Trouble with Outlook 2003 and PST File

Hi,

We have a user who is using Outlook 2003 and moves most emails to a PST file
which is considered archived email data.

They have reached the Max limited on this PST file of 1.99GBs and its not
letting them open the PST file.
It is trying to repair it when they try to open the PST file.
Here is the message they receive:
"Can't move the items. The file <path>\<filename>.pst has reached its
maximum size. To reduce the amount of data in this file, select some items
that you no longer need, and then permanently delete them."

I can't even get it open to delete stuff.

I found KB article # 832925 on MS website to try and resolve this but it is
not showing the registry entries as in the KB article.

The registry path does not show
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\PST" as
in the KB article.

In fact it doesn't have any of it on the desktop registry and I have checked
a few desktops and not one desktop has this path as shown in the KB article
so I am not even sure to look now.

Does any know how else I can try and fix this problem with the PST file with
out losing data or resolve the problem using the information in the KB
article and trying it again?

Thanks for any help...

0
jon1075 (1)

If you right-click on the account in Outlook and choose properties,
than choose Advanced, there is an option for "compact now". See if you
can do that.

jon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a user who is using Outlook 2003 and moves most emails to a PST file
> which is considered archived email data.
>
> They have reached the Max limited on this PST file of 1.99GBs and its not
> letting them open the PST file.
> It is trying to repair it when they try to open the PST file.
> Here is the message they receive:
> "Can't move the items. The file <path>\<filename>.pst has reached its
> maximum size. To reduce the amount of data in this file, select some items
> that you no longer need, and then permanently delete them."
>
> I can't even get it open to delete stuff.
>
> I found KB article # 832925 on MS website to try and resolve this but it is
> not showing the registry entries as in the KB article.
>
> The registry path does not show
> "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\PST" as
> in the KB article.
>
> In fact it doesn't have any of it on the desktop registry and I have checked
> a few desktops and not one desktop has this path as shown in the KB article
> so I am not even sure to look now.
>
> Does any know how else I can try and fix this problem with the PST file with
> out losing data or resolve the problem using the information in the KB
> article and trying it again?
>
> Thanks for any help...

0
krazykrl (13)
8/22/2006 2:09:28 PM
The user will need to truncate the current file to repair it. See =
http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.htm=20

The article you cited has nothing to do with resolving the current =
problem, only for preventing a future occurrence. You will need to add =
the registry keys and values described in the article. You might also =
consider starting this user on a new archive file using the new Outlook =
2003 .pst format that can grow larger.
--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
  =20
"jon" <jon@sis.com> wrote in message =
> Hi,
>=20
> We have a user who is using Outlook 2003 and moves most emails to a =
PST file=20
> which is considered archived email data.
>=20
> They have reached the Max limited on this PST file of 1.99GBs and its =
not=20
> letting them open the PST file.
> It is trying to repair it when they try to open the PST file.
> Here is the message they receive:
> "Can't move the items. The file <path>\<filename>.pst has reached its=20
> maximum size. To reduce the amount of data in this file, select some =
items=20
> that you no longer need, and then permanently delete them."
>=20
> I can't even get it open to delete stuff.
>=20
> I found KB article # 832925 on MS website to try and resolve this but =
it is=20
> not showing the registry entries as in the KB article.
>=20
> The registry path does not show=20
> =
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\PST" =
as=20
> in the KB article.
>=20
> In fact it doesn't have any of it on the desktop registry and I have =
checked=20
> a few desktops and not one desktop has this path as shown in the KB =
article=20
> so I am not even sure to look now.
>=20
> Does any know how else I can try and fix this problem with the PST =
file with=20
> out losing data or resolve the problem using the information in the KB =

> article and trying it again?
>=20
> Thanks for any help...
>=20
>=20

0
suemvp (4038)

outlook attatchment read only
when I try and open a attatchment that someone sends me it opens it as a read only file. I can save it as another name. I can also drag it to the desktop and than open it and it won't be read only. Just wondering if there is a setting that I need to change to get this to work. I don't like it when I need to change the name all the time to save it. its only when I receive attatchments. If I receive attatchmet it does it. If I forward back to the person who send it. It does not become read only on there computer It is outlook 2003. When you open the message first and...

Pub 98 files on pub 2000???
I keep getting the error message that my new Pub. 2000 can't open files produced in Pub 98. Yet... Microsoft says if I re-save the file in 2000 some data will be lost but I can re-run the file! How can I save something that won't load!!! Help before I go nuts! Hi Stan R. (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I keep getting the error message that my new Pub. 2000 || can't open files produced in Pub 98. Yet... Microsoft || says if I re-save the file in 2000 some data will be lost || but I can re-run the file! How can I save something that...

Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
When I go to send a message and type in the person's first initial it gives me the drop down box to choose who I want to send to. However, there are names in there that I want to delete but I do not know how to delete them? These names are NOT in my address book or contact list, these are names from people that I did business with a couple of years ago and sent emails to and now I want to delete these names from this drop down list. Any suggestions? "steelergal63" <steelergal63@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:31E05474-5199-49B3-B2D6-E3...

outlook.pst access denied
I am on a stand alone PC runing Windows 98. Outlook was running slow and hanging up trying to open a MS Word attachment. I shut down the system. It shut down cleanly and rebooted cleanly. However, when trying to open Outlook after the reboot, I receive an error message stating that the file Windows/Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook/outlook.pst can not be opened. Access denied. Using Explorer, I am able to look at the properties for outlook.pst. It is a 90MB file and all appears to be normal. Any ideas? ...

Email trouble with New User in Active Directory
Below is a trail of posts that have been made. My problem has yet to resolved and I need some help quickly. The only other thing I can think of is to reinstall Exchange Server 2003. Hopefully someone will know the answer. Thanks! Subject: Re: Email not Setup when new user created in Active Directory From: "Bryan Hill" <bthill@comcast.net> Sent: 8/15/2004 12:30:21 PM We have other clients that are working fine. Just when we try to set up new ones - it will create the SMTP address but not the X400 address. I tried manually forcing the X400 but it will...

Outlook Connector Not Working
Getting the following error.. Have de-installed/re-installed both the connector and outlook a couple of times...any suggestions... Application Name: OUTLOOK.EXE Application Version: 12.0.4518.1014 Application Timestamp: 4542840f Fault Module Name: StackHash_942c Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385 Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdb3b Exception Code: c0000374 Exception Offset: 000cdcbb OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3 Locale ID: 1033 Additional Information 1: 942c Additional Information 2: 942c67ae768f62718e8b8755256a5a74 Additional Information 3: be05 ...

Outlook Express
When composing an email is it possible to move the margin on the right the way the lefthand side can be indented? Does that make sense? -- LibraLady1 You need to ask your question in the Outlook Express newsgroup http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general&cat=en_US_84883150-57ad-41d0-b145-8f6c650b58ef&lang=en&cr=US -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "TeresaEllen" <TeresaEllen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

Outlook 2007 clients with Exchange 2003
Is there any issue with this? Does this work? I'm currently testing with a limited group that I upgraded the client to 2007 . Everything seems ok, but... they were all upgrades, what about new additions and permissions and calandering, etc... Just needed to know if they play together nicely or if Exchange 2007 is needed. None and works great. (Office/Outlook 2007 SP2 on XP, Vista, and Windows 7 against Exchange 2003 SP2 on Windows 2003 SP2.) "JustSc0tt" <JustSc0tt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8BDE702-419C-4679-B1BD-64E1151E0E97@microsoft.com....

Trouble with the template.
I want to reset the 'normal' template to default to "Times New Roman" 10point font, and the pages numbered centre top. This seems to work when I set and reopen Word2003 from the Administrator Template vis: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates. But it will not work when I open Word2003 normally from the desktop. I have deleted the "Normal.dot" from the following and copied in the "Normal.dot" from the Administrator above: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates...

Outlook Appointments off by 1 Hour on some Users Outlook Calendar
I have some users that have SOME appointments (both recurring and single instance) that are off by 1 hour. I have tried the Outlook Time Zone Move program on 3 separate computers (all runing Win XP Pro/Outlook 2007) and the program "finds no appointments that need fixing"...but there are clearly one or more that need fixed if I manually look in their calendar. The weird thing is that when I run the tool on my Outlook (Windows 7 Ult/Outlook 2007) it still shows no appointments need fixing but it gives me a "details" button to show my appointments where I can ...

Upgrade from Office 2000 to Office 2003
Hello, I've upgraded from Office 2000 to Office 2003. I have Access code modules that create an Excel spreadsheet, using data imported from another Access database. Do I continue to reference the ActiveX Data Objects 2.1 library? I'm referencing VBA, Access 11.0 Object Library, OLE Automation, Excel 11.0 Object Libary. The code runs fine on my XP machine, but slows to a crawl and stops on the Windows 2000 server. Thanks for any pointers, Elaine "Elaine" <Elaine@discussions.microsoft.com> �������/�������� � �������� ���������: news:A47E6CFC-C4AB-4E33-A86D-...

OUTLOOK #323
I want to install my new Outlook on my other computer. I have the key code but not the disc. How do I do that? -- jb > I want to install my new Outlook on my other computer. I have the key > code but not the disc. How do I do that? Where did the disc go? -- f.h. Microsoft Outlook MVP jack wrote: > I want to install my new Outlook on my other computer. I have the key code > but not the disc. How do I do that? So just HOW did you get this "new" copy of Outlook that didn't include an installation CD? You may find the following Microsoft Knowledge Base...

activesync and outlook
I am using my handheld with syncing with outlook at work and at home. All works fine at work. When I connect at home, it attempts to resolve all the attendees associated with all of the appointments in my calendar. It fails and when I start the resolve process, I get a message that says it does not recognize a name (e.g., Smith,John). When I select the show more names dialog, it does three strange things: 1) It is showing the names from which to select as "<first name> <last name>" and seems to think mayvbe that Smith is the start of the first name. 2) John ...

Exchange 2003 Databse Maintenance
I need to run maintenance on my Exchange 2003 database. However size limitation in free space pohibits this operation. I am curious if anyone has tried the following (or knows of an alternate way) Can I copy the database files to another drive (one with more headroom) and perform the funtion there, then copy the database back? Thanks for your help -Don On 6 Jan 2005 11:14:12 -0800, "Don" <dlafave@cox.net> wrote: >I need to run maintenance on my Exchange 2003 database. However size >limitation in free space pohibits this operation. I am curious if >anyone has tried ...

Problem with "att-1.unk" file
I use MS Outlook 2000 SR1 (9.0.0.3821). When receiving e-mail with attached file (extention doesn't matter) from one of my partners I always see this file as "att-1.unk" file. He uses MS Outlook too. This "att-1.unk" may be "stripped" of additional header using programs designed for "winmail.dat" files (for instance tnef.exe). I verified, that my partner used "Plain text", not "Rich text formant" when sending his e-mails. I received the same "att-1.unk" file when I tried to use Outlook Express instead of MS Outlook. Its...

trouble with CrmIsapi.dll
I was experiencing the same problem with the SDK as many have posted to this group ... "the WhoAmI() call results in a http error 405 when running sample code" I followed some of the advice; checked my .srf mapping to CrmIsapi.dll and re-registered the CrmIsapi.dll. when I re-register CrmIsapi.dll I get an error 80004005 - unspecified. ??? I copied it to various places and retried it ... same result. I got the original from the disk and retried ... same result. unmapped it from .srf, restarted and retried to register it ... same result. Anyone experienced this. What's up with m...

using outlook and outlook express simultaneously
Hello I use Win XP Home Edition SP2, Outlook 2003 and Outlook Express V6.00.2900.2180 Is there any problem running both Outlook and Outlook Express simultaneously on same machine? Is there any known problems from using two application simultaneously? Thank you. sn from Japan No and no. "snomazushi" <snospam@kamakura.net> wrote in message news:uohZF5gBIHA.5160@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hello > > I use Win XP Home Edition SP2, Outlook 2003 and Outlook Express > V6.00.2900.2180 > > Is there any problem running both Outlook and Outlook Express > s...

Publisher 2003-How does one learn how to use it?
I'm disgusted with Microsoft. I purchased Microsoft 2003 with digital imaging expecting to find manuals on how to use the product. There was a manual for the digital imaging, but none for Publisher. How does one learn how to use Publisher, through osmosis? Not including an operating manual is like going into a restaurant and ordering your meal only to find out the restaurant doesn't supply silverware. Does anyone know ehere I can get a manual or training? I appreciate your responses. Ron strange you think Microsoft would care about what you think. Ron Publisher up to version...

Outlook Contacts #19
When I am trying to send emails, my Outlook (2003) is not recognizing emails. When I click on "To" and look in my contact list, the emails are listed, but Outlook isn't recognizing them like it usually does. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, please help! Thanks, Hillary Hill <hkbeatrice@hotmail.com> wrote: > When I click on "To" and look in my contact list, the emails > are listed, but Outlook isn't recognizing them like it usually does. The "emails" are listed? Do you mean the addresses? What do you mean by "Outlook i...

Modify Outlook Toolbar
Can I add more buttons to the CRM outlook toolbar? or can I create an extra toolbar using the CRM buttons? You cannot extend the outlook toolbar in this way ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowecrm.com "Julian Dawson" <Julian Dawson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C96509D-0B06-4705-9765-7956E6A2E0A7@microsoft.com... > Can I add more buttons to the CRM outlook toolbar? or can I create an > extra > toolbar using the CRM buttons? ...

Password does not save in outlook 2003
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C45B68.16BC1D90 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Dear Friends, Please help !!!!! I did a clean install of office 2003. The first thing I tested was out = look 2003 and it is broken. Out look does not save password. Every time I try to receive message it = asks me for the password. I am checking the password save check box = every time with no success. I cleaned all registry settings and did install it three times with no = success. Any suggestions...

unexpected conversion trouble

Outlook 2002 client #3
I have a 2002 pop client that receives a server time out error when trying to send an original email. All the account tests come back as completed and I receive the test email. It will forward and reply with no problem. Any suggestions? ...

Trouble with Outlook 2003 and PST File
Hi, We have a user who is using Outlook 2003 and moves most emails to a PST file which is considered archived email data. They have reached the Max limited on this PST file of 1.99GBs and its not letting them open the PST file. It is trying to repair it when they try to open the PST file. Here is the message they receive: "Can't move the items. The file <path>\<filename>.pst has reached its maximum size. To reduce the amount of data in this file, select some items that you no longer need, and then permanently delete them." I can't even get it open to delete...

Outlook 2007 Crashing 02-27-10
Suddenly my Outlook 2007 crashes after I open it. I can go to my email via the web and eliminate most of my email that way and then it appears Outlook will open and stay open. This just started to happen after many years of working fine. I tried a repair with the original disc but that did not help. I have XP. Any thoughts on how to fix this? Thanks On 2/27/2010 2:38 AM, DMD31842 wrote: > Suddenly my Outlook 2007 crashes after I open it. I can go to my email via > the web and eliminate most of my email that way and then it appears Outlook > will open and stay open. This j...