SMTP server #2

I have a basic question on SMTP emails.

If I point to a SMTP server that is different than my
designated email host address, who actually sends out the
emails,  my designated email server or the one I pointed
to?

To help clarify  we have our email and web hosted by a
3rd party Company "A",  and my ISP is with Company "B",
I have been having problems with duplicate emails being
sent to several clients.  So I pointed my outbout emails
to a different SMTP server (Company B's smtp server) in
an attempt to see if the problem goes away.  So I am
check to see if my troubleshooting logic is correct.   By
redirecting my SMTP outbound email to a different server,
is my hosts email server removed from the loop?   And
hopefully removing the problem of duplicate emails.

Thanks in advance.
Brian M
0
anonymous (74719)

The mail is sent via whatever server you 'tell' Outlook to use. It doesn't
know about any others

"Brian M" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a basic question on SMTP emails.
>
> If I point to a SMTP server that is different than my
> designated email host address, who actually sends out the
> emails,  my designated email server or the one I pointed
> to?
>
> To help clarify  we have our email and web hosted by a
> 3rd party Company "A",  and my ISP is with Company "B",
> I have been having problems with duplicate emails being
> sent to several clients.  So I pointed my outbout emails
> to a different SMTP server (Company B's smtp server) in
> an attempt to see if the problem goes away.  So I am
> check to see if my troubleshooting logic is correct.   By
> redirecting my SMTP outbound email to a different server,
> is my hosts email server removed from the loop?   And
> hopefully removing the problem of duplicate emails.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Brian M

0
vince8328 (2732)
10/20/2003 6:01:15 PM
So, I am correct in my thinking that the domains email
server (my email hosting company) is no in the processing
loop of my outgoing email.  Hopefully the problem of
multiple copies of emails being sent to our clients will
stop.

Thanks,  Brian

0
anonymous (74719)

Continual Cannot Connect to Server errors
Outlook 2000 works fine for anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours, then suddenly stops connecting to the server. Closing and reopening Outlook solves the problem. I've done KB820672 and the problem isn't with the server - this actually happens with two different servers/mail accounts. Both accounts work perfectly in OE6.0 (which I also use and have open at the same time, although I don't have the same account on both). I have all the critical updates for Office, WinME, IE, etc. Thanks, ...

SMTP restrictions #2
A few questions: If I configure the "Limit Message Size(KB)" does this pertain to the attachments as well? Also, does it affect both inbound and outbound? If the "Limit Message Size" is exceeded by the attachment does the attachment get stripped and the message (body) go through? If nothing goes through, does the sender recieve an error? Sorry so many questions. Thanks! Message size is the sum of the headers, body and the attachment. There is no setting specifically for the attachment size. When there is a violation, the entire message is bounced back to the send...

[2003] stops before data section in smtp conversation
Hello, I have an exchange 2003 server with ISA 2004 and the server doesn't send email correct to a remote smtp server. After the helo,mail from, rcpt to section he doesn't send the data section. The server is able to receive email. Does somebody have any clue why I'm unable to send? Thanks in advance Maurice Lucas This link maybe can help you http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/clustering/default.mspx "M.S. Lucas" <MSLucas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:40C7EB2B-DDF9-4E60-8F69-8AB82C298874@microsoft.com... > Hello, >...

Windows update has failed in exchange 2003 Front-end server
Hello, I have been trying windows updates on exchange server but has failed with error message below: Updates were unable to be successfully installed The following update wre not installed: Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB917734) Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB914389) Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB917344) Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB918439) Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB911280) Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows Server 2003 (KB916281) Do you guy how to resolve those problems? Thank you There s...

OWA & RPC over HTTP with ISA Server 2004.
Hi, I tried posting this in ISA Publishing but didn't get any responses, so sorry for the double post but I'm getting kind of desperate on this now. We have ISA server 2004 sitting in our perimiter network, we have a front and back end exchange 2003 SP1 setup withing our corporate domain. I have OWA published and working throught the ISA server and currently we are trying to publish the RPC over HTTP ruleset. Is there a recommended way of doing this? I have searched both MS Knowledge base and google and either I can't get my search terminology just right or there isn't ...

How to move my server
I have RMS 2.0 and SQL server 2005. I have my server installed on my register1. I don't think that my register computer has enough juice to host my server and my database. I have been getting 100% cpu usage while running the programs etc. I have also had a lot of time out errors from my printer. I would like to turn a different computer into the server and am hoping that someone could help me through that process. I am a novice, so please keep it very simple. I am not very familiar with sql server and have no idea what to do with it except to make sure that it is running if my conne...

Lineage 2 interlude
�� request, ������, ���� ������������. ��������� ����. �� ����. Είστε ευπρόσδεκτοϊ -- Bob Larson Access World Forums Super Moderator Utter Access VIP Tutorials at http://www.btabdevelopment.com If my post was helpful to you, please rate the post. __________________________________ "Βαγγέλης" wrote: > Το request, τελικά, είχε αποτελέσματα. Ευχαριστώ πολύ. > Τα λέμε. > > ...

Exchange Server 5.5 SMTP Issue
Hi, For those interested, you may want to read the White Paper we recently released about the Microsoft Exchange Server SMTP problem: http://www.thinkcomputer.com/corporate/news/spamserver.pdf Thanks to Michael Barta at Microsoft for his help. If you think there's anything in the paper that could be improved or made clearer, please feel free to let us know. I'm interested to know how many people this problem is affecting... There seem to be a ton of threads on this newsgroup about it. Aaron Aaron Greenspan President & CEO Think Computer Corporation http://www.thinkcomputer....

Trying to find a rack-mount file server image
I am looking for an image of a file server, like the one below. http://www.imagedash.com/uploads/atd1243629320i.JPG However, instead of that cylinder, database, icon. I need a folder icon. It is a common image, but I can not seem to find it anywhere. "walterbyrd" <walterbyrd@iname.com> wrote in message news:4f4f9774-b07e-4418-a826-1d6d3b473775@q16g2000yqg.googlegroups.com... >I am looking for an image of a file server, like the one below. > > http://www.imagedash.com/uploads/atd1243629320i.JPG > > However, instead of that cylinder, database, icon. I need a f...

OUTLOOK 2003 with or without exchange server
I recently have begun upgrading a small office from Outlook 97 with Exchange Server 5.5 to Outlook 2003. I have some questions about this. In this office everyone needs to be able to access everyone elses calendars (6 in all) . With outlook 97, you were unable to do so without using exchange server. Now, with Outlook 2003, will they be able to access each others calendar without using any exchange server? If they need exchange server, will they be able to remain with exchange server 5.5 or will they need to upgrade to Exchange Server 2003? Any help would be greatly appreciated. &g...

MSExchangeSA 9175 error on front end Exchange 2003 server
I have a front end Exchange 2003 server that is receiving the following error message in the application log every minute: The MAPI call 'OpenMsgStore' failed with the following error: The Microsoft Exchange Server computer is not available. Either there are network problems or the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is down for maintenance. The MAPI provider failed. ------ I've looked at quite a few KB articles and the below one briefly touches on what my problem may be. http://support.microsoft.com/?id=262456 The Mailox Store and Public Folder Store are not mounted on the Fr...

SMTP account SMTP (EXCHANGE-{0A2AF96F-ADE3-4348-98AC.......
Inside the mailboxes folder of Exchange server, there is user called: SMTP (EXCHANGE-{0A2AF96F-ADE3-4348-98AC-5DD3568592C0}) I dont know what this is? Is this a system mailbox? If not, how did it get there and how can I get rid of it? The reason I ask is that , every few minutes, there is virus being sent to this mailbox, apparently from the "administrator". Very strange. any help will be appreciated. thanks, john I found the answer here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;252341 "john Smith" <smith@fakedomain.com> wrote in message new...

AD server after dcpromo /forceremoval problem
Hi, I demoted an AD server by using the dcpromo /forceremoval command. Then I tried to add this server to the domain as a member server, but it said the user already existed. I checked the AD Server DNS, and found it still have the A Record for the demoted server. How do I fix this problem? Thanks for help. Jason Hello Jason, As said in one of my previous postings, use: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555846/en-us to cleanup AD database, DNS, AD sites and services etc. dcpromo /forceremoval is the last option to remove a DC which will NOT cleanup the domain fro...

connecting to server
This are the error messages I get when trying to connect. Please help. Task 'Checking for new mail in subscribed folders on imap@aol.com.' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook is unable to download folder (null) from the IMAP e-mail server for account imap@aol.com. Error: Unable to connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).' Task 'imap@aol.com - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0D) : 'Unable to find the e-mail server. Please verify the server information in your ac...

customise timeline
Hi there, I need to set up a customised timeline with a "day 0" - it's to do a month end timetable for an accounting function. Day 0 would be the last day of the month and is the reference point day -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3 4 etc Do you know how I can set this up? At the moment it goes from day 1 to day -1 and I need a day 0 in between. Thanks Thanks, Hi robbo, Are you trying to customize the Gantt chart timeline? If so, I'm sorry, the answer is no. I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along. Julie Project MVP Visit http://project.mv...

The page cannot be found #2
Exchange 2003, OWA 2003 &Outlook 2003. Outside company premise, when using OWA to read mails, some mails cannot be displayed. It shows "The page cannot be found". When read mails in company premise (LAN connectivity) using either OWA or Outlook, it has no problem. What goes wrong???? We have a customer with the exact same problem. Certain messages can not be displayed in OWA from outside, while those same messages can be read from inside using Outlook or OWA. Dean "Emyeu" wrote: > Exchange 2003, OWA 2003 &Outlook 2003. > Outside company premise, when...

Microsoft 1.2 to 3.0 Migration... SOS!
Hi All, We're attempting to migrate a test enviroment, currently running Windows 2003 Enterprise Server and Microsoft CRM 1.2. During the upgrade advisor I get a warning message stating the following: Microsoft CRM Database ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Warning: The Indexes on the Microsoft CRM database are not consistent with Microsoft CRM 1.2 indexes ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- We've never did any customizations on the Microsoft CRM databases therefore all ...

Outlook automatically closes after 2 minutes
About 2 minutes after starting Outlook 2000 running on Windows 2000, it closes automatically. I see nothing in the Event Viewer log files and I don't see any malicious processes running in Task Manager when it happens. I've scanned for viruses with the latest data file and found no viruses. I've also ran in Safe Mode and the same problem still occurs. The only error in the log files is a sproradic userenv error Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. Return value (1722). All other apps seem to be fine. It doesn't seem tied to Outlook timed events, such a...

offsite server connection
why are outlook clients in the local site connecting to an offsite exchange server for public folders access? this is what I find when I check the connection log from the local outlokk client all outlook clients are all office 2007sp2, servers are all 2007sp2 public folders are not replicated between servers is there something I can do to make sure all local outlook clients are all connecting to the onsite XC server? thnx That can happen if: - The local site doesn't have a public folder server - Active Directory sites are misconfigured and Exchange is not in ...

Exchange 2003 SMTP lockdown #2
How do I secure smtp to only let authenticated users send e-mails for internal users and users that connect using pop3. Thanks Amador I am also having this problem. I must have not configured something somewhere. But to explain further....... If i use my home pc to connect to our mail server and send a mail from say fred@company.com to Paul@company.com it will get sent. This means that if someone gets hold of a few of our company addresses, they can send mails to them. Our server needs auth if you are sending from fred@company.com to paul@hotmail.com so thats ok. Any help please Paul &...

Admin.exe hangs during reboot on Windows 2000 server
Help! We have Exchange 5.5 running in a NT domain - on a Windows 2000 server. The server is patched with all the MS patches - except the "sp4 rollup 1", When we go to restart the server - it seems to hang - there are no entries in the event log - only the visual of the " admin.exe" program failing to shutdown. We click the "end program" and it still hangs. We had stopped any non-essential services prior to the restart. Had to hit the off button to shut it down. Any thoughts or suggestions? Please advise. Thank you. Citigate Cunningham Helpdes...

Page 1 Flashing; But Page 2 is OK
Someone just sent be a two-page-legal size brochure in Publiser 2003. I too use Publisher 2003. As I open it Page 1 begins FLASHING!! (refreshing) every 1/2 second.... when I click on tab 2 - it is OK, still as should be./// I tried clicking several things to stop the randon screen-updating (craziness) but no joy. What possibly could be happening and what can I do to fix? TIA, JMMay What happens if you select view, pictures, no or fast resize and zoom? How to troubleshoot video issues in Office programs http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907349/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.m...

Exchange Backup Server..Help!!!
Hi All My Exchange Server Setup is as follows I Have my Exchange 2003 server installed in Windows 2003 Domain Controller Both The Exchange 2003 and Windows 2003 Domain Controller are in the same machine Now I need a Backup system when this machine fails Can Anyone tell me a solution apart from clustring Can I install a secondary domain controller for the primary and then install Exchange Server on the secondary domain controller Will I be able to sycronise my Primary Mail Storage group to the new created exchange server and kept it offline and make it online when the primary is dow...

Support Debugging Tool #2
Is the Support Debugging tool available for GP9. I have a customer having a random issue with GP and a third party product. I had read somewhere that you can set this tool up to capture when something is not happening - a way to capture these random things. how easy is this tool? We do have a development team - so if i need that level of skill i have that available to me. Andrea, Support Debugging Tool is available for versions 8, 9, and 10. The issue you are describing is the perfect scenario where you would use SDT. SDT is relatively simple to use and even if you have the need for ...

"Show Placeholders" in options/view menu does'nt work. #2
I have a macro that places a large number of pictures on a spreadsheet. I would like the pictures to show as "placeholders" to speed up viewing/editing. The only problem is that this feature (under Tools/Options/View) does not work. All the images are being display normally. I have tried this in Excel 2000/2003/XP with the same result. This feature works great in MS Word. Please help. To see what I'm talking about. Go to Tools/Options/View and check the "Show Placeholders" option. Now insert a picture or clipart. The image will be displayed normally instead of just a b...