Slow to Read Mail

Please help!!!  When I open outlook and scroll from one
message to another, or click on a message, it takes about
a second and a half or longer to display the message.
This is even if I read one message, go to a 2nd, and then
return to the first (when the first one should still be in
the system's cache).  How do I get this program to run
faster?  Oh, this happens when the system is not linked to
a network too.  Its running on a 1.7 gighz laptop with 512
meg SDRAM.

Thanks,
Mark

Is this Outlook 2002, by any chance?  If so, try disabling the integration
with Instant Messenger in Tools | Options | Other and see if that speeds
things up.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

In news:18ef01c3dfcd$6c24b2e0$a601280a@phx.gbl,
Mark wrote:

> Please help!!!  When I open outlook and scroll from one
> message to another, or click on a message, it takes about
> a second and a half or longer to display the message.
> This is even if I read one message, go to a 2nd, and then
> return to the first (when the first one should still be in
> the system's cache).  How do I get this program to run
> faster?  Oh, this happens when the system is not linked to
> a network too.  Its running on a 1.7 gighz laptop with 512
> meg SDRAM.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Are you using a PST file to store your e-mails? Outlook 2002 has a limit of
2GB of PST file. But that's the limit by theory. In reality, if your PST
reaches 1.5GB or larger, your Outlook runs very slowly. Try archiving your
e-mails into the archive folder.

"Mark" <mark7466610@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Please help!!!  When I open outlook and scroll from one
> message to another, or click on a message, it takes about
> a second and a half or longer to display the message.
> This is even if I read one message, go to a 2nd, and then
> return to the first (when the first one should still be in
> the system's cache).  How do I get this program to run
> faster?  Oh, this happens when the system is not linked to
> a network too.  Its running on a 1.7 gighz laptop with 512
> meg SDRAM.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

0
henrychang (15)
1/21/2004 4:06:20 AM
Thank you. This worked for me...

--
Grizzly

**If you can't be good, then name it after me...**
"Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org> wrote in
message news:O%23xiKA93DHA.1804@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Is this Outlook 2002, by any chance?  If so, try disabling the integration
> with Instant Messenger in Tools | Options | Other and see if that speeds
> things up.
>
> --
> Jocelyn Fiorello
> MVP - Outlook
>
> *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please
> reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***
>

> In news:18ef01c3dfcd$6c24b2e0$a601280a@phx.gbl,
> Mark wrote:
>
> > Please help!!!  When I open outlook and scroll from one
> > message to another, or click on a message, it takes about
> > a second and a half or longer to display the message.
> > This is even if I read one message, go to a 2nd, and then
> > return to the first (when the first one should still be in
> > the system's cache).  How do I get this program to run
> > faster?  Oh, this happens when the system is not linked to
> > a network too.  Its running on a 1.7 gighz laptop with 512
> > meg SDRAM.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mark

0
Grizzly

e-mail merge through outlook
When I use e-mail merge from Excel to Word (2002 Office XP Editions), the line spacing changes from single-space to double-space and messes up the formatting of my e-mail letter. It is being sent through Outlook 2002 via my Pop account. Anybody know of a workaround or a fix besides changing to a plain text merge??? Please e-mail back with any ideas! Thanks in advance for your help! Eric ...

Views not able to read resource.h
Hi, I've got a project (VC++ 6.0) with several views and dialogs. Tey were created with the dialog editor just as it should be, got an ID in resource.h (like IDD_DLGOBJEKTE), got a class attached to them; everything seemed fine. Now, after some months in coding, the views started not to be able to read resource.h as it seems. There is a line in every of the view-classes: "enum { IDD = IDD_ANYNAME };". The IDD_ANYNAME variable is corretly defined in resource.h. Nevertheless the compiler seems not to be able to resolve the constant's name to its value. When I manually do so (...

Build is slow.
Hello. The environment is 6.0 vc++. When one DLL has 1700 source codes. Build is slow. debug start takes time. Please teach a good solution. Thanks, Buy a faster computer. ;) AliR. "teratera" <teratera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:23DF80A8-723F-43A3-A5D9-7722EEA97578@microsoft.com... > Hello. > > The environment is 6.0 vc++. > When one DLL has 1700 source codes. > > Build is slow. > debug start takes time. > Please teach a good solution. > > Thanks, > "teratera" <teratera@discussions.microsoft.com>...

mail delivery delay
Hi! We have Outlook 2003 and I find that I have several email addresses that I have always regularly mail to now are being delayed. I get this message: could not deliver the message in the time limit specified. Then the error code: server.xxx.local #4.4.7 I only have a problem with 2 or 3 addresses to different places and it started on another of our computers today. I can email to them from Yahoo.com and they can send back. Anyone have this? Thanks ...

Use Mailing Address
I have a database of technician addresses. Sometimes their location address is different from their mailing address. We check a box labeled "use mailing address" and then we fill out their mailing address. I have a report that prints their regular address but I don't know how to make the report look at the alternate mailing address when that checkbox is checked. Can anyone help me with this? In the query that comprises the recordsource for the report, use something like: IIf([UseMailingAddress], [MailingAddress], [LocationAddress]) As Address -- Doug Steele, Microsoft A...

Slow Navigating Folders for attachments!!
Using Outlook-2002. Recently, since about a month ago, when I try to save attachments or attach files to messages and attempt to navigate to the folder of interest (after I click on the attach button), navigation is VERY slow - like if I click on a sub-folder, it may take over a minute for that sub-folder to open. It doesn't matter if other apps are running, or if I'm just changing to a different drive, or to the root directory. Everything takes minutes! It renders it useless :-( Any ideas? ...

Outlook 2002 exporting junk mail addresses
Can this be done? Thanks! "HAAK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:053401c3b405$9fa93ad0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Can this be done? Thanks! search for, and copy, the file called "Junk senders.txt" OK...thanks a lot. I'll try it. >-----Original Message----- >"HAAK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message >news:053401c3b405$9fa93ad0$a001280a@phx.gbl... >> Can this be done? Thanks! > >search for, and copy, the file called "Junk senders.txt" > ...

Turning off read receipts once turned on
In Outlook 2000 (configured for CW), the first time an e- mail is opened with a read receipt request, you have a pop-up option to sned a receipt everytime you get a read receipt request. If this is turned on, how can you turn it back off? Going into the Tools>Options>E-mail Options>Tracking Options does not allow you to change your preference once you have accepted read receipts. Neither does reinstalling office. Any suggestions? ...

Word 2003
It takes sometimes 10 seconds when I press crtl+c (copy) or crtl+x (cut) in a text inside Word 2003. Even if it is only one word it takes a lot of time just to copy or cut or paste it. That does not happen in Excel or Power Point only in Word. Please can anybody help me to solve this very annoying issue? Thank you very much indeed, Anderson From reading other postings on this forum, it seems that poor AddIns can cause this latency. I have also found that doing a clean up of the temp files seems to help as well. Hope this helps DeanH "Anderson" wrote: ...

Mail Goes missing after 1 day
Hi, I was wondering if anybody had seen this before: On a Windows XP Machine Running Outlook XP. Mail in the inbox dissappears after one day whether it has been read or not. I looked in all the other folders in case it was moved for some reason, but no luck. This doesn't happen when I check my mail remotely through the web at the college here, but when I use outlook on my computer it doesnt stay unless I move it to another folder. I looked in the settings to see if there was anything to change to prevent this, but I found nothing. The Admin has been looking too but found no r...

Slow Slow Slow
When I click between different emails in my inbox, it takes ages for it to appear on the display. My internet connection is super fast. I have recently had to reinstall Office XP and I think a setting has been changed somewhere. I have an anti-virus but it never slowed it down like this before. To put in perspective, I've had 120 spams today and its took 37 minutes to delete them because of this problem. I have ran a virus check and its fine. Any thoughts on a registry tweak?? Cheers Carl Carl Sheldon <ccshell@courtlands5.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > When I click between differe...

e-mail #28
I am somewhat embarassed to post this message but--- I have a LAN in my house with a server running Win 2000 Adv Server and two other PCs running Win 2000 Pro. I would like to implement e-mail on my LAN but have been unable to find out where the information is detailing how to set up MS e-mail on an intranet. Please Help! ...

Mails from some domains not being received
My Exchange 2007 SP1 (part of SBS 2008) is not receiving mails from at least two domains hosted on acmkokeaea.gs01.gridserver.com. Though the IP address has been added in the IP Allow list the mails do not reach the Exchange and are not being bounced. How can this be corrected? Thanking you, Rajiv K Khandelwal Rajiv K Khandelwal <rajiv@vardaan.nospam.net> wrote: > My Exchange 2007 SP1 (part of SBS 2008) is not receiving mails from > at least two domains hosted on acmkokeaea.gs01.gridserver.com. Though > the IP address has been added in the IP Allow list the...

How can I read OST file
I have a good friend who was let go from her company. She has her OST file from her job and wants to get her info out of it. When I try and use it I get a message that it was configured for a different mailbox. Any way around this? Check here: http://officerecovery.com/exchange/?204800 -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! "Geoff Rhodes" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

Keyboard characters being skipped/missed when typing on internet eg internet mail packages, username/password info
>I have a problem in that on both my new desktop PC and laptop (both with MS > Vista and IE6) typed characters are not carrying on to the screen. Very > annoying when trying to type long e-mails inevitabley having to type > message > in Word then cut and paste into internet e-mail package. Very frustrating > when signing into sites with username/password access and you keep getting > barred because of a missing character - easily spotted in username but not > password when only *** show. > > Any help appreciated > > Regards > Brian &...

Mail sending
I have problem with sending mails through windows Live mail and....? Did you add the info to access your email account? Did it work before? Do you get an error message? Who provides your email account? -- Dave N. MS-MVP (Mail) Windows 7 Ultimate 64 http://explore.live.com/windows-live-mail http://download.live.com/wlmail "merlin" wrote in message news:371ABC48-1409-4EC6-969B-8CBA0151C77A@microsoft.com... I have problem with sending mails through windows Live mail We have answers for that. "merlin" <merlin@discussions.microsoft.com>...

slow loading, slow updating
I am using MS Money in a non-standard application. I am maintaining ledgersin checkbook fashion for 100 accounts, each set up as a separate checking account. Each of those has 3 transactions set up as automatic bill pays. Other than that, there are very few entries, averaging 6 per year at most. The program takes about 5 minutes to load. Corrections, such as posting bill payments, takes approx 10 seconds to cycle through: Open, edit, enter, wait........ Open, edit, enter, wait.....etc. I am not doing any online updating or anything like that. Is there anything I can do to speed this ...

Mail in the out box
I am getting a message when I exit form the outlook, saying that " you have a mail in your out box do you want send it now" when I check the out box thare is no mail. how can I get rid of this message. Thanks Raghu ...

READ / DELIVERY RECIEPTS
What is the difference in "Read" & "Delivery" reciepts? Chad <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > What is the difference in "Read" & "Delivery" reciepts? Asked and answered already. No need to ask more than once. -- Brian Tillman ...

Slow Viewing e-mails
Suddenly it's very slow to view e-mails in Outlook 2002. Any kind of e-mail, with or without attachments. It worked fine until a few days ago. Anyone have any ideas? Found an answer to the problem in another post. Simply turning of the Messenger Integration fixed everything. /Johan >-----Original Message----- >Suddenly it's very slow to view e-mails in Outlook 2002. >Any kind of e-mail, with or without attachments. It >worked fine until a few days ago. Anyone have any ideas? >. > On 25 nov 2003 Johan wrote: > Found an answer to the problem in another pos...

Save As a "Read-Only" Doc to Regular doc
Hi Everyone, What I essentially need to do is to create a "Master" form that everyone can use but won't be able to save on top of Master. so that's why I'm making the form as "Read-Only" however I notice that if another user just Save As the file to another name the "Read-Only" option still stay with the new doc, and if I put "Password to Modify" that password still also stay with the new document the user save as. Is there a way to do this so that neither the "Read-Only" nor the "Password to Modify" will ...

why GetFieldValue() is so slow
I get connected a vfp6 dbf file, and the total record number is about 50000, I want to export specified field value ( most of their type are string), and the result is correct, but it works toooooo slow, and I find the function GetFieldValue takes most time. my code is: while(!m_Rs.IsEOF()) { for(index=0; index < m_ListDest.GetCount(); index++) { strLine=m_pSortItem[m_pSortList[index]]; m_Rs.GetFieldValue(m_pSortList[index], strVal); strVal.TrimRight(_T(' ')); if(strVal == "" && m_isFilter) continue; strLine.Insert(0, _T('[')); ...

Outlook 2003 Pro with XP Pro Too Slow with McAfee 2004
I just bought a new high-end brandname laptop with XP Pro. In it, I: - installed Office 2003 Pro, - installed McAfee Internet Security Center 6.0 2004 (including Firewall, AntiVirus, Privacy Service, Spamkiller), and - downloaded and installed all latest MS and McAfee software updates, by the books. Hoping to lessen intra-computer response, I opted out some sub-features in McAfee. The installations were easy. Without McAfee, Outlook 2003 was fast, reliable. After installing and working with McAfee, Outlook 2003 is miserably slow in most operations (send/receive, clicking on ema...

Safe Reading Mode ?
With IE7, when I have a pdf open, and sometimes other docs, and click on a link, a message pops up that the operation is not allowed in "Safe Reading Mode." What is that, and how do I change the properties? I have a lot of safety selections going on but never encountered this one until the past week. Using Secunia, and MS Security Essentials with others updated weekly (not all being used daily); adaptive software for the blind. Secunia is only program that starts on start-up. eml is only file ext that is omitted in Security Essentials. Thank you, as usual. -- C...

Is there a way to display Public Folders in the All Mail Folders view? Outlook2003
We are getting ready to deploy Outlook 2003 to about 10,000 users. The powers that be do not want the users to have to click on the folder icon in order to see Public Folders (PF). They want them to be in their face when the software is first deployed. A new installation shows, on the left side of the window, Favorite Folders, All Mail Folders (which is the user's mailbox and folders that are on the Exchange server), large icons for Mail, Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks, small icons for Notes, Folder View, and Shortcuts. Then there's the little double arrow to configure all of the icons...