM
Kelly cogitated deeply and scribbled thusly:
> So what is a spoof, and how does it get my address?

It can get your address from ANY document or file on the computer -
maybe a newsgroup post, or an email that has been forwarded many times,
even from a website. Some viruses now randomly make up addresses, just
using the part after the "@" as a start - I've had spoof emails to
non-existing addresses on my domain that I KNOW have not been used.

--
gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk

To email me replace the obvious!
0
me6 (309)
5/19/2004 6:39:24 PM
Kelly <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> So what is a spoof, and how does it get my address?

As Gordon says, but one frequent way is that a virus has infected a computer
where your name is in the address book.  The virus then sends itself to
other addresses in the address book, choosing an address at random for the
sender.  The message then appears to come from that sender.
--
Brian Tillman

0
Tillmabg (988)
5/20/2004 6:23:44 PM
Brian Tillman cogitated deeply and scribbled thusly:

> Kelly <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

>>So what is a spoof, and how does it get my address?
>

> As Gordon says, but one frequent way is that a virus has infected a computer
> where your name is in the address book.  The virus then sends itself to
> other addresses in the address book, choosing an address at random for the
> sender.  The message then appears to come from that sender.

the problem appears to be that recent viruses use email addresses from
ANYWHERE on the PC, not just the addressbook! They also seem to be
constructing addresses from unrelated words - I have had several spoof
emails sent to addresses at my domain that never existed, will never
exist, and have never ever been used anywhere!

--
gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk

To email me replace the obvious!
0
me6 (309)

View User account which is submitting mails to IMS in 5.5
Hi , Few users connect to the mail server from internet using the IP address and send/receive mails.To stop relaying in my mail server, i selected only one option of " Users who authenticate succesfully can send mail ". With this setting it was working fine till Mydoom Virus came out.Now because of the virus, there are lot of unwanted mails in the IMS Queue.I Could check the IMC out folder and found that these mails are coming from users from Internet who are on dialup. Since only authenticated users can send mails,i feel few PC's connecting from internet are...

CRM 4.0 E-mail router cannot send external e-mails.
Hi there, I have CRM 4.0.I can send e-mails from web client to all internal users.This is working great.But I cannot send e-mails to external domains. I am using exchange server 2003 and Exchange server is different server from CRM 4.0 . I'm testing e-mail router interface,Test results are success. I am checking exchange server virtual server settings for relay,Relay setup is okey for send to outside of this exchange organization.Granted access working for my crm server ip. I cannot find any resource for this issue. Q1.Can I monitor CRM E-mail router traffics? Q2.CRM E-mail Router h...

Junk Mail Filter
I have the junk mail filtering turned off but my Junk Mail folder keeps filling up. A few of the messages in the folder are from the blocked senders list but most are from the safe senders list and are also in my contacts list. I stll receive other, not filtered mail in my inbox. Any ideas why my contacts and other messages, not on the blocked senders list, are filtered when the junk mail filter is set to off? Have you checked for filtering at the email's web service? Also, what about in your anti-virus program? "Ohio Ron" <Ohio Ron@discussions.microsoft.co...

Unable to Open Your Default e-mail folders #2
Hi Guys, Trying to start Outlook 2002 up and keep getting the following error message: - Unable to Open Your Default e-mail folders Any tips to resolve this problem please TIA Did this work before and just suddenly stop? Have you verified your profile is set up correctly? -- Kathleen Orland Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "lez" wrote: > Hi Guys, > > Trying to start Outlook 2002 up and keep getting the following error > message: - > > Unable to Open Your Default e-mail folders > > Any tips to resol...

Mail forwarding problems to external recipients
Hi! I am new to this newsgoup so I hope you can all bear with me. I've just started at a new company and I'm trying to make head and tail of everything, and I've come across a problem. We have 1x Exchange 2003 Server and clients are using Outlook 2000. When I set up a Rule in the Rules Wizard to forward emails and run the rule my external mail address receives nothing. However, if I set the rule up to forward to my internal exchange mailbox then I get the emails without a problem. I do not know if this is a policy issue (although I am inclined to doubt it as my OU has a defa...

'The messaging interface has returned an unknown error-if the problem persists, restart Outlook'
Hi - I am running Outlook 2002, SP-2, under Windows XP Home edition, SP-1. I use MS Word as my message editor. For the past few months, I get the following error message in a dialog from Outlook: 'The messaging interface has returned an unknown error-if the problem persists, restart Outlook' This occurs when I either create a new message or note or edit an existing message or note and then leave it open for more than just a minute or two, rather than closing or saving and closing it. I have run the "Detect and Repair" menu option in Outlook several times, but that has n...

Unknown error 0x80040201 #2
Having trouble with some users, they keep getting the below mentioned error while sending and receiving e-mails. All POP3 settings are correct and mail does get received but while sending the message comes up. Funny thing is that e-mails still go out. Only happens while sending... Error msg: Unknown error 0x80040201 Al <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Having trouble with some users, they keep getting the below mentioned > error while sending and receiving e-mails. All POP3 settings are > correct and mail does get received but while sending the message > com...

New Mail icon gone
Hi, wheneven new email arrives, I use to have a small yellow envelope icon at the bottom of my Task Bar. Recently, I am not having it. How do I reset this function. Note that I am NOT referring to Display notification message when new mail arrives. Thanks in advance! Please reply to eguana2001@yahoo.com ...

cannot see new created e-mail
some users cannot see new created e-mail account in global address book, why? I use copy... function to create new account in AD from existing user... addtional info: exchange 2003 and outlook 2003 ...

Merging mail folders?
I just got a new computer and I imported mail from Eudora, which established my personal folders. Then, I set up my account to recieve mail, but it created a new root directory and a new inbox. Now all the new mail I get goes to this new directory. How can I merge the two, or at least assure all new mail goes to the main inbox? Is the mail account on an LDAP server? "Carlito" <Carlito@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA068FB8-5877-49DC-B878-00DDF307BA3E@microsoft.com... >I just got a new computer and I imported mail from Eudora, which >establish...

Unknown Error
I find it incredible that Microsoft will allow crappy software to pervade their software regime. I am helping my son with his exemail email to do the simple task of deleting his "Deleted Items" folder that contains over 3000 items. Some items can be deleted one at a time but after a few successful deletions the "Unknown Error" appears and one must jump to a new item on the list to see if it can be deleted. selecting several items to be deleted at once nearly always results in "Unknown Error". The task of deleting is so time consuming and frustratin...

E-mail stationary problems
When i make a stationary for e-mail it often happens that font change while typing. Is it possible that lock the font and size ...

Hi -- I have SBS2003 running Exchange Server 2003. I have a user with a primary email address and several email aliases registered in his AD user profile. This user can send email with his primary email address. But when he tries to send email using one of the registered aliases, the email is immediately returned undeliverable with the error "You do not have permission to send to this recipient." What do I need to do to enable these aliases? Thanks, CL Charles Lavin wrote: > Hi -- > > I have SBS2003 running Exchange Server 2003. I have a user with a > primary e...

Outlook 2003
I browsed the most recent 20 pages but can't seem to find a reply to my exact problem. I have mail in my Outbox that won't send. I am a broadnand user connecting to my POP 3 account. My connection (Outlook is not working off line) is live and I receive mail OK. My settings are to send/receive manually What I have noticed is that when a new mail is created and I hit send, it places the mail in the Outbox, BUT it has a date of "None" and the Envelope Icon is open, not closed (as if I have not licked and sealed it). I can delete the mail, close and re-open Outlook, w...

Cannot Send e-mail... again!
Received the following error message: The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Re: Non Profit Program', Account: 'imap.1and1.com', Server: 'smtp.1and1.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E Checked settings and nothing has changed since the last time (6/28/10). Help! Looks like you are running into a port 25 block. As a general rule, the owner of the port 25 SMTP server you are using must be the same as the entity providing your Internet connection at that moment. In your case the work...

Mail merge and excel
I need to merge a list of names, adddresses, and phone numbers from an excel spreadsheet and print them on a directory booklet with color photos using Publishers 2003 . Could anybody point me to the right directionss. I will be great if someone could work me throught vis telephone. Caveboy wrote: > I need to merge a list of names, adddresses, and phone numbers from > an excel spreadsheet and print them on a directory booklet with color > photos using Publishers 2003 . Could anybody point me to the right > directionss. I will be great if someone could work me throught vis > t...

Not a New User, but a New version of Outlook, can't send e-mail
I received an Evaluation copy of Office 2003 from a Microsoft Launch Event in my area. I installed it and was impressed when it picked up all the account information, personal folders, and rules from the previous version (Office 2003 Beta, uninstalled). Howver, the New, Reply, Reply All, and Forward buttons are inactive. As is Options. No error messages, just no funcationality. I activated the software. Now I'm wondering why Microsoft would put out an Evaluation copy that a user could not evaluate. Is there any way to make this thing work? The eval versions have expired. Check out ...

Mail merge w/Excel & Outlook
I want to mail merge the data from an excel spreadsheet into an Outlook email. The excel spreadsheet contains 1000+ rows of lines of data. It contains the following columns. Agent Name | Agent Email | Client Name | Client Email There are 100 different agent names/emails but 1000 different client/name emails. Currently I can only figure out how to send one email per agent per client. So the agent is receiving multiple emails with each individual client name listed. This seems redundent. My goal is I'd like to send ONE email to each agent. In that one email I would li...

E-Merge Attachments
Using Outlook 2002 / XP Prof., I have tried to do a email mailmerge with an attached powerpoint presentation. The merge worked except the attachment/insert was not sent with the message. It was only possible using the "Attachment" option rather than "HTML or "Plain Text" in the mail format box on the final send menu. However, this attaches the whole email message and the pps as an attachment. The added annoyance is that using this option is asks for permission to use the address book and you have to sit and qualify each email, which is great for a large list!...

Excel Mailings
I was wondering if it possible to create envelops with data that I have in Excel. If so please explain how? Thanks. To create envelopes, it's easiest to use Microsoft Word. In Word, use the Mail Merge wizard to set up the envelopes, choosing your Excel file as the data source. There are Mail Merge instructions here: http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/ Rob wrote: > I was wondering if it possible to create envelops with > data that I have in Excel. If so please explain how? > Thanks. -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.co...

How to order e-mails in Hotmail?
Hi all, I have a problem with Hotmail. That is where is the button / list to let Hotmail order emails by date / name? Strange that could not find one. Thanks a lot. Ask Hotmail - it is not an Outlook question. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, lichuan.nj@gmail.com asked: | Hi all, I have a problem with Hotmail. That is where is the button / | list to let Hotmail order emails by date / name? Strange that could ...

rejected e-mails
just downloaded outlook express 6 and can't send any e- mails error message 421. The 421 error code means that the outgoing server that you're trying to send through has been shut down and is no longer responding. Check that the name of the outgoing server in your account is correct. If it is, contact your ISP and ask them whether there's a problem with their servers (apparently cox.net is currently having problems, according to some other posts). -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights <...

E-Mails open immediately
Perhaps this is unusual to ask, but in WLM, all I need to do is click on an email for it to open. I would like to change the view so that I have to double click before anything opens............this way I can delete anything that appears to be a problem before opening it and possibly allowing it access to the system. View | Layout. Uncheck the Reading Pane. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "RKR2" <RKR2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7B4A4BF9-7580-430B-9850-C35419395798@microsoft.com... > Perh...

New Mail & Folder Expansion
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C59B22.A2EECEC0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have several rules which send new mail messages to sub-folders that = I've created in Outlook. Typically I keep many of these folder trees = collapsed. I'm searching for an Outlook setting or registry edit that = will automatically expand the folder tree to show any folders that = receive a new message. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Kind Regards, --=20 Colin M. McGroarty, MCSE, MCP...

unknown e-mail recipient
My Outlook is sending e-mails to addresses that I do not know. The e-mails do not show up in my outbox or sent box, but I find out about them when the e-mail is returned for some reason. This is happening on an almost daily basis. "Kelly" <mrsjdh@comcast.net> wrote in message news:eb2201c43cf0$092e66b0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > My Outlook is sending e-mails to addresses that I do not > know. The e-mails do not show up in my outbox or sent > box, but I find out about them when the e-mail is > returned for some reason. This is happening on an almost > daily ba...