To Cache Mode or not to Cache Mode

Folks,

I am keen to get your views on Cached Mode.

We are about to upgrade to Office 2003/Exchange 2003. We have had
performance problems with the Outlook client in our current environment
of Outlook 2000/Exchange 2000(the infamous 'Requesting Data' Message).

Cached Mode would seem a given however we have many laptop users. Our
security guys are worried about OST's being accesible if the laptop is
lost. A combination of tools such as Locksmith and a password cracker
for password protection on OST/PST's could be used to access the
mailbox.

It would be interesting to know what other admins in the Exchange
community have chosen to do with Cached Mode.

Cheers,

Tostao

0
mahermick (4)

"Tostao" <mahermick@gmail.com> wrote in news:1128089379.129738.138210
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Folks,
>
> I am keen to get your views on Cached Mode.
>
> We are about to upgrade to Office 2003/Exchange 2003. We have had
> performance problems with the Outlook client in our current
environment
> of Outlook 2000/Exchange 2000(the infamous 'Requesting Data' Message).
>
> Cached Mode would seem a given however we have many laptop users. Our
> security guys are worried about OST's being accesible if the laptop is
> lost. A combination of tools such as Locksmith and a password cracker
> for password protection on OST/PST's could be used to access the
> mailbox.
>
> It would be interesting to know what other admins in the Exchange
> community have chosen to do with Cached Mode.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tostao

I love cached mode and would never issue a lapop in the field with any
kind of critical info in it that wasn't already encrypted and password
protected.

Use the encrypted file system and lock the laptops down and it won't
matter (security-wise) if they're lost.

--
Aloha,

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP
Stockholm Consulting Group/KSG
http://www.scgab.com
Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/onenotefaq.htm

**I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for
assistance.  Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup.
Mahalo!
0
bens1 (1425)
9/30/2005 4:14:55 PM
Tostao <mahermick@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am keen to get your views on Cached Mode.

And on a non-security tack, if you don't use cached Exchange mode I don't
think you'll be able to use the Junk E-mail filter.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

File Handling and Caching
I am writing a C/C++ application that opens a set of files and reads/writes to these files in chunks/blocks called pages. There are two specific types of files used to store different sets of information. There are data files used to store the logical data records and index files used to store index references to the logical data records in the data file. The data file pagesize is determined by whether its storing variable or equal size records. For this discussion, we can ignore variable length data files and assume that data file pagesize is equal to a record size. For the index fi...

Cached Exchange mode has wrong cache?
Hi All, I have a goofball problem that I've been trying to fix to no avail. I'm using Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003, connecting to the exchange server via RPC over HTTP. Cached Exchange mode is enabled. My problem: When I'm connected to the server, all is well. However, if I lose my connection, I cannot view any messages. I get the blank gray screen with the words that say something about me having to be connected to view this message. If I restart outlook and choose "work offline," I get the cached copy of my old Exchange mailbox (on a different server) that I haven&...

Cached vs Non-Cached
Hi all! Can anybody give me the quickie-30-second-sccop on the pros & cons of running Outlook in "Cached" vs "Non-Cached" mode (connectiing to exchange/server 2003 combo)? Thanks! M mhaase-at-springmind.com <mhaase-at-springmind.com@> wrote: >Can anybody give me the quickie-30-second-sccop on the pros & cons of >running Outlook in "Cached" vs "Non-Cached" mode (connectiing to >exchange/server 2003 combo)? Losing the connection to the server won't make the client entirely unproductive. Working while disconnected is pos...

image prints 'double' in normal and best mode
I have an image - a portait-style, rectangular 'directions' map to help customers find my location which I created in publisher with lines and text, etc, then grouped and saved as a jpg - that I am now trying to use (inserted>from file) in a quarter-page card layout to be printed and cut for inclusion with mailers. If I print in 'fast draft' mode, this map look fine. However, if I try to print in normal or best mode, the image is messed up - the top half of the rectangle is doubled; the bottom half is not printed. Example: the 'this is north' indicator, whic...

Outlook 2003 problem with Cached Exchange Server Mode
Outlook 2003/Conjunction with Exchange 2003 has something called Cached Exchange Mode. If user uncheck this box then the local copy of the mailbox will not be created. I have lots of Shared mailboxes in our call center and users do create Cached copy of these mailboxes by accident. I want to remove this behavior so users can not create Cached Exchange Mode. We use separate profile for every mailboxes. How can I remove this default out of the box behavior check box so users, when creating profiles does not have to uncheck or check the box and no cached Exchange Mode/local copy will be cr...

Repairing a db from suspect mode
Hello, I have a SQL Server 2005 database in Suspect mode , as a try to recover , I did the following EXEC sp_resetstatus 'Bluestar3'; ALTER DATABASE Bluestar3 SET EMERGENCY Database state is now in Emergency Mode , so this worked, then I did that ALTER DATABASE Bluestar3 SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE DBCC CheckDB ('Bluestar3', REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS) I received this error ******************************************** Msg 8921, Level 16, State 1, Line 2 Check terminated. A failure was detected while collecting facts. Possibly tempdb out of space ...

To Cache Mode or not to Cache Mode
Folks, I am keen to get your views on Cached Mode. We are about to upgrade to Office 2003/Exchange 2003. We have had performance problems with the Outlook client in our current environment of Outlook 2000/Exchange 2000(the infamous 'Requesting Data' Message). Cached Mode would seem a given however we have many laptop users. Our security guys are worried about OST's being accesible if the laptop is lost. A combination of tools such as Locksmith and a password cracker for password protection on OST/PST's could be used to access the mailbox. It would be interesting to know wha...

Cached Mode and GAL problem
Hi, I got a strange problem about GAL in Cache mode, we used E2K3 SP2 and Outlook 2003 SP2, the problem is lots people could not find contacts who ever showed in GAL sometimes, I have asked the clients to delete current OAB files then download the fresh one, yes, this way could solve problem, but some days later, the client will meet the same problem again even I could see the OAB files is up to date, any suggestion? thanks in advance. Do you have more than one public folder server? Perhaps one doesn't have a current replica. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world...

Compatibility MOde and Read only
I am a new user of Excel 2007 and have previously used Excel 2002. I have received an Excel sheet which opens in "Compatibility mode" and as "Read only". When I try to save it, it will only save as a copy and defaults to Excel 93-2003 format, so I assume that is how it was created. When I delete empty rows or columns at the end of the database and save the file and then reopen it the deleted rowa/columns are still there in the saved copy. a) what am I doing wrong? b) how do I open it in non "compatibility mode" and not as "read only"? c...

Outlook cached mode
Hello, I use outlook 2003 in cached mode and exchange 2007. Everything was working fine, but: Last week my mailserver was down for several hours, i fixed the problem, but after that, outlook 2003 is not updating anymore in cahced mode. When i turn cached mode off, i see all my mails, if i turn cached mode on, i see only the mails before the crash, althoug outlook is saying that all folders are up to date. Any help? Tx, Since Cached mode creates an .OST file, the simple fix would be to delete the .OST file and let it rebuild. Hal -- Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com Senior Enginee...

Outlook 2007 will only open in Safe mode
I have tried disabling all the add ins and it still will only open in safe mode. What else do I need to try. Also tried switch /resetnavpane Thanks. Is this a new problem or triggered by some event? "safetymom" <safetymom123@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:eKlkhRJZKHA.5608@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I have tried disabling all the add ins and it still will only open in safe >mode. What else do I need to try. > > Also tried switch /resetnavpane > > Thanks. safetymom wrote: > I have tried disabling all the add ins and it s...

contactcoll.cache
Hi there, windows xp SP3 I have dumped/trasfered to whole of the C: drive onto my USB external hard drive for safe keeping It is connected to another xp sp3 PC....I have a file on there that is contactcoll.cache - CACHE File, this is my email contacts. Is it possible to open them on the external hard drive. Steve "moonraker" wrote: > Hi there, windows xp SP3 I have dumped/trasfered to whole of the C: drive > onto my USB external hard drive for safe keeping It is connected to another > xp sp3 PC....I have a file on there that is contactcoll.cac...

CSingleLock Assertion problem in debug mode
I have a question about using CCriticalSection and CSingleLock. I think I'm doing it right but I occasionally get an assertion in CSingleLock::Lock() and asserts if m_bAcquired is TRUE. It appears to me that in DEBUG MODE Lock will always ASSERT if the lock has already been acquired? Is this an error? or just an assertion I can ignore? As I read the docs if it is already locked it should wait for the dwTimeOut time. The MFC code for this routine is: BOOL CSingleLock::Lock(DWORD dwTimeOut /* = INFINITE */) { ASSERT(m_pObject != NULL || m_hObject != NULL); ASSERT(!m_bAcquired); // Cau...

Quotes
Hello - We are seeing an issue with a customized SRS report we use to generate Quotes and I'm hoping someone has some ideas. When a quote is generated and the sales rep adds the products then needs to remove a product, the product still displays in the SRS report. This is after a refresh both from the Report viewer and closing out and reopening the Quote again. We've found that by Activating Quote>Revise>Activate it will remove this, but I am wondering if there is a cleaner way to do this. We see this behavior when the quote is still in Draft status. A possibly r...

Excel 2007 compatibility mode + Vista offline files = broken?
Problem: (the short-short-short version): Environment: Win2k3 SP2 file-server, Vista SP1 clients, AD domain with roaming profiles. Office 2007 SP1 is installed. Offline files is enabled on a share by group policy. Steps to reproduce: A pre-existing excel 2003 file is present on a share that is available offline. A user WITH A ROAMING PROFILE is logged into a vista client (yes, the roaming profile seems to make a difference) 1) Right click on the file, view properties, hit the offline files tab. The file is online. 2) Now open the file in excel 2007. Observe that Excel opens the fil...

Full Screen Mode in CRM 1.2
Is it possible to open by default the new windows of MS CRM (ex: the account detail form) in full screen mode? Thanks for your answer ...

How to transfer autocompletion cache to new profile?
I want to move a user to a new domain, but they do not want to lose the cached email addresses in outlook, so how can I copy this cache to the new profile? You can try to copy the NK2 file from the current profile and use it to replace the NK2 file in the new profile. Make sure you rename it to match the NK2 file name in the new profile. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Paul" <pauls@promedianj.com> wrote in message news:25c101c3c03b$16042640$7d02280a@phx.gbl... > I want to move a user to a new domain, but they > do not want to lose the cached email addresses in outlook...

Disk Cache & File Cache performance improvement
I have tried disk cache & File Cache for my NOR flash disk and it couldn't get any improvement in Writing data to Flash disk. I configured all the registry settings which specified by MSDN. In MSDN it says for CacheVMSIze default value is 32 MB. Therefore if we copy a 1MB file to NOR flash, it just should look like copying it in to RAM. but according to the observation it take the same amount of time which Writing the file directly in to NOR disk. Does the Caching mechanism provide the necessary speed for data writing or have i need to do any kind of special modificati...

Cache
Outlook has the ability to cache email addresses, even those not stored in the contacts list. It will suggest complete addresses once you start to type the address in the 'to' bar. Is there a way to view all the cached names that are not entered in the contacts folders? Thanks. Moe ...

Outlook 2000 internet mode, timed mail delivery
I have MS Outlook 2000 internet mode. At one point I selected from a dropdown box which mail accounts to use when automatically receiving mail. I have since deleted that account. I have other mail accounts but I have to send/receive them manually. Does anybody know where to find the dropdown box for selecting which accounts are used? I already answered your question. Send/Receive groups did not appear until Outlook 2002. In Outlook 2000, automatic polling includes all accounts. You configure it here: Tools menu > Options > Mail Delivery tab > Check mail every X minutes -- Rus...

Update the Global Address List (cached, not cached) in outlook
Hi, Once I made an userright error on one of the Exchange server (2003) Global Address List. Some users could see All Address Lists. I corrected the error, but... The users with "cached" turned on in outlook can still see the for bitten data. The users who do not use "cache" are only able to see the right data. The question is, how do I force an update of the cached users? If I delete the *.oab files from the clients the problems are solved on the particular computer. I do not have access to all computers, so this deletion is not an option... Best Regards Martin ...

Configuring Office 2007/Outlook to be installed/ cached Ex Mode Of
When we create the MSP for Office 2007, is there a particular way to configure the install for new users to have cached exchange mode off? What has everyone done for the install? We do NOT want to enforce this with GPO, we want people to be able to select. ...

Exchange 2003 Native Mode
All, We just moved to Exchange 2003 native mode after retiring multiple Exchange 5.5 sites. Now it is useless to have the MTA Stacks service running on the servers. How do you remove the MTA queue from Exchange if it is no longer going to function? As of now, in the queue viewer, there is a red X on the MTA queue, even though no messages are being passed through that connector. No one likes red X's. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810489&Product=exch On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 13:03:04 -0500, "Jim" <NoReply@...

Using the cache application block to cache the XslTransform object
Hi all, I am attempting to cache a loaded XslTransform object using the cache application block. I get "System.Xsl.XslTransform.....is not marked as serializable" I guess the cache appl block uses serialization internally, but I am a little surprised that its impossible to cache these objects. Seems like the XmlDocument class would be the same. I see a few posts related to custom serialization and surrogates? is that the solution? thanks for any advice, Regards, Matthew ...

Name resolution Outlook 2003 w/ cached exchange mode
Starting to work on a pilot & deployment plan for Outlook 2003 and ran into this very slight but annoying problem. We're running Exchange 2000 with Outlook 2003. If we're running the Outlook 2003 client without Cached Exchange Mode, typing in a person's full name (i.e. John Smith) will resolve successfully, even though our Global Address List actually lists that person as "Smith, John". If we're running with Cached Exchange Mode (and still connected on the LAN), typing in "John Smith" will not resolve. You must type in "Smith, John" ...