Starting over?

How do I start again from scratch in Outlook with a new .pst file? I don't
want to uninstall and reinstall Outlook.

0
jbloggs (9)

You can try creating a fresh profile here: Control Panel > Email. From there
you can create new mail accounts & new Personal Folder files

"John Smith" <jbloggs@nospam.net> wrote in message
> How do I start again from scratch in Outlook with a new .pst file? I don't
> want to uninstall and reinstall Outlook.

0
vince8328 (2733)
7/30/2009 12:33:16 PM
Uninstall / Reinstall wont do anything.
Control Panel>Mail Applet, create a new profile, add new data file and
accounts
But then is there a particular reason?

"John Smith" <jbloggs@nospam.net> wrote in message
> How do I start again from scratch in Outlook with a new .pst file? I don't
> want to uninstall and reinstall Outlook.

0
notvalid5776 (249)
7/30/2009 12:35:04 PM
"DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
> Uninstall / Reinstall wont do anything.
> Control Panel>Mail Applet, create a new profile, add new data file and
> accounts
> But then is there a particular reason?
>
> "John Smith" <jbloggs@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> How do I start again from scratch in Outlook with a new .pst file? I
>> don't want to uninstall and reinstall Outlook.

Yes, I was importing e-mails from OE and it froze. So I restarted and it had
imported a portion of them. Then I tried to import and selected do not
create duplicates, but it created them anyway. Rather than manually delete
all the duplicates, I would rather start afresh.

Also, how do I import my mail rules from OE, I selected to have this happen
but it didn't seem to take?

0
jbloggs (9)
7/30/2009 12:41:35 PM

> Yes, I was importing e-mails from OE and it froze. So I restarted and it
> had imported a portion of them. Then I tried to import and selected do not
> create duplicates, but it created them anyway. Rather than manually delete
> all the duplicates, I would rather start afresh.

And when you do, do NOT import in Outlook, open Outlook Express and EXPORT.
Why? Because if you import in Outlook, all the modified dates are changed to
the date of import.
If you export from OE, the modified dates don't alter. Outlook uses the
Modified date for, amongst other things, archiving.

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> And when you do, do NOT import in Outlook, open Outlook Express and EXPORT.
> Why? Because if you import in Outlook, all the modified dates are changed to
> the date of import.
> If you export from OE, the modified dates don't alter. Outlook uses the
> Modified date for, amongst other things, archiving.

The Modified date isn't the important thing when importing messages.  What's
important is that the Received date will change to the import time/date when
you import from within Outlook rather than export from OE.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16053)
7/30/2009 3:38:38 PM
"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> And when you do, do NOT import in Outlook, open Outlook Express and
>> EXPORT.
>> Why? Because if you import in Outlook, all the modified dates are changed
>> to the date of import.
>> If you export from OE, the modified dates don't alter. Outlook uses the
>> Modified date for, amongst other things, archiving.
>
> The Modified date isn't the important thing when importing messages.
> What's important is that the Received date will change to the import
> time/date when you import from within Outlook rather than export from OE.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

OK, what steps do I take to remove the old .pst file and create a new one?
I'm sure I read that if I just delete the old .pst then Outlook gets
annoyed.

0
jbloggs (9)
7/30/2009 11:37:49 PM
within Outlook, file>new>Data file
Set it as default msg store
Or use the Mail applet in the control panel

> "Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> And when you do, do NOT import in Outlook, open Outlook Express and
>>> EXPORT.
>>> Why? Because if you import in Outlook, all the modified dates are
>>> changed to the date of import.
>>> If you export from OE, the modified dates don't alter. Outlook uses the
>>> Modified date for, amongst other things, archiving.
>>
>> The Modified date isn't the important thing when importing messages.
>> What's important is that the Received date will change to the import
>> time/date when you import from within Outlook rather than export from OE.
>> --
>> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
>
> OK, what steps do I take to remove the old .pst file and create a new one?
> I'm sure I read that if I just delete the old .pst then Outlook gets
> annoyed.

0
notvalid5776 (249)

Starting up on start-up help!

Need advice to start off a project
Hello! I have never really used Excel much but I have had an idea which could make some of the work I do a lot easier. I know Excel is powerful but I don't know the best way to approach it so can anyone out there help me? I make visits to places and record what kind of visit it was on a spreadsheet with the values in each cell being the date. At the bottom there is a summary box which shows, on each date, how many visits I made of each type. At the moment this is done manually but I am sure it can be done automatically only how? On a different sheet I would then like to have a summary of...

Cannot start Outlook 2002
My computer is usualy connected to an MS Exchange server at work. However I'd like to use Outlook at home with another e-mail account. When I try to start Outlook I get an error message : Cannot connect to exchange server. So I click work offline. Then, get another error message: Cannot start Outlook. Could not open information store. The the program quits. Anyone know a work around? Thanks. Create a new profile for your home account. Then set Outlook to prompt for profile. Select your home profile and Outlook will not try to connect to Exchange. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook...

Exchange Services Do not Start After a Restart #2
I have a SBS 2003 Running and for some reason some of my Exchange Service do not start after a restart. System Attendand tries to start shuts down unexpectedly. I can go to services right after logging in and start the services and they start with no problem. Right before the error that service did not start, I get this warning: "A service process other than the one launched by the Service Control Manager connected when starting the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service. The Service Control Manager launched process 2448 and process 3688 connected instead. Note that if this se...

Macro or Lookup? Not sure where to start.
I have created two worksheets: 1) Auction Items Item# Table# Location# ItemDescription WinBid are the headers of the data. 2) Bidders Bidder# FirstName LastName I would like to be able to create a macro or something that will allow me to enter the item#, bidder# and winning bid price and have a sheet filled with. ie. Item# 2 (Handcrafted Table) Bidder# 12 (John Doe) Winning Bid $250 Can excel pull from two sheets and created another sheet with all the final details? I am a little new to excel (version 2000) it is the only tool/application available to us at this time. If anyone can poi...

Outlook starting problem
"Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. A dialog box is open. Close it and try again." ...

Running CHKDSK at start up
Is there a way to run chkdsk f/r on all five drives on one PC at start up? PC runs Windows XP Pro SP3. This way all drives would be checked and errors fixed, if necessary, in one go, at start up on this machine. We intend to do this on this heavily used PC from time to time - we do not need the desired chkdsk functionality to kick in at every boot! Regards and TIA. Avatar -------- "Avatar" <Avatar@re.birth> wrote in message news:hrb4n2$53i$1@news.eternal-september.org... > Is there a way to run chkdsk f/r on all five drives on one PC at start up? ...

Can't Start Any Program
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel It has been two weeks since I can open an Office Program. Please HEEELP! This is my word error report: Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0 Error Signature: Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS Date/Time: 2009-09-09 19:04:02 -0400 Application Name: Microsoft Word Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word Application Signature: MSWD Application Version: 12.2.0.090605 Crashed Module Name: CoreFoundation Crashed Module Version: unknown Crashed Module Offset: 0x00075354 Blame Module Name: CoreFoundation Blame Module Version: unk...

Starting a new paragraph within a cell
How do you create a line break within a cell? For example, if wanting to list 2 or more items it looks better if each one is printed under the other as a list. Or in a comment column when needing to start a new paragraph, again within the cell. Hi. You can press Alt + Enter to create a line break within a cell. Kath firman wrote: > How do you create a line break within a cell? For example, if wanting to list > 2 or more items it looks better if each one is printed under the other as a > list. Or in a comment column when needing to start a new paragraph, again > within th...

How do I add consecutive numbers but start over at a break in the.
add consecutive numbers but start over at a break in them. I'm trying to calculate consecutive days of attendance. ...

CD does not start
After installing XP on a new disk everything appeared normal. I was able to install a few applications from their cds. Then I attempted to install an application from a downloaded file, but it did not work. So I installed MS frame works and windows installer. Then I was able to install the application from the downloaded file. When I attempted to install another application from its cd (with autorun), nothing happened, namely it fail to start. If I force the setup.exe from Explorer, the error message shows up: "the application configuration is incorrect". Thinking for...

Money 2007 tries to update on each start
On each start up, Money 2007 advises that in order to run properly an update to Money 2007 is necessary. When I click OK it downloads files and again I click to start the upgrade. After a few minutes the update completes and a dialog box advises that I should restart Money and if it will not open properly I should restart my computer. I do so and all seems to be OK, but on starting money the update dialog box is back. I checked the Money folder and the update log shows that the update completed. So how do I stop the annoying update dialog box from displaying on each start? "GWL&qu...

What is the main thing to remember to get started in EXCEL?
What are some tips to make Excel easier to understand and employ? Just remember that Excel is not a database, though it can do some database functions, and it is not a word processor, though it can do some word processing functions. Get a good book - one by John Walkenbach would be a good choice: http://www.j-walk.com/ss/books/index.htm HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Mr.Harrison" <Mr.Harrison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3796CE4E-1D28-4BDD-9D8F-E378C10F892F@microsoft.com... > What are some tips to make Excel easier to understand and employ? if you spen...

Outlook 2007 won't start, message, can't start microsoft office o.
I run Windows 7 and Outlook 2007 just quit working. The error message is: Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. I have had a similar problem because I keep my pst file on a network share so I can use it with my roaming profile, and sometimes the network share goes awol.... To reset the outlook window run 'outlook.exe /resetnavpane' at the command prompt. "Tony Wybrow" wrote: > I run Windows 7 and Outlook 2007 just quit working. The error message is: > Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook w...

Publisher won't start from Start menu
Its happened before and I can't remember how it was put right (by a nice lady on here if I recall) but I double click my shortcut for Publisher in the Start menu, and...nothing. I have to go into C:\Program Files\office to click on the thumbnail thedre before it'll work. Anyone know how to fix this ? Right click MSPub.exe, Drag the Publisher icon from the Program Files to the desktop or Quick Launch, click "Create shortcut here". -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Phil K" <philk001@gmail.com> wrote in message news:33526F5B-7319-4771-8E3D-4E937F...

How long should it take an Information Store to start with no edb.chk
We've been having problems with our 5.5 server (20 hours in now) Having performed a restore of an offline backup we started the Information Store with no edb.chk. I believe this will go through all the edb.log files and replay what it needs to. I have 26 log files (so 130Mb) and the priv.edb is around 31Gb in size. The information store has been starting up now for over 5 hours. There seems to be activity the service control "clock" is spinning. No errors in the Event logs whilst this happens. I read in article KB 200941 How the Restore in Progress Registry Key works that if...

MS Wordmail could not be started
hi, I try to reply or send a new message and I get the following warning: Microsoft wordmail could not be started. Try one of the following: close any open dialog boxes in Word. make sure word is installed... and.... close other programs and try again. I have all other programs closed, only outlook open, and word is installed and runs well, this problem is not occurring all the time but I can see no difference between what I am doing when it works and when it doesn't. thanks for a positive reply grant. Grant, please let us know what Operating System and versions of O...

Starting over?
How do I start again from scratch in Outlook with a new .pst file? I don't want to uninstall and reinstall Outlook. You can try creating a fresh profile here: Control Panel > Email. From there you can create new mail accounts & new Personal Folder files "John Smith" <jbloggs@nospam.net> wrote in message news:1ZydnRfQG9kcFOzXnZ2dnUVZ8n2dnZ2d@giganews.com... > How do I start again from scratch in Outlook with a new .pst file? I don't > want to uninstall and reinstall Outlook. > Uninstall / Reinstall wont do anything. Control Panel>Mail Applet...

Cannot start Microsoft Outlook #3
I get the message "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook". I've reinstalled Office 2000 and still get the same message. Any ideas? 1) try running scanpst.exe on your Personal Folder 2) try renaming outcmd.dat to .old and restart Outlook. All the Toolbars will reset then. This is quite a common problem with Outlook . The default location for this file is: C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook 3) try recreating the profile in Control Panel-> Mail-> button Show Profiles 4) try running Outlook with the /safe switch from your St...

appointment start and end times
Can I assign a appointment without a start and end time? ie: "tba" No. For that it would be better to use a Task. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP Author - Special Edition Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Lead Author - Access 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference Author - Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft OneNote 2003 http://blogs.officezealot.com/cardoza http://www.cardozasolutions.com "Signman" <Signman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19FBFD05-0702-4A7B-9198-E9052352FF47@microsoft.com... > Can I assign a appointment without a star...

Windows Not Starting Past Loading Bar
New to the forums, hope this is the right place for this. For the last few days, I haven't been able to start Windows past the green loading bar. The first couple of days when I tried to turn on the computer it would take me to an 'Error Start Up' screen where I would try to restart using safe mode or something. Now though, it does the blue HP screen, then goes black with a grey loading bar that says "Loading Files" and then from there it goes to the green loading bar. This has happened to me once before, although, it was fixed in just a couple of days....

Can not run at start
Hi All, I have a program which need to run at start when user login. The vender, who develop the program, save a value in registry key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run But for some reason, the program did not run at start. In Task Manager, under Processes tag, I could not find out the program. Any body knows why it happened? How to fix the problem? Thanks in advance. --qq "qq" <qq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D56F225B-F5A6-4AE3-AC67-A79A7A3ED839@microsoft.com... > I have a program which n...

variable start date for reports
I have a report that summarizes attendance occurances for my team of 50 employees. Right now the date values are entered by the user before report execution. I want the start date to be flexible... I built a query which shows all reps on an active attendance write up (within the last 180 days). I want the attendance report to use the query's write up date as the start date for each employee (if an active write up exists), and if no active write up exists, then use the current date minus 180 days. The code would need to loop through each employee to determine the start date of the report. ...

Change Start Up options at Start Up
Access 2000/2003 While developing a database I leave the various tick boxes in the StartUp form enabled so that I have all menus, etc active. Each time I deploy the .mde database file to the customer I disable some options, primarily 'Allow Full Menus' and 'Allow Toolbar/Menu Changes' (if I remember to). What I would like to do is disable the menu options automatically when the program starts if the file type is .mde and leave them enabled if the file type is .mdb. I found some code at :- http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa200349 which toggles the StartUp tick boxe...

Chat starting in 20 minutes
Apologies for the short notice. Our Open Forum live chat is starting soon. You can ask questions on any Microsoft Dynamics RMS topic. To join the room, click the EnterChatRoom link on this page: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/chats/default.mspx If you want to participate in future chats, you can get more information on this site: http://www.microsoft.com/msrms/customer Chats happen the first Thursday of each month unless otherwise noted, at 10 a.m. Pacific time. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and it confers no rights. ...