starting OL 2000 with the /prefetch:1 command line switch

I have just become aware of the:   /prefetch:1 command line switch to make
applications start faster.   For some reason, it works on my OE 6 program
(and many others I have installed on my Pentium IV PC running XP Home SP2)
but not on my OL 2000 program.   When I start OL2000 with the following
command line:

"E:\Microsoft Office\Outlook2000\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE" /prefetch:1

I get an error message that says:

the command line argument is not valid. Verify the switch you are using.

Any ideas?  Jay

0
sonrisa322 (18)

J <sonrisa322@comcast.net> wrote:

> When I start OL2000 with the following command line:
>
> "E:\Microsoft Office\Outlook2000\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE" /prefetch:1
>
> I get an error message that says:
>
> the command line argument is not valid. Verify the switch you are
> using.
> Any ideas?

Yea.  Outlook 2000 doesn't support that switch.  Switches are handled by the
application.  If no one programmed the switch into the application, it
doesn't work..
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
12/6/2004 6:38:39 PM
Thanks Brian,

I'm surprised that this MS application (OL 2000) doesn't support the switch,
since MS designed the OS and the MS software divisions should be talking to
each other.  I guess the clich� that truth is stranger than fiction applies
here.

I wonder if OL2002 or OL2003 support the prefetch switch?  I wouldn't
upgrade to OL2003 just for that reason alone but if OL2003  did, it might
push me to upgrade, given other advantages of OL2003.   Jay

>J <sonrisa322@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> When I start OL2000 with the following command line:
>>
>> "E:\Microsoft Office\Outlook2000\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE" /prefetch:1
>>
>> I get an error message that says:
>>
>> the command line argument is not valid. Verify the switch you are
>> using.
>> Any ideas?
>
> Yea.  Outlook 2000 doesn't support that switch.  Switches are handled by
> the application.  If no one programmed the switch into the application, it
> doesn't work..
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
sonrisa322 (18)
12/7/2004 12:25:43 AM
J <sonrisa322@comcast.net> wrote:

> I wonder if OL2002 or OL2003 support the prefetch switch?

The KB articles and Help in Outlook that describe the switches don't mention
it.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Starting up on start-up help!

Need advice to start off a project
Hello! I have never really used Excel much but I have had an idea which could make some of the work I do a lot easier. I know Excel is powerful but I don't know the best way to approach it so can anyone out there help me? I make visits to places and record what kind of visit it was on a spreadsheet with the values in each cell being the date. At the bottom there is a summary box which shows, on each date, how many visits I made of each type. At the moment this is done manually but I am sure it can be done automatically only how? On a different sheet I would then like to have a summary of...

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
Hi, I have Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3. Everytime I go to Microsoft Updates and attempt to download Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1, I get an error message....DOWNLOAD HAS FAILED. What could the problem be? Thank you for any assistance you can give me. Me to, Anybody?? "moon4707" <moon4707@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5286C7B5-9AB1-478C-A5EE-8F315A9EAB11@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I have Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3. Everytime I go to Microsoft > Updates and attempt to download Microsoft .NET Framewo...

toolbar line see what you have typed
How do I put the line in the toolbar that will show what I've typed so I can make corrections without having to retype the entire row? Click on View on the worksheet menu bar. then make sure Formula bar is checked Then you can position the I-bar cursor where you want. Tinkerbell wrote: > > How do I put the line in the toolbar that will show what I've typed so I can > make corrections without having to retype the entire row? -- Dave Peterson So the poster may have been missing the formula bar. <grin> Use of F2 will help with entry so that you don't have t...

Cannot start Outlook 2002
My computer is usualy connected to an MS Exchange server at work. However I'd like to use Outlook at home with another e-mail account. When I try to start Outlook I get an error message : Cannot connect to exchange server. So I click work offline. Then, get another error message: Cannot start Outlook. Could not open information store. The the program quits. Anyone know a work around? Thanks. Create a new profile for your home account. Then set Outlook to prompt for profile. Select your home profile and Outlook will not try to connect to Exchange. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook...

[ANN] Switch from Apple Mail to Entourage
Are you using Apple Mail, but want to make the switch to Microsoft Entourage? Confused over the differences and how to get started? See Switch from Apple Mail to Entourage to answer your questions and get you started. This article focuses on Mail 3 (part of Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard") and Entourage 2008. Most statements made in this article are true for Mail 2 and Entourage 2004, but some newer features are only available in the latest versions of both applications. Part 1: How to move your mail and contacts Options and preferences in Mail and Entourage Part 2: Frequently Aske...

outlook 2000 profiles
Hi When anyone change computer I have to manuly create a new outlook profile on the new machine. Is there any way that I can do this with a script or a logonscript? ...

How can I formt a date in Excel in the form mm/dd that switches t.
I have an application that uses the mm/dd format. However, some of our users are in the UK and I want to display the date as dd/mm, i.e. it switches automatically depending on the region. Excel does have a format that switches depending on the region (it's prefixed with a *) but it's in a form mm/dd/yyyy and I only want mm/dd. Anyone know if this can be done? I think you need VBA for that. This UDF *should* do it Function ShowDate(dDate As Date) As String ShowDate = Format$(dDate, "short date") Select Case Application.International(xlDateOrder) Case 0, 1...

OT: printing from command prompt
In DOS, I used to be able to list a directory to the printer by typing something like DIR >lpt1. Can anyone tell me if this is still possible from the XP command prompt and what the command would be to a USB001 printer? Thanks Bill Bill Lentz wrote: > In DOS, I used to be able to list a directory to the printer by typing > something like DIR >lpt1. Can anyone tell me if this is still > possible from the XP command prompt and what the command would be to a > USB001 printer? > > Thanks > Not sure about USB, but Window R (run), cmd.exe to get the command line, ...

Exchange Services Do not Start After a Restart #2
I have a SBS 2003 Running and for some reason some of my Exchange Service do not start after a restart. System Attendand tries to start shuts down unexpectedly. I can go to services right after logging in and start the services and they start with no problem. Right before the error that service did not start, I get this warning: "A service process other than the one launched by the Service Control Manager connected when starting the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service. The Service Control Manager launched process 2448 and process 3688 connected instead. Note that if this se...

Customized system message in Exchange 2000
Hi. Knows somebody how I can customize the message that system's administrator send when a user exceeds the limit size of her mailbox? Thanks. There is a way, but it's cumbersome: Download ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/mslfiles/rltools.exe and use RLQUIKED to edit MDBSZ.DLL. You may need to repeat it after applying a service pack. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Rafa Quintero" <rafa.quinteroarrobahotmail.com> wrote in message news:OyMsBzFRGHA.196@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi. > > Knows so...

Corrupt .mny file in Money 2000.
I'm pretty sure my .mny file got corrupted. When I start Money 2000, everything is normal for the first few seconds. I can see my account balances etc. Then I get a message that Windows XP must close Money and there is an error message about 'floating point division by zero'. I've tried every salvage utility I could find and nothing has worked. I've also read thru a ton of threads in this and other groups and have come up dry. I've opened a case with Microsoft, but that hasn't worked either. They just suggest to try the salvage utilities. I do have a ba...

Macro or Lookup? Not sure where to start.
I have created two worksheets: 1) Auction Items Item# Table# Location# ItemDescription WinBid are the headers of the data. 2) Bidders Bidder# FirstName LastName I would like to be able to create a macro or something that will allow me to enter the item#, bidder# and winning bid price and have a sheet filled with. ie. Item# 2 (Handcrafted Table) Bidder# 12 (John Doe) Winning Bid $250 Can excel pull from two sheets and created another sheet with all the final details? I am a little new to excel (version 2000) it is the only tool/application available to us at this time. If anyone can poi...

Programmatically finding and deleting registry entries. 2000 and XP
Hi. I need to write a deinstaller program that goes through the registry reads a few entries then deletes them on 2000 and XP. The reason I have to do this is because the Remove feature of the Modems control panel doesnt clean everything up properly and things lie around that interfere with subsequent installations of the driver. Specifically: 1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001 But it wont always be \0001 And there are lots of that particular GUID under Class, so ideally I need a way to find the exact key somehow. Or do I...

OL and SBA
Is it possible to use a DL I have already been using in OL 2003 and connect it to MS Small Business Accounting 2006 for emailing invoices? Thanks! ...

Outlook starting problem
"Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. A dialog box is open. Close it and try again." ...

Running CHKDSK at start up
Is there a way to run chkdsk f/r on all five drives on one PC at start up? PC runs Windows XP Pro SP3. This way all drives would be checked and errors fixed, if necessary, in one go, at start up on this machine. We intend to do this on this heavily used PC from time to time - we do not need the desired chkdsk functionality to kick in at every boot! Regards and TIA. Avatar -------- "Avatar" <Avatar@re.birth> wrote in message news:hrb4n2$53i$1@news.eternal-september.org... > Is there a way to run chkdsk f/r on all five drives on one PC at start up? ...

Unable to Open Pub 2000 Verson 6 in Pub 2000
Hi Guys, Hope you can help. I have a CD with a load of Publisher files on from a colleague. I have tried to open them and get an error message saying that Publisher cannot open a file from another version. I have dowloaded all MS Publisher updates. I have read some threads in here and disabled appropriate Norton settings. I have looked in the file properties section of each file, and is says to open with Microsift Publisher Version 6. I understand (corect me if I'm wrong) that version 6 is Publisher 2000. My version has come off Office 2000 Professional. So I hope I have the right...

Problem Installing MSCRM 1.0
Good day, I have attempted to install MS CRM 1.0 several times, using the Organization name "Adventure Works Cycle", and each time it fails with the message: Failed to install Microsoft Customer Relationship Management Server. Failed to provision your initial business. Failed to create root business. Catastrophic failure (8000FFFF). After each attempted install, I remove all trace of the product following the instructions in Techknowledge article 30877. I am trying to install it on a Windows 2000 Server computer that is a member of my domain. The domain controller is running Wind...

Page Numbering (ie Page 1 of 3)
Does anyone know how to set up the above or if it's possible in Excel I know how to show "page 1" and "page 2", but I'd like to show how many pages total are in a document. Hi AZMichelle There is a option in the Page Setup (Headers Footers) <Page1 of ?> I don't know if this option is in all the Excel versions?? With a macro you can do this Sub test() On Error Resume Next With ActiveSheet.PageSetup .CenterFooter = "&8Page &8&P & of &N" End With End Sub -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL...

Deleting attachments from Outlook 2000 emails
How do you delete attachments from emails in your inbox or sent items box in Outlook 2000 in Windows XP? In earlier versions, and older windows systems,I used to be able to delete attachments by simply highlighting them and hitting delete, or dragging them to the recycle bin, but neither of those seems to work with attachments in Outlook 2000. Many thanks for your help - Best - Risa ...

Can't Start Any Program
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel It has been two weeks since I can open an Office Program. Please HEEELP! This is my word error report: Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0 Error Signature: Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS Date/Time: 2009-09-09 19:04:02 -0400 Application Name: Microsoft Word Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word Application Signature: MSWD Application Version: 12.2.0.090605 Crashed Module Name: CoreFoundation Crashed Module Version: unknown Crashed Module Offset: 0x00075354 Blame Module Name: CoreFoundation Blame Module Version: unk...

Multiple Attachments using command line swtches
I'm trying to figure out a way to launch a new e-mail message, with multiple file attachments, from the command line. I know how to do it with a single attachment, using the following method: outlook.exe /a c:\document.doc I've tried a number of permutations of this syntax to try to attach multiple files, such as using quotes, commas, semi-colons, but none of them seem to work. Any ideas? TIA - Dave You can't. You might want to use a compressing program first that generates a single .zip file out of all the attachments and attach that by the command line switch. -- Robe...

How do I add consecutive numbers but start over at a break in the.
add consecutive numbers but start over at a break in them. I'm trying to calculate consecutive days of attendance. ...

Starting a new paragraph within a cell
How do you create a line break within a cell? For example, if wanting to list 2 or more items it looks better if each one is printed under the other as a list. Or in a comment column when needing to start a new paragraph, again within the cell. Hi. You can press Alt + Enter to create a line break within a cell. Kath firman wrote: > How do you create a line break within a cell? For example, if wanting to list > 2 or more items it looks better if each one is printed under the other as a > list. Or in a comment column when needing to start a new paragraph, again > within th...