I am running XP Pro and Office XP 2002. I currently use Outlook express on
this PC but want to switch over to Outlook. When I try to open Outlook I get
the message- Unable to open your default mail folders. Could not open item.
Try again. Any ideas what's going on ??? Thanks in advance!!!

--
Dennis

1
dhud64 (19)

Have you created a mail profile and installed your mail account(s)?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

ALWAYS post your Outlook version.

After furious head scratching, D. Hudson asked:

| I am running XP Pro and Office XP 2002. I currently use Outlook
| express on this PC but want to switch over to Outlook. When I try to
| open Outlook I get the message- Unable to open your default mail
| folders. Could not open item. Try again. Any ideas what's going on
| ??? Thanks in advance!!!

0
Milly
5/14/2009 5:34:11 AM
I'm going to have to plead ignorance here, sorry. When I get the message, my
option is to click ok. When I do that I get a new message that says- Would
you like to open your default file system instead? "yes - no" If I choose no
outlook closes, if I choose yes, my computer file system opens up showing my
"C" drive etc...
I cant eve get to the options or account settings. Hope this makes sense.

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <what@ever> wrote in message
> Have you created a mail profile and installed your mail account(s)?
>
> --
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
> ALWAYS post your Outlook version.
> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>

> After furious head scratching, D. Hudson asked:
>
> | I am running XP Pro and Office XP 2002. I currently use Outlook
> | express on this PC but want to switch over to Outlook. When I try to
> | open Outlook I get the message- Unable to open your default mail
> | folders. Could not open item. Try again. Any ideas what's going on
> | ??? Thanks in advance!!!

0
dhud64 (19)
5/14/2009 7:54:17 AM
Okay, I may have figured out what you're talking about. I right clicked on
the Outlook icon and chose properties, then clicked on set up e-mail
accounts and directories. Some of my accounts were already listed, but
others weren't. So I added them. Still having same problem.

"D. Hudson" <dhud64@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm going to have to plead ignorance here, sorry. When I get the message,
> my option is to click ok. When I do that I get a new message that says-
> Would you like to open your default file system instead? "yes - no" If I
> choose no outlook closes, if I choose yes, my computer file system opens
> up showing my "C" drive etc...
> I cant eve get to the options or account settings. Hope this makes sense.
>

> "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <what@ever> wrote in message
>> Have you created a mail profile and installed your mail account(s)?
>>
>> --
>> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>>
>> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
>> ALWAYS post your Outlook version.
>> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>>

>> After furious head scratching, D. Hudson asked:
>>
>> | I am running XP Pro and Office XP 2002. I currently use Outlook
>> | express on this PC but want to switch over to Outlook. When I try to
>> | open Outlook I get the message- Unable to open your default mail
>> | folders. Could not open item. Try again. Any ideas what's going on
>> | ??? Thanks in advance!!!

0
dhud64 (19)
5/14/2009 8:32:18 AM
With Outlook closed, use the Mail applet in the control panel, to create a
new Profile, add a data file, add the accounts then retest

> Okay, I may have figured out what you're talking about. I right clicked on
> the Outlook icon and chose properties, then clicked on set up e-mail
> accounts and directories. Some of my accounts were already listed, but
> others weren't. So I added them. Still having same problem.
>

> "D. Hudson" <dhud64@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm going to have to plead ignorance here, sorry. When I get the message,
>> my option is to click ok. When I do that I get a new message that says-
>> Would you like to open your default file system instead? "yes - no" If I
>> choose no outlook closes, if I choose yes, my computer file system opens
>> up showing my "C" drive etc...
>> I cant eve get to the options or account settings. Hope this makes sense.
>>

>> "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <what@ever> wrote in message
>>> Have you created a mail profile and installed your mail account(s)?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>>>
>>> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
>>> ALWAYS post your Outlook version.
>>> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>>>

>>> After furious head scratching, D. Hudson asked:

0
notvalid5776 (249)

How can I change the default pushbutton in a dialog?
Hi to all, Can someone please tell me what is the use of CDialog::SetDefID() and CDialog::GetDefID()? I tried to use them to change the default button of a dialog without success. Here's what I did: - Created an MFC dialog-based application. I called the project "Def" and therefore a class called "CDefDlg" is created. When I run the application a dialog box with "OK" and "Cancel" buttons is displayed. The "OK" button being the default button. - From the resource editor I added two buttons "Button1" (IDC_BUTTON1) and ...

mail flow count
Hi everybody, Are you guys aware of a tool that counts all the incoming/outgoing e-mails for an Exchange organization? It will probably count all the e-mails from the transition logs or from the Message Tracking logs. Thanks, Sorin The products usually recommended are Promodag Reports and Quest MessageStats, although if you want to do something for free, try LogParser (www.logparser.com) -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP http://www.msexchange.org/Neil_Hobson/ http://www.msexchangeblog.com "SorinD" <SorinD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75FF3408-E4FA-4E...

First Time Opening Outlook
I just installed Outlook and when I try to open it, I get a popup message titled "Connecting to Microsoft Exhange Server". The message is, "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable." and a second popup says, "Configuring Outlook Accounts". The configuation process never does complete. I can even open outlook. Help! Thanks Ross Ross <Ross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just installed Outlook and when I try to open it, I get a popup > message titled "Connecting to Microsoft Exhange Server". The message > is, "You...

Default cursor
Hi, How can I change the default cursor (cross) to a different one (say arrow or any other custom)? Benny ...

Unable to open calendar

Mail Box Size #2
Hi All, I have a user with a 6 gig + mailbox. We are using Exchange 2003 (enterprise) and Outlook 2003. He is now experiancing problems with the program running like a slug. It doesn't appear to be locking up, just taking for ever to do everything. He claims it was fine until front page crashed, which took the computer down (needing a re-boot) and outlook hasnt' worked right since. So what I have done, is delete the profile and recreate, appear to work for me, but now is locked up again. The auto archive does not appear to removing items from the mailbox. Does anyone hav...

unable to scroll the page

Unable to start POP3, NNTP, IMAP4...

Personal Folders #2
Hi, I really need some help........... I made a personal folder and always put my emails in seperate sub-folders after I read them. We have to keep our inbox fairly small or the server statrts yelling at us. PROBLEM! My personal folder is now just over 2gig in size. Outlook 2000 won't let me access the file. It says there is an error and to use the inbox scan to fix it. I use SCANPST.EXE, but even it comes up with a error. Is there a 3rd party program that will let me access this file? Maybe I can go in and delete some things to get it below the 2gig limit. Please email m...

Why can't I open any email jokes that friends send me with excel
I get email from friends that send me jokes to open with micro excel and I can't open them why? 1. Do you have Microsoft Excel installed on your computer? 2. What is the extension of the attachments with the jokes? Is it somejoke.XLS ? I never heard of Excel being a joke transporter but who knows? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 27 May 2007 13:54:00 -0700, Leona <Leona@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I get email from friends that send me jokes to open with micro excel and I >can't open them why? Its because Excel is only for serious work except, of c...

Outlook 2002
I am having an intermittant problem. I send e-mails, most of which go through, but many times they don't, even though they are in my sent mail. I have the program set to give me a delivery receipt and I don't get it when they don't go through. I'm in XP. Any help? Thanks ...

Lost Public Folders with Digital ID
Hi, I'm using Exchange 2003 with SP1 and a CA Server. I created my own Digital ID that I installed on my Outlook 2003. Somehow I lost my public folders after the installation. How do I get this back? Please advise. Digital ID is working fine except the above problem. And I got slow response when the root is not offline and subordinate have CRLs to execute. Does root need to be online when CRLs need to be executed? Thanks, Ricky Can you see these folders via another Outlook client? I have never seen a certificate cause public folders to disappear. When you say the root CA is...

Unable to conect

MSXML6 C++ unable to locate node

'OWA was unable to get to your inbox'

Unable to display the folder (have I lost my mail?)
I've just transferred all my mail from my mac via IMAP, and rather laboriously set up all my rules to get all my mailing lists in separate folders etc. Outlook has just decided that it can't display the two biggest folders because e:\documents and settings\administrator\local settings \application data\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst is in use and cannot be accessed. The file does not exist. I assume my mail is gone and I have to go and throw it at the IMAP server again, but could anyone tell me why this has happened and how to stop it from happening again? Is this all on a Mac?...

Mail blocking
I have exchange server 2003 i want to block mail from my domain to other domain but i want to allow for only 2 domain how i can do this ...

can i get my e-mail from cox.net on outlook express?
I want to be able to click on outlook and get my e-mails from my cox.net e-mail account. Can anyone help? "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E8B6B2F-172A-4B56-8836-2CBEAF510CF6@microsoft.com... >I want to be able to click on outlook and get my e-mails from my cox.net > e-mail account. Can anyone help? Sure. Cox can help. Read their help web pages for the setup info to define an e-mail account. Or call them (you are paying them, right?, so why not ask THEM?). Subject says "Outlook Express". Body says "Outlook"...

External Mail Problem #2
I have a user who is using Outlook 2000 within an Exchange 2003 environment. It seems that this user cannot send any external mail. The user always gets the following NDR back... "No route was found for this recipient server. Please contact your system administrator. <fqdn of server #5.4.4>" Everyone else in the organization can send/receive external mail fine. I have verified that the external address is correct as I was able to send/receive a message to that address. Any help is greatly appreciated! Could it be that the user is on separate server? Or is setup with In...

Unable to display
Hello Background: I using Ex2k. when i connect another mailbox in existing admin mailbox, it give error while i click on that particular mailbox. Error is Unable to display the folder. The information store could not br opened: Can anyone tell what exectally the problem, is this a permision or any thing else. Sudhir /Thanks Hello Sudhir In Exchange 2000 an Exchange Full administrator does not have te right to open an other mailbox by default , you need to add these accounts (or groups) to the Information Store object and give the appropriate permissions (send as + read as Greet Dirk ...