Uninstalling and Reinstalling Outlook

I was downloading my personal POP-3 email into Outlook on my notebook and
then I created a new profile so I could also  download exchange email:

Now, it prompts me for a username and password and it never lets me in. I
never set one up for my default account.

There is now only one profile set up on my computer in the email window in
the control panel, it is the default
"Outlook" profile.

I posted this a few days ago and didn't receive any responses on how to
correct this.

I am just going to uninstall and reinstall Outlook XP.

1. I have a backup copy of a .pst file from about 5 days prior to this
happening so I can just use this file to restore. Should I try to copy the
current .pst file from Windows to use this? Any potential issues with it,
with my current situation?

2. Any other general advice on what I should/shouldn't do during the
uninstall/install process?

Thanks!

0
Stan

What happens if you change the authentication type for the Exchange profile?

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Stan W. <stanwelks(nocrap)@yahoo.com> asked:

| I was downloading my personal POP-3 email into Outlook on my notebook
| and then I created a new profile so I could also  download exchange
| email:
|
| Now, it prompts me for a username and password and it never lets me
| in. I never set one up for my default account.
|
| There is now only one profile set up on my computer in the email
| window in the control panel, it is the default
| "Outlook" profile.
|
| I posted this a few days ago and didn't receive any responses on how
| to correct this.
|
| I am just going to uninstall and reinstall Outlook XP.
|
| 1. I have a backup copy of a .pst file from about 5 days prior to this
| happening so I can just use this file to restore. Should I try to
| copy the current .pst file from Windows to use this? Any potential
| issues with it, with my current situation?
|
| 2. Any other general advice on what I should/shouldn't do during the
| uninstall/install process?
|

| Thanks!

0
MillyS1 (1480)
8/22/2003 9:24:34 PM
I do not see the authentication type option and i do not see a security tab.
Just a general/advanced/connection/remote mail tabs.

do you mean the drop down that is labeled "Logon network security"?
Should I change this to "none"?

Thanks!

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <MillyS@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Control Panel->Mail Icon->E-Mail Accounts->View or Change->Highlight
> Exchange Account->Change->More settings.  On the Security Tab.
>
> --�
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
>

> After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer
> Stan W. <stanwelks(nocrap)@yahoo.com> asked:
>
> | where is this option?
> |

> | "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <MillyS@mvps.org> wrote in message
> || What happens if you change the authentication type for the Exchange
> || profile?
> || --�
> || Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
> || Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
> || After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer
> || Stan W. <stanwelks(nocrap)@yahoo.com> asked:

0
Stan
8/22/2003 10:41:28 PM
Sorry - I am using Outlook 2003.  If you set the Logon Network Security to
none, you will always be prompted for a password.  Set it to NT
Authentication and it will use your Windows password (you said you did not
set an Outlook password, correct?)

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Stan W. <stanwelks(nocrap)@yahoo.com> asked:

| I do not see the authentication type option and i do not see a
| security tab. Just a general/advanced/connection/remote mail tabs.
|

| do you mean the drop down that is labeled "Logon network security"?
| Should I change this to "none"?
|
| Thanks!
|
| "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <MillyS@mvps.org> wrote in message
|| Control Panel->Mail Icon->E-Mail Accounts->View or Change->Highlight
|| Exchange Account->Change->More settings.  On the Security Tab.
|| --�
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
|| After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer
|| Stan W. <stanwelks(nocrap)@yahoo.com> asked:
||| where is this option?
||| "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <MillyS@mvps.org> wrote in message

0
MillyS1 (1480)
8/23/2003 12:44:54 AM
Try both authentication types. I believe the first one will work.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Having searched the archives,
Stan W. <stanwelks(nocrap)@yahoo.com> typed:
| the only options:
| password authentication
|
| and
|
| distributed password authentication
|
| and
|
| None
|

| "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <MillyS@mvps.org> wrote in message
|| Sorry - I am using Outlook 2003.  If you set the Logon Network
|| Security to none, you will always be prompted for a password.  Set
|| it to NT Authentication and it will use your Windows password (you
|| said you did not set an Outlook password, correct?)
|| --�
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
|| After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer
|| Stan W. <stanwelks(nocrap)@yahoo.com> asked:
||| I do not see the authentication type option and i do not see a
||| security tab. Just a general/advanced/connection/remote mail tabs.
||| do you mean the drop down that is labeled "Logon network security"?
||| Should I change this to "none"?
||| Thanks!
||| "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <MillyS@mvps.org> wrote in message

0
MillyS1 (1480)
8/23/2003 10:38:19 PM
Alternatively, try creating a new profile.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Having searched the archives,
Stan W. <stanwelks(nocrap)@yahoo.com> typed:
| the only options:
| password authentication
|
| and
|
| distributed password authentication
|
| and
|
| None
|

| "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <MillyS@mvps.org> wrote in message
|| Sorry - I am using Outlook 2003.  If you set the Logon Network
|| Security to none, you will always be prompted for a password.  Set
|| it to NT Authentication and it will use your Windows password (you
|| said you did not set an Outlook password, correct?)
|| --�
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
|| After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer
|| Stan W. <stanwelks(nocrap)@yahoo.com> asked:
||| I do not see the authentication type option and i do not see a
||| security tab. Just a general/advanced/connection/remote mail tabs.
||| do you mean the drop down that is labeled "Logon network security"?
||| Should I change this to "none"?
||| Thanks!
||| "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <MillyS@mvps.org> wrote in message

0
MillyS1 (1480)

outlook crashes after open
Hello, I have a user who has administrative rights and Windows XP Pro Sp2 English Office 2003 . When we open the e-mail , it crashes and gives following error. AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 11.0.5510.0 AppStamp:3f1380f0 ModName: mso.dll ModVer: 11.0.5606.0 ModStamp:3f334cce fDebug: 0 Offset: 0001f442 When we would like to try in different machine , also makes the same problem. I checked Exchange 2003 System Manager and also Active Directory users and rights but same the same. I checked Technet , no answer has about this issue. I tried Remove the Profile from local machine and synchronize...

reinstalling the first Exchange in the site
Our first Exchange server 5.5 is down due to hardware problem so we are trying to install a new Exchange 5.5 server with the same name so we could retore our data. Do we join this server to the existing site or create a new site or if we join this server to the existing site, wouldn't it give us an error since the old Exchange server name already exist in the site? Please advise. Very urgent. Thank you. hgregori@yahoo.com this article should help... http://www.microsoft.com/Exchange/techinfo/administration/55/BackupRestore.asp "Helga" <hgregori@yahoo.com-nospam&g...

Importing contacts to Outlook XP
I need to be able to export Contacts from one outolook profile to another one. But, when I do so instead of replacing the ones that are old, it creates another one. So my question is: What does Outlook considers when it replaces the contact list that you import with the one that is already there? Even when i select "Replace Duplicates with item imported" still creates a double contact with the new information. Any help really apreciated! ...

OUtlook 2000 Refuses to Launch
Hi I'm having this problem quite a lot lately. I click on the Outlook icon and the programme doesn't launch. Then it prevents me from logging out and I get the error message: 'Outlook.Exe is not responding'. I'm running Windows XP Home with SP2 installed. Thanks -- Many thanks JD ...

the system cannot find the file specified outlook 2003 #2
Attachments show up in emails, but when you try to open them, the messages comes up "the system cannot find the file specified", but other recipiants on same email can open theirs. ...

Is outlook 2003 can directly convert Lotus Smart Suite 97 to outlook 2003
Is outlook 2003 can directly convert Lotus Smart Suite 97 to outlook 2003 In news:1170922265.333065.77950@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com, snakesboy <snakesboys@gmail.com> typed: > Is outlook 2003 can directly convert Lotus Smart Suite 97 to outlook > 2003 Hi - I'd try posting this in microsoft.public.outlook, as it isn't an Exchange server issue. ...

Cannot uninstall MSIE to reinstall with Outlook Express upgrade
I need to upgrade to the newest version of OE but to do so I would have to uninstall MSIE as The installer senses that a newer version is already installed and will not let me proceed with installation. Help?! Hi - that's odd, as OE is part of IE. Have you run Windows Update recently? Also note - This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an Outlook Express news group. Try po...

Outlook is duplicating my emails?
Hi, I have outlook 2002, and it seems to duplicate all the emails that go to my Inbox. It duplicates them after they are download off the pop3 server. Please advise Akhil Do you have any rules that don't end in "Stop Processing" actions? "Akhil Gupta" <akhilstyle@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:076401c39fd6$af1c48b0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I have outlook 2002, and it seems to duplicate all the > emails that go to my Inbox. > > It duplicates them after they are download off the pop3 > server. ...

Adding Menu Options on Right Mouse Button in Outlook 2003?
I am using outlook 2003 and I want to put some additional menus on right mouse context menu of Unread Mail Folder, is it possible ? Best Regards, Luqman Outlook does not directly expose the right-click context menu in its CommandBars collection. You will, however, see a new right-click command is when the item selected is using a custom form that includes one or more custom actions. You can also add a custom action without using a custom form, as demonstrated at http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=526 Richard Kagerer has posted a code sample at http://www.outlookcode.com/...

Problems moving outlook.pst from one computer to another
Folks, [Please include victor@whyaduck.org in your reply, as my direct access to these newsgroups is limited.] In an attempt to transfer all of my Outlook content from one computer to another, I moved the entire outlook.pst file from one computer to the other, renaming the old outlook.pst on the receiving computer to old-outlook.pst, and storing the new outlook.pst in the same place. Both computers are running Windows XP and Outlook 2002. For the most part this process worked! I have all of my mail folders, settings, etc. on the receiving computer, and I have been able to send and receive...

Uninstall client for outlook
Hi Guys, I am having trouble installing Desktop client for outlook for CRM 3.0. When I try to install, I get an error saying somthing like the version is not compatible or the client already exists. When I checked, I found that C:\Program Files\Microsoft CRM\Client folder already exists and has some files in it. There is also MSDE database for CRM on the machine. I want to completely uninstall this client. But I do not see the entries for CRM client and MSDE database under Add/Remove programs. Can anyone tell me how to manually uninstall CRM client as well the MSDE database? You help is gr...

Cannot open attachments in outlook
One of our customers has a problem where they try to open an attachment in outlook, but are returned with an error which just says "cannot open this file". This happens with ANY attachment. However, if you save the attachment, you can then open it. The day before, this was not happening. Any ideas on why they cannot open attachments now, when they could yesterday? ...

Set default account in Outlook 2003
Hello! I have a client who has a hosted Exchange account (AppRiver) and a POP3 account in his stand-alone computer that is NOT connected to an SBS domain (but I am cross-posting there because so many large brains hang out there!). He wants to have the Exchange account be the default, but it sometimes flips to be the POP3 account "without me touching it" as he says. I have found several references to the exact opposite problem when on an SBS network, i.e., people want the POP3 to be the default but it reverts to Exchange. The fix for that is to add the following. Key: HKEY_LO...

how do I exit working offline I use outlook
mike <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: <nothing> Ask in the body of the message, not the subject. Click File and uncheck Work Offline. -- Brian Tillman ...

Outlook CRM desktop client can't create personal stores
Hi, I'm trying to install the Outlook CRM desktop client on Outlook 2003 SP2 on a Windows 2003 R2 SP2 Terminal server , which is also hosting an Exchange Server 2003 installation and is a domain controller. I know, bad practice, not supported, but the machine is just serving for about 8 users. The CRM server is on an other server. I installed the client succesfull on some other machines, including terminal servers, using the same user account. The user is domain admin. I'm getting this error: in the crm30clientsetup.log 23:06:09| Info| MAPISVC.INF: C:\WINDOWS\system32\mapisv...

Outlook Functionality
I have lost a couple of things in outlook. I tried to put the News command onto the View menu. My finger slipped off the mouse button while dragging and I lost the command altogether. It disappeared from the organise dialog box and never appeared on the view menu. It seems to be lost in cyberspace as no amount of repairing or reinstalling Outlook from the Office disk Setup files will bring it back. I know I can go to newsgroups from Outlook Express but each time I open OE, it downloads my mail which I do not want to do. I prefer the elegance of news in Outlook. Can I repair this damage caused...

Customize Outlook Today #40
When clicking the "Customize Outlook Today" button nothing happens.. Any suggestions? KG <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When clicking the "Customize Outlook Today" button > nothing happens.. Any suggestions? Yes, Google for one of the 100,000 prior answers to this question that have already been posted. -- Brian Tillman ...

Outlook 2000 error upon Exit
HI I am stumped where this error is coming from and how to fix it. I tried searching google but I was not successful finding a resolution. Anyone ever seen this error before ? (See attachment) "Dave Warren" <profpsycho@me2u2me.com> wrote in message news:u6j1o1diaaq45r8m0f2j512ssnbf7oiuvg@4ax.com... > HI > > I am stumped where this error is coming from and how to fix it. I > tried searching google but I was not successful finding a resolution. > > Anyone ever seen this error before ? > > (See attachment) Try a detect and repair (from the help me...

Complete uninstall
How do you do a 100% uninstall of Outlook, so that it can be reinstalled cleanly? My copy of Outlook has gotten corrupted (vague "unknown error" messages whenever I try to do nearly anything), and I haven't been able to fix it. I want to reinstall the program, so I I removed it using the Office Installer update feature, then rebooted and reinstalled, using the same feature. No luck--the reinstallation had the same problems. Next, I completely uninstalled Office, rebooted and reinstalled. Same result--I've still got the same problems in Outlook. Now, I realize the pro...

Outlook can't connect to outgoing mail sevrer
Hello all, For some reason Outlook 2002 on my PC running XP Home (no Exchange server) can't connect anymore to the outgoing mail server that I've been using for years. All of a sudden last week I was not able to send email from any accounts using this outgoing mail server (SMTP). I can still receive all mail sent to those accounts, but Outlook can't connect to the outgoing mail server in order to send mail. If I try to send mail form these accounts, the message just sits in my Outbox and NEVER actually sends. This is what I've tried/tested so far: 1.) I've tried to delete...

Microsoft Money 2002 install/uninstall
Money installation wizard starts every time I try to enter the control panel. I already have Money 2002 installed. However, after uninstalling, the program continues to be shown in my program list on the install/uninstall window. Please help. ...

Outlook Express #293
I've moved Store Folder on to mapped network drive. When I restart computer without connecting the network dirve, Outlook Express creates new Store Folder on local drive. How prevent OE before creating new Store Folder. The best solution would be that OE display error massage and dosn't download new mails. Thx for any help. On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 10:11:50 +0100, Pawe� Nartowski <pawelnartowski@interia.pl> wrote: >I've moved Store Folder on to mapped network drive. > That's your problem, right there. Outlook Express cannot work like that. -- <<<SgtRich&g...

outlook 2003 #264
Why does mail get stuck in the outbox? Even after opening a msg in the outbox and resending, it stays in the outbox as a non-italic listing. I've noticed that unless the entry in the outbox is in italic type, it never goes. Internet connectivity is OK. Thanks. -- Bill wh@photosourcefolio.com PhotoSourceFolio webmaster http://www.photosourcefolio.com ...

100% reinstall of Vista Ultimate and Office Pro 2007-Save before and Restore after Outlook folders and settings
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C904ED.B0216A70 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I'm preparing for a 100% fresh re-install of Vista Ultimate and MS = Office Pro 2007. Having zero faith in the FAST and other such offerings = from MS, I desire to save my MS Outlook settings and folders and then = restore them after the total reinstall operation. If I've posted in the wrong newsgroup, please inform me. Thanks, Karl ------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C904ED.B0216A70 Content-Type:...

outlook.ost cannot be accessed
Anyone get an error like "outlook.ost cannot be accessed"? It says I need to connect to the exchange Server at least one to continue. I tried that at work and I get the same error. I tried running scanost.exe per tech support and same error. Have you recreated your profile recently? Are you able to connect to the Exchange server? If yes, then try creating a new .ost. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google....