Those damn pst files!!

Hello,

I have had MANY problems with outlook, first, I had
problems where I had to reinstall every time I closed
outlook xp or I couldn't send emails, then I tried the
detect and repair--restore defaults, then I reconfigured
and it seemed to work fine...EXCEPT I could no longer
intellisync or sync anything...I looked into the matter,
and found that my default Outlook.pst was now
outlook1.pst, so I changed the name to outlook.pst,
reconfigured (again lost the address book in the process)
and still can't sync...what is up with these damn pst
files?  WHERE should I put that OUTLOOK.PST file so
everything will work...

Paul J. Soychak
paul@paulsoychak.com
0
paul2535 (2)

#1 - the lost address book could be easily fixed -

If you have Contacts in the Contacts folder but they are not accessible when
you click on the To button, check these settings:

Make sure the Contact folder is enabled as an email address book. Right
click the Contacts folder, choose Properties then Outlook Address Book. Is
the box to enable as email address book is checked?

If this is grayed out...

Go to Tools | Email Accounts, choose View or change existing directories or
address book. Is the Outlook Address Book present? If it isn't listed, add
it and close and restart Outlook.  If it is listed, then remove it and close
then restart Outlook and repeat these steps to add it.

#2 - it sounds more like there is a problem with the sync software or
outlook, not the pst. Detect and repair doesn't fix problems caused by user
configuration issues - since you use Ol2002, you'll want to make a new
profile for starters. To test it, use the default pst and restore your
existing pst once you get everything working.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"Paul J. Soychaki" <paul@paulsoychak.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have had MANY problems with outlook, first, I had
> problems where I had to reinstall every time I closed
> outlook xp or I couldn't send emails, then I tried the
> detect and repair--restore defaults, then I reconfigured
> and it seemed to work fine...EXCEPT I could no longer
> intellisync or sync anything...I looked into the matter,
> and found that my default Outlook.pst was now
> outlook1.pst, so I changed the name to outlook.pst,
> reconfigured (again lost the address book in the process)
> and still can't sync...what is up with these damn pst
> files?  WHERE should I put that OUTLOOK.PST file so
> everything will work...
>
> Paul J. Soychak
> paul@paulsoychak.com

0
info2937 (567)
4/15/2004 2:00:59 PM

"Diane Poremsky" wrote:

> #1 - the lost address book could be easily fixed -
>

> If you have Contacts in the Contacts folder but they are not accessible when
> you click on the To button, check these settings:
>
> Make sure the Contact folder is enabled as an email address book. Right
> click the Contacts folder, choose Properties then Outlook Address Book. Is
> the box to enable as email address book is checked?
>
> If this is grayed out...
>
> Go to Tools | Email Accounts, choose View or change existing directories or
> address book. Is the Outlook Address Book present? If it isn't listed, add
> it and close and restart Outlook.  If it is listed, then remove it and close
> then restart Outlook and repeat these steps to add it.
> >>>

> #2 - it sounds more like there is a problem with the sync software or
> outlook, not the pst. Detect and repair doesn't fix problems caused by user
> configuration issues - since you use Ol2002, you'll want to make a new
> profile for starters. To test it, use the default pst and restore your
> existing pst once you get everything working.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

> "Paul J. Soychaki" <paul@paulsoychak.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have had MANY problems with outlook, first, I had
> > problems where I had to reinstall every time I closed
> > outlook xp or I couldn't send emails, then I tried the
> > detect and repair--restore defaults, then I reconfigured
> > and it seemed to work fine...EXCEPT I could no longer
> > intellisync or sync anything...I looked into the matter,
> > and found that my default Outlook.pst was now
> > outlook1.pst, so I changed the name to outlook.pst,
> > reconfigured (again lost the address book in the process)
> > and still can't sync...what is up with these damn pst
> > files?  WHERE should I put that OUTLOOK.PST file so
> > everything will work...
> >
> > Paul J. Soychak
> > paul@paulsoychak.com

0
Soychak (1)
6/30/2004 9:22:01 AM

"Diane Poremsky" wrote:

> #1 - the lost address book could be easily fixed -
>

> If you have Contacts in the Contacts folder but they are not accessible when
> you click on the To button, check these settings:
> > Make sure the Contact folder is enabled as an email address book. Right
> click the Contacts folder, choose Properties then Outlook Address Book. Is
> the box to enable as email address book is checked?
>
> If this is grayed out...
>
> Go to Tools | Email Accounts, choose View or change existing directories or
> address book. Is the Outlook Address Book present? If it isn't listed, add
> it and close and restart Outlook.  If it is listed, then remove it and close
> then restart Outlook and repeat these steps to add it.
> >>>

> #2 - it sounds more like there is a problem with the sync software or
> outlook, not the pst. Detect and repair doesn't fix problems caused by user
> configuration issues - since you use Ol2002, you'll want to make a new
> profile for starters. To test it, use the default pst and restore your
> existing pst once you get everything working.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

> "Paul J. Soychaki" <paul@paulsoychak.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have had MANY problems with outlook, first, I had
> > problems where I had to reinstall every time I closed
> > outlook xp or I couldn't send emails, then I tried the
> > detect and repair--restore defaults, then I reconfigured
> > and it seemed to work fine...EXCEPT I could no longer
> > intellisync or sync anything...I looked into the matter,
> > and found that my default Outlook.pst was now
> > outlook1.pst, so I changed the name to outlook.pst,
> > reconfigured (again lost the address book in the process)
> > and still can't sync...what is up with these damn pst
> > files?  WHERE should I put that OUTLOOK.PST file so
> > everything will work...
> >
> > Paul J. Soychak
> > paul@paulsoychak.com

Okay, I am an IT professional and have called Microsoft, Dell, Yahoo, WinFax, basically every single place I could ask and no one has my answer...here is what I need...for some reason, now that I have outlook2003 (even though it worked on first installation), I cannot sync ANYTHING at all...after first installing outlook 2003, Outlook worked fine, but suddenly I could not access my contacts folder for WinFax Pro, I couldn't intellisync for yahoo, and I can't sync outlook to my palm...

I have done so much research on this subject it is depressing...basically, what I have been told numerous times is that I need to ensure that the file outlook.pst (the default file all of these synching programs use) in the folder outlook (many subdir, but the one they say to put it in), name it correctly (outlook.pst) and IT STILL DOESN'T WORD!!!  NONE OF THEM!!!!  THAT CAN'T BE ALL OF THE OTHER PROGRAMS, it must be OUTLOOK 2003!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Is there a  registry error here...that is all anyone I ask can think of...as I said, I have reinstalled, resorted to defaults under detect and repair, basically everything everyone (at this point about 100 people) told me to do and NO ANSWER!!!!  HELP!!!!!

Paul Soychak
paul@paulsoychak.com

Opening files #3
Is it possible for me to open an e-mail attachment of an excell spreadsheet whe I have xp home edition as I cannot find a file to open it with Do you have Office 2002 or Excel 2002 -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "dg63" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91b201c48615$4b5fc7e0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible for me to open an e-mail attachment of an > excell spreadsheet whe I have xp home edition as I cannot > find a file to open it with You can open the file for just viewing or printing with the Excel Viewer that ...

Continuing Vista money file saga
Again, I opened Money 2007 on my Vista Ultimate 64 bit machine, and it couldn't find the money file. There was a temp file in my documents that had a similar size, so I did a repair and that was my money file. This happens every 30 days, and I am somewhat convinced that Vista does some automagic cleanup that makes this happen. Opinions? Using M2007 on a Vista 64 machine with none of your problems. I did suffer from the .tmp scenario until I moved the .mny file out of Program Files. Rather than putting it into My Documents (once bitten etc) I created a new folder. BTW once you ha...

.ost file has reached max limit help
I have a user who has (believe or not 26,000 emails in his Inbox) on his computer, just informed me he's received a message when trying to archive his emails from Outlook stating his outlook.ost file has reached its maximum size, and that he should delete some files first to make room for archiving. He will do that, but my question is to the latter part of the error message stating that we should consider switching to unicode mode. What is unicode mode and how will it effect the ost file? Will it effect my users if I switch modes? I researched and found KB article 841207. Is this ...

how to edit rpt files without CR
Hi! does anyone know of any opensource software able to open/edit/change/ save rpt files? I've been googling for some time, but without any success. Thanks. Ant ...

Missing File
Hi, I recently bought via online, MSMoney2004 Deluxe. (Sept 2004). Since then I haven't been able to sign on but 1 or 2 times to it. It keeps giving me this error: "Money failed to load the Answer Wizard. Money help will not be available. You should reinstall Money to restore Money help." Since I bought it online, I haven't received anything as far as a backup file. (??) I have no idea what this all means. Can anyone help? Thank you. ...

PST IMport problem
I am having problems importing data from a pst backup file. I have successfully imported outlook folders from it recently, however when I attempt to import more now, the files are not coming into my current tree, but a new personal folder is created with nothing in it. The PST file in question has a filesize of over 600Mb ! Any Help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks! For starters, importing and exporting are not recommended for PST files. You've demonstrated one of the reasons. Just open the file. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] <neil@energycell.co.uk> wrote in message news...

Cannot repair PST file
Dear all, Our company computers are using outlook 2007 and Exchange 2007. I backup all of the email pst file to another harddisk and then I formatted my harddisk to reinstall windows yesterday. After restore the pst file back to my harddisk, the computer show me the error message and I can't mount the pst file to my outlook 2007. I also used scanpst.exe to repair but it cannot able to start that it asks me to scan the harddisk first and then try again to scanpst. But it still can't scan. Is my pst file already corrupt that I never can be retrieve all of my email? Could I retriev...

application.run cant find open file
This is quite a strange one... I have created a macro that runs on book1 and half way through executes a procedure on book2, when that has finished it returns to book1, does a loop and starts the process again to go back to book2 then to sheet1 etc till the proccess has finished. Book1 is used to control the process and there are several different versions of Book2 which have identical code but different data. when designing the macro everything worked and it has been working fine for over a week. all of a sudden one of the versions of book2 stoped working but the others are fine. The follo...

One large file, broken into smaller files and inserted into a mast
My company has many programs with very large files. I have recommended breaking these files into smaller subfiles and inserting each of these sub files into a master so they can be accessed by more than one person. Server in on the horizon but not available yet. When this is done, the difficult area is to re-link the tasks now between sub projects that were originally linked together while in the one file. Do anyone have a macro, checklist, process, that can help expedite this and check to ensure the subproject are relinked to the same task as they were before the split? ...

Where are email files stored
I need to get all my saved emails and folders they are saved in off my old drive and put them into my new drive in outlook. What directory/folder are they stored in. I took my old C drive and put it in a new computer and now it is the D drive. All my files are still as is from when it was the C drive. I was using Outlook Express on the old system. The import/export will not find the files. Thank you for your help. Outlook and Outlook Express are completely different and unrelated programs. If you were using Outlook Express before, you can only import that information into Outlook Exp...

damn CFileDialog
Hi, my problem is quite simple. I want to change the OK text of the validation button in a CFileDialog. I've derived my own class from CFileDialog an try to use the GetDlgItem(IDOK)->SetWindowText("my text") It doesn't work, because the GetDlgItem returns a CWnd* NULL pointer. Anyone can help ? Thanks ! ...

Where is the "File" menu?
Hello, I am using Excel for Office 2007 and I am trying to include some rows in a header so I see these rows at the top of every page. So I google for instructions, and got many hits. One of the hits instruct me to go to the file menu and then the page setup menu. Like this: File>Page setup But I don't even see the File menu. How can I get the File menu to be visble? -- Best regards Roberto You are looking at instructions for an older version of Excel than you have. Microsoft got rid of the menu bar in Excel 2007 and replaced it with the Ribbon... you w...

does CopyFile function locks files
Hi, I use CopyFile function to copy existing file to a new location. Question: Does CopyFiles lock the destination file for writing during the copy operation? Thanks a lot for the answer. Mark. While the copy is still in progress, I should say its safe to assume that the destination file is opened in write-mode which basically means other programs cannot delete or manipulate the file. -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] "Mark Fine" <mfine@array.nospam.ca> wrote in message news:F4%eb.87379$PD3.4818518@nnrp1.uunet.ca... > Hi, > > > > I use CopyFile f...

Need help setting up fields on a liquor store import file.
What is the best way to set up the fields on the excel sheet (import) for a liquor store. Should I put the size of the bottle with the extended description or should i put the size in the sub description? I also have sku's (item lookup codes) for each child item but do not have one for the parent (a case of the product). How should I handle this? Do I make up my own lookup codes or should i just not use the parent child relationship and store everything as a child? What benefits does each one have? I always include the size in the primary description field. I always keep the d...

printing to file
how can i print a selection to a prn file on excel. Quattro allows me to do this and is it possible on excel. when i did try the file doesn't have the informaion that i want in it. Excel will print to file, but it is not human-friendly It is a printer friendly, your printer can only understand and print it. You can try using PDF, for PDF writer try with following link ... http://www.clicktoconvert.com/index.html Please rate me. "Trevor" wrote: > how can i print a selection to a prn file on excel. Quattro allows me to do > this and is it possible on excel. when i did...

Outlook 2007: Deleted files are disappearing
I am using Outlook 2007. When I delete an e-mail it just disappears instead of showing up in the deleted files folder (personal folder) and/or IMAP). I have checked for these files in my IMAP deleted files, IMAP trash and personal deleted files. Can anyone tell me where these files have gone? Could it be something in my settings? Thank you -- wha kolo Hi, If you want to recover those deleted mails ,try the data-recover tool called Advanced Outlook Repair. It can help to undelete the emails you delete by mistake. You can download a free demo version at http://...

Merging pst files
I hava a mailbox called Retained Mail where I track inbound and outbound email on a daily basis. In other words I create a different pst each day. How can I merge one month of pst into just one pst folder. That's 30 days of individual pst files into one pst. Vejay <sbalgobin@amoplans.com> wrote: > I hava a mailbox called Retained Mail where I track > inbound and outbound email on a daily basis. In other > words I create a different pst each day. How can I merge > one month of pst into just one pst folder. That's 30 days > of individual pst files into one pst....

How do I remove ~WRL0000.tmp files?
Two days ago one of my MS Word folders I was working in started to accumulate a lot of ~WRL1234.tmp files. Usually these disappear after I leave the folder, but today they're still there. How can I delete them? And how can I reset things so they don't start accumulating again? Many Thanks. See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. Tim wrote: > Two days ago one of my...

Excel files wont print.
Excel files wont print. Other files do print. What 's the answer? Excel 2003 42? But what is the question? A little more information might be required here for anyone to help you. It could be any of 6 billion reasons given the information you have provided. "Almonte" wrote: > Excel files wont print. Other files do print. What 's the answer? > Excel 2003 ...

I can not open .do files
I get a error message when I go to a web site that needs a .do file. How do I fix this? Should I know the URL of "a web site"? Open the search engine of your choice (Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.) and use this as your search term: file extension .do --- Leonard Grey Errare humanum est tuke wrote: > I get a error message when I go to a web site that needs a .do file. How do > I fix this? Do you have Java installed? "tuke" <tuke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:81792E00-840A-4EAC-AF59-A1D62F5BA6DB@microsoft.com... :I get ...

from .pst to Exchange
Hi to all of You My problem is this: I have 50-60 MS Outlook users with .pst file configured on their local PC-s .... Recently we got Exhange Server 2003 ... how to transfer their mail mesagess from their .pst files to their mailboxes on exchange server THX in adance Lobo Within Outlook - FIle menu, Import and Export. Select other file and choose PST. BE CAREFUL - your 50-60 users may each have lets say a Gig of emails. Standard edition of Exchange only supports a 16GB store. So you would quickly fill this up. I might suggest only moving in their Inbox, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks,...

Opening file #2
A few of my Excel files won't open immediately. An error box says "can't find .and.xls...." After clicking on this box, a similar message comes up with another "can't find (another file name which makes no sense)." This happens about a half dozen times when finally the file opens. Any suggestions to get rid of these error messages. John431 Had the same problem and this worked for me thanks to Gord Dibben XL2002 In my case it was stumbling over file names with spaces. Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes and note the space before th...

Printing PDF Files in Order
I have a table with links on it to PDF files. I would like to print the files in the order that they appear in the table. When I run the code to print out the files, they seem to come out of the printer in a random order. Below is a snipet of my code. Does anybody have any suggestions? Do Until myRecordset.EOF tempname = myRecordset.Fields(1).Value If tempname <> "" Then tempname2 = Replace(tempname, "#", "") If fso.FileExists(tempname2) Then ADOBEPATH = "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" PDFFILE = tempname...

PST Folders -- different formats??
Hi, I have multiple PST folders on my local machine -- however, only one of them has all the default folders (Inbox, Sent Mails) --- other just have the folders I had created. I would like to have a 'Sent Mails' folder in each of my PST folders .... how can I achieve that? Thnaks in advance. ~Raghuveer Only your default PST file will contain the default folders. You can create any folder you would like in another PST file. You can certainly create a folder called "Sent Mails" in them if you wish. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] <raghuveer.v@gmail.com> wrote in m...

Import HTML: Where is "Insert text from file" option in Outlook 20
I have been using Outlook Express until recently, and was able to import HTML pages into the body of my email by using the Insert > Text from file option, but I cannot find this option in Outlook 2003. It's much easier for me to create webpages in Dreamweaver and then import them into Outlook - I'm sure there must be a way to do it in 2003, but I'm stuck trying to find it!! Please help! luxuria, you wrote on Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:29:03 -0800: > I have been using Outlook Express until recently, and was able to import HTML > pages into the body of my email by usin...