This is a problem created by a dual boot of XPPSP2 on one drive C:\ and
Vista on another drive E:\ that I use to format for new builds of Vista on
the same box.

I want to take my Outlook 2003 in box and folders on two different drives on
one box and combine them so that all the emails go to one account and all
the folders can be shared or used on each drive.

I want to do the same with Outlook Express as well, and since this is an
*Outlook newsgroup, I'll just take what I learn here and apply it to the
..dbx folder(s) in it.

The idea is to receive email on both drives in one in one common inbox and
that when I move email to folders I create I want it to go to the same
folder on both drives.

I can move the folders, I could copy or back up Outlook various ways, but
that does not solve the problem of having to update them all the time so
that I can get mail in one inbox and use the folders simultaneously. That
would only give me access to old folders and inbox, and anything I did on
one drive wouldn't happen in Outlook on the other.

I posted this problem earlier and the one piece of info I got was this:

"set up a shared folder either in XP or Vista and point both instances of OE
to the same store folder. No need to burn, copy, or anything. as you can't
have both XP and Vista running at the same time, this solution would seem
to be ideal"

I would appreciate it if I could get the steps for doing this or a link to
the steps.

Thanks,

Chad Harris

Here are some links that might help:

Outlook:
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
Outlook & Exchange/Windows Messaging Backup and Dual-Boot

Outlook Express:
http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/files/
Files and Settings
http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/backup/
Backup and Restore

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.   NBC   Channel 4

"Chad Harris" <anews3_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> This is a problem created by a dual boot of XPPSP2 on one drive C:\ and
> Vista on another drive E:\ that I use to format for new builds of Vista on
> the same box.
>
> I want to take my Outlook 2003 in box and folders on two different drives
on
> one box and combine them so that all the emails go to one account and all
> the folders can be shared or used on each drive.
>
> I want to do the same with Outlook Express as well, and since this is an
> *Outlook newsgroup, I'll just take what I learn here and apply it to the
> .dbx folder(s) in it.
>
> The idea is to receive email on both drives in one in one common inbox and
> that when I move email to folders I create I want it to go to the same
> folder on both drives.
>
> I can move the folders, I could copy or back up Outlook various ways, but
> that does not solve the problem of having to update them all the time so
> that I can get mail in one inbox and use the folders simultaneously. That
> would only give me access to old folders and inbox, and anything I did on
> one drive wouldn't happen in Outlook on the other.
>
> I posted this problem earlier and the one piece of info I got was this:
>
> "set up a shared folder either in XP or Vista and point both instances of
OE
> to the same store folder. No need to burn, copy, or anything. as you can't
> have both XP and Vista running at the same time, this solution would seem
> to be ideal"
>
> I would appreciate it if I could get the steps for doing this or a link to
> the steps.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chad Harris

hhh6225 (363)
4/29/2006 2:06:31 AM
Hal --

I appreciate the links and time a lot,  but maybe I'm not clear.  I can use
backup methods like those or I could go (correct me if I'm wrong) to the
location of the .pst folder(s) for OL and paralleling this for OE --and I
realize the difference lol Gordon--I could do that for .dbx folders. But
anything along the lines of backup would allow me to install them to the
Vista drive.

What I am trying to do is make one conjoint inbox and conjoint Outlook (and
OE in a parallel vein). I want to join them so that if I'm in my  Vista boot
on Drive E:\  and send to the email address I use for OL and OE that they
will show up in one Outlook inbox that can be read whether I'm on C:\ with
my XP boot or E:\ my Vista boot.

This means that in real time that I want to be able to send an email to that
account and it will show up in one Outlook on either drive.  If I can join
them, I can already have use of my previously created folders.

I didn't do this but I wonder had I named my User profile in Vista the same
name as the one in XP if it would have helped me join them, and what would
happen if I created another user profile in Vista with the same name as the
XP profile.  I am guessing that train has left the station since the Vista
profile was already created and an email account established but maybe not.

Can I use the Export function to help me with this?

Also I was looking for the steps to make this happen which I thought would
be a feasible solution that had been suggested to me:

set up a shared folder either in XP or Vista and point both instances of OE
to the same store folder. No need to burn, copy, or anything. as you can't
have both XP and Vista running at the same time, this solution would seem
to be ideal.

Thanks much,

Chad Harris

"Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
> Here are some links that might help:
>
> Outlook:
> http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
> Outlook & Exchange/Windows Messaging Backup and Dual-Boot
>
> Outlook Express:
> http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/files/
> Files and Settings
> http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/backup/
> Backup and Restore
>
> Hal
> --
> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
> KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.   NBC   Channel 4
> Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>
> "Chad Harris" <anews3_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> This is a problem created by a dual boot of XPPSP2 on one drive C:\ and
>> Vista on another drive E:\ that I use to format for new builds of Vista
>> on
>> the same box.
>>
>> I want to take my Outlook 2003 in box and folders on two different drives
> on
>> one box and combine them so that all the emails go to one account and all
>> the folders can be shared or used on each drive.
>>
>> I want to do the same with Outlook Express as well, and since this is an
>> *Outlook newsgroup, I'll just take what I learn here and apply it to the
>> .dbx folder(s) in it.
>>
>> The idea is to receive email on both drives in one in one common inbox
>> and
>> that when I move email to folders I create I want it to go to the same
>> folder on both drives.
>>
>> I can move the folders, I could copy or back up Outlook various ways, but
>> that does not solve the problem of having to update them all the time so
>> that I can get mail in one inbox and use the folders simultaneously. That
>> would only give me access to old folders and inbox, and anything I did on
>> one drive wouldn't happen in Outlook on the other.
>>
>> I posted this problem earlier and the one piece of info I got was this:
>>
>> "set up a shared folder either in XP or Vista and point both instances of
> OE
>> to the same store folder. No need to burn, copy, or anything. as you
>> can't
>> have both XP and Vista running at the same time, this solution would seem
>> to be ideal"
>>
>> I would appreciate it if I could get the steps for doing this or a link
>> the steps.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Chad Harris

I understand you cannot have two installs of OL on the same PC, I assume
however that you can install two on a dual boot sys. That being the case the
OL data file (pst) can be located anywhere on the sys, so maybe if you move
this to a folder that both installs can access? I dont know what effect, if
any, there would be with the other OL settings files

> [...]
so
> >> that I can get mail in one inbox and use the folders simultaneously.
That
> >> would only give me access to old folders and inbox, and anything I did
on
> >> one drive wouldn't happen in Outlook on the other.
> >>
> >> I posted this problem earlier and the one piece of info I got was this:
> >>
> >> "set up a shared folder either in XP or Vista and point both instances
of
> > OE
> >> to the same store folder. No need to burn, copy, or anything. as you
> >> can't
> >> have both XP and Vista running at the same time, this solution would
seem
> >> to be ideal"
> >>
> >> I would appreciate it if I could get the steps for doing this or a link

dl6256 (276)

CRM integrated with Cisco Call Manager 4.2
i want to find if Microsoft CRM Small Business is integrated with Cisco Call Manager version 4.2 and if so i need all the resources. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6713/products_data_sheet0900aecd8032ff6c.html Microsoft platforms supported Integrates with Microsoft Small Business Server 2003, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000 Professional, and Windows XP. "Amgad Fouad" <Amgad Fouad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AB7CAB42-974A-41EC-B689-5C05E3509B37@microsoft.com... >i want to find if Microsoft CRM Small Business is integra...

Office Assistant and Outlook 2003
Since I updated Outlook to Outlook 2003 on my Windows XP system, Microsoft Office 2000 now continually reports that it cannot load the Office Assistant. The Assistant appears for Outlook, but each time it is always the default character. Any ideas? Scullypuss <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Since I updated Outlook to Outlook 2003 on my Windows XP > system, Microsoft Office 2000 now continually reports > that it cannot load the Office Assistant. > > The Assistant appears for Outlook, but each time it is > always the default character. Happens to me...

Shared calendars.
I currently have a client with Exchange 2000. (Actually running Small Business Server) They have about 25 sites that they need to have shared calendars for. Currently there's an Exchange account for each site, and each Outlook client is configured with all the sites added into their "Open these additional mailboxes". Then, they have the calendar from each site dragged onto their Outlook shortcut bar and renamed to the name of the site. Needless to say this is a pain to manage. Let alone to set up additional users/sites. What I'm hoping is that I can set up a folder with ...

Want to use both Outlook Express and Outlook
I have two email boxes, and I want to keep them separate. I'm presently using Outlook for one and Outlook Express for another. If I delete a contact in the address book of Outlook Express, it deletes it in Outlook too. How do I keep them separate? Also - is it possible to I run two Outlook programs instead of Outlook and Outlook Express? "Linda H." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:13dce01c3f95c$adcf7e70$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I have two email boxes, and I want to keep them > separate. I'm presently using Outlook for one and &g...

copy and paste question #2
I want to copy and past this cell into another cell but want the exact formula in it. What it does is that it moves the formula over by how many cells you paste it too. I would really appreciate it. -- hb2474 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ hb2474's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=4189 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=278746 Put a dollar sign ($) in front of the column and row reference before copying and pasting. Example: = $A$1 This is called absolute referencing. ...

step in-between printer (LPT)
I need to develop some software that will step in between a computer and it's printer. The software should read from one LPT port (connected to printing computer) and then redirect that traffic out a second LPT port (connected to printer). It will do stuff to the data as it goes by. Can you give me any direction on what is needed to develop this? How do I read/write to/from the LPT port in Windows? Are there any libraries available that can manage the communications? Do I need to develop a driver to do this? Thanks! werdna.sivad@gmail.com wrote: <snip> > develop this? Ho...

Outlook 2003 ERROR MAPI32.DLL is Corrupt
I just purchased a new laptop and I am trying to install my Office 2003 software. Word and Excel open fine but when I click on Outlook I get the following message. Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. MAPI32.DLL is corrupt or the wrong version. This could have been caused by installing other messaging software. Please reinstall Outlook. I tried reinstalling but I get the same error. I am running windows 7 on a core i7 64 bit processor. What can I do to get this up and running? I don't think there is any messaging softwareinstalled. Thanks for any input Cole Easy...

outlook xp will not start
I can not start outlook xp. I get an hourglass as if it is trying to start but nothing. I repaired my files with the original cd and nothing. I unistalled and reinstalled Office and nothing. Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks, Ron Does it start in safe mode? * Start > Run > type: outlook.exe /safe > ok button If yes, try renaming outcmd.dat to outcmd.bak while all e-mail enabled apps + outlook are closed. (file is in a hidden/system directory) "Ron" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2b8301c470a5$ffaa6b90$a301280a@phx.gbl... >...

Outlook losing appointments!
Using Outlook 2003 (all of Office 2003), and Win XP Pro SP1. I regularly check the Office Update site to get the latest security patches, etc. Something strange has been going on in Outlook the last couple of weeks, which never happened to me before. I look at the calendar, and some of the appointments that I set are not there any more! Not all appointments, just some. But they were definitely entered into Outlook, and later seemed to have vanished. I have sometimes been able to retrieve one or more of the missing appointments from a backup copy of my outlook.pst file, if the disappearance oc...

lookup #2
learnt lots from these pages and now have formulas doing all my results, but i can't find a way to auto my entries. i have 900 students with a larges number entering say the athletics. column A first; B surname; C house; D grade; E gender; F 100m to Q discus. i put a 1 in the events they enter. i then filter say junior girls discus and copy to appropriate form on the discus sheet. its time consuming and the whole process has to be redone if i have to accept late entries. i have tried vlookup with if. index and row but i can't get anything to work. is it possible say from the jun...

Excel and outlook #4
and also, what does that funny icon next to my post mean? -- Matt Houston ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt Houston's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=4517 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=266783 ...

Sharing .PSTfile.
Does anyone know if it is possible to share simultanously a .PST file. The systemmanger of Exchange will not setup a groupaccount, so no help there. I am working on a project and all relevant mail is redirected to a .PST file, if another person try to open this file it gets the messages file is in use. ...

MS Outlook #4
Any idea why, after I close MS Outlook and then try to turn off the computer, it tells me that outlook.exe is still active and not responding? ...

Pasting copied picture from Excel into Outlook
Shift+Edit+Copy Picture+As Shown when Printed+Format Picture I love to do this because it let's me easily illustrate a financial concept or scenario to someone without attaching a whole email or cut and pasting a section of a worksheet that looses its formatting. The problem I have is that the numbers and letters appear rough and pixelated to the recipients. Its legible but not as clear as it looks when I paste it into the body. Anyone have any ideas to clean this up? I believe its happening because outlook is converting it from an office image format to jpg. if the recipients use ou...

Exclusive access in a shared environment
Hello - I'm having trouble with an application I'm distributing to multiple users on a local network. A certain percentage of the users are getting an error message saying that they do not have exclusive access to the database and that 'any changes will be lost'. The worst part is that this message is a 'looping popup', that is when you click 'ok' the popup immediately reappears, ad infinitum. -- These users have read/write access to the shared files in question. -- Even though the looping popup effectively crashes the app, the ldb file is being succe...

Outlook blocks access
I am trying to sync my large address book in Outlook with my phone using Bluetooth. When I open the connection Outlook tells me an application is trying to open Outlook & allows a maximum of 10minutes to get the information it requires. Unfortunately that's not enough time for my phone to sync all the contacts. Can I disable this feature on a temporary or permanent basis? or can I increase the maximum allowed time currently offered by Outlook. Any help gratefully received Chris Check with your synchronization tool vendor for a newer version that avoids the security prompt....

Convert Outlook Express files (DBX) to Outlook 2000 files (PST)
I have four years worth of e-mails backed up and stored from when I used Outlook Express, these files are saved as DBX. I want to covert these to PST files so that I may one day view them in the current version of Outlook. I don't want to import the DBX files into my current outlook because I am afraid of two things: I don't want to comibe this information and the file size will be extremely large. How can I convert the DBX files (Outlook Express mail) into PST Files (Outlook 2000)? Also, can I do the same with the Address Book File of Outlook Express? Thanks, Frank &quo...

Server 2003 users get access denied on server 2008 shares
Hi! I'm domain admin in an enterprise domain structure where we have 7 different, but trusted, domains all in the same forest. I'm having some troubles with access rights, cross domain. In our domain, A, we have the domain functional level set to 2008 and all servers, besides 1 is 2008 Standard SP2. In domain B, domain funtional level 2003, we have users wanting to access shares on a 2008 server in domain A. They can see the shares but are getting access denied trying to open them. I've struggled a bit with an admin in domain B and recently found out that adding...

Outlook Signature #6
Hi there, We have a customer who says that everytime they get windows updates they have to re-apply the signature. The are running outlook 2003. Has anyone come across this as I haven't? David Nope - never heard of this problem. --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After furious head scratching, David asked: | Hi there, |=20 | We have a customer who says that everytime they get windows updates | they have to re-apply the signature. The are running outlook 2003. | Has anyone come across this as I haven't? | David ...

Share files
I can't work with files on laptop while networked with home computer. From home computer, laptop files are read only even though I try to change their properties (share, let users make changes) on the laptop.????????????? Help, anyone? Buzz ...

Outlook 2003 speech recognition?
Every time I start the program it asks me to load or install the speech recognition files. How can I stop this? I tried to install but kept getting some error so I quit trying. Robin Hood <robinhood2@juno.com> wrote: > Every time I start the program it asks me to load or install the > speech recognition files. Try going into control panel and disabling speech. If that doesn't work, just let it finish its install. -- Brian Tillman I turned on OSE in services and this time it let the installation go all the way. I will repost if that didn't help THX On Thu, 28 ...

Microsoft outlook 2000
How do I set up the server info, ect to make my Outlook mail work? I have Windows 7 installed. -- Michael R. Cook First of all, Outlook 2000 is not fully compatible with Windows 7, same as with Vista: http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/ol2000_win7.htm Your mail service provider will typically have a web page that shows how to set up mail service with popular mail clients like Outlook. The newsgroup to which you posted is for the Windows Mail program. You are more likely to find Outlook experts in the Outlook newsgroup: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categor...

Can't emulate in code steps I can do manually
I have a form where I am entering some data and then clicking a button to run some SQL statements. Sporadically, I am getting an error message. The error message is "Microsoft Office Access can't append all the records in the append query". If I move to the previous record on the form and then back to the current record before I click on the button, there is no error with the SQL statements. If I hit Ctrl-S before I click on the button, there is no error. But, if I do neither of these steps, I get the error listed above. I have attempted to band-aid the problem by just putt...

restore inbox #2
moved all inbox messages to personal folder and lost them how can I restore Find your .pst file and use File->Open. Or are you saying that you cannot *see* your messages? If yes, then check to ensure you do not have a view set on the folder and that you are not sorting by icon. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, ruth asked: | moved all inbox messag...

Backing Up Outlook Express Files
What is the process to back up my Outlook Express files. I have 2 years of emails and would like to save them to a CD for safe keeping. Thanks in advance for your help. Lauren Lauren wrote: > What is the process to back up my Outlook Express files. > I have 2 years of emails and would like to save them to a > CD for safe keeping. Thanks in advance for your help. > > Lauren This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.in...