Suggestion: Read-only PST files

Hi,

Many people do archive their PST files on CDROM/DVD; so
that they can reduce the clutter on their Hard Disk,

However it appears that Outlook likes to treat all PST
files as read/write. Therefore when one tries to point
Outlook to a old PST file archived on read-only media (CD,
DVD, etc) just to look at some old mails, Outlokk does not
seem to allow it. The only choice you have is to copy
(what might perhaps be huge) PST files to your hard disk.
This is not user-friendly at all !!!

I think there is a strong case for supporting a feature
like "READ-ONLY PST files". If a file happens to be read-
only, let Outlook load it and allow the user to look at
those files.

Hoping that the Outlook team will consider this suggestion
and implement the feature.

Thanks

Rags
0
anonymous (74722)

I don't give you much hope but you can post all your suggestions here;
http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/suggestions.aspx

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks

-----
"rags" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Many people do archive their PST files on CDROM/DVD; so
> that they can reduce the clutter on their Hard Disk,
>
> However it appears that Outlook likes to treat all PST
> files as read/write. Therefore when one tries to point
> Outlook to a old PST file archived on read-only media (CD,
> DVD, etc) just to look at some old mails, Outlokk does not
> seem to allow it. The only choice you have is to copy
> (what might perhaps be huge) PST files to your hard disk.
> This is not user-friendly at all !!!
>
> I think there is a strong case for supporting a feature
> like "READ-ONLY PST files". If a file happens to be read-
> only, let Outlook load it and allow the user to look at
> those files.
>
> Hoping that the Outlook team will consider this suggestion
> and implement the feature.
>
> Thanks
>
> Rags

0
Roady
8/11/2004 6:39:18 AM
rags <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hoping that the Outlook team will consider this suggestion
> and implement the feature.

That would be a good idea.  Send your request to Microsoft.  mswish at
microsoft dot com.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16053)

Auto suggest
One of the features i like from Open Office, is the auto-suggest / auto-complete word as you type. Say for example i type accommo the program will show accommodation as an option and i just hit enter to make the choice accepted. Can Word do this too? It could through Word2003, and it's been reported that the feature was restored in Word2010. Although if you've already gotten as far as "accommo," that particular AutoCorrect doesn't do you much good, since in that word it's the number of c's and m's that's tricky, and how would it know wheth...

Exporting excel to text file
selection Choice1 choice2 A1 x x A2 x A3 x A4 x A5 x x A6 A7 x A8 x A9 x x The table above is done in excel. How can I output the data in a text file as Choice1(A1,A3,A4 etc..) Choice2(A1, A2, A5 etc.) I basically want to list all the selection with X's with the corresponding choices. The selection may very large as compared to what is demonstrated here. is there anyway I can get this done...

File not loaded completely Error
Hi I have a text file that I am trying to open in Excel. There are about 550 columns and about 100 rows in the file. Whenever I try to import it I get the following error: File not loaded completely Can anyone tell me why this is happening? Do I have too many columns? Thanks in advance Sandy Excel supports 256 columns. Sandy wrote: > > Hi > I have a text file that I am trying to open in Excel. > There are about 550 columns and about 100 rows in the > file. Whenever I try to import it I get the following > error: File not loaded completely > Can anyone tell me why ...

Import CSV file runs out of columns
I'm importing 300 fields into excel. I seem to hit a wall at 256. How can i expand ?? If i can't expand how can I work around this. This is a tempory stage with final destination into Access. Thanks in advance Chuck Excel is limited to 256 columns; this cannot be increased. And, if memory serves, Access is limited to 256 columns as well, so you need to rethink your whole project. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Chuckf201" <Chuckf201@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C5C6C2E...

Outlook 2002 -- deleting read messages
My Outlook 2002 is deleting each email message that I open to view! As the window pops up to view an email message, the message listed in the inbox (and any other folder) is automatically deleted. The deleted message cannot be found in the Deleted message folder of Outlook 2002 nor in the Trash. Can anyone please advisse? Many thanks. Thanks! I'm not that familiar with 'Defining Views' ... tooks some tinkering around and it seems to have worked. >-----Original Message----- >It probably isn't being deleted - check your view settings. I'm betting it's...

archive pst question
If I list the archive folders in my folder list, does that negate the improvements in speed that I get from archiving in the first place? I mean, if outlook has to open those massive folders anyway, will that still slow it down, or is it okay because my main pst file is being kept smaller? Thanks. Doesnt slow mine down, but then it might depend on size David "rij73" <php@rij73.com> wrote in message news:%23rkmj6o4DHA.540@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > If I list the archive folders in my folder list, does that negate the > improvements in speed that I get from archiving in...

Your suggestion?
I'm writing a small program on Win32 MFC where user can login to do something. Now I would like to implement the automatic logout when the user is logged in and there was no mouse nor keyboard activity for e.g. 10 seconds? Since there is a lot WM_x messages that mouse and keyboard produces I could listen to it's to much work and probably not so elegant. Must I use keyboard and mouse hook for this or you think there is a better solution? How to know if my app was in idle time when it comes to user input? Thanks for help! "blue" <blue@blue.blue> wrote in messa...

erased PST
Hello: I accidentally erased an important PST file. It is large and as a result did not go into my recycle bin. Do you have any ideas or software I can use to recover it with? Thank you Stefano Unless you have a recent backup, you are pretty much out of luck. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. "Stefano" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:022f01c3d31d$783f1be0$a601280a@phx.gbl... | Hello: | | I...

how to tell excel to read numeric field as character fr a csv file
hi, i have a csv file with some fields, one of the field which i want it to be a character field, but the field contain only numeric, when excel open the file, it became numeric, this may cause problem, cause the field is a credit card number (e.g 1234567812345678 ), the excel will show 1.23457E+15, and the actual value became 1234567812345670, that is totally wrong. how can i do it without open the file, do some changes and save the file again ? rgds Huat Change the file extension to TXT and import as a text file. That will give you options per field -- Kind regards, Niek Otten ...

How do I make one.doc in a SP 2007 library read-only for everyone but me?
Where/how do I set specific permissions (read-only for everyone but me) on a particular .doc, within Sharepoint? Setting the file as read-only in Windows XP File Properties before uploading in to sharepoint, doesn't work. And, I don't want to have to keep it permanently checked out to me. ------=_NextPart_0001_6D850271 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Document in questions -> Drop down menu -> Manage permissions. By this way you can assign individual permissions to an item in a site. Harish K ------=_NextPart_0001_6D850271 Conte...

suggestions
how to sustain a corporate culture in home business Wear a tie with your pajamas. -- <%= Clinton Gallagher, "Twice the Results -- Half the Cost" Architectural & e-Business Consulting -- Software Development NET csgallagher@REMOVETHISTEXTmetromilwaukee.com URL http://www.metromilwaukee.com/clintongallagher/ "tafesdelites" <ourshady2@yahoo.com(seriuos help only)> wrote in message news:E19404E5-DF52-4BE2-B535-63D48A5FBF1F@microsoft.com... > how to sustain a corporate culture in home business > > Totally laughing at t...

srt files
My WMP use to play avi files with srt files, and now it won't since I upgraded to Vista. I presume this is because I had to install a Vista codec pack. However, all is not lost, as Media Player Classic will play them. IIRC I did have to reinstall MPC after I upgraded. I have been absent from this newsgroup for a while, and so I don't know if this has been discussed before. Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated. -- David Barnett ...

excel e-mail file
i rcvd an e-mail with an excel doc. attach. i do not have microsoft excel on my computer. is there any other program that will open an excel doc. >-----Original Message----- >i rcvd an e-mail with an excel doc. attach. >i do not have microsoft excel on my computer. >is there any other program that will open an excel doc. >. >never mind, i was able to open it with microsoft access. Hi there is a free Excel viewer available at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4EB83149-91DA- 4110-8595-4A960D3E1C7C&displaylang=EN HTH Frank anonymous@discussions.m...

What file to look for on my hard drive back up to recover my Entourage contact list?

Clearing Automatic Name Checking/Suggestion
Does anyone know how to clear the memory setting for automatic name checking? When it suggests an email address, it gives me an old one or incorrect one from my outlook that is no longer in my Contacts and it's frustrating. Please advise, I've already tried turning the settings on and off with no luck. Thanks, KjL ...

read message
Hi to all How can I disable the option that reply automatic for read message ? thanx Tools->options->email options->tracking options. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Essam asked: | Hi to all | | How can I disable the option that reply automatic for read message ? | | thanx ...

PST File Size Limit
I'm running Exchange 2000.using Outlook 2003. Is there a size limit to the psts I create? On 4 Jan 2007 11:15:20 -0800, "chad" <slidellinternational@gmail.com> wrote: >I'm running Exchange 2000.using Outlook 2003. Is there a size limit to >the psts I create? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830336 "The .pst file has a different format and folder size limit in Outlook 2007 and in Outlook 2003" Thanks for the info. Andy David {MVP} wrote: > On 4 Jan 2007 11:15:20 -0800, "chad" <slidellinternational@gmail.com> > wrote: > >...

Suggestion for Searching
I enjoy using OneNote. But there is one thing it can't do that, to me, would seem fundamental. It's amazing what it CAN search: sound, images, text. That's good. But it would seem obvious that it should also be able to search the text within attached files if .pdf, .doc, .xls, .ppt, etc. I would think that OneNote should at least be capable of highlighting an attached file to let you know that the search string is found within the attached, embedded document somewhere. If there is a way to do this, I apologize for the post. But I haven't yet discovered ho...

Transferring Mail File
I want to transfer my email folders from my Windows XP computer to my Vista computer. The mail folders have a .dbx extension. I found their path in XP which uses Outlook Express and copied them to a thumb drive but i can't seem to get the folders onto the Vista computer which uses Windows Mail.. I found the path of Windows mail and I tried to copy the files to this folder but that didn't work. I have many emails in a "saved mail" folder and I really would like to get these emails moved to my Vista Windows Mail computer. Can you help? Thanks ...

"read only" statement incorrect
Here's an odd problem. If a user opens a spreadsheet then another tries to open the same spreadsheet , they get a message stating "finle is in use by "userX". the problem is, the user name refrenced in this message is not a user at all,nor is it the user to whom the office suite is registered to. this happens on multiple files and with multiple users. i always thought this message would reference the user's logon I.D.? Where is this incorrect user name coming from? Hi maybe this can help you: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen -- Regards Fran...

How do I make an Excel file read-only?
This should be so simple, I know. I'm sending a spreadsheet to several people and need restrict the file from being modified at all (read-only, I assume). I've selected the read-only option and entered a password to modify in Tools>Options>Security. This does work to disallow saving the file with any changes. I need to restrict the file so it cannot be edited at all (i.e. edited then printed without saving). Can this be done? Thanks in advance. Charles, Protect each sheet (Tools - Protection - Protect sheet). Enter a password. None of the cells should have been unlocked ...

Outlook 2003 reading pane updates very slowly
Sometimes in Outlook 2003, when I'm reading emails, clicking on a newly arrived email will not show the content in the reading window for at least 20 seconds. If I right click the email, the content appears in the reading window immediately. This seems to apply mainly to new messages but now and then it happens to old ones. Can anyone help, this is driving me crazy?! Ravi ravi <ravi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Sometimes in Outlook 2003, when I'm reading emails, clicking on a > newly arrived email will not show the content in the reading window > for at le...

Moving Files After Hyperlink
I have built an inventory and created a hyperlink to each item' picture. The hyperlink references the picture in a folder on my har drive. I want to save this spreadsheet and the pictures to a CD, an have the hyperlink point to the new folder/file on the CD. Any way t do this, or must I edit all the hyperlinks individually -- Kennet ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Kenneth's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=148 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26803 Kenneth, If you can,...

Calculator
(For a WinXP machine in fact and yes i can search for one myself) But just in case one of you know a good one to suggest for a person with poor eye-sight. Needed; a simple Calculator program with large or adjustable display & keys. No need for it to include advanced science options. -- Nah-ah. I'm staying out of this. ... Now, here's my opinion. Please followup in the newsgroup. E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control. Try Moffsoft 'FreeCalc' at :- http://www.moffsoft.com/ Just stretch the window and the keys etc. expand with it. On...

email header file
Hello, What does these X-Mailer and X-MimeOLE mean? What does 2800.11158 mean? X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1158 hba2pd, you wrote on 1 Apr 2007 06:39:49 -0700: > X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158 The used version of Outlook Express. You see this version in Outlook Express under ? | Info The actual version on a Windows XP based computer is 6.00.2900.2180 To get the actual updates for OE visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com -- Best Regards Christian Goeller h...