Truncating an oversize PST file

Hi all,

Is there a more straight forward method than the one suggested by Microsoft
as below:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296088

Thanks,
Ryan

0
tcm79 (2)

No.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Microsoft asked:

| Hi all,
|
| Is there a more straight forward method than the one suggested by
| Microsoft as below:
| http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296088
|
| Thanks,
| Ryan

0
MillyS (3228)

Excel
I have Excel 2003 and every time you open a file, it asks you if you want to save it when you exit. Prior Excel versions only gave a dialogue box to save, when changes were made to the file. Is there a way to set it so that it only pops up a dialogue box to save, if there were actually any changes? Atlas, it likely has nothing to do with prior versions. You probably have a workbook that has a formula in it like =NOW() or =TODAY(), both of which "automatically update" and, in essence, change your file, which makes it ask about saving. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.Office...

insert memo feild into a memo field truncates at 255 characters -
Greetings I have a table that has a memo field to retain specific information - text - which is the base of the combo box. Via a combobox on a form this memo field is added to a forms field which is also sized as a memo called "Project_Notes" - this part works. At a certain time the user uploads this form and its feilds to a parent table which also has a memo field to recieve the data from the other memo field. 'we have created the new entry now we should update the notes strOtherFields = ",Action_By,To_Do_date" _ ...

Situation when file is "read only"
My workbook is used in a networked environment by 5 users. If one user opens the workbook, that workbook will appear as "read only" to the remaining 4 users. So, if one of the 4 users opens this file in "read only" mode, I want to inform them who currently has write access to the file. Are there any VBA functions which return the username or user ID of the person who has current access to the file?? Thank you! ...

Macros to Browse for Files
I am trying to summarise information held in various excel files. I want to browse for a file by clicking an object 'button' - th various pieces of information held in the file I've selected are to b summarised in the sheet. Ultimately, I am trying to collate information from various excel file and summarise them in a new file. Can this be done? E.G I have twenty different excel files. Each of the files is setu the same way so that the "Bill total" is in the same cell. So, th twenty files all have $10 as a total - the summary file (which I a trying to create) would...

Open File Can I allow client to select multiple files
Is there a way to have MFC allow the selection of multiple files in an open file dialog or do I have to write that myself? Thanks Tom Tom, > Is there a way to have MFC allow the selection of multiple files in an open > file dialog or do I have to write that myself? You need to use OFN_ALLOWMULTISELECT flag. http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vclib/html/_mfc_cfiledialog.3a3a.cfiledialog.asp -- Regards, Kobi Ben Tzvi "Tom Groszko" <mgroszko@novagate.com> wrote in message news:O7iqDWQaDHA.628@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Is there a ...

Given xsd files, need to send XML with data
Hi, I have been given a set of xsd files which I need to use to generate XML files with my data added. I am using the DataSet.ReadXmlSchema() but get the error: System.InvalidOperationException: Nested table 'Contact-Address' which inherits its namespace cannot have multiple parent tables in different namespaces. The two questions I have are 1) Is this the best approach? 2) What generates this error? I have reduced the xsd files to two example files: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchem...

Convert PST to MDB or ACCDB
Does anyone know how to convert an Outlook PST to an Acess MDB? You can't convert but you can export to Access. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, Jacques Latoison asked: | Does anyone know how to convert an Outlook PST to an Acess MDB? Even better would be to use the Import function of Access; it keeps more of the information intact and gives you a Primary Key as well. -- Robert Sparnaaij [M...

Gantt Bar truncated
Quick search ends in no joy.... I had a fellow scheduler drop buy with a question. He has inherited a Project (2003) file. The task bars in the gantt chart view do not reflect the "start" and "finish" dates in the start and finish column. When the dates are added to each end of the bar in the gantt chart view, the task bar extends from the start date but does not stretch all the way out the planned finish date. I did a cursory view of the file on my way out and there was nothing readily apparent that would be driving this condition. I'm new to MS Project...

Is it possible to save a BLOB field on file system
Hi I need to know if it's possible to save a BLOB field in a folder of the filesystem where SQL Server is installed. Thanks, D. On Sat, 01 May 2010 17:03:26 GMT, "G." <g@g.com> wrote: >Hi I need to know if it's possible to save a BLOB field in a folder of the >filesystem where SQL Server is installed. > >Thanks, >D. > Hi SQLServer 2008 has a filesteam data type which you can look at in Books Online or for earlier versions check out http://databases.aspfaq.com/database/should-i-store-images-in-the-database-or-the-filesyste...

Exporting from Excel to multiple XML files
Anyone know if it is possible to export multiple lines of and Excel file to multiple XML files? An example might be an Excel spreadsheet where each row is a Purchase Order (PO) complete with details of ordered items, vendor etc. This might be data exported from a database for instance. The data would be exported using an XML Schema (XML map), defined as PurchaseOrder.XSD. ...

Transfer 05 Money deluxe file from Windows NT to Windows Vista
Anytime I try to open or restore "back up" a Money file on my new CPU with Windows Vista I receive a message " Money cannot locate C:Users\Owner\Documents\\rlh money.mny or cannot open it, possibly because it is read only file or you do not have permission to change it or your disk drive is write protected. If you have chosen the correct and it cannot be accessed, you will need to click ok and open your most recent backup file." Note, it's not a read only file and I have the correct password, and I have the file in the location it's requesting. No results....

combining several excel files into one file on same worksheet
Hi, I'm trying to combine several excel files (monthly data) into one file for analysis. I need the macro to put the data from each file successively, by row on one worksheet (e.g., January data has 15 rows, February data has 20 rows and when combined, February data is put on the same worksheet as January data begining on row 16)? Can this be done? If so, please let me know how. I'm not a programmer and very new to using macros. Thanks in advance! :confused: --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Try the example on my Tips page http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm ...

why I can not write to the file after initialize the MFC in a service program
service can run. void ServiceMain(int argc, char** argv) { ...... while (ServiceStatus.dwCurrentState == SERVICE_RUNNING) { char buf2[30]="place 1 is ok"; WriteToError(buf2);//It's a function write to a file. and here is ok!!!!!! /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// if (!AfxWinInit(::GetModuleHandle(NULL), NULL, ::GetCommandLine(), 0)) { strcpy(buffer,"Fatal Error: MFC initialization failed"); WriteToError(bu...

PST file identities
My PST file is huge, 174 meg, but I can't see very many emails. I suspect that I must have used a slightly different indentity name in my earlier installations. Is there anyway to find out what identities have been used in a given PST. My second question is what is the best way to synchronize the email folders from my desktop to my laptop? Thanks, Butch have you tried compacting pst? "ButchS" <butchs@shadtechserv.com> wrote in message news:5cfc01c4921b$3abe0340$a501280a@phx.gbl... > My PST file is huge, 174 meg, but I can't see very many > emails. I su...

List Shows Private Files
DID ANYONE ELSE NOTICE THIS? Whenever I save an attachment, and go to the drop down menu for file name, I am shown a list of dozens of files recently accessed on the computer (not just files accessed by Outlook Express). This occurs even if recent cocuments is turned off in Windows XP and even if the recent documents folder for Windows XP has been cleared. This shows too much! Others using Outlook Express on the same computer can potentially view the file names of every document, image, and device recently accessed. Where is the folder to clear this data out of? duncan <anonym...

Save same file with new "version"
I'm looking to save a word file that I update a few times a month. I want to save it, but not have to manually rename it becky.1, becky.2, etc., each time I make a change/update. Is this possible to do in MSO 2007? The versions feature is no longer supported in Word 2007. See if http://www.gmayor.com/save_numbered_versions.htm does what you want. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Becky W" <BeckyW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1B514F8-E996-4E76-B3D5-BCD94D7B9214@microsoft.com... > I'm looking to save a word file that I up...

Printing truncated
Mr.Bob Philips, I need your help.Plese refer to my post "Printing Formulas" dated 16/Nov/05.I posted a reply to this answer ,your help is very much needed. You have another reply at that thread. TUNGANA KURMA RAJU wrote: > > Mr.Bob Philips, > I need your help.Plese refer to my post "Printing Formulas" dated > 16/Nov/05.I posted a reply to this answer ,your help is very much needed. -- Dave Peterson ...

Backup in use PST
Is it possible to back up a pst file whilst it is in use. Does anyone know of a backup utility that can do this? TIA Jon No - Outlook puts an exclusive lock on the file. Jon Svensson wrote: > Is it possible to back up a pst file whilst it is in use. Does anyone > know of a backup utility that can do this? > > TIA > > Jon ...

2GB PST File - Outlook 2002 and 2003
I have a client that exceeded the 2GB limit in their personal file folders. They were running Windows 98 and Outlook 2000. I have tried the Inbox Repair Tool, the pst crop tool, etc. to try to recover the file. I had a thought to upgrade him to Windows XP using NTFS and install Outlook 2003, which allows a 20GB pst file using NTFS. That didn't work either. I get an error that says it is the wrong file version to import. The file on the computer is about 2.05GB. Does anyone else have any suggestions as to how to recover the file? Thanks!!! -- Remove 'spam' from email address...

Excel Opens all files in directory
When I launch Excel, it opens all files that are listed in a specific directory for some reason. I can not find out how to correct this This directory might be set as a startup folder in Excel's Tools > Options menu. -- HTH. Best wishes Harald Followup to newsgroup only please. "TD" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0bca01c3bf34$b684ffc0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > When I launch Excel, it opens all files that are listed in > a specific directory for some reason. I can not find out > how to correct this This thread provides a fairly ...

How to print to a csv file?
I want to export a print area to a csv file but when I use the Print to File option it creates a .prn file which has not resemblance to anything readable. I looks that it uses a current printer to do that because changing printers creates different files.. I want to take the designated print area and print/save that to a csv file. I know that I can use the Save As option but this saves the whole worksheet not just the print area. Thanks for any help. Nathan one way: Public Sub SavePrintAreaToCSV() Const DELIMITER As String = "," Dim rPrint As Range Dim r...

Converting Outlook 2003 PST Folder to Outlook 2000 PST.
Hi there, I'm sorry... I've asked this question before but after hours of trying to find my question (and its answer) I've decided It's simpler to re-post, so hope no-one minds. Unfortunately I don't recall which MS newsgroup I posted to, but I still can't find it. I have Outlook 2000 on one computer and 2003 on another. How can I import a PST file created in Outlook 2003 and open it in Outlook 2000? If you can give step-by-step information that would help me out. The major file (3+ GB) is located on a different system, so it has to be imported probably to Outlook...

cannot open excel file
I have an excel file that originated in excel 97. I opened it up in excel 2002. I emailed it to a few people and some can open it and some can't. One person that can't open it has excel 97. the Save as Type: is Microsoft Excel 97-2002 &5.0 /95 Workbook (*.xls). Any ideas as to why he cannot open the file. The icon next to the file isn't an excel file. Is it giving him a specific error message? Is it even trying to launch Excel when he double-clicks on the file? Is he trying to open it from Outlook (ie as an attachment) or from his hard-drive? Within Windows Explorer...

Truncated messages
Hi, I have a NT workstation with MS office 2000 installed on it. Some of the users are experiencing weird problem with that specific machine. some of the messages are being truncated to 2/3 the regular size. Sometimes when they restart the machine, those messages looks fine! Any idea why it happens ?? Thanks, Negar ...

.DEF FIle Problem
i have many functions with the same name but different parameters in my extension dll. how can i specify those functions in a .DEF File, i mean how to differentiate. thanks for the help <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:076501c3bed6$8af64520$a301280a@phx.gbl... > i have many functions with the same name but different > parameters in my extension dll. how can i specify those > functions in a .DEF File, i mean how to differentiate. > > thanks for the help > I am not sure why you need this DEF file as you know the reasons already. The only gu...