unable to display #####.ost - another workstation has modified it

Have problems using Outlook 2003. Periodically I get
"unable to display the folder. The file ####.ost could not be
accessed."
Just recently I've got unable to display the folder.
"The file ###.ost could not be accessed because another workstation has
accessed it. close and restat any web-enabled applications."

What could be causing this? the ost is being kept on a NT 4 file server
running server protect. my local PC is running w2k and trend antivirus.

Sukh

0
skhudy (4)

You shouldn't be storing your OST on a network share. MS recommends against
it since other processes could be using it while you're trying to use it and
also there's a much greater risk of corruption.

<skhudy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Have problems using Outlook 2003. Periodically I get
> "unable to display the folder. The file ####.ost could not be
> accessed."
> Just recently I've got unable to display the folder.
> "The file ###.ost could not be accessed because another workstation has
> accessed it. close and restat any web-enabled applications."
>
> What could be causing this? the ost is being kept on a NT 4 file server
> running server protect. my local PC is running w2k and trend antivirus.

0
vince8328 (2732)
9/16/2005 2:08:15 PM
outlook data files should never be on a sever - and putting an offline store
on a server is nuts - it defeats to purpose of using it to begin with.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

<skhudy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Have problems using Outlook 2003. Periodically I get
> "unable to display the folder. The file ####.ost could not be
> accessed."
> Just recently I've got unable to display the folder.
> "The file ###.ost could not be accessed because another workstation has
> accessed it. close and restat any web-enabled applications."
>
> What could be causing this? the ost is being kept on a NT 4 file server
> running server protect. my local PC is running w2k and trend antivirus.
>
> Sukh

0
outlookmvp (5838)
9/16/2005 5:02:54 PM
skhudy@hotmail.com, you  wrote on 16 Sep 2005 06:44:32 -0700:

> Have problems using Outlook 2003. Periodically I get
> "unable to display the folder. The file ####.ost could not be
> accessed."
> Just recently I've got unable to display the folder.
> "The file ###.ost could not be accessed because another workstation has
> accessed it. close and restat any web-enabled applications."
>
> What could be causing this? the ost is being kept on a NT 4 file server
> running server protect. my local PC is running w2k and trend antivirus.
>
> Sukh

In addition to Vince's and Diane's answers read the MS-KB article below!

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297019

--
Best Regards
Christian Goeller

Euro Display Not working in Form
I have an Access 2003 Client linked to a SQL Server DB (2005). When I change a text box to format as Euro it never displays as Euro, only the number. I've tried Currency Type in SQL Server, Decimal, Numeric, etc.. What Am I doing wrongly? ...

Case Modified Date/Time update on changes
Having the ModifiedOn date and time update on changes to related notes, activities or even just the OnSave event would be much more useful when reporting on neglected cases. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Com...

Unable to open calendar

unable to scroll the page

Change of recipient/sender display name
Hi All, Environment :- Windows 2003 x64 with exchange 2007 (All in one role) Outlook client :- 2003, 2007 We have created a list of mail contacts (which under GAL) in exchange 2007, these mail contacts are associates with external email address, each of contact has a naming standard for display name, for example, display name is HD Finance Manager, external email address is fin_manager@hdemea.com I want to configure outlook client to show the display name according to mail contacts whenever the email address is match to mail contacts list (GAL), for example, an email sent from the email a...

Unable to start POP3, NNTP, IMAP4...

Display apostrophe in Combo Box
I have a combo box which displays the employee names from a table. Users select an entry to "reassign" a unit of work to another individual. There are several employees with apostrophies in their name. The name appears without the apostrophe in the combo box, so when work is reassigned, it displays the name differently than when updated from any other process. Example: Audit trail updates show the individual as "O'Connor" but updates using the combo box show "OConnor". Is there any way, without using code to load the combox, to display the correct name...

Unable to conect

my background image display
How do I get my background image to display properly? I can not find anywhere in Frontpage to address this. http://caroline407.com/ Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you What do you mean by "properly"? A background image will either tile (repeat accross and down the page) to fill a space larger than the image, or will cut off the area to the right and bottom to fill a smaller space. The image will _not_ shrink or stretch. Use CSS to place the iamge on the page: In the head of the page in code view, add <style type="text/css"> body {ba...

MSXML6 C++ unable to locate node

How can I display hundreths of seconds?
I'm trying to design a speadsheet to display lap times such as 1:26:329 (1 min, 26 secs etc) however I cannot sort the data in order from highest to lowest. I've been inputing the data as 1.26239. This s OK to sort frm Highest to Lowest but when you graph it there is a massiv gap beween 1.59960 (1.59.960) and 2.00765 (2.00.765) and there shouldn't be. I need Excel to recognize hundreths of seconds Please help D The way you're entering the data, you don't have seconds or fractions of seconds at all. You have minutes and (decimal) fractions of minutes. 1.59960, ...

Multiplying a cell and displaying the result in the same cell
Hi Is it possible to perform a calculation on a cell (well a column) an replace the data in the cell with the result? I have a spreadshee which uploads data to a database (not sure which type - it's mechanical estimating package) and I need to increase the price colum by a certain percentage. I cannot add or delete any of the column otherwise the upload won't work. Thanks Ro -- robspo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- robspot's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1532 View this thread: http://www.excelfo...

'OWA was unable to get to your inbox'

Unable to display the folder (have I lost my mail?)
I've just transferred all my mail from my mac via IMAP, and rather laboriously set up all my rules to get all my mailing lists in separate folders etc. Outlook has just decided that it can't display the two biggest folders because e:\documents and settings\administrator\local settings \application data\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst is in use and cannot be accessed. The file does not exist. I assume my mail is gone and I have to go and throw it at the IMAP server again, but could anyone tell me why this has happened and how to stop it from happening again? Is this all on a Mac?...

Displaying Parameters in the Report Title
I would like to have a dynamic Report Title that includes the Start_Date and End_Date parameters I have for a report. I have had no luck finding this information elsewhere on the internet. So, the report title would be "Number of Letters between @Start_Date and @End_Date" Thanks. Use the expression builder. This is very common thing to do. Select expression for the text box. Put in =""Number of Letters between " & Then select the parameter that you are interested in. -- Bruce Loehle-Conger MVP SQL Server Reporting Services "CSwa...

Displaying arrays
Hi guys, Sorry in advance, I'm a powershell new-bee so this is probably a simple question but... I'm having problems formatting & displaying arrays. I'm trying to create an email of a folder listing, and what I was hoping to do was have a variable $body equalling a bit of text, and then insert a table of the folder listings. So I've got a variable: $output = get-childitem | format-table name,creationtime Then I have an email routing which includes the $body variable, and somehow I was hoping to have some text, then this table. So I try: $body = &...

Displaying the label of the selected Option Button
Hi, in Word 2003, how can I display elesewhere in the doc the label associated with the radio/option button that the user has selected? Has this something to do with Fields? I can't seem to work out how to do it. Any thoughts please? Can I suggest that you don't use activex controls in a document. They are primarily intended for web page creation. Use instead check boxes - which can emulate the action of radio buttons with the aid of macros. - http://word.mvps.org/faqs/tblsfldsfms/ExclusiveFmFldChbxs.htm However to answer the question asked, radio buttons work in group...

Unable to display
Hello Background: I using Ex2k. when i connect another mailbox in existing admin mailbox, it give error while i click on that particular mailbox. Error is Unable to display the folder. The information store could not br opened: Can anyone tell what exectally the problem, is this a permision or any thing else. Sudhir /Thanks Hello Sudhir In Exchange 2000 an Exchange Full administrator does not have te right to open an other mailbox by default , you need to add these accounts (or groups) to the Information Store object and give the appropriate permissions (send as + read as Greet Dirk ...

Number of times a specific value is displayed in data set
I have to analyse some data in an excel spread sheet. I need to be able to display the number of times a certain value is encountered, eg 1 2. 2 2. 3 2. 4 2. 5 2. 6 2. 7 2. 8 2. 9 2. 10 2. 11 2. I need to display that the value 2.3 appears four times and 2.5 appears twice I have tried the frequency function but it does not work as I though David, This is what you w...

Displaying userform before worksheet displays
In the workbook.open event of an Excel spreadsheet I load a userform. Is there anyway to display the userform before any of the worksheets load or display? I'd like the end user to only see the userform and no worksheets. Ken I see a lot of postings that ask this question. I often wonder why the developer does not just use a color filled sheet as background for their UserForm. The code below, placed in the ThisWorkbook code module would allow such an initial presentation of the UserForm: Private Sub Workbook_Open() Sheets(4).Activate 'Be sure there is a ...