Slow link opening

Outlook 2002 / Office XP
SP2 and all available on-line patches applied

Recently, it has become painfully slow to open website links
by clicking on them in messages in Outlook.

It behaves like this:
1. I click a link in a mail message
2. Oulook waits for 40 seconds (mouse pointer is a pointing hand for 10
seconds, then as an hourglass)
3. Internet Explorer starts
4 After 40 more seconds, the web page shows up

Links from within Word documents or in the "Favorites" folder
open just fine, without delay. Also links in Outlook Express,
messages work all right. Seems as if it's only messages in
Outlook that has this problem.

I have run the installation / repair Office installation procedure,
but it didn't solve or affect the problem in any way.

So... does anyone know what is causing this and what to do
about it?
--
Ture Magnusson
Microsoft MVP - Excel

0
Ture

Seems as if running SCANPST and repairing the outlook.pst file
helped fix the problem. Thanks to Patrick Reed for helping me
with this.

--
Ture Magnusson
Karlstad, Sweden

"Ture Magnusson" <tureATturedataDOTse.nospam.please> wrote in message
> Outlook 2002 / Office XP
> SP2 and all available on-line patches applied
>
> Recently, it has become painfully slow to open website links
> by clicking on them in messages in Outlook.
>
> It behaves like this:
> 1. I click a link in a mail message
> 2. Oulook waits for 40 seconds (mouse pointer is a pointing hand for 10
> seconds, then as an hourglass)
> 3. Internet Explorer starts
> 4 After 40 more seconds, the web page shows up
>
> Links from within Word documents or in the "Favorites" folder
> open just fine, without delay. Also links in Outlook Express,
> messages work all right. Seems as if it's only messages in
> Outlook that has this problem.
>
> I have run the installation / repair Office installation procedure,
> but it didn't solve or affect the problem in any way.
>
> So... does anyone know what is causing this and what to do
> about it?
> --
> Ture Magnusson
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Karlstad, Sweden

0
Ture

Build is slow.
Hello. The environment is 6.0 vc++. When one DLL has 1700 source codes. Build is slow. debug start takes time. Please teach a good solution. Thanks, Buy a faster computer. ;) AliR. "teratera" <teratera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:23DF80A8-723F-43A3-A5D9-7722EEA97578@microsoft.com... > Hello. > > The environment is 6.0 vc++. > When one DLL has 1700 source codes. > > Build is slow. > debug start takes time. > Please teach a good solution. > > Thanks, > "teratera" <teratera@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Displaying a linked Image in a spreadsheet
Hi, I am trying to have Excel show/display an image from a file but am not having any luck. What I am looking for is this: - The image file will get updated weekly - so I am not looking to embed an image one time. I want it to link to the source file and when I update the image file, it will reflect the new image in Excel. Inserting an image file embeds the image but there is no link to the source file for updates. I tried using the image control - but that did not appear to work right. It did display the image, but the size was too large, and I was not able to resize the displayed ...

Outlook crashes before opening with error MSSchedule+
Cannot open Outlook, it comes up with the statemment "unable to switch to Microsoft Schedule+ as your primary calendar. when you hit ok, Outlook tries to load then it crashes with a Microsoft Error box. end of story. HELP! thanks. ...

Where do I report broken download links?
I am trying to download the latest field service hot fix for Great Plains 7.0 from CustomerSource. There are links to the hot fix 700g20, but it's broken. Clicking on it gives me a "You are not authorized to view this page" error. (Other links on that page work, though). Anyone know where report broken links to Microsoft? Are there alternative download sites for this hot fix? John, I think all the pages on CustomerSource have a Contact Us button in the upper right corner. That's probably where I would start. The link is not working for me either. -- Victoria ...

trying to use links
Help! I cannot open any links that are contained in stuff that i read on my hotmail account through outlook express. Any advice to solve this would be greatly appreciated. TIA. carl wrote: > Help! I cannot open any links that are contained in stuff that i read > on my hotmail account through outlook express. Any advice to solve > this would be greatly appreciated. TIA. Hi - This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a fast...

Outlook Opens SLOWLY
My Outlook windows seem to open so much more SLOWLY than other windows. Could there possibly be something slowing it down? If so, what can I check and/or fix to take care of this? I have Outlook 2007 and Windows XP. Thanks in advance to whomever may be able to help. Candy Perhaps so. What antivirus software are you running? Has it always been slow or did this start recently? Do you have a LOT of data (emails, contacts, calendar, etc.) in it? What kind of machine do you have? How much RAM? Do you have a lot of other things running at the same time? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, ...

Slow Navigating Folders for attachments!!
Using Outlook-2002. Recently, since about a month ago, when I try to save attachments or attach files to messages and attempt to navigate to the folder of interest (after I click on the attach button), navigation is VERY slow - like if I click on a sub-folder, it may take over a minute for that sub-folder to open. It doesn't matter if other apps are running, or if I'm just changing to a different drive, or to the root directory. Everything takes minutes! It renders it useless :-( Any ideas? ...

Slow Slow Slow
When I click between different emails in my inbox, it takes ages for it to appear on the display. My internet connection is super fast. I have recently had to reinstall Office XP and I think a setting has been changed somewhere. I have an anti-virus but it never slowed it down like this before. To put in perspective, I've had 120 spams today and its took 37 minutes to delete them because of this problem. I have ran a virus check and its fine. Any thoughts on a registry tweak?? Cheers Carl Carl Sheldon <ccshell@courtlands5.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > When I click between differe...

Storing vs Linking Attachments
Here's a question that has been baffling me... I have a split Access DB (2002, fe/be). I want to be able to take any file (doc, xls, pdf, etc.) and "insert" it into by DB, meaning that if I have a Word Document, I want to be able to attach it to a record. I know the preference is to store the files in a folder, and that is my preference. I've seen and tested the Open/Save API's, but how can I attach the hyperlink of the UNC of where the attachment is put on the network into a field so that all that has to be done is click on the hyperlink? I have a table set up...

Paste Link not copying hyperlinks
Excel 2007: When pasting the copied data as a link (MS Office 2007 Binary Format) the copied data is inserted into the new worksheet but not the hyperlinks I inserted in the cells. What should I do? ...

Word 2003
It takes sometimes 10 seconds when I press crtl+c (copy) or crtl+x (cut) in a text inside Word 2003. Even if it is only one word it takes a lot of time just to copy or cut or paste it. That does not happen in Excel or Power Point only in Word. Please can anybody help me to solve this very annoying issue? Thank you very much indeed, Anderson From reading other postings on this forum, it seems that poor AddIns can cause this latency. I have also found that doing a clean up of the temp files seems to help as well. Hope this helps DeanH "Anderson" wrote: ...

slow loading, slow updating
I am using MS Money in a non-standard application. I am maintaining ledgersin checkbook fashion for 100 accounts, each set up as a separate checking account. Each of those has 3 transactions set up as automatic bill pays. Other than that, there are very few entries, averaging 6 per year at most. The program takes about 5 minutes to load. Corrections, such as posting bill payments, takes approx 10 seconds to cycle through: Open, edit, enter, wait........ Open, edit, enter, wait.....etc. I am not doing any online updating or anything like that. Is there anything I can do to speed this ...

Rosters and adding hours linked to a persons name
Hi All, I have a roster that goes across 8 weeks . Each line (Say Line 2) corresponds to the number of hours in that week - being line 2 that a person works . Line 2 is 44 hours, Line 5 may be 36 hours etc etc. At the end of the 8 weeks I want to know how many hours each staff member has worked. Unfortunately staff do not start on a line and systematically progress from week to week down the line numbers but will often chop and change from line 2 to line 6 and then to line 4 etc. I enter the name of the person on the line across the spreadsheet but how can I now have the program look ...

Slow Viewing e-mails
Suddenly it's very slow to view e-mails in Outlook 2002. Any kind of e-mail, with or without attachments. It worked fine until a few days ago. Anyone have any ideas? Found an answer to the problem in another post. Simply turning of the Messenger Integration fixed everything. /Johan >-----Original Message----- >Suddenly it's very slow to view e-mails in Outlook 2002. >Any kind of e-mail, with or without attachments. It >worked fine until a few days ago. Anyone have any ideas? >. > On 25 nov 2003 Johan wrote: > Found an answer to the problem in another pos...

How to create a CASE link in the "Quick Create" on homepage?
How to create a CASE link in the "Quick Create" on homepage? At the moment, there are only [Account] [Contact] [Lead] and [Opportunity]. Have you tried the addon by customereffective? http://www.customereffective.com/interior.asp?navigationid=3&parentid=0&sitecontentid=3 "CEO" <ceo_uk@msn.com> wrote in message news:3BE9520A-57EC-42C4-99D0-29004993F76F@microsoft.com... > How to create a CASE link in the "Quick Create" on homepage? > At the moment, there are only [Account] [Contact] [Lead] and > [Opportunity]. Thanks, but I want a fr...

After clicking Reply the window opens but Outlook stays on top
When replying to an email Outlook usually opens the window on top of the program so the Outlook window is covered. However, occasionally when I click on Reply it opens a "reply" window underneath the Outlook window. I have to minimize Outlook to access the reply email. This is an intermittent problem. Does anyone know how to fix this? ...

why GetFieldValue() is so slow
I get connected a vfp6 dbf file, and the total record number is about 50000, I want to export specified field value ( most of their type are string), and the result is correct, but it works toooooo slow, and I find the function GetFieldValue takes most time. my code is: while(!m_Rs.IsEOF()) { for(index=0; index < m_ListDest.GetCount(); index++) { strLine=m_pSortItem[m_pSortList[index]]; m_Rs.GetFieldValue(m_pSortList[index], strVal); strVal.TrimRight(_T(' ')); if(strVal == "" && m_isFilter) continue; strLine.Insert(0, _T('[')); ...

Outlook 2003 Pro with XP Pro Too Slow with McAfee 2004
I just bought a new high-end brandname laptop with XP Pro. In it, I: - installed Office 2003 Pro, - installed McAfee Internet Security Center 6.0 2004 (including Firewall, AntiVirus, Privacy Service, Spamkiller), and - downloaded and installed all latest MS and McAfee software updates, by the books. Hoping to lessen intra-computer response, I opted out some sub-features in McAfee. The installations were easy. Without McAfee, Outlook 2003 was fast, reliable. After installing and working with McAfee, Outlook 2003 is miserably slow in most operations (send/receive, clicking on ema...

Links to other documents
I have a giant database and have moved some formulas to a new spreadsheet. I keep finding refrenses to my old document and want to repair the formulas to refrence the current document. Is there a way to find all refrences to other documents using a search? Can I search in the charts for refrences as well? -- Scott Miller University of Washington Chemistry You should be able to do a Find and Replace using [Book1]Sheet1! in the find slot (replacing it with the names you use of course), and nothing in the replace slot. As always, save your work first. "Scott" wrote: > I hav...

Running Start Links
I'm using the Microsoft Office Running Start Help site for rolling out 2007. However, it seems that a number of links are no longer working and users are being linked to a Microsoft Search Site. Is there an update for this app? Or am I stuck just editing all the links so the point to the right url? thanks http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=E466D4D3-3C57-4AE3-9EBE-29E9D8D90804&displaylang=en -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "JustSc0tt...

URL links won't open in MS Outlook 2000
Hello, When I double click on the URL link sent in an email, Outlook 2000 won't open it. I run OS Win 2000 SP 4 with MS Office 2000. Does anyone knows a fix to this problem? Thanks Jacek I've got the same problem. Let >-----Original Message----- >Hello, > >When I double click on the URL link sent in an email, >Outlook 2000 won't open it. I run OS Win 2000 SP 4 with MS >Office 2000. Does anyone knows a fix to this problem? > >Thanks Jacek >. > ...

Exchange 2000 very slow
My Exchange 2000 SP4 is very slow and every computer keep showing the Outlook Send/Receive Progress window. This is happen every morning. I have to restart the Exchange Server twice a day, once in the morning and later in the afternoon. Once I do that then everything is ok until the afternoon around 3:30pm. Could someone please tell what could be causing this problem and how can I solve the problem? Thanks in advance, Look for any processes that start to eat more ram throughout the day. if you see one find out what app it is from and check the manufacturer for an update. Sounds li...

Outlook Express Freezes on Opening
I'm not sure why, but it just started a couple days ago. But whenever I try to open Outlook Express, it just freezes up. I got it to open once or twice, and that was it. I have tried downloading every single update for Windows XP. I haven't installed anything new, except for those updates, so I don't know what would be causing it. But if anyone knows why any help would be greatly appreciated. Either reply to this post or email me at chazzy1864@yahoo.com Charlie Charlie wrote: > I'm not sure why, but it just started a couple days ago. > But whenever I try to ope...

CRM 4.0
Hi, After upgrading the crm 4.0 all reports seems to be duplicated, but reports are working fine. when enter reporting services I can see 2 folders for the company, one that doesn't contain any report. So i deleted it. Reports are running fine in reports server. After this I get the following error when running the reports in CRM: An error has occured try this action again. if the problem continues, check Microsoft Dynamics CRM community for solutions or contact your organization's Microsoft Dynamics crm administrator Finally you can contact CRM support. ANY IDEAS??? Have...

How do I link an image to a cell?
I have a list of addresses in an excel sheet and want to print al addresses on separate cards. One of the colums contains several names: i.e Joe, Carol, Will I want for each row (= address) where the cell contains "Joe" tha excel prints joe.jpg (Joe's signature) on the card etc. How do I do this based on this excel-file? Can I do it using Excel? Or do I need Word? Or publisher or combination? I use Office 97 and publisher 97 but could make use of a newer versio (2002) if necessary. TIA! T ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.E...