Starting MS Outlook on startup

How can I start Outlook on startup (XP) and keep it running in the back?

0
asadkhan2 (3)

All you need to do is move the Outlook program icon to the
startup group in XP.
0
anonymous (74718)
9/16/2004 2:21:56 PM

Settings\User\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Place an Outlook shortcut into this folder and it will
automatically startup when the machine boots.
0
anonymous (74718)
9/16/2004 2:29:46 PM
Both work, great! Thanks. But is there some way I can have it run on the
side like MSN Messenger's little icon as opposed to having it take space on
my taskbar?

Asad

"Neo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]

9/16/2004 5:40:09 PM
Asad Khan <asadkhan2@rogers.com> wrote:

> Both work, great! Thanks. But is there some way I can have it run on
> the side like MSN Messenger's little icon as opposed to having it
> take space on my taskbar?

From http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/usertips.htm :

To make Outlook 2002 go to the Windows system tray when you minimize it ...
Make a backup of the Windows registry, then go to this key:

  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Preferences

Add a new DWORD value named "MinToTray" and give it a value of 1.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
9/16/2004 6:37:17 PM
"Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<#n9#zwBnEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> Asad Khan <asadkhan2@rogers.com> wrote:
>
> > Both work, great! Thanks. But is there some way I can have it run on
> > the side like MSN Messenger's little icon as opposed to having it
> > take space on my taskbar?
>
> From http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/usertips.htm :
>
> To make Outlook 2002 go to the Windows system tray when you minimize it ...
> Make a backup of the Windows registry, then go to this key:
>
>   HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Preferences
>
> Add a new DWORD value named "MinToTray" and give it a value of 1.

I have a related question, and I hope you can help.

Is there a way to set a value in the registry to Close by Minimizing
to System Tray? Then you'd click on the context menu (right click) of
the Outlook system tray icon to select close (shutdown) for the
application. This is how ZoneAlarm works. Alternatively--and
simpler--is there a way to set Outlook's Calendar alarms to be always
available, such as you can set Palm Desktop to do? I just switched
from using Palm Desktop to Outlook, and keep closing  Outlook,
forgetting that the alarms (reminders) will not pop-up or play a sound
for me. Palm Desktop has a setting for Alarm Configuration -> Always
Available (even when the Palm Desktop software is closed.) It was a
small program that lived in the system tray. TIA :)
DS <drink_sangiovese@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to set a value in the registry to Close by Minimizing
> to System Tray?

I hope not, since minimizing and closing are two completely different
functions.  However, I don't believe it's possible to change the meaning of
the close button to be minimize.

> Alternatively--and
> simpler--is there a way to set Outlook's Calendar alarms to be always
> available, such as you can set Palm Desktop to do?

Unless an app is running, it cannot produce an alert.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
9/21/2004 12:57:59 PM
"Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<O6RKiq9nEHA.1152@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> DS <drink_sangiovese@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Is there a way to set a value in the registry to Close by Minimizing
> > to System Tray?
>
> I hope not, since minimizing and closing are two completely different
> functions.  However, I don't believe it's possible to change the meaning of
> the close button to be minimize.

How about simply adding an "Are you sure you want to Exit?" warning
box using VBA? I just ordered a copy of "Microsoft Outlook
Programming, Jumpstart for Administrators, Developers, and Power
Users" in hopes of finding the tools for programming some sort of
acceptable solution. Thanks for your post.

Starting up on start-up help!

Printing category colours in Outlook Calendar
Hi I use category colours in my calendar and until I upgraded to outlook 2007 was able to print out my daily and weekly calendars with all my different appointments and events in colour on my HP Photosmart 2575 printer. Now I've upgraded to Outlook 2007 the calendars don't print in colour, nor do they indicate whether an appointment is "Busy" time or free. It's not that the printer isn't getting the colours, nor is it that the categories have somehow been lost, because in the bottom right of each blank rectangle for the appointment is a little square ...

outlook screen resolution
I've managed to change the resolution of ,y outlook screen and don't know how to get it back. Everything is magnified rt now and I hate it. The resolution of the sys is set to 1024x768. What do I do? This is not an Outlook issue. Navigate to the display icon in control panel. Double-click that for display settings. The Settings tab is where screen resolution control usually resides. "HB" <HB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A36BAFF-F35F-4DDC-8B9C-0EA33C6B74CD@microsoft.com... > I've managed to change the resolution of ,y outlook screen and...

MS Great Plains
We have Great Plains (PersonnelOracle Version 2002.03.15 3.0.6. and PowerTool 2002.03.19. 3.1.1.) installed. Previously we have used Office 2000 and the Word merge was working perfectly. Upgrading to 2002 or 2003 the Word merge stopped working, I suppose we need new templates for Word 2003 (.dot files). Who shall we contact with? Any suggestion would be appreciated! Where do Oracle and PowerTool come into the equation? Are you trying to use Word with Microsoft Great Plains? How were you doing it with Word 2000? "Zoltan Bacs" <Zoltan Bacs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

how to import outlook express inbox files to outlook
I am changing over from using outlook express to outlook. I want to be able to access, in outlook, the files and folders from O EXP. Can anyone tell me how this can be done File > Import and Export > Internet Mail and Addresses... -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Br Nathan" <BrNathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CAEF90B0-255B-45A1-BA91-DA86A39F8C2E@microsoft.com... >I am changing over from using outlook express to outlook. I want to be able > to access, in outlook, the files and folders from O EXP. Can anyone tell > me > how this can...

MS POS associates and their rights
There should be a way to add an associate level for employees and define their rights, or allow for editing the rights of the existing associate levels. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/d...

Help with adding Background music to email using Outlook 2003
Can anybody tell me how to add background music to emails using Outlook 2003. I know you can do it in Outlook Express, but is there a way to do it in Outlook? Thanks please email me thanks staple502@yahoo.com Actually it might be good to post the answer here so that everybody can see.. thanks again. "nk" <staple502@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:c1deqv$3eb$1@terabinaries.xmission.com... > Can anybody tell me how to add background music to emails using Outlook > 2003. I know you can do it in Outlook Express, but is there a way to do it > in Outlook? Thanks ...

Need advice to start off a project
Hello! I have never really used Excel much but I have had an idea which could make some of the work I do a lot easier. I know Excel is powerful but I don't know the best way to approach it so can anyone out there help me? I make visits to places and record what kind of visit it was on a spreadsheet with the values in each cell being the date. At the bottom there is a summary box which shows, on each date, how many visits I made of each type. At the moment this is done manually but I am sure it can be done automatically only how? On a different sheet I would then like to have a summary of...

outlook express #148
Is it possible to recover deleted email messages in outlook express? Any help would be greatly appreciated. "Jeff McIsaac" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88ab01c3e9a9$c3507280$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to recover deleted email messages in > outlook express? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you've emptied the Trash folder, I would say impossible unless you have a backup. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97/98/2000/2002/2003 from the Office suite of products. Outlook Express is actually a separate program d...

Outlook "Insufficient system resources to complete the requested service" with attachments
Hi gurus In Outlook I am getting "Insufficient system resources to complete the requested service" with any attachments. Can send using the Send To in Word etc. NT4 SP6 Outlook 2000. Only Outlook running. Thanks to 1 n all Juliet x ...

Missing Attachments in Outlook 2007/Outlook 2010 Beta.
Hi, We are experiencing a missing attachment issue in Outlook 2007/Outlook 2010 beta from Outlook 2003. These attachments are in messages forwarded as attachments and received via our Exchange 2010 installation. The attachments *are* visible from Outlook WebApp. In Outlook 2007/2010 the message has no paperclip icon, yet the message is of the correct size. From my rather long investigation, it appears that these certain messages from Outlook 2003 include a Content-ID header, which is typically used for referencing embedded attachments, such as inline JPGs for HTML pages. ...

Cannot start Outlook 2002
My computer is usualy connected to an MS Exchange server at work. However I'd like to use Outlook at home with another e-mail account. When I try to start Outlook I get an error message : Cannot connect to exchange server. So I click work offline. Then, get another error message: Cannot start Outlook. Could not open information store. The the program quits. Anyone know a work around? Thanks. Create a new profile for your home account. Then set Outlook to prompt for profile. Select your home profile and Outlook will not try to connect to Exchange. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook...

Account Register in MS Money Essentials
Does anyone know how to sort cleared transactions in the Account register in MS Money Essential? It seems, by default, that MS money essentials sorts by Payee only!!! I'd rather sort transactions by date but I don't seem to be able to...any suggestions? Pull up the adjustments section and click date. It will sort it for you by date if you do this. "Chad" wrote: > Does anyone know how to sort cleared transactions in the Account register in > MS Money Essential? It seems, by default, that MS money essentials sorts by > Payee only!!! I'd rather sort tr...

Outlook Archive Feature
Outlook 2003 SP3 with patches up to date. I did a manual archiving of my Exchange 2003 mailbox with the following settings: * Select Inbox * Archive items older than 1/1/2008 * Check the box that says: Include items with "Do not AutoArchive" checked Items in my Inbox and sub-folders under Inbox are all dated January 1, 2007 to current date. There is nothing older than 2007. Archive ran for several minutes, then stopped. The final result is a 120MB PST file (this is the archive PST). So I went back to my Exchange mailbox to be sure that all 2007 items are gone (archived to PST...

Exchange Services Do not Start After a Restart #2
I have a SBS 2003 Running and for some reason some of my Exchange Service do not start after a restart. System Attendand tries to start shuts down unexpectedly. I can go to services right after logging in and start the services and they start with no problem. Right before the error that service did not start, I get this warning: "A service process other than the one launched by the Service Control Manager connected when starting the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service. The Service Control Manager launched process 2448 and process 3688 connected instead. Note that if this se...

Outlook Mapisp32
Can not delete messages or receive messages To fix log off Outlook go on line and delete all inbox messages i.e.. comcast.net or send all messages to another account delete messages in trash can, log off, then go to Outlook. ...

Macro or Lookup? Not sure where to start.
I have created two worksheets: 1) Auction Items Item# Table# Location# ItemDescription WinBid are the headers of the data. 2) Bidders Bidder# FirstName LastName I would like to be able to create a macro or something that will allow me to enter the item#, bidder# and winning bid price and have a sheet filled with. ie. Item# 2 (Handcrafted Table) Bidder# 12 (John Doe) Winning Bid $250 Can excel pull from two sheets and created another sheet with all the final details? I am a little new to excel (version 2000) it is the only tool/application available to us at this time. If anyone can poi...

How to see what Outlook is actually dialing?
Is there a way to see what numbers Outlook is actually dialing? I am trying to trouble shoot Outlook dialing my calling card (long distance within my area code). The dialing rules appear correct as far as I can tell, but I would like to see what Outlook is really dialing. I am using Outlook2000 on Win2000. Thank you. ...

Outlook starting problem
"Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. A dialog box is open. Close it and try again." ...

Credit Cards in MS Money 2004
I have setup a new credit card account in MS Money 2004, entered the balance, filled in all the interest rates etc, but the Next Payment Date box and the Payment Frequency are disabled. Now, I pay the minimum amount each month, but obviously x% of that is interest so only a small part goes to paying off the capital on that card. How the **** can i tell Money that my minimum payment comes out on xx day each month and have it work out what the interest portion of that payment is, and what the repayment portion is and have the latter deducted from the credit card balance? Been at it for four ho...

Outlook 2003 Problems with PF Usage and Error 0x80040119
Hello, I am looking for some assistance with a unusual problem with Outlook 2003 please. I am running Outlook 2003 on HP Media Centre with XP SP3. All fully updated and running normally. Antvirus is Eset. Until..... now when I launch Outlook the PF Usage in the Windows task manager goes up to 2.3Gb and beyond. Outlook is very slow to launch and the whole PC slows to a halt. Once Outlook is up and running (3-5 mins approx) I get two error messages - the first "There was a problem reading one or more of your reminders. Some reminders may not appear. The server is...

Outlook not converting file
I am using Outlook 2007. For one source it is not converting input correctly to HTML. I have no problem with other source such as PCH, Career Builder which convert the incoming file to pictures as I expect them to. For MY POINTs (most of the time I get the following format. Which I must forward to OUtlook express so I can access the link to get my points. How can I fix this? To ensure your MyPoi�nts� email is delivered to your inbox, be sure to add BonusMailReply@MyPoints.com to your email address book or contact list. MyPoints�<http://www.mypoints.com/z/er/bonusMail082007/MyP...

Running CHKDSK at start up
Is there a way to run chkdsk f/r on all five drives on one PC at start up? PC runs Windows XP Pro SP3. This way all drives would be checked and errors fixed, if necessary, in one go, at start up on this machine. We intend to do this on this heavily used PC from time to time - we do not need the desired chkdsk functionality to kick in at every boot! Regards and TIA. Avatar -------- "Avatar" <Avatar@re.birth> wrote in message news:hrb4n2$53i$1@news.eternal-september.org... > Is there a way to run chkdsk f/r on all five drives on one PC at start up? ...

How do I add consecutive numbers but start over at a break in the.
add consecutive numbers but start over at a break in them. I'm trying to calculate consecutive days of attendance. ...

Starting a new paragraph within a cell
How do you create a line break within a cell? For example, if wanting to list 2 or more items it looks better if each one is printed under the other as a list. Or in a comment column when needing to start a new paragraph, again within the cell. Hi. You can press Alt + Enter to create a line break within a cell. Kath firman wrote: > How do you create a line break within a cell? For example, if wanting to list > 2 or more items it looks better if each one is printed under the other as a > list. Or in a comment column when needing to start a new paragraph, again > within th...