Strange negative indent in plain text messages

Recently my Outlook 2007 installation decided to indent the first line
of any plain text message about half an inch to the left, resulting in
the first 2 letters not being displayed as they happen to be outside the
display area. That applies to editing mails as well as displaying mails
in a separate window and in reading pane. Up to now I wasn't able to
figure out how to reset that indent configuration. Any ideas? Thanks in
advance for your help.

sounds like a style is messed up. if the 'outdent' can't be changed using
the Decrease indent button (next to the alignment buttons) yo'll need to
find and delete the email template.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Wolfgang Schaper"
<schaper.wolfgang_swapfirstandlastnameanddeletethistext@gmail.com> wrote in
message news:fc9dsb$ms5$1@news.sap-ag.de...
> Recently my Outlook 2007 installation decided to indent the first line of
> any plain text message about half an inch to the left, resulting in the
> first 2 letters not being displayed as they happen to be outside the
> display area. That applies to editing mails as well as displaying mails in
> a separate window and in reading pane. Up to now I wasn't able to figure
> out how to reset that indent configuration. Any ideas? Thanks in advance
> for your help.

0
outlookmvp (5838)
9/13/2007 1:15:56 AM
Diane Poremsky wrote:
> sounds like a style is messed up. if the 'outdent' can't be changed
> using the Decrease indent button (next to the alignment buttons)

It's not working, as all formatting options are disabled with plain text.

> yo'll need to find and delete the email template.

I already deleted all files in "C:\Documents and Settings\<user
name>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" and "C:\Documents and
Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook"
(I am on Win XP), but that didn't change that behavior. I suspect it's
any settings in the registry, but I don't know which ones.
Wolfgang Schaper
<schaper.wolfgang_swapfirstandlastnameanddeletethistext@gmail.com> wrote:

> I already deleted all files in "C:\Documents and Settings\<user
> name>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" and "C:\Documents and
> Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application
> Data\Microsoft\Outlook" (I am on Win XP),

Not a good idea if you're using a PST, since the second of those folders is
the default location of your PST, which holds all your Outlook data.  Delete
it and you delete all your contacts, email, tasks, calendar, and the rest.
Templates aren't kept in either anyway.  I believe they're in
%AppData%\Microsoft\Templates on XP.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
9/13/2007 12:08:18 PM
Brian Tillman wrote:
> Wolfgang Schaper
> <schaper.wolfgang_swapfirstandlastnameanddeletethistext@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I already deleted all files in "C:\Documents and Settings\<user
>> name>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" and "C:\Documents and
>> Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application
>> Data\Microsoft\Outlook" (I am on Win XP),
>
> Not a good idea if you're using a PST, since the second of those folders
> is the default location of your PST, which holds all your Outlook data.
> Delete it and you delete all your contacts, email, tasks, calendar, and
> the rest. Templates aren't kept in either anyway.  I believe they're in
> %AppData%\Microsoft\Templates on XP.

Of course I restored the files after I figured out that it won't help to
  solve the issue. Anyway, the connections to the PST files get lost,
the PST files are still available and ready to relink.

Deleting (i.e. moving to a temporary folder and moving back later) of
all files in %AppData%\Microsoft\Templates didn't help either.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Schaper wrote:
> Recently my Outlook 2007 installation decided to indent the first line
> of any plain text message about half an inch to the left, resulting in
> the first 2 letters not being displayed as they happen to be outside the
> display area. That applies to editing mails as well as displaying mails
> in a separate window and in reading pane. Up to now I wasn't able to
> figure out how to reset that indent configuration. Any ideas? Thanks in
> advance for your help.

I just solved the issue by deleting the registry node
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office
and anything contained, and afterwards reinstalling Office 2007.

Text to Columns #4
I have a column and all I need is the last 5 characters in this field. Problem is that this field has various text lengths. How can I get the last 5 characters and delete the rest. My spreadsheet have 1,000 or so lines. This Column looks like this: AESGROUPGR123 AESGROUPGR457 AESGROUPGR236 SECTIOGR046 MSGTYHSYHSYHGR123 MSGTYHSYYHGR123 My first thought was to make ths column flush right in Text to columns, but I do not see that making it flush right is an option. Ideas? Thanks. Thanks a bunch Pete I appreciate your time and efforts on my behalf Pete_UK wrote: > Try this: > > =...

Strange Output
Hello, everybody !!! Why this fragment of code shows : ac cout<<"a\??/??/bc"; Thanks All !!! "Alex Dmitriev" <firejump@mail.ru> wrote in message news:ecTgPp8pEHA.3800@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hello, everybody !!! > Why this fragment of code shows : ac > > cout<<"a\??/??/bc"; http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vccelng4/html/elconTrigraphs.asp '??/' is a '\' so you end up with "a\\\bc" http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vccelng4/html/elc...

Import large text file
Hi, Which options do I have to import a text file to Excel, with more than 200.000 records. Thanks Luis Hi Luis, Did you try opening the file from Excel (file,open) then after going through the file import wizard and you have what you want you can use file, save as, ...) Since you are not used to this suggest you start with a copy of your flat text file. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "L. A. M." ...

Can't change color on text.
In my Grid, I can change the color of the background but not the forecolor (text). Why is that? protected void Process_Click(object sender, EventArgs e) { foreach (GridViewRow gvr in GridView1.Rows) { if (((Label)gvr.FindControl("lblWhich")).Text == "3") { gvr.BackColor = System.Drawing.Color.Green; <------ Works gvr.ForeColor = System.Drawing.Color.Yellow; <------ Not Working } } } ...

Doownloading Message
The message comes up 'downloading messages' and shows the message number. Can you get it to say 'downloading messages #1 of 100 etc Charlie No. Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "sswcharlie" wrote in message = news:A3F6BB32-D783-45F9-B168-4EDDF128945B@microsoft.com... The message comes up 'downloading messages' and shows the message = number. Can you get it to say 'downloading messages #1 of 100 etc Charlie=20 "sswcharlie" <sswcharlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A3F6BB3...

Excel Object showing strange behavior
Hello, I have a sheet that I created that contains an Excel object (small spreadsheet) that when double clicked, will open up and allow it to be populated. After they populate it, and close it,...the data is automatically reflected in the object on the original sheet. This is shared with everyone and it's working great. BUT.....(always the but) Why have a few people sent the form back to me saying that when they double click the object it opens up a "Format Object" dialogue box rather than the editable sheet that it was supposed to do? They sent it back to me and sure enough...

Publisher 2010, Tables and Text Styles
I'm working with a large table in Publisher 2010, and I want to apply the same style to the initial (empty) paragraph in a set of cells in my table. What I expected was that I would select the set of cells in my table, the select a style from the Home ribbon menu, and the style would be applied to all of the cells. What's happening is that I select the cells I want to apply the style to, go to the Home ribbon, and select the style, and the selection collapses to only one cell and that's the only one that gets the style applied. Which is very frustrating. Am I running into a bug...

Can I wrap text in tasks?
Is it possible to have Outlook 2000 wrap the text that is in the Task Pad? I see where I can change the width of the columns, but want I need is an option for the Task Rows which will allow me to wrap the task subject cell. I know that if I type text into the body of the New Task, that it will widen the task to allow room for the note text entry, but when I print the view, that goes away and I am once again stuck with only the subject of the task. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cindi No Outlook table views wrap. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook...

looping message that fills up exchange priv1
Right, here we go.. I have currently been asked to look after a third party exchange 2003 server,(which is fine,) but by the time I left on the second day of looking at their network their exchange server has dismounted due to lack of space. This is a company that has 10 employees and an exchange 2003 server. When I look through the general settings for mailboxes's the total of users is about 500 MB. The physical size of the priv database AFTER a defrag is 14GB. I have installed GFI Mailsecurity to quick fix a looping message they have and several external companies have. But due to the f...

Why doesn't wrap text function work?
After about 1125 characters in a cell, the wrap text function stops working. Why? Is it repairable? Is it just me or everyone? Excel 2003 Hi 1024 characters is the limit. You may enter some manual linebreaks with aLT+ENTER in this cell "Curious" wrote: > After about 1125 characters in a cell, the wrap text function stops working. > Why? Is it repairable? > Is it just me or everyone? > Excel 2003 And it's not just you, it's everybody. Depending on what you need this for, you may want to consider using a table in MSWord. The additional benefits of getting t...

How to sum negative times
Hi all, I have the following formula for my worktime sheet: =IF($H$2<=F3;(F3-$H$2);"-"&TEXT($H$2-F3;"[HH]:mm")) Given that I have to work 8:24 hours a day (8 hours and 24 minutes) with that formula I can check if I worked more or less 8:24. Now I have to sum all days in a month: there are positive as well as negative times. The problem is that only positive cells are summed - the negative cells are not considered. How can I solve this problem? E.g. (00:35) + (-00:24) = (00:09) (== 9 minutes) http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/tip/dealing_with_negative_time_va...

add accents to text
I want to add accents to first/last names in a spreadsheet I'd also like to be able to add scientific symbols to text in a spreadsheet. From your START button go to Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Character Map Slow way: use Select/Copy then Paste into Excel Faster way: click on the accented letter you want, look at bottom right corner (eg for ï {as in naïve} you'll see "Keystroke: Alt + 0239). Do this for all the accented letters you think you will need. Keep the paper handy and use the Alt + four digit code to obtain your results. Stephen Powell "mtambeau...

Exchange Permissions--Strange One
Hi by default, domain admins (and ent. admins) are denied "receive as" and "send as" permissions to the mailbox store. additionally, by default, on the exchange advanced tab under the mailbox rights button, domain admins are DENIED Full Mailbox Access. However, if you look at the security tab for each user object, by default domain admins are allowed "send as" and "receive as" permissions. now i know that the "receive as" right is ignored on the ad user object, but i ran a small test. i logged on as a domain admin, opened up the domain admin...

Excel Text Function
Hi anyone who can help me... I have some info in a spreadsheet as follows: A1 B1 C1 Centra Dublin Centra Belfast Centra London If I want to get just Centra out into another cell I would use =LEFT(A1:C1,6) and this works fine. But I want to actually get out the area - Dublin, Belfast or London and some other areas that might have more or less than 7 letters. Any ideas??? Thanks in advance Ann (Dublin, Ireland) =TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"Centra","")) will work if you have city names and centra.. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Ann&q...

copy text on the screen as text?
A long time ago I wrote a program that copied the screen. But that produced an image of the screen. I'm guessing that that is the best one can do but I would like to copy text on the screen as text (i.e. as a string) Do you know if that is possible? Or maybe, you know why that it is not possible - if so, of course, I'd like to know that. Thanks Cal Who wrote: > A long time ago I wrote a program that copied the screen. > But that produced an image of the screen. > > I'm guessing that that is the best one can do but I would like to copy text...

New Message Options
I have created a message that I do not want to be sent until a certain date. I went to "Options" and I check do not send before and added a future date. However, the date has come and gone and the person did not get the e- mail. It is still in my outbox. How come? Is there something else that I should have done? ...

Multiple SEARCHes within same TEXT string
Hi, I have a column which contains text strings that represent colours. However, the *actual* colour is often buried in other text i.e. METBLACKPAINT. I have a list of 12 single-word colours i.e. BLACK, and want to identify in one formula which (if any) of the 12 is buried in the text string (and then have the formula return that colour) If I had just 7 colours, I'd just go with nested IFs and SEARCH, but as I have 12 that is not an option. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Jason Assume your 12 single-word colours eg: BLACK, WHITE, etc are in a defined co...

Message disapears when I reply or forward a message
I'm using Win98, and Outlook Express. When I forward or reply to a message, it will disapear from my computer. Any one have any ideas why this might be happening? Duane Hubbard wrote: > I'm using Win98, and Outlook Express. When I forward or reply to a > message, it will disapear from my computer. Any one have any ideas why > this might be happening? View-Current View and uncheck "Show unread messages only" (or words to that effect. BTW, This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97/98/2000/2002/2003 from the Office suite of products. Outlook Express is actuall...

Vanishing Entourage Message Text
OK, so here's a good one. On the MacBook Pro, running latest OS and up to date Office 2004, some email messages display no text. Toggling the "display complex HTML" does not resolve this. If I get the same message forwarded through another user, it often displays properly. Suggestions? Dan Hi Dan, are you by any chance connected to an Exchange 2003 server? If yes, Microsoft released a patch a week or two ago which introduced a bug in OWA. They are aware of the problem and working on a fix. If that does not explain your problem, you'll have to post back and be more sp...

how to read my messages
Bonjour, j'ai sauvegard=E9 mes messages outlook sur mon disque dur,=20 et j'ai vir=E9 outlook. Est-il possible de lire =E0 nouveau=20 ces fichiers, sans r=E9installer outlook ? Merci (ils apparaissent en .msg) ...

Strange Email failure error
Can anyone help? Using Outlook 2002 and POP3 mail. I've always been able to send emails to my wife's work email address until this week, when I get this very strange failure notice. "Connected to 213.2.49.230 but greeting failed. Remote host said: 421 reppsrv01.repp.co.uk is not accepting new connections. Please try later I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long." Does anyone know what the hell this means? thanks -- Google is your Friend Email address deliberately false to avoid spam: gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk www.gbpcomputin...

Great Plains should use Transaction Processing in SQL Server
This concerns Great Plains version 7.5 on MS SQL Server 2000 SP3. Day before yesterday a brief electric power outage occurred exactly while a user was posting a batch of invoices in PM. The database server and other network components were on UPS and did not fail in any way, but the workstation PC doing the posting was not on a UPS and it rebooted. This left the invoice batch in a sort of "half posted" state. In fact there was resulting damage in both the PM and GL areas of the database, because we have the system set up to post through in detail to GL. We first attempted...

Very Strange
Hi I have a Word 2007 document. In this I am using 3 different heading styles. I want to use the feature 'Select Text with Similar Formatting' but it is not working. I have 5 headings that are all Title Case, size 10, Times New Roman, Left aligned and Bold there is exactly the same formatting applied to all 5 headings - I even checked the paragraph spacing - all headings are 0pt before and 12pt after. I checked show and hide - everything I repeat everything is the same - can you tell me why oh why will this feature only select 3 of my headings and not the 5???? ...

Saving as a text file with quotes AND commas
I need to have a text file with quotes and comma delimited i.e. "C1","Anne","1429" etc. The file exists as a comma delimitted text file. I open it in Excel and add quotes using a vba macro. If I save it as a .csv file it adds another set of quotes. If I don't put the quotes in with the macro and save it as .csv it doesn't add any quotes. If I save it any other way it doesn't have commas. HELP!! John, Get the Text Write Program (a workbook) from www.tushar-mehta.com. Don't add the quotes. You can tell the program to put the quotes around all f...

Great Plains Server Migration #3
I am in the process of Migration Great Plains from an old server to a more faster and efficent server. Can someone help me with some procedures on how to proceed with this project. I have FRx and Crystal Reports running on the old server which needs all it's data migrated. The new server will be replacing the current server and I have no clue what I should be looking for in terms of potential problems. Thanks Capone We are finishing the same process just today. Our environment was very complex but after months of planning, testing, and piloting it looks as though our cutover is going v...