Unable to import outlook.pst

My harddrive crashed and I reinstalled Outlook 2003 and
got it running. I tried to bring Outlook.pst from an old
backup over and open it. I get the following message:

File access is denied. You do not have the permission
required to access the file c:\....

My user name is the same on both the old and new install.
Any suggestions?

Thank you, Gary
0
gary2310 (1)

On 14 May 2004 15:16, "Gary Knox" wrote:
>My harddrive crashed and I reinstalled Outlook 2003 and got it running.
>I tried to bring Outlook.pst from an old backup over and open it. I get
>the following message:
>
>File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to
>access the file c:\....
>
>My user name is the same on both the old and new install.
>Any suggestions?
>
>Thank you, Gary

I'm going to guess that you copied it back from a CD -- you need to make
sure and turn off the read-only attribute on the .PST file.  (Right-click
the file in Windows Explorer and choose properties)

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP-OneNote

0
bens1 (1425)
5/15/2004 1:45:58 AM
And DON'T import it - use File->Open to access the file and then drag and
drop to move the items into your default .pst.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Gary Knox asked:

| My harddrive crashed and I reinstalled Outlook 2003 and
| got it running. I tried to bring Outlook.pst from an old
| backup over and open it. I get the following message:
|
| File access is denied. You do not have the permission
| required to access the file c:\....
|
| My user name is the same on both the old and new install.
| Any suggestions?
|
| Thank you, Gary

0
MillyS9060 (3207)
5/15/2004 4:47:12 AM
The file is NOT read only (it came from a second hard=20
disk)

And I did try "Open" not import.

Any other ideas?

Thank you, Gary

and then drag and=20
>drop to move the items into your default .pst.
>
>--=81
>Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>
>Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion=20
intact.  Due to
>the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent=20
to my personal
>account will be deleted without reading.
>
>After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer,=20
Gary Knox asked:

>| My harddrive crashed and I reinstalled Outlook 2003 and
>| got it running. I tried to bring Outlook.pst from an=20
old
>| backup over and open it. I get the following message:
>|
>| File access is denied. You do not have the permission
>| required to access the file c:\....
>|
>| My user name is the same on both the old and new=20
install.
>| Any suggestions?
>|
>| Thank you, Gary=20
>

>.

0
anonymous (74721)
5/15/2004 12:52:14 PM
Gary

I am experiencing the same problem. Please can you let me
know if you find a solution.

Many thanks.

Clive

0
anonymous (74721)

First Time Opening Outlook
I just installed Outlook and when I try to open it, I get a popup message titled "Connecting to Microsoft Exhange Server". The message is, "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable." and a second popup says, "Configuring Outlook Accounts". The configuation process never does complete. I can even open outlook. Help! Thanks Ross Ross <Ross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just installed Outlook and when I try to open it, I get a popup > message titled "Connecting to Microsoft Exhange Server". The message > is, "You...

Unable to open calendar

Outlook across firewall #3
We are a small franchise and access our email using Outlook 2000. The head office has the Exchange server that hosts our email across a VPN using a Raptor firewall. 2 out of 6 or our Windows 2000 SP3 clients on the same network are having problems when they try to access their email for a second time. The error they get is "Unable to access Exchange Server". The only way to access the Exchange server again is to restart Windows2000. Then it will fail with the same error if they click on the Send/Receive a second time. Thanks in advance. ...

Outlook 2002 pst errors
For the past several months, my emails through my ISP are not being sent to my Outlook inbox. When trying to determine the problem, I receive an error message stating, " Errors have been detected in the file C:\Documents and Settings\owner\local settings\Application data\microsoft\ outlook\ outlook.pst. Can someone assist me with this problem? Thanks Run scanpst.exe against to check it for errors. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- <anonym...

transfer address and folders from outlook
I have a new computer and want to move my information fromm the 2003 program over to a 2003 program on the new computer. Is there direction on how to do this? Thanks >-----Original Message----- >I have a new computer and want to move my information >fromm the 2003 program over to a 2003 program on the new >computer. Is there direction on how to do this? Thanks >. >You can export the file into a pst copy it to the new PC and import the pst onto the new PC. You can, but you shouldn't. Importing and exporting are intended for operations where you need to change file ...

Password box comes up when starting Outlook 07
I have SBS 2008 installed, and my Users are connected after running the Connect wizard to connect to the domain. When starting Outlook, we're getting teh "Connect to domainname.com" box, and the password won't take. For the user name, I've tried "domainname\Username", just the user name, but no matter which I try, the password or user name is not accepted. I eventually just cancel out of this box. I'm perplexed as to why this is popping up at all, and why the password won't work. Thanks for any suggestions. Geordie You probably need Upda...

how do i import a psd image
I have a logo to import, it has rounded bottom corners. the box behind is white and this shows when the logo is place onto a coloured background. is there a way of importing a psd piece of art into word or publisher? That's a Photoshop format. If you have Photoshop, save it as a different type, such as .gif. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "CKESSEXGOV" <CKESSEXGOV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1D112647-6AED-4DEF-8C06-38270011F6CD@microsoft.com... >I have a logo to impo...

Outlook 2002 #147
Hi, I recently discovered some viruses on my system, (Windows 98) and since using the Norton Antivirus to get rid of them, Outlook wont' open. The flashscreen opens but then nothing else happens - it just won't respond. Norton Atnivirus deleted some files that it could not repair. I have un-installed and re-installed Outlook to sort the problem. But still no joy. Can anyone help? ...

outlook 2007
Tried to use outlook 2007 with new computer received to errors connection to microsoft exchange is unavailable. outlook must be online or connected to complete action. and, cannot open your default email folder. the file located c: etc. -- tradermike ------------------------------------------------------------------------ tradermike's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/192731.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/ms-office-support/1339341.htm http://forums.techarena.in Gee Mike ,that is a bummer -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the b...

outlook 2003 notes #2
ok in outlook 2002 and older versions you could drag an email to notes and outlook would convert the whole email to a note. with outlook 2003 if you do that you will only get the to, from time sent and the subject line. anyone know why this is? I get the entire body of the email when I do this. What is your mail format? Do you have any add-ins installed? -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP http://blogs.officezealot.com/cardoza/ Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 Author, Absolute Beginner's Guide to OneNote 2003 Lead Author, Access 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference ...

Put Outlook contact in Excel?
I am building an Excel list, and would like to put into a cell in Excel a reference or hyperlink to the Outlook contact for that record. I have tried dragging the Outlook contact into the Excel cell, but that doesn't work. Is there a way to do what I want? Thanks! Jeremy See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/links.htm for information on the = outlook: hyperlink syntax.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power ...

Lost Address Book when importing to Outlook
I recently installed and started using Outlook 2003. I decided to import my address book from from Outlook Express 6. I did what I thought was the right thing... File>Import and Export>Import Internet Mail and Addresses>Outlook Express 4.x, 5.x, 6.x and the radio button for Do not import duplicate items. It imported my messages but not my address book, so I went ahead and manually entered the information for my contacts in Outlook. (Only 5 of them thank goodness so I remembered their info). When I went back to look at Outlook Express my address book was gone! I have another frie...

Outlook 07 Causes App Hang
Any idea how to fix iTunes and Quicken app hangs related to OL '07? Problem signature: Problem Event Name: AppHangXProcB1 Application Name: iTunes.exe Application Version: 9.0.2.25 Application Timestamp: 4ae90227 Hang Signature: d774 Hang Type: 2080 Waiting on Application Name: OUTLOOK.EXE Waiting on Application Version: 12.0.6514.5000 OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1 Locale ID: 1033 Additional Hang Signature 1: 2da90c07e58bb4a0e1451fcc04515d29 Additional Hang Signature 2: 0d59 Additional Hang Signature 3: f247d96b0ecd058ec572f8bacec2de3c Additi...

Outlook meetings
Hi there, I am using Outlook 2003. Sometimes when I update an invitation to a meeting, by adding a few files, I am getting the meeting cancelled, recipients receive a cancelled message although I clicked an Update. Is there a possible solution for this? Thank you, T ...

How do i set up outlook?
I just purchased a dell computer and it came with microsft office? I am trying to setup my outlook email account but i am not sure where to start. do you have to have an existing email account like hotmail or yahoo to get this setup? Please help!!! Sheariep wrote: > I just purchased a dell computer and it came with microsft office? I > am trying to setup my outlook email account but i am not sure where > to start. do you have to have an existing email account like hotmail > or yahoo to get this setup? Please help!!! You have to have a mail account somewhere if you want mail. Y...

CRM/Outlook crashes when trying to remote
this works well for most of our users. The handful that are having problems have the following errors in the application event log: 1.) The description for Event ID ( 5972 ) in Source ( MSCRMAddin ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 80131509, , CEmailTagger::Run, 343. 2.) The description for Event ID ( 5909 ) in Source (...

unable to scroll the page

importing .pst file #2
I recently tried to import "outlook.pst" from one computer running Office 2003 to another running same. I imported "archive.pst" w/ no problem. When I attempt to import "outlook.pst", I get an error message that says one or more parameters are invalid. Can anyone help? Thanx http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx Try here I got some good answers.. Peace Michael H. "Phil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11cee01c3f55d$47da0520$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I recently tried to import "outlook.p...

Importing an Excel file into Money
I do my banking with Smith Barney. Although I could download directly into Money (or Quicken) there is a monthly charge to do this. I don't want to use Money or Quicken to pay my bills, simply to organize my finances better. I am able to download my account data into Excel. Is there anyway I can import from Excel into Money? I tried doing this using the import feature, but nothing happened when I selected the Excel file and clicked import (no error messages or anything). In microsoft.public.money, Cruzin wrote: >I do my banking with Smith Barney. Although I could >...

"No internet accounts were found to import"
seems to be common problem Outlook2K - but i haven't found an answer i want to import an O/Express (.iaf) email account - dead easy on my home machine using Tools/Accounts/import - but my works network machine doesn't have Tools/Accounts - it has Tools/Services so i tried File/Import/ImportInternetMailAccount and without even looking it responds: "No internet accounts were found to import" anyone know how to import an email account ? Can you switch the machine to Internet Mail Only mode: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/choosingmode.htm "JethroUK�" <rep...

Outlook 2002
I am having an intermittant problem. I send e-mails, most of which go through, but many times they don't, even though they are in my sent mail. I have the program set to give me a delivery receipt and I don't get it when they don't go through. I'm in XP. Any help? Thanks ...

Error Message when Importing Contacts
When trying to do an import I get an IE error message immediately stating "The ActiveX control did not download properly. The import is being stopped. Any suggestions? could be a number of things including browser security settings, permissions on the local machine, firewall issues. more details about your environment (o/s and patch level) would be helpful "Bedrock Nicki" <Bedrock Nicki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4469B908-78A6-4749-89F0-28252FD0A0E8@microsoft.com... > When trying to do an import I get an IE error message immediately stati...