Splitting Outlook 2000 Archive

I have been archiving my emails over the past two years
into one pst file and it's approaching 1.7gb. Is there a
way to split an Outlook archive (.pst) file once its been
created? I understand that once the file gets over 1.7gb
in size there's a risk of it getting corrupt. I reference
my archived emails constantly and would like to be able
to continue to do so but at the risk of loosing data if
possible I could pull out the first years data.

Any and all is appreciated.

TIA
Joe

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:44:07 -0700, "JOe Gieder" <joe.gieder@lmco.com>
wrote:

>I have been archiving my emails over the past two years
>into one pst file and it's approaching 1.7gb. Is there a
>way to split an Outlook archive (.pst) file once its been
>created? I understand that once the file gets over 1.7gb
>in size there's a risk of it getting corrupt. I reference
>my archived emails constantly and would like to be able
>to continue to do so but at the risk of loosing data if
>possible I could pull out the first years data.
>
>Any and all is appreciated.
>
>TIA
>Joe

assuming you're using OL2000, you could export certain messages to a
file, create a new archive pst file and import the exported messages
into a new file.  for example, you could export all messages in your
current archive file for calendar 2003.  then create a new acrhive
file and then import those 2003 messages into the new archive folder.

HTH

rich
0
me3738 (54)
4/27/2004 10:22:19 PM
Open the Archive, in OL then simply use Archive function to create a new
archive by eg year

"JOe Gieder" <joe.gieder@lmco.com> wrote in message
> I have been archiving my emails over the past two years
> into one pst file and it's approaching 1.7gb. Is there a
> way to split an Outlook archive (.pst) file once its been
> created? I understand that once the file gets over 1.7gb
> in size there's a risk of it getting corrupt. I reference
> my archived emails constantly and would like to be able
> to continue to do so but at the risk of loosing data if
> possible I could pull out the first years data.
>
> Any and all is appreciated.
>
> TIA
> Joe

0
dl1 (180)
4/27/2004 10:35:33 PM
You could use OutlookExtract  www.outlookextract.com to backup your messages
to disk or cd as single *.msg files. Once extracted you can use the provided
viewer (emailexplorer.exe) to organize, view and search the emails.
You also have the choice of storing the messages as *.eml, *.htm, *.txt or
Adobe pdf files.

--
Jaime Ponce de Leon, OutlookExtract

"JOe Gieder" <joe.gieder@lmco.com> wrote in message
> I have been archiving my emails over the past two years
> into one pst file and it's approaching 1.7gb. Is there a
> way to split an Outlook archive (.pst) file once its been
> created? I understand that once the file gets over 1.7gb
> in size there's a risk of it getting corrupt. I reference
> my archived emails constantly and would like to be able
> to continue to do so but at the risk of loosing data if
> possible I could pull out the first years data.
>
> Any and all is appreciated.
>
> TIA
> Joe

0
Jaime
4/28/2004 4:10:07 AM
JOe Gieder <joe.gieder@lmco.com> wrote:

> I have been archiving my emails over the past two years
> into one pst file and it's approaching 1.7gb. Is there a
> way to split an Outlook archive (.pst) file once its been
> created? I understand that once the file gets over 1.7gb
> in size there's a risk of it getting corrupt. I reference
> my archived emails constantly and would like to be able
> to continue to do so but at the risk of loosing data if
> possible I could pull out the first years data.

Open the archive PST, open a new PST and drag some of the messages from one
to the other.
--
Brian Tillman

0
Tillmabg (988)

Multiple outlook.exe's running in the processes tab of the Task Manager
I've noticed a regular occurrence when shutting my machine down for the night. I'm a long time user of windows so I still shut down all my applications before I shut down the operating system. Call me old but I believe it keeps the system clean. But I've noticed a problem. OS: XP Professional Mail App: Outlook 2002 After shutting down all applications, I attempt to shut down the machine and I get a window indicating OUTLOOK.EXE is still running and it asks me to shut it down, so I do...Then the same window pops up again, so I end the process again. Well, what I have noti...

Split tasks a splitting headache
Inherited another Project IMS. I am noticing right off that the previous scheduler has been starting tasks without their FS preds completing. Yeah, it does show up as a spit bar in the gantt chart. But, does anyone know a way to filter out just task that started before predecessor completion? I'm dealing with several thousand lines. Thanks. -- trailerpup ------------------------------------------------------------------------ trailerpup's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/116596.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1290853.htm ...

"Customizing Outlook Today"
Greetings - Since we installed Exchange 2000, I have noticed that my Outlook 2000 users can no longer modify the "Outlook Today" Page. When clicking on the CUSTOMIZE OUTLOOK TODAY button, it doesn't do anything. Is there a lock in Exchange preventing my users from this feature on their client installs of Outlook 2000? Thanks for your input... Scott See the following KB article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 ***Please post all replies to the newsgroups***...

Relationship Betwee Exchange Mailbox SCL Setting and Outlook Spam Setting
At one of my clients I have set the Exchange Server SCL threshold at 8 and the mailbox threshold at 7 for the Intelligent Message Filter I have set the Junk Mail setting in the users' Outlook 2003 to 'low'. I have updated the Exchange Server and Outlook Intelligent Message Filters. My question is how does the mailbox threshold of 7 in Exchange interact/relate to a user's Outlook 2003 Junk Mail Setting of 'low' or 'medium'? I have never seen this described. Thank you in advance. -- Regards, Allan C Outlook (2003) Junk Mail feature does not interact wit...

importing dbx files from cd back to outlook express
I had my outlook express mail backed up on a cd rom on my old laptop. how do i restore my mail (.dbx files) from the cd, back into outlook express on my new laptop? i've been trying to use the import feature on OE but i keep getting error messages, ie, "not a win32 application", or when i browse the path, it says, "no mesages can be foudn in this folder, or another application running has the required file sopen", even though i have no other applications open? any suggestions? See insideoe.tomsterdam.com for instructions. You'll also need to verify the fi...

How to randomly split a whole dataset into two sub-dataset?
Hi, At your possible convenience, might anyone please kindly answer my question? Thank you very much. How to "RANDOMLY" split the whole data set (n=2000) into two sub dataset (n=1000; n=1000) in SPSS or Excel? Thank you very much. Please take care Caroline zencaroline <zencaroline@gmail.com> writes: > How to "RANDOMLY" split the whole data set (n=2000) into two sub > dataset (n=1000; n=1000) in SPSS or Excel? Create a new variable whose value is randomly distributed. Sort the data on this variable. Take the first 1000 cases ...

Outlook doesn't give option to add Exchange service
One of our users had a laptop meltdown, and is setting up the new drive on WinXP Pro. When he finished installing Office 2000 with all patches and tried to open Outlook 2000 he must have tried setting it up while logged in as the administrator then realized he needed to be logged in as himself, so logged off and on again. Anyway, now he no longer has Services listed under Tools, and can't set up Microsoft Exchange service as his email service. Even when he opens Mail in Control Panel, it goes straight into the options for adding Internet email, rather than the list of Services, D...

Display Data On Split Form
Not sure how to ask this but here goes. In AC 2007 I have a split form that I want to display a value that will show regardless of the row I select in the datasheet. This is the number of vacation days one will have through-out the year and of course it changes as vacations days get used up. Any help will be appreciated, James "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message news:6A4DFFD9-3302-4A10-B51A-153373D266FD@microsoft.com... > Not sure how to ask this but here goes. > In AC 2007 I have a split form that I want to display a value > that will show regardl...

Cannot send email in Outlook 2007
Messages are received but cannot send - they stay in Outbox. Have checked all the account setup information and all appears to be ok - did the test and it connects to the incoming server but not the outgoing server - using Starband as my email address but am not using Starband as my current ISP - my virus software is AVG and it is not scanning outgoing email - I have sent an email to Starband support advising them of my current IP address in case it is a Starband problem, but since I receive email that doesn't seem to make too much sense - any suggestions would be appreciat...

Outlook Balloon notifications
I have a large number of users who continually get a pop-up balloon from their sys tray indicating that "Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the exchange server" This is a predominately Cisco infrastructure with Gigabit throuout the datacenter and 100Mbs at the LAN. All PC's are XP Pro SP3 and current on updates. Exchange server passes BPA and we have created a new mailbox server to offload some of the larger mailboxes. I am looking for direction on both diagnosis as well as guidelines on if this activity is expected and at what level. My users are frustrate...

My News Button vanished in Outlook 2003
My old computer burned up and I am setting up a new one with WinXPsr2 and Office 2003 --OUTLOOK 2003 When I went to add the "NEWS" button to the "GO" Menu list--my finger slipped and the "NEWS" button disappeared! I normally use OUTLOOK to start the newsreader and have been happy with doing it that way. I usually go the Toolbar/Menu > Add or Remove Buttons > Customize > GO > and then drag the "NEWS" button over to the GO on the main toolbar/menu (whatever it is.). How can I resurect the "NEWS" button? I tried the detect an...

Can not import message from Outlook Express 6 to Outlook
Hi there Can anyone provide the help to me. I want to transfer my Outlook Express 6 (on old PC/Win98SE) mail to Outlook 2002 (on new PC/WinXP). I followed the procedure which was provided by Microsoft as below. http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/assistance/HA010943871033.aspx However finally I got the following message: "The mail folder could not be opened. If another application is using this file, please close it and try again." It really drive me crazy! Kiwi@Sydney <Kiwi@Sydney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Can anyone provide the help to me. > I...

Importing pst file from Outlook 2003 (XP Machine) to Outlook 2007 (Vista Machine)
I am trying to import a pst file that I exported from Outlook 2003 on my Win XP hard drive into Outlook 2007 on my Vista Hard drive before I format the XP drive. I keep getting the error message ' File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file.....' I have also tried using Outlook 2003 backup tool from MS website however when I import into Outlook 2007, I am unable to open all the mail folders. Any ideas as to ways around this? Outish wrote: > I am trying to import a pst file that I exported from Outlook 2003 on my > Win XP hard drive...

how to change theme in outlook 2007
I run outlook 2007 over a remote desktop session that uses 256 color for maximum speed. How do I change the color scheme of outlook 2007 to turn off those blue colored gradient strips, to a boring pure color (since the gradient renders poorly in 256 colors). All I could find under editor options was a choice of blue/silver/black, which didn't change it. AFAIK, you can't change it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists...

Outlook probs when Shutting Down/Restarting
Windows XP Home users. Hope someone can help. About 90% of the time I restart or shut down, I get a message that says "outlook not responding" even though I've already closed outlook. if I don't hit "cancel" the machine never shuts down. if i do hit "cancel" it shuts down fine. Any reason I am getting this message and any news how to fix? I am totally up to date on windows updates. Quote by "neo [mvp outlook]": Look for programs that keep Outlook resident in memory and prohibit from shutting down. Here are some things I am aware o...

outlook closes when databinding.....why?
When I open Outlook 12, I see "databinding" at the bottom, and then Outlook just closes. How do I fix thix? "RobG" <RobG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:825D8B32-4257-40C0-B264-0FAC36606628@microsoft.com... > When I open Outlook 12, I see "databinding" at the bottom, and then Outlook > just closes. How do I fix thix? What happens if you start Outlook in safe mode? Hold Ctrl when starting Outlook. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...

Unwanted replicated split screen
I know I could re-install excell but before I do, is there anyone here who can help me disable a setting that I have no idea how it came about. I can only describe it as 2 identical execl grids on the same worksheet. Accompanying image will show you. Help. Thanks. +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: excel_display_duplication.GIF | |Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=3855 | +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ -- BoyLeroy -----------------------------------...

Can't find my Front End Folder after database split
I just split my database base to allow for ease of use for multiple users. Ererything, it seemed, went smoothly until i try to find the fron-end folder. It is nowhere to be found. Should it be label ****_fe.mbd like the back end? Please help. Thaanks. It will be called that, unless you typed something else in the save as dialog. I thought it ended up in the same folder as the backend after splitting. Easiest way is to go back to the original and split it again, this time take note of where you save it before you press the button. Jeanette Cunningham "Joe" <Joe@discussi...

Outlook 2003 Stand Alone
I have Office XP Professional. I want to upgrade my Outlook only. Does any one know if Outlook 2003 can be purchased as a stand alone and have it come with the "Business Contact Manager". I have been into all the local computer stores and the personal there just don't know. Please help with this info. Thanks much. SteveR7138@msn.com Checked out Microsoft's pages for Outlook 2003. As far as Business Contact Manager is concerned: How to Buy Business Contact Manager is included in Office Small Business Edition 2003 and Office Professional Edition 2003. Looks like you&#...

Outlook will not open #4
Outlook was running fine until I performed a disk defrag. Now, Outlook will not open. Apparently, the mapping became jumbled with the defrag. How do I re- establish the connection? Detect and repair? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Vern asked: | Outlook was running fine until I performed a disk | defrag. Now, Outlook will not open. Apparently, t...

Where are internet headers in outlook 2010
In Outlook 2010 where did the Internet Header go? Message Options? In 2007 you could right click on any message in your inbox and see the Internet headers. IP address message info ect.... Thanks Nevermind. I found it. You have to actually open up the email, then go to "View" then Message options. It is only a menu item now. Hope this helps someone using Outlook 2010 "Brian" wrote: > In Outlook 2010 where did the Internet Header go? Message Options? > > In 2007 you could right click on any message in your inbox and see the > Intern...

Outlook 2000 Customize Outlook Today button does not work
Does anyone know why the Customize Outlook Today button does not work and what steps I need to take to get make it work. This is a new hard drive with Win 2000, Office 2000, and Outlook 2000. I have not done anything to corrupt it that I am aware of. When I push the button, nothing happens. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks "John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:042801c3ddf5$80deb1b0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know why the Customize Outlook Today button > does not work and what steps I need to take to get make i...

outlook 97 vs outlook 2000
WAS LOOKING FOR A DOCUMENT OUTLOINING THE MAIN DIFFERENCES BETWEEN OUT '97 & 2K...ANY HELP APPRECIATED GREATLY freddy <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > WAS LOOKING FOR A DOCUMENT OUTLOINING THE MAIN DIFFERENCES > BETWEEN OUT '97 & 2K...ANY HELP APPRECIATED GREATLY First, DON'T SHOUT! Use normal case when you post. Read the following information: http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/compare.mspx . You might also check out http://www.microsoft.com/office/previous/xp/default.asp -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave....

Publisher 2000 #33
I have publisher 2000, can I upgrade to the latest publisher program? didge What version of Windows are you using? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "didge" <didge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:70BAA685-7C19-4EA9-A2A7-0BDE96CEFB2F@microsoft.com... >I have publisher 2000, can I upgrade to the latest publisher program? > didge Windows XP "JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote: > What version of Windows are you using? > > -- > > JoAnn Paules > MVP Microsoft [Publisher] > > > > "didge" ...

Outlook Bombing out network...
Got a new Dell Demension 4600C for Christmas. Copied old Outlook files from the old computer, and just overrode the local setting>application data>microsoft>outlook file. Worked like a charm. All my folders and emails were in there after a reboot. Later, I installed a hub to have a computer online for my wife to use. Internet access worked fine, but when she launched outlook on her machine, all heck broke loose. Screwed the connection, etc. Restart modem, hub, computers, and we're back on line. What can I do to get both computers working and both running outlook? Thank...