Unable to use original text prefix character

I want to use a '>' to prefix original text in replies and forwards. I
have it set up to do so in my options, but it still just uses the blue
bars around the original text.

I think the options are just being ignored. Even if I force plain text
format, it still composes in HTML unless I change it manually in the
new message's toolbar.

Anyone have any ideas on this? My IT guy cleared my profile and it had
no effect on the problem.

Thanks!

waterrockets@gmail.com <waterrockets@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to use a '>' to prefix original text in replies and forwards. I
> have it set up to do so in my options, but it still just uses the blue
> bars around the original text.
>
> I think the options are just being ignored. Even if I force plain text
> format, it still composes in HTML unless I change it manually in the
> new message's toolbar.

Replies always use the format of the original mesage unless you manually
change it with the compose window's Format menu.

> Anyone have any ideas on this? My IT guy cleared my profile and it had
> no effect on the problem.

With Outlook 2002 and 2003 you can have all mail converted to plain text if
you wish, then the ">" options will work.  And to make the task even easier,
a tool like
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/ is worthwhile.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
10/27/2005 8:49:46 PM
Thanks. Converting incoming messages to plain text works, but it stinks
because everybody emails me in HTML with images and such.

Why can't we just have some reasonable internet quoting in an HTML
message? Ugh.

-Mike

Brian Tillman wrote:
> waterrockets@gmail.com <waterrockets@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I want to use a '>' to prefix original text in replies and forwards. I
> > have it set up to do so in my options, but it still just uses the blue
> > bars around the original text.
> >
> > I think the options are just being ignored. Even if I force plain text
> > format, it still composes in HTML unless I change it manually in the
> > new message's toolbar.
>
> Replies always use the format of the original mesage unless you manually
> change it with the compose window's Format menu.
>
> > Anyone have any ideas on this? My IT guy cleared my profile and it had
> > no effect on the problem.
>
> With Outlook 2002 and 2003 you can have all mail converted to plain text if
> you wish, then the ">" options will work.  And to make the task even easier,
> a tool like
> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/ is worthwhile.
> --
> Brian Tillman

waterrockets@gmail.com <waterrockets@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks. Converting incoming messages to plain text works, but it
> stinks because everybody emails me in HTML with images and such.

I prefer it, myself.  There's very, very little information conveyed in
formatting that is not in the text of the message itself and Plain Text in
no way prevents the attachment of images, so if people send you non-embedded
images, you should still see them.

> Why can't we just have some reasonable internet quoting in an HTML
> message? Ugh.

HTML is inherently a formatted environment that specifies a specific
presentation.  Trying to reformat an HTML message to contain information
added by the replyer to be embedded in the original message itself, with its
own formatting, while keeping the formatting of the original text
surrounding the added information seems fraught with difficulty and nearly
impossible to do correctly.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
10/28/2005 2:09:54 PM
> HTML is inherently a formatted environment that specifies a specific
> presentation.  Trying to reformat an HTML message to contain information
> added by the replyer to be embedded in the original message itself, with its
> own formatting, while keeping the formatting of the original text
> surrounding the added information seems fraught with difficulty and nearly
> impossible to do correctly.

Agreed, but that's not what I want. All I want to do is eliminate the
blue quoting bars, and insert '>' at the beginning of each line. It
would be adequate if I could work in HTML, and just convert the
original message to plain text with '>' quoting, inserting <CR> at
column 75. I wish I had a checkbox for that.

I could write a quick utility, but using it would require an extra step
for each reply.

-Mike

How do I cut and paste using a macro....
Hello. I'm having trouble creating a macro that will let me cut postcodes from one cell and paste into another cell. I would appreciate if anybody can help me. What I have, is a large excel spreadsheet with a couple of thousand names and addresses. The address fields start in column B through to G. Each line of the address should be in a separate cell within each row, but the postcodes have all ended up in the same cell as the last line of the address. I need to cut the postcodes out of these cells and paste them into column H which is empty. The addresses are different lengths, leavi...

Using Money 98 in a virtual PC
I have used Money 98 for a good many years and am attached to it. It has run in 98, 2000, and XP without a hitch. I now have a 64 bit Windows 7 machine with a virtual PC installed which operates on XP as its operating system. I have my Money 98 installed there, but in that environment it runs with glacial slowness and I don't know why. All of the other apps I have in that VPC run just fine. I did notice that instead of using My Money.mny it uses My Money XP.mny. I can't imagine why that would cause slowing. Can anyone tell me where to look for answers? Thanks In microsoft....

Using Autocorrect to remove spaces
Hi, I am looking at how to remove extra spaces, and have been thinking about using Autocorrect. I have been reading another thread which suggested; For Each cell In Selection cell.Value = WorksheetFunction.Trim(cell.Text) Next What I have been using is; With Application.AutoCorrect .AddReplacement "Want", "Replace" End With Works well within a loop changing any "Replace" text with "Want". Something I didn't get Substitute to do correctly within a loop. What I can't get AutoCorrect to do though is work with spaces, so...

Unable to open calendar

using embedded .xsd vs file based .xsd
I am thinking of embedding my schemas as embedded resources instead of reading it using URI at run-time. I came across some snags while trying to do just that such as, previously unknown to me, XmlValidatingReader.Schemas.Add was using XmlValidatingReader.Resolver to resolve my schemas using the URI method. Resolver property was never set, so the reader simply ignored any external references even though one of the schema explicitly imports the other one. I verified this by removing the referred schema from the schema collection, and the code chugged along fine. But when I changed the code to ...

Error sending email from Order using template
I created an email template to be used to confirm receipt of an order. It copies a few fields from the Order Form. It does not work, but shows a really helpful error message: MS CRM Web Page Dialog -An error has occurred; please consult your SA. Well, that's me. But I have no clue where to look. The built-in Order Thank You template shows the same behavior: Error. I made lots of email templates to be used from the Opportunity and Quote forms; these all work fine. I tried switching on tracing on the client (don't want to mess with the server registry keys) so I would get some ad...

using for-next index in range variable
MSDN seems to say that range values must be written in the A1 format. I need to compare a value in column D (sample IDs) of worksheet import and compare it to column A (location) of worksheet data. If the values are equal I need to set a cell in worksheet data equal to the sum of columns I:M in the same row that the sample ID = the location. Will something like this work: If worksheet(import).cell[D"i"] = worksheet(data).cell[A"j"] then worksheet(data).cell[k,j] = sum(worksheet(import).[I"i":M"i"] Is there a different, perhaps easier way to do this? ...

how can I use my e-mail addresses on excel xp with microsoft outlo #2
I need to use my addresses on Excel xp with Microsoft outlook. I want to use my excel file as a database that I can change and improve everyday. I need to send mails to more than 1 contact, so creating an e.mail link is not enough for me: in fact, if I click on it, I send my mail only to 1 address... Txs ...

Which shapes should be used?
I'm trying to draw a diagram which shows that an application is using odbc to access SQL Server database. I want to know which shapes I should use to represent the application, odbc, and SQL Server database. Thanks. ...

Using "OR" in an IF statement
I am trying to use the command OR in an If statement and I am having no luck. In Lotus 123 I could string commands by using #OR# to produce a common result. For example: =IF(J3="INVEST" #OR# IF(K3 = "INVEST",1,"NO")) I can't seem to make this work in Excel. Can anyone provide me with a correction? Doug, Like this =IF(OR(J3="Invest",K3="Invest"),"The true condition","the false condition") If the true or false condition is numeric then drop the quotes -- Mike When competing hypotheses are other...

Run a Query using VBA without User Interface
Hello, I have a VBA Macro that Opens an Append Query (see below), which works great, except for the end user has to answer the following MsAccess prompts: 1) You are about to run an append query that will modify data in your table. (They have to click Yes) 2) You are about to append 1 row(s). (They have to click Yes) I'd rather them not have to answer either question. Instead I'd like the Append Query to run and do what it's asked without any human intervention. Can this be done? Please help! VBA Macro Code: DoCmd.OpenQuery "tblTask_List Query", acViewNorm...

unable to scroll the page

Unable to start POP3, NNTP, IMAP4...

?WordArt, When Printing, First Character Has Dark Background?
Using Word or Publisher 2003, using WordArt, sometimes the document, including the WordArt, looks fine in Print Preview, but when I actually print (B&W is all I've tried), the first character of the WordArt has a dark background. If I have two WordArt objects in a document, one or the other will have the first character with a dark background. Explanation? Fix? -- (||) Nehmo (||) ...

how to use cursor to navigate active cells
With our Excel 2003, I could navigate to different cells by using the cursor keys. The cursor up key moved the active cell up. Left, right and down moved the active cell in the appropriate direction. I could select multiple cells by holding the shift key down and using the cursor keys to start selecting large groups of cells. Now, with Excel 2007, the cursor keys move the sheet around in the window, instead of moving the active cell in the indicated direction. I have found no way to select multiple cells. How can I get my Excel 2007 cursor keys to move the active cell, instead of moving t...

Text box scroll from record to record
Hi, I have a screen that shows records from a table. Next to each record is a command button to edit each record. If I click on the edit button a new window opens showing the fields for the record selected. In that window I have a text box. Sometimes, if I'm in that text box and scroll using the wheel on the mouse the data displayed will change from record to record from my table. Can someone tell my why this is happening? I'm running Access 2000 Thanks, -- Phil Its an annoying feature of Access, which while occasionally useful, is more often a PITA. You'll...

Check Register with original G/L posting
Is there a report out there that would tell me the original G/L coding of the invoices being paid on check runs for a particular date range? Thank you. Todd, There is no such 'canned report', but if you're looking to create your own, you could accomplish this by combining the code from 2 views I have published: Payables Apply Information: http://victoriayudin.com/2008/10/22/sql-view-ap-apply-in-gp/ Payables GL Distributions: http://victoriayudin.com/2008/11/28/sql-view-to-show-all-gl-distributions-for-ap-transactions/ -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions ...

How do I stop text from automatically filling another text box?
When I type in one box, the same text appears in another box. How do I unlink them? Someone answered my questions but the link isn't working so I can't see the response. Please answer again. Edit, Undo Synchronize. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Chicago" <Chicago@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:650076B3-99E6-4043-993C-7171FA4D0396@microsoft.com... > When I type in one box, the same text appears in another box. How do I > unlink them? > > Someone answered my...

Unable to conect

Running Total in report using net of two columns in third column
I have a client time/fees database of over 22k records. I have a report which provided a summary of all time booke and all fees charges to that client. What I require is two additional columns the first which provides a running total of time bookings and the second which provides a running total of the net of the time booked field less the fees charged field, i.e. the net of time bookings which have not been invoiced. I can do this in excel but in access I appear to be getting data from other clients which should not be included in the report. What type of field are you usin...

Using secondary email when distributing a Campaign Activity
Hello everyone, I'm looking for a way to use the marketing list's member primary AND secondary emails when send a email mass mailout from a campaign activity. I believe we could do it using the sdk, but am not sure how (plug-in, workflow?) Has anyone achieved this somehow? Thanks Hi Fred, Yes, our latest VEM (Vizola eMarketing Addin) module has this feature, please checkout http://www.vizola.com/vem - you can download and try the evaluation version - it also includes all the template usage + tracking and bounce features you need. On the COMPOSE EMAIL screen you are presented w...

Exchange 2003 Standard edition mobile SMS (text messaging)
My mobile phone accepts SMS (text messaging). Is there any way that I make exchange to notify every time that I receive a message or I even can create an email that will send a direct message to my mobile. I understand that I can activate the mobile feature of exchange but it will require the internet to be active on my mobile costing me more money. We have Exchange 2003 Standard edition Thank you. SMS was used by Exchange ActiveSync to initiate ActiveSync in Exchange Server 2003 before SP2. The actual delivery of mail would still require a data connection on your mobile device - t...