SMTP mail send problem

I'm running Windows/Outlook XP with mail routed through POP3/SMTP university servers.  Abruptly, I am no longer able to send mail, though receiving works fine.  I get an error message saying that Outlook couldn't connect with the outgoing server.  No account settings have changed (I've checked) and I can still telnet to the SMTP server (but not through port 25)and send mail through a web-based university system.  I do not have any Norton software on my computer, though I"m unsure about other potential firewalls.  I am connecting to the internet through a cable modem which worked fine in the past.

The only change I can think of is that I recently signed up for an account and installed .NET software (MSN Messenger, .NET Framework) with my university address as my .NET login.  I have since uninstalled the software and cancelled my .NET account which hasn't helped.

Any help as to what could be blocking Outlook's access to the server or port would be greatly appreciated.

0
clong (1)

Do other people have the same issue? Contact the administrator to verify
that posrt 25 isn't blocked on the server.

--
Roady
www.sparnaaij.net

Question of the week:
How To Manage General Information For Multiple Contacts
www.sparnaaij.net

-----
"Corey" <clong@itsa.ucsf.edu> wrote in message
> I'm running Windows/Outlook XP with mail routed through POP3/SMTP
university servers.  Abruptly, I am no longer able to send mail, though
receiving works fine.  I get an error message saying that Outlook couldn't
connect with the outgoing server.  No account settings have changed (I've
checked) and I can still telnet to the SMTP server (but not through port
25)and send mail through a web-based university system.  I do not have any
Norton software on my computer, though I"m unsure about other potential
firewalls.  I am connecting to the internet through a cable modem which
worked fine in the past.

> The only change I can think of is that I recently signed up for an account
and installed .NET software (MSN Messenger, .NET Framework) with my
university address as my .NET login.  I have since uninstalled the software
and cancelled my .NET account which hasn't helped.

> Any help as to what could be blocking Outlook's access to the server or
port would be greatly appreciated.

Login problem w/ upgrade Access version
Hello, I have an Access database created in 97 and have been working wonderfully in a shared network drive. The database is fully secured with users login, etc. Last week the System Admins upgraded MS Offices on the users PC from 97 to 2000. So now when users login, they couldn't open the database. It kept an error about not able to convert the database. What can I do to fix this problem? Thanks for any suggestion. ...

vista mail
Randomly when I send my email, the screen goes white and the email is lost. Not sent or in the sent file. It is random. Frustrating since the email must be retyped. Any help? Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Active State VisualXSLT for .NET http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/1f0ed9ab-7a35-4be0-926e-12a17abee0d3/active-state-visualxslt-f.aspx Another leech post from egghead -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. <wendy balezantis> wro...

SMTP restrictions #2
A few questions: If I configure the "Limit Message Size(KB)" does this pertain to the attachments as well? Also, does it affect both inbound and outbound? If the "Limit Message Size" is exceeded by the attachment does the attachment get stripped and the message (body) go through? If nothing goes through, does the sender recieve an error? Sorry so many questions. Thanks! Message size is the sum of the headers, body and the attachment. There is no setting specifically for the attachment size. When there is a violation, the entire message is bounced back to the send...

[2003] stops before data section in smtp conversation
Hello, I have an exchange 2003 server with ISA 2004 and the server doesn't send email correct to a remote smtp server. After the helo,mail from, rcpt to section he doesn't send the data section. The server is able to receive email. Does somebody have any clue why I'm unable to send? Thanks in advance Maurice Lucas This link maybe can help you http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/clustering/default.mspx "M.S. Lucas" <MSLucas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:40C7EB2B-DDF9-4E60-8F69-8AB82C298874@microsoft.com... > Hello, >...

setting up e-mail
I am trying to setup my email account through outlook, and i am having a very hard time. I am using my screen name from a friends aol account. I connect on line using verizon dsl. please help me setup my own e-mail using outlook ...

Exchange Server 5.5 SMTP Issue
Hi, For those interested, you may want to read the White Paper we recently released about the Microsoft Exchange Server SMTP problem: http://www.thinkcomputer.com/corporate/news/spamserver.pdf Thanks to Michael Barta at Microsoft for his help. If you think there's anything in the paper that could be improved or made clearer, please feel free to let us know. I'm interested to know how many people this problem is affecting... There seem to be a ton of threads on this newsgroup about it. Aaron Aaron Greenspan President & CEO Think Computer Corporation http://www.thinkcomputer....

Money 2004 or 2005 (Stock option wizard problem...)
Hey all, I am wondering if anyone has seen or knows of a solution to the following problem: I have two grants of stock options from my company. I set up a new investment account and use choose employee stock option and follow the wizard to set up the details of the first grant. Everything is ok and I then see the grant-vest-expiration entries in the account. I then use the new transaction button the add the second grant and go through the wizard for employee stock options again and at the end I receive the following message: "Money failed to create the employee stock option Grant tra...

SMTP account SMTP (EXCHANGE-{0A2AF96F-ADE3-4348-98AC.......
Inside the mailboxes folder of Exchange server, there is user called: SMTP (EXCHANGE-{0A2AF96F-ADE3-4348-98AC-5DD3568592C0}) I dont know what this is? Is this a system mailbox? If not, how did it get there and how can I get rid of it? The reason I ask is that , every few minutes, there is virus being sent to this mailbox, apparently from the "administrator". Very strange. any help will be appreciated. thanks, john I found the answer here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;252341 "john Smith" <smith@fakedomain.com> wrote in message new...

email send/receive
Anyone know how to get Outlook to check mail before it sends mail? Normal order is to send, then receive. I assume that your ISP requires a login to POP3 before sending? In Outlook 2002 you can go to the "Outgoing Server" tab for your account (click the "More Settings..." button) to set this up. -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "Norris" <NDBoyd@msn.com> wrote in message news:000001c34a2a$3c390ec0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Anyone know how to get Outlook to check ...

cannot send e-mail 01-12-10
Please help with this... The host 'mansila1@yahoo.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Subject 'You have received a YouTube video!', Account: 'mansila1@yahoo.com', Server: 'mansila1@yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11003, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D 'mansila1@yahoo.com' is not a valid mail server name. Also, US-based free Yahoo accounts have webmail access only, no POP access. Windows Mail handles POP mail but not Yahoo webmail.=20 Yahoo's solutio...

Outlook 2003 mail stays in outbox
Outlook 2003... Messages sent from new messages go to outbox and stay until "Send Received" is hit a second time. I have set up a second PC with identical setting and all works fine ( mail clears outbox on first send). Both PCs are XP pro, SP1, Office 2003, SP1, POP3 dial up connection to ISP. Any ideas or docs appreciated ...

Mail merge #8
I have created a 19.2 mb 8 page newsletter. I want Kinkos to print it so that each newsletter copy is printed with an addressee on the front page. That means I have to do a mail merge. When I select "print to Kinkos file prep tool" it takes about 1 minute per copy and I have 300 addressees to mail to. That means 5 hours and probably will run out of memory or so says Kinkos pro. Kinkos says that I can also just take the mail list which is an MDB file and send it to them as a PDF file which I don't think can be done. Anyone out there who has been through this? Thanks, Jeff ...

Send as/Send-on-behalf
Hi, Our organistion uses Exchange 2003 as part of SBS 2003. We have two mailboxes which are used in addition to user mailboxes - they are "Information" and "Webmaster". Several people open these mailboxes from their PC's, and use the send-as/send-on-behalf permission to send from these email addresses (information@ and webmaster@). On client PC's, when they select "Information" in the "From:" field, the email raches the recipent, showing as if it came from Information@, but yet, when they put "Webmaster" in the "From:" field,...

Exchange 2003 SMTP lockdown #2
How do I secure smtp to only let authenticated users send e-mails for internal users and users that connect using pop3. Thanks Amador I am also having this problem. I must have not configured something somewhere. But to explain further....... If i use my home pc to connect to our mail server and send a mail from say fred@company.com to Paul@company.com it will get sent. This means that if someone gets hold of a few of our company addresses, they can send mails to them. Our server needs auth if you are sending from fred@company.com to paul@hotmail.com so thats ok. Any help please Paul &...

creating an archive or copy of all incomming & out going mail
Running exchange2k & need to know the easiest way to create an archive or copy of all incomming & outgoing e-mail. Message Journaling http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en- us;q261173 HTH Lisa >-----Original Message----- >Running exchange2k & need to know the easiest way to create an archive or copy of all incomming & outgoing e- mail. >. > ...

outlook keeps sending the same email
when i click send button, the email gets to the sending item folder and outlook keeps sending the same email over and over. Email stays in sending item folder sends the same email until i delet it by myself. I don't know why this is happening. This is outlook express 6 running on Windows2000svr. Thanks, Shi ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com This newsgroup is for support of Outlook, which comes with Microsoft Office, not Outlook Express. Post this to th...

Problem with static variables in a Dll
When a Dll is compiled with _UNICODE directive, static variables will not retain their values (reseted to zeros) All go well when compling without _UNICODE directive MSDN says static variable required initialisation has to declared in #pragma init_seg but I have tried with no luck. Pls help! On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 03:53:04 -0700, ifi wrote: > When a Dll is compiled with _UNICODE directive, static variables will not > retain their values (reseted to zeros) > All go well when compling without _UNICODE directive > MSDN says static variable required initialisation has to declared in ...

Mail Merge 06-17-07
Im creating a database for someone and i want to be able to do a mail merge. I have various tables with the information and can do a query to obtain a table of the relevant data, i have a word document with fields setup, such as client name etc. I want the database to have a form with a button that will create the letters and open word with the data filled in so the client can check the letters and just click print if they are ok. I cant seem to find much that shows how to best do this. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Im using access 2007 Thanks ...

How do I config users so they can send email with different reply
Hi, I have an Windows Active Directory Domain, with Exchange 2003 in Native mode. We own 2 different email domains, A.Com & B.Com. Users with windows accounts can receve email from either email domain, as I have setup email adddress for each user. Eg. User1@A.Com User1@B.com. This all works fine, but we also need to be able to send email from either domain. The active directory is setup a DNS name of A.Com, and we get an error message if we try to email from User1@B.com The error message is :- Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: He...

CTabCtrl Problem #2
I am using a Tabed interface in my application. While user removing one tab manually, My application have a option for the next selected tab (Adjucent Right or Left). This is working fine for me. In one case, the number of tabs are more than the number of tabs can show in a window, user scroll to the last tab bar and try to close the tab starting from last one. According to the setting (Adjucent Left) my application select the tab adjucent left to the one closed. The code looks like if(m_tabctrl.GetItemCount() > 0) { if(index - 1 >= 0) index--; m_tabctrl.SetCurSel(index); /...

CRM mail router marking e-mails as read
Hello all I have a couple of questions regarding the CRM E-mail router for V3 Incoming emails into Outlook (with CRM desktop client) are getting marked as read before they actually are. Is this by design? Is so, is there a config setting somewhere that can change this behavior Andy comments or suggestions would gratefully received I assume the outlook client has the rules applied for the exchange connector. The action of sending the mail to the crm exchange sync mailbox appears to mark the email as read -- ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery...

Offline email did not send
Yesterday I created and answered a number of email messages offline. Before I logged out of Outlook, I checked the Outbox and they were in there. This morning, I connected to the lan and started up Outlook. After a couple of minutes, I checked the sent folder. None of the emails were in there. I then checked the Outbox and they were not in there either. I contacted one of the would-be recipients of my emails 30 minutes later and she did not receive any from me. In the past, I have worked offline many times and the emails ended up in my sent folder the next morning after connecting to the lan....

SMTP Queue Growth
hi i am facing problem that my SMTP gateway.on SMTP gateway queue size is increasing.i expalin the infrastructure.i have exchane server 2000 which is hosting my public domain and another pc with windows 2000 working as SMTP gateway.i am using smtp connector b/w the gateway and exchange .to get the mail from ISP i am using GFI pop2Exchange which is installed on SMTP gateway.now the problem is my smtp queue growth is increasing.there r 480 mails at the moment in the queue.but its not delevering the both inbond and outbond mails.all other settings are ok. bhatti Assuming you meant queue...

IIS SMTP or Exchange SMTP?
I have a situation where I need to insert a smarhost into outbound mailflow in one city. I am looking into linux boxen as well as windows flavors. The one thing this smarthost must do besides receive internal mail and route it out, is stamp a disclaimer on it. I see from http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=317680 that this can be done with VBScript, but the question is, will it work with IIS SMTP alone, or does it require Exchange SMTP to work? Thanks, This will work fine with a stand alone IIS installation. ...

SMTP connector #13
I have exchange 2003 and exchange 5.5 in the domain, running in mixed mode. I have installed SMTP connector in exch 2003 server. Can I remove Internet mail service in exch 5.5 safely. I am concerned because we still have clients connecting to POP3 in exch 5.5 server. they shouldnt be disturbed in sending/receiving mails. Also, SMTP connector is seen in exchange 5.5 server. Please advise. Thanks You can remove the IMS and SMTP email will go out through the SMTP Connector. And you should update the POP3 profiles to point to the correct SMTP server. If your POP3 Clients are point...