Unable to save password in Outlook 2003

I cannot seem to save my "network password" for Outlook 2003.  I tried
everything I can think of.  I tried editing the registry.  I use XP.  I try
going into Control Panel, go to mail and go thru the process there
and....nothing worked there.  I uninstalled Office the reinstalled
it.....nothing!  I even went as far as unistalling my internet software,
still...nothing!  Someone told me that XP will not save passwords.  My
Outlook express works fine.  Someone HELP!

0
steve-sue (4)

I also had this issue in Outlook 2003, but also in indows Live Messenger and
Internet Explorer 7.

I spend hours and hours searching the internet and could not find the
solution. The only possible solution you find on almost all forums (but does
not help in most cases is to repair the protected storage system provided
registry key: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290684.

So, here is a solution that is not even in the Microsoft knowledge base. It
helped me and hopefully many others. It was found because I new exactly when
it started to happen: after uninstalling a software program. The uninstall
procedure removed to many registry keys...

HERE WE GO...

Important: this solution contains information about how to modify the
registry. Make sure to back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure
that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. View the
following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base for information about how
to back up, restore, and modify the registry:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/

Follow the next steps to solve this issue:

1. Close all running programs
2. Click on [Start] » Run
3. Type "Regedit" and click [OK]
4. Open the following folder:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders
6. Enter "AppData" as a name
7. Double click the new entry
8. Enter "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data" in the value data field.
9. Close the registry editor

It is possible that additional registry keys are missing. Below is a list of
all keys that should exist in the "User Shell Folders". There are different
ways to add these keys again:
* Use the instructions provided on
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/usershellfolders.htm
* Add them manually by following the steps above
* Export the keys from a computer/user on which the issue does not occur,
and then importing them again.

To export and import:
1. Logon to Windows with a user account for which the issue does not occur
(this may also be a different workstation).
2. Click on [Start] » Run
3. Type "Regedit" and click [OK]
4. Open the following folder:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders
5. Right click the "User Shell Folders" key on the left and choose "Export".
Specify a name and location of for the export file and click [Save].
6. Close the registry editor
7. Logon to Windows with the user account that experiences this issue
8. Double click on the exported registry key you created in step 5.
9. Click [Yes] when asked if you are sure to add the information, then click
[OK] for the "successfully imported" message.

Registry keys that should exist in the "User Shell Folders" key.
The list below has the format "Key Name - Value Data". The type for all keys
is "Expandable String Value" (REG_EXPAND_SZ).

* AppData - %USERPROFILE%\Application Data
* Cache - %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
* Cookies - %USERPROFILE%\Cookies
* Desktop - %USERPROFILE%\Desktop
* Favorites - %USERPROFILE%\Favorites
* History - %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\History
* Local AppData - %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data
* Local Settings - %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings
* My Pictures - %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Pictures
* NetHood - %USERPROFILE%\NetHood
* Personal - %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\
* PrintHood - %USERPROFILE%\PrintHood
* Programs - %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs
* SendTo - %USERPROFILE%\SendTo
* Start Menu - %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu
* Startup - %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
* Templates - %USERPROFILE%\Templates

MORE INFORMATION
The "User Shell Folder" is a subkey of the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
registry. Entries in this subkey can also appear in the "Shell Folders"
subkey and in both HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER. The entries that
appear in user User Shell Folders take precedence over those in Shell
Folders. The entries that appear in HKEY_CURRENT_USER take precedence over
those in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
--
Thanks
JeePee

"Steve Nutgrass" wrote:

> I cannot seem to save my "network password" for Outlook 2003.  I tried
> everything I can think of.  I tried editing the registry.  I use XP.  I try
> going into Control Panel, go to mail and go thru the process there
> and....nothing worked there.  I uninstalled Office the reinstalled
> it.....nothing!  I even went as far as unistalling my internet software,
> still...nothing!  Someone told me that XP will not save passwords.  My
> Outlook express works fine.  Someone HELP!

0
JeePee (6)
5/23/2007 10:28:01 PM

"Steve Nutgrass" wrote:

> I cannot seem to save my "network password" for Outlook 2003.  I tried
> everything I can think of.  I tried editing the registry.  I use XP.  I try
> going into Control Panel, go to mail and go thru the process there
> and....nothing worked there.  I uninstalled Office the reinstalled
> it.....nothing!  I even went as far as unistalling my internet software,
> still...nothing!  Someone told me that XP will not save passwords.  My
> Outlook express works fine.  Someone HELP!

0
JeePee (6)

Inbox repair tool for Outlook
I don't have access to my current. Outlook.pst file which is rather perplexing. I haven't backed this up in forever in a day. So I don't have access to all of the e-mail addresses or dates, etc. They advise me to use the inbox repair tool. I have Windows NT 4.0 and I go into outlook and then go to detect and repair. From this point on I am totally lost. I do know that if I can use this utility, I might be able to retrieve my outlook.pst file. Once I get this utility to work. Then, I go to properties for the file and unclick all defaults. I will then have access to...

trial version--saving/converting
i downloaded the trial version, opened an old office 2000 database, but was not able to save or copy or really do anything with it. what's the point of the trial? or am i doing something wrong? secondly, is there any way for me to convert this old .mdb file into a .wdb file (since ms works database is the only database program that came with my new computer)? or am i going to be forced to buy ms office if i ever want to "access" this file again? Unlike other Office products, Access doesn't have a Save As option on the File menu. You opened a MDB file when you start...

First Time Opening Outlook
I just installed Outlook and when I try to open it, I get a popup message titled "Connecting to Microsoft Exhange Server". The message is, "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable." and a second popup says, "Configuring Outlook Accounts". The configuation process never does complete. I can even open outlook. Help! Thanks Ross Ross <Ross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just installed Outlook and when I try to open it, I get a popup > message titled "Connecting to Microsoft Exhange Server". The message > is, "You...

Unable to open calendar

Outlook across firewall #3
We are a small franchise and access our email using Outlook 2000. The head office has the Exchange server that hosts our email across a VPN using a Raptor firewall. 2 out of 6 or our Windows 2000 SP3 clients on the same network are having problems when they try to access their email for a second time. The error they get is "Unable to access Exchange Server". The only way to access the Exchange server again is to restart Windows2000. Then it will fail with the same error if they click on the Send/Receive a second time. Thanks in advance. ...

Outlook 2002 pst errors
For the past several months, my emails through my ISP are not being sent to my Outlook inbox. When trying to determine the problem, I receive an error message stating, " Errors have been detected in the file C:\Documents and Settings\owner\local settings\Application data\microsoft\ outlook\ outlook.pst. Can someone assist me with this problem? Thanks Run scanpst.exe against to check it for errors. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- <anonym...

Exchange 2003 user restrictions
Hi, This is with regard to exchange 2003 server,I have installed exchange 2003 on windows 2003 server.My out going and incoming mail is working fine.But i have been asked to restrict users with regard to outgoing mails. can some one tell how t configure this. A) Some list of users are only allowed to send mails to specific domains.but for other List of users should able to send mails to any domains no restriction for this list of users. B) Some list of users are not allowed to send mail internally to some particulaer users,For example :-its like two different project project A to ...

Put Outlook contact in Excel?
I am building an Excel list, and would like to put into a cell in Excel a reference or hyperlink to the Outlook contact for that record. I have tried dragging the Outlook contact into the Excel cell, but that doesn't work. Is there a way to do what I want? Thanks! Jeremy See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/links.htm for information on the = outlook: hyperlink syntax.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power ...

save a new number format for other worksheets
when i exit a worksheet the new number format i have created gets lost - how do i save it Jerry Austin Format a field in Personal.xls that uses it? -- HTH Bob Phillips "JerryAustin" <JerryAustin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2D10DBC4-CE16-4185-A52F-E7305DE1B392@microsoft.com... > when i exit a worksheet the new number format i have created gets lost - how > do i save it > Jerry Austin ...

Lost Address Book when importing to Outlook
I recently installed and started using Outlook 2003. I decided to import my address book from from Outlook Express 6. I did what I thought was the right thing... File>Import and Export>Import Internet Mail and Addresses>Outlook Express 4.x, 5.x, 6.x and the radio button for Do not import duplicate items. It imported my messages but not my address book, so I went ahead and manually entered the information for my contacts in Outlook. (Only 5 of them thank goodness so I remembered their info). When I went back to look at Outlook Express my address book was gone! I have another frie...

How do i set up outlook?
I just purchased a dell computer and it came with microsft office? I am trying to setup my outlook email account but i am not sure where to start. do you have to have an existing email account like hotmail or yahoo to get this setup? Please help!!! Sheariep wrote: > I just purchased a dell computer and it came with microsft office? I > am trying to setup my outlook email account but i am not sure where > to start. do you have to have an existing email account like hotmail > or yahoo to get this setup? Please help!!! You have to have a mail account somewhere if you want mail. Y...

Outlook 07 Causes App Hang
Any idea how to fix iTunes and Quicken app hangs related to OL '07? Problem signature: Problem Event Name: AppHangXProcB1 Application Name: iTunes.exe Application Version: 9.0.2.25 Application Timestamp: 4ae90227 Hang Signature: d774 Hang Type: 2080 Waiting on Application Name: OUTLOOK.EXE Waiting on Application Version: 12.0.6514.5000 OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1 Locale ID: 1033 Additional Hang Signature 1: 2da90c07e58bb4a0e1451fcc04515d29 Additional Hang Signature 2: 0d59 Additional Hang Signature 3: f247d96b0ecd058ec572f8bacec2de3c Additi...

Outlook meetings
Hi there, I am using Outlook 2003. Sometimes when I update an invitation to a meeting, by adding a few files, I am getting the meeting cancelled, recipients receive a cancelled message although I clicked an Update. Is there a possible solution for this? Thank you, T ...

unable to scroll the page

CRM/Outlook crashes when trying to remote
this works well for most of our users. The handful that are having problems have the following errors in the application event log: 1.) The description for Event ID ( 5972 ) in Source ( MSCRMAddin ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 80131509, , CEmailTagger::Run, 343. 2.) The description for Event ID ( 5909 ) in Source (...

Saving a worksheet as a jpg file?
I know how to save a chart as a jpg file, but I don't know how to save a worksheet as a jpg file. Can anyone tell me how? (The reason I want to do this is to send a worksheet to a Mac user who cannot [and who has no interest in learning how to] open Excel files, but who can open jpg files.) Many thanks. -- ---------- CWLee Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and promote for performance, not preferences. Use the Excel Camera Tool to take a picture of a pre-selected range on a worksheet. Copy the pictu...

Unable to start POP3, NNTP, IMAP4...

Unable to conect

Why don't I have a 'Send' button on my outlook express email page
I have downloaded Microsoft Office 2003. When I go into my Outlook Express email page I can write an email but I have no 'send' button showing on the page so that I can get the email sent off. Where is it....or how can I find it??? "rednil" <rednil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DCFFAA00-0E21-4704-B603-DC033EA95A78@microsoft.com... > I have downloaded Microsoft Office 2003. When I go into my Outlook > Express > email page I can write an email but I have no 'send' button showing on the > page so that I can get the...

Outlook without Exchange Server
I am new to outlook. I am trying to find out if Outlook 2003 can be used with pier-to-pier sertup in a small office with leass than 5 employees. The functionality desired would be to be able to forward and recieve messages, tasks, appointments, share and view calendar etc. I was wondering if outlook can be used within a workgroup in a LAN setup without having exchange server. Thanks, Athiff In news:1ad6001c423e0$2a80b120$a601280a@phx.gbl, Athiff <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: || I am new to outlook. I am trying to find out if Outlook || 2003 can be used with pier-...