Size of the PST file too big w/ Outlook 2000

Hi you all!
I am using Outlook 2000 and I want to decrease the size of my outlook.pst
file. I know that when you get over 1GB, you're heading for problems...
I run the archiving on a few folders; it did fine and created the archive
files, but the original outlook.pst file has not changed at all in size.
Any idea?

Nicolas

0
macarez (122)

You need to compact the file.  Right click on outlook today/personal folders
and select properties.  select advanced and then compact.

"Nicolas Macarez" <macarez@free.fr> wrote in message
> Hi you all!
> I am using Outlook 2000 and I want to decrease the size of my outlook.pst
> file. I know that when you get over 1GB, you're heading for problems...
> I run the archiving on a few folders; it did fine and created the archive
> files, but the original outlook.pst file has not changed at all in size.
> Any idea?
>
> Nicolas

0
neoheart (690)
5/12/2004 5:03:11 PM
It worked fine!
Many thanks
Nicolas

"neo [mvp outlook]" <neoheart@remove-heart.mvps.org> wrote in message
> You need to compact the file.  Right click on outlook today/personal
folders
> and select properties.  select advanced and then compact.
>
> "Nicolas Macarez" <macarez@free.fr> wrote in message
> > Hi you all!
> > I am using Outlook 2000 and I want to decrease the size of my
outlook.pst
> > file. I know that when you get over 1GB, you're heading for problems...
> > I run the archiving on a few folders; it did fine and created the
archive
> > files, but the original outlook.pst file has not changed at all in size.
> > Any idea?
> >
> > Nicolas

0
macarez (122)

Page Size Sheet Size Not The Same
Hi - I'm having trouble with printing in Publisher 2007. I have a 5.5x8.5 page size and I want to print that size paper. I've tried to set the sheet to custom size in the printer setup, but Publisher still want a 5.5x8.5 Publisher size printing on a full 8.5x11 sheet. I don't get it. I never had this problem with the Publisher 2003 or anyother MS product including the other Office 2007 programs. Can anyone help clue me in? Even if I create a document as 5.5x8.5 size it will publish a 8.5x11 .pdf file. Please Help! Jerry The new Publisher page setup is not user friendly. ...

Mission Impossible
I've been given the project of comparing a current Excel Spreadsheet against a historical Spreadsheet. They both have the same Employee ID.( Or new ones added on the Current File ) My task is ( should I chose to accept - Mission Impossible ) Is to determine the following: * How many new records are added on the Current File * Identify any changes that occur on the either file This could possibly involves creating something called a - Changed File. I've used a program called ExelDiff, but it failed miserably , when the inform...

Screen Size
Dear All, I don't know if anyone can help but when I compose a message, the view of the message is huge! The font looks as though it's size 20 and it's driving me absoultely mad...... However, the emails in my sent / deleted files are normal size. Does anyone know why the view is so huge on my composing view and how I can get it back to normal? I've tried everything to no avail..... Many thanks! Sarah Grange, you wrote on Tue, 7 Oct 2008 02:05:00 -0700: > I don't know if anyone can help but when I compose a message, the view of > the message is huge! ...

File level backup of transaction logs
I run a full backup of server drives before doing an Exchange online backup. The transaction log directory is selected but none of the logs are backed up. It appears that there is no attempt to back up the files. I do not use an open file agent but I would have thought that all but the most recent logs would not be in use anyway. This isn't causing any problems as the online backup commits and flushes successfully but was just wondering why this is happening?? On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:41:02 -0800, "Pete Kelly" <PeteKelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I run a f...

Can not import *.PST filre into OE V6
Every time I click OUTLOOK to import I get "Cannot import messages to MAPI client". I can however clcik on other email application like Netscape, OE V4&6 and it will let me continue. Thanks!! The .pst file format is specific to Outlook, not Express. Open it in Outlook first and then import into Outlook Express. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Having searched the archives, Jarama <james.rama@nokia.com> asked | Every time I click OUTLOOK to import I get | "Cannot import messages to MAPI client"...

Outlook 2002 not working/Outlook Express is working_Help!
My Outlook stopped working last Friday, I'm not receiving any new emails, I cannot move any files that are in my inbox to any subfolders, and I'm not sure if the emails that I send are even getting to where they are supposed to go! I work for an advertising business and these emails are very important! I also have Outlook Express on the computer and I just checked it and it is receiving all of my emails. Outlook is set as the default and I've tried restarting the computer as well as removing Outlook and re-installing it and nothing works. Any feedback is appreciated! You...

Why is pointer and keyboard control is lost in certain Excel file.
When using certain Excel files, keyboard control and mounse pointer control is lost. Excel must be terminated using the Task manager in order to regain control of mouse and keyboard. Please help! ...

Importing Text File #3
Did ya ever have one of those lucky accidents that you like and would like to replicate? I created a simple excel workbook based on imported text data. Later, when I reopended the file, I noticed that the "refresh" button was activated and would auto import when I clicked. The best part is that the import specs were retained. I have no idea how I did this and have not been able to replicate the functionality. Can someone help? Thanks Bean, It sounds as if you used Data - Get external data. It remembers all the paramaters you specify, and you have only to do a refresh, ...

Cen an Excel file be set up to no longer open after a certain date????
Any help would be very much appreciated. Is there a way to set up an excel file to not open after a certain date or after a certain amount of time? Thank you in advance!! Lou Blah wrote: > Any help would be very much appreciated. > > Is there a way to set up an excel file to not open after a certain > date or after a certain amount of time? > > Thank you in advance!! > > Lou This could be done with a VBA Macro but you would have to take security measures to keep the user from tampering with the code. Maybe even incoporate code that deletes all of the data includ...

Importing PST File into Outlook.
Hi everyone. I copied a .PST onto a CD for B/U and then saved it back onto my HD. When I use either the IMPORT command or OPEN it says that it is not a .PST file. When I import it and browse it tuns into a .INK folder and won't open it. If I click on the file on my HD to open it it states that it is a .PST folder. Am I doing something wrong? I reformatted my HD and this is my only link to all my info in Outlook. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Did you remove the read-only check mark from its properties page? Do not try to import the file as you will lose some inform...

Importing bank's QIF file
Our bank (Webster) just rolled out their online banking system for former FirstFed bank customers. They finally got their Microsoft Money export routine to actually generate a file to download. However, when I imported the QIF file into Money, both deposits AND withdrawals showed up as deposits. How can the bank fix this problem? By buying a clue? Seriously, QIF is reasonably well documented and lots of people can generate it successfully. It sounds to me like they did a hack job and didn't even test it. This is apparently all too typical and is one of the reasons I Just Say No to m...

Slow CRM vs. stage.js file
Hey, as many others i have a slow system, now i maybe have found the solution, i have seen this descriped: In IIS, browse to the file '<crm virtual dir>/_common/scripts/Stage.js', show properties, goto 'HTTP Headers'. Check the 'Enable content expiration' checkbox, and select the 'Expire immediately' option (now this file (5kb) will be retrieved for each request, instead of caching it locally) The thing is, when i browse to the directory, and rightclick "stage.js" choose properties, then i cant see any "http header" ? Is it because ...

How to create stand alone file dialog #3
How can I create a stand alone file dialog application? for example, when i click a .exe file, just pop up a file dialog box. Thanks! Dade On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 07:46:15 GMT, Dade Huang wrote: >How can I create a stand alone file dialog application? >for example, when i click a .exe file, just pop up a file dialog box. #include "stdafx.h" #include "commdlg.h" int APIENTRY WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow) { OPENFILENAME ofn = {0}; ch...

Outlook 2003, Cache Exchange Mode
Am using Outlook 2003 with 'Cache Exchange Mode' enabled. Have Exchange 5.5 and Windows 2000 on the backend. It takes a long time to sync up. Outlook mentions going to the 'file' menu and then to the 'Cache Exchange Mode' menu and changing the setting to 'full download'. 'Cache Exchange Mode' is not available in the 'file' menu. I think this is because Exchange 5.5 is used on the back end instead of Exchange 2003? Is there a way to configure Outlook 2003 in 'Cache Exchange Mode' when you are using Exchange 5.5? There are ma...

Converting files for Excel
How do I convert *.wdb and *.mdb files and bring into excel? I have files from other people that made lists in access. In Excel there is no listing for these files. Any help? Open the access file and highlight the table you want to export t excel. go to File/Export In the Save type as: box click on the drop down and pick microsof excel In the save in: box click on the drop down and pick what excel file th table will be imported to and highlight. Click Save Hope this helps you. Larr -- keithl81 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- keithl816's ...

I just got a new system with Money 2003 preloaded and when attempting to open my backup file(on a floppy) from an earlier version of money all I get is a message that asks if I want to back up to floppy. If I click on "dont back up" all I get is the message "money is not properly installed. Please try set up again" Any idea what I might be doing wrong/not doing??? Help thanks Is it possible that you can reload Money from any disks supplied to you with the system? -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-...

Access to archive.pst file denied
My Outlook 2000 now says it is "Unable to display folder", with the message "File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file C:\My Documents\archive.pst". I was able to access this file until the message occurred. The file size is about 65 Meg. Is there some way to turn on permission for this file? Any help would be most appreciated. Dave ...

Integration Manager
I am trying to create an integration from an Excel file. I was able to use the ODBC options that will use the Excel file. I saw in another thread where I have to name the range? So I named the whole worksheet as a range but the Query BUulder says too many fields. So I named the range of data, and now nothing shows up to select in the query builder. I cannot find any help with this in the manuals. thanks Here are the steps I follow: 1.. Create the Excel file. Highlight the columns on the worksheet and give them a name in the Name Box (the box right above cell A1). This name will be ...

outlook express messages not showing text
Help! my outlook express is not showing the text for incoming messages. I am not sure what happened or was pushed to make this happen. I can go in to properties and view the message that way or export it into outlook to view. I have tried view and it says show all messages. Can anyone help me? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress...

Error
Any help appreciated I suspect this has something to do with either permissions and/or excel setting but ... HTML (or CSV) file is saved to network share Attempt to open this file using Excel ( 2000 or XP ) and get information (i) error message "The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding." If file is saved to local drive, there is no problem opening this file from within Excel How can we open this file direct from Excel? ...

Mailbox size
Hi, for some time i noticde that my live mail doesn't receive new messages unless i delete some old messages. i would leik to know if ther eis a maximum mailbox size in Live Mail. thank you. The mail box capacity is controlled by your isp. Check your account in the web interface to ensure you have not maxed out = your isp limit for your account If your account in WLM and a prior email client is/was configured to = never delete from the server, you may have over an extended=20 period of time reached your limit -- ....winston ms-mvp mail "Mirogzy" wrote...

CRM 4.0 Outlook Client Install
My company is coming onboard with CRM. We are in the phase 1 testing of the client for outlook. The problem I am having is this: I want to have non admin users do their own install. I also do not want to make them local admins to perform this install, and the have to take it away later. We not currently using SMS to push out applications. There must be another way. We have purchased this software from a reseller, and they are not offer much in the way of help. Thank you, Troy Hi Troy, This may not be of help, but without giving them some sort of Admin rights, I can't see h...

speed up mailbox size increases
we have an AD structure with a NLB EXCH 2003 FE and a clustered 2003 BE. We have a developed application that manages mailboxes, assigns the mailbox quota, and manages the email addresses. If a user asks for a larger mailbox quota, we change it within the application, and the application immediately changes it in AD. Unfortunately it seems like quite a lengthy process between when AD knows about the change and the Exchange server starts to act on the new quota amount. Is there a way I can tweak either AD or Exchange so that the changes occur on a more regular basis. Typically it tak...

changing file types
how can i change my omnipage image document to a txt file? It is a text document already, just not in the format I need it to be in. Have you tried Scansoft's website? I don't know if they have any support groups tho. This groups is for help with MS Publisher. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "cdjenson" <cdjenson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:60CFA235-D3F6-4E96-A809-3AE9F54537A0@microsoft.com... > how can i change my omnipage image document to a txt file? It is a text > document already, just not in the format I need it to be i...

Outlook Identity Files Changing PCs
How do you copy the old PCs identity files to the new one? Just copying doesn't work at all. If you're really talking about Outlook (which doesn't use "identities"), then look here for all the information you need on backup and restoration of Outlook data: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm If you're talking about Outlook Express, which is not supported in this forum, you can find the help you need at this OE website: http://insideOE.tomsterdam.com -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- pleas...